Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I'm making my own allspice/pimento dram via sous vide - does anybody have any other suggestions for cheap/easy liqueurs I can make at home and not have to drop $15-$30 on?

Also, this chartreuse shortage is real lame. Michigan hasn't had any green or yellow for months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

If anybody has access to yellow chartreuse, I’ll happily throw a shipping label + cost + thank you tip for your trouble.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Yellow is $93.19 (tax included) for a 750 ml at Total Wine here in WA, highest Liquor tax in the nation.

Ouch...

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Totalwine by me had 2 rows full a couple weeks ago. I can't promise when I'll be back again but I'll make a note to grab a bottle next time I'm there

I'll take it, assuming it isn't over $85...

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

lavaca posted:

I'm going to Chicago for the first time (discounting layovers in O'Hare) this month. So far the only drinking plan I have is Three Dots and a Dash the night I get there. For the rest of the trip I'm looking at one evening in Wicker Park, one day/evening in Hyde Park and one evening without any real plan yet. Where should I go for cocktails? is it actually worth making reservations anywhere short of The Aviary for drinks or is that overkill/awkward when I tell the server we're not ordering food?

Bonus points for something outside of the "stirred and bitter" template.

Dove’s Luncheonette does a great brunch with good cocktails. Big Star next door has reasonably priced fancy bourbon.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I’m excited to be back in Chicago at the end of April myself. Will make a note of everybody’s suggestions.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I needed maraschino liqueur and my place was out of Luxardo so I got Vergnano, and man i am not a fan. Tastes like cherry flavored medicine.

The Cherry Heering I just picked up for Singapore Slings is pretty tasty.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Everybody should have a bottle or two of Wine Preservation Spray for Vermouths/Sherrys/Port/Aromatized wines.

Anybody making anything fun for Fat Tuesday? A friend is having us over for dinner, and I think we'll be making Hurricanes and Pimms Cups. I see a lot of variation on Pimms Cups - what does everybody prefer - ginger ale? limonata?

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Feb 17, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

https://youtu.be/2RA3AaCO7A8

Has anybody here tried making “Super Juice”? I made a batch of lime and lemon juice and was pretty happy with the results. The mouthfeel isn’t quite the same as the juice of an actual citrus fruit, but I find the oils that get extracted out of the rind have a really great flavor that you don’t get from the juice. You really get a lot out of your fruit, and the acids didn’t cost me much.

I’ve even gotten into the habit of zesting any citrus I have and freezing it for future use. Normally I keep some frozen citrus ice cubes I can use for cocktails when I have friends over, but being able to just use frozen rinds to make fresh juice is pretty convenient.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Mar 10, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I'm fortunate enough to live near the birthplace of the Last Word - hopefully the monks keep our stock flowing. I managed to find a bottle of Green and Yellow in Detroit for around ~$70 a couple months ago, and a friend recently picked one up in Gross Pointe for $100, which seems ridiculously overpriced. Pretty sure bottles are prioritized to shops that also have a license to serve alcohol.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 14:15 on May 4, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Phil Moscowitz posted:

This is wild. Lately I’ve been able to see the stuff several bottles deep, $60.

I checked a couple bottle shops in Chicago over the weekend and it was nowhere to be found there too.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Apparently Giffard Banane Du Brasil is another one of those spirits that Michigan can't get in stock for some reason, but I came across a random liquor store that had a few bottles left and picked one up. This stuff is definitely the best tasting Banana liqueur I've had, although we don't have Tempus Fugit Creme De Banane in our state. I'll probably pick a bottle of that up next time I see it.

They also had Giffard's Carribean Pineapple, which I haven't seen in many stores - I was thinking about picking up a bottle of that to add it to my tiki bar.

They even had green chartreuse for $120 a bottle :cry:

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 13:50 on May 11, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

The Maestro posted:

Anybody have experience processing a large amount of cherries (25-30 lbs)?

I did it a few years ago - pitted them all, infused a case of whiskey, pulled the cherries out and covered them in sugar to make a whiskey-cherry syrup. It was awesome, but I also don’t want to spend 10 hrs pitting cherries again.

I was thinking of skipping that step and just covering them in sugar to make a syrup. I hesitate to infuse liquor without pitting them because the pits might be poisonous at that quantity and in liquor? Anybody know?

Or would it be possible to freeze jack em? Freeze them, then let them thaw and drip their tasty juice out?

I don't want to inadvertently poison you, but brewers will ferment beer on top of cherries with the pits without issue. No idea if a higher abv liquor would have a different effect, though.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 19, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

A local liquor store just started selling those smaller 100ml "vegetial" Charetreuse bitters for around ~$25. Tempted to pick one up for a sugar + perrier chartreuse spritzer.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Speaking of gin, I've been meaning to pick up a bottle of Roku - I know lots of cocktail nerds go crazy for the stuff, and the idea of using Japanese botanicals like yuzu sounds pretty tasty. What are the best gin-forward cocktails that lend themselves to using Roku instead of a London Dry Gin like Beefeater?

A Saturn sounds like it would be pretty good with it.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

PRADA SLUT posted:

Are there any dark rums that don't add caramel coloring? I seem to be allergic to it and looking for something for a Dark n Stormy or similar.

I don't know the specific compound in question, but I'm also allergic to the red dye in Campari, if relevant.

Hamilton Jamaican Pot Still Blonde is the same version as the black without the caramel coloring.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Apparently per this article neither one is actually aged so it is just different amounts of coloring

https://www.rumwonk.com/p/hamilton-jamaican-pot-still-goldblack

This is correct.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I want one of these for carbonated party cocktails:

https://a.co/d/4Lz9iRa

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I like Mixel, and am not a fan of paying for it as well, but I never really found any alternatives I actually liked using.

Nowadays, I'm a little more old school and keep a spreadsheet with cocktail recipes/bar, as well as adding my favorite cocktail recipes into my preferred recipe app, Pestle, which has a lifetime option. It also helps that the developer is active on Twitter and listens to user feedback.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

tonedef131 posted:

Outside of that I just use paprika to store recipes. Keep a cocktail category that’s separate from your food recipes, my only complaint is the search function only looks at titles not ingredients. Love to be able to just download recipes direct from a webpage when I see one I wanna try and flag it for the next time I’m looking for something to make.

The one thing I miss about Paprika after moving over to Pestle is their grocery list sorting, but thankfully iOS 17 is adding a similar feature for shared reminders lists.

Very surprised Paprika doesn't let you sort/search by ingredients - it's definitely an option in Pestle. Another cool thing about Pestle is their smart folders - I have cocktail-specific smart folders that automatically filter cocktails with "Tiki" ingreidents, and even new recipes get automatically added to the smart folder.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 4, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I have a friend going to Paris at the end of next month, are there any France-only spirits I should have him be on the lookout for that we can't normally get in the US? I'd even be willing to spend a little more (~$200) on something extra special.

Love Chartreuse, Benedictine, Rums, Agricoles, Brandys, slowly getting into Natural Wines, Sherrys, and Ports.

Any ideas?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

I kinda want to try more Clairins. Anyone have knowledge of their stuff?

They all taste widely different, tons of funky notes and esters from pot distillation + long wild fermentation, along with some grassy terroir from the fresh cane sugar. They remind me of a cross between a grassy rhum agricole and a funky Jamaican rum.

I've only gotten my hands on a Sajous 2018 and Casimir locally, which I really enjoyed, and I've also seen and heard good things about Communal, Le Rocher, Sonson, and Vaval for ~$40-50 a bottle.

Velier also sells a Papalin Haiti blend, which is a little pricy at $60, but is barrel aged and includes a blend of a few mentioned above. You can read more about it here.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 5, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

obi_ant posted:

How many bottles do you guys have open at any given time? My wife has been giving me the stank eye as bottles have started taking up a lot of room. I might have to start drinking down the bar.

I've got two of these Ikea utility carts filled with cocktail bottles and coffee syrups, holds maybe 30 bottles total. Along with 15 bottles sitting on the top shelf of my bar cabinet. Plus 15-20 bottles hidden behind the cabinet's doors.

I've also got two standing shelves in my basement full of beer from the last decade or so, too, though.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 8, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I started aging and experimenting with eggnog. I'm using Clyde Common's recipes, their base egg nog with spiced rum and brandy, as well as their tequila and sherrry egg nog, which I prefer.

My variants include:
  • spiced rum + brandy
  • apple brandy
  • sherry + tequilla
  • house-made vanilla vodka + amaretto
  • house-made vanilla vodka + st. george coffee liqueur
  • Werthers soaked Guyanese Rum + butterscotch schnapps, aka Butter Beer Egg Nog

Instead of aging the spirit + eggs with milk, I've also started aging the eggs + spirit + sugar, and adding fresh milk + heavy whipping cream when it's served - this allows the spirit + egg proteins to break down while still keeping the fresher milk character of fresh egg nog. I plan on using these bases to build my own cocktails over the holiday season. Tempted to come up with a pepperment liqueuer Egg Nog, or horchata as well.

My next experiment? Rum Arrange

I've also been eying some copper stills so I can distill my own rums, brandies, and whiskeys...

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Sep 9, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I can't remember where I found it, but I told myself I'd make my own when I run out of Giffards:

– 240 mL unsweetened almond milk
– 240 g turbinado sugar or demerara sugar
– 20 mL cognac
– 20 mL apple brandy
– 10 mL orange flower water

You can leave out the orange flower water, but it's pretty cheap on Amazon and lasts a long time.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

It’s wild how easy some 50-70% abv sugarcane rum/rhum Agricoles are. My partner hates alcohol burn and can drink Paranubes at 54% ABV straight.

It’s real good.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 7, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I don't think there is a next big thing, and I eagerly await the Bourbon producers to catch up with their production & aging right when the hype bottoms out and we can all pick up amazing bottles with ease (it will happen).

But I have to say, as I've been exploring molasses-based rums and going down the path of sugar-cane spirits like Clairins, Rhum Agricoles, and Mexican rums, I've been sharing them with friends who never have any interest in the stuff, and they are surprised at what kinds of flavors you get out of them - fennel, brine, olive, urchin, green tomato, ketchup, vegetal grass - and they're often shocked they're even in the same category of molasses rums.

Now that I've started paying attention, I've noticed so many bars like my favorite local spots feature tons of cocktails with Agircoles, funky Jamaican rums, and Cachaca:

"I Didn't Go To Sunday School"
Montelobos Mezcal Joven, Saint James Rum Agricole, Lime, Jalapeño, Pineapple, Honey

The Collider
Leblon Cachaça, Cucumber, Passion Fruit, Lime, Simple, Habanero

Evan's Oak Park Daiquiri
Rhum J.M. White Rum, Barsol Pisco, Lime Juice, Grapefruit Juice, Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur

Elliott's Piña Amarilla
Liquore Strega, Rum Fire White Overproof Rum, Pineapple, Lemon, Coco López

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I've used a lot of Brandy lately making eggnog (spiced rum + brandy, rum + apple brandy, straight apple brandy), but also these:

"Winter Fling"

Trader Tom created this drink. The fresh unpasteurized cider and pimento dram feels like Christmas, and baby, it's cold out there. Come in for a Winter Fling!

4 oz Fresh Apple cider
1 oz White Rum
1/2 oz Cognac
1/4 oz Pimento Dram
1/4 oz Aperol
1/4 oz Fresh Lemon Juice

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I'm super lazy and just use Ferrand Dry Curacao for everything.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Grabbed some Key Limes from the grocery store, any specific cocktails I should make with them? Juicing them is annoying.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

has anyone tried Torani brown sugar cinnamon syrup, and if so, how is it? Their orgeat is pretty good.

We go through that one a lot in our household for espresso based drinks.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Now you can make some super juice. Get some malic acid too. Start peeling your citrus and freezing them to make citrus juices.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I actually just bought two pounds of cacao nibs to make my own creme de cacao, but I'm sure Tempus Fugit's is amazing. Now I understand why anything with cacao is so expensive - the nibs weren't cheap.

I'll be in Chicago in a couple weeks and Tempus Fugit isn't available in Michigan - I'm grabbing a bottle of Creme De Banane to bring home, is there anything from Tempus or anybody else that I should be on the lookout for?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Kenning posted:

Giffard Banane du Bresil is incredible.

Carillon posted:

How's it compare to the Tempus Fugit Banane?

I've heard Tempus Banane has more banana bread spice, while Giffard has more straight banana flavor. I actually managed to track down a bottle of Giffard Banane du Bresil and Abricot du Roussillon locally, but would also like to have Tempus Fugit's Banane on hand as well. Even though I made my own creme de cacao, I also plan on picking a bottle of Tempus Creme de Cacao as well, and maybe a bottle of their menthe. Their Absinthe looks interesting, but it wasn't for available at any Binnys near our airbnb.

I've been eyeing Giffard's Pineapple, which I know is available on shelves at Binnys. Are there any coconut liqueurs worth tracking down? I can't say I've owned any that have impressed me. Otherwise, I found a spot that supposedly has Chartreuse available to go (on site bar that has to go sales = better allocation), so I plan on grabbing a bottle or two of green since I'm out.

Otherwise, I just plan on grabbing any sugarcane rums I can find - Agricoles, Haitian Clairins, Mexican rums, etc. I'd like to dabble more into tequilas and mezcals, but don't know enough about what are worth grabbing if I see them. I've had Ocho, Siete Leguas, Pasote, G4, and Del Maguey that I've enjoyed, but that's about it. I saw random bottles of Fortaleza last time I was in Chicago, but their prices were jacked up.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Dmitri-9 posted:

I feel like the world is sleeping on pot still sugarcane rum and rhum agricole. Every hole in the wall liquor store near me sells Babencourt white and aged for cheap.

Michigan has trouble getting JM Rhum allocations nowadays. It’s having its moment but nothing compared to other spirits. I can’t complain - you can get some great still strength sugarcane rums for under $50 a bottle.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Data Graham posted:

Why would column still rum be specified for anything? To avoid rum flavor?

I mean, Rhum Agricoles are all distilled on column stills and they have just as much a "rum flavor" as something distilled on a double pot retort in Jamaica. They produce a cleaner, more refined spirit with less esters that could be good or bad, depending on how you look it - You can easily tell apart the nuisances of a sugarcane's variety and terroir with a column-still agricole, for example.

Hell, even most modern pot stills being used have 3 columns and can get to a higher ABV like columns. Rum producers like Foursquare in Barbados will typically blend column and pot still together to give their rums a more approachable rounded out flavor. Jamaican distilleries tend to use double retort pot, which is more "pure pot-stilled", along with Haitan Clairins, but column stills are more efficient and cheaper to run, so much of the industry has moved over to them - rum tends to be treated like a cheap moonshine-like spirit in many regions.

So it's complicated. From my experience, rum nerds that are Jamaican Hogo-obsessed are just as into column-stilled Martinique Agricoles.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Dec 22, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

If y'all have any interest in diving head-first into rum, there's currently a tasting set from the Jamaican distillery "Hampden Estate" that includes 8 bottles of every Mark that they produce across a wide range of esters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHdUQpjqh5w

I'll be heading to Chicago next week, here's my short list of expected pick-ups:
  • Green + Yellow Chartreuse @ ~$65 each
  • Jade 1901 + Edourd Absinthe @ ~$90 each
  • Tempus Fugit Creme de Cacao, Banane, Menthe @ ~$40 each
  • Puro De Surales Sugarcane Ecuador Rum
  • Haitan Clairin Sugarcane Rums (Any I come across)
  • 5 Sentidos Pechuga De Mole Poblano
  • Burrito Fiestero Mezcals
  • El Jolgorio Mezcals

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I’m shocked at how balanced and tasty the Paper Plane is. My partner doesn’t typically care for amaro, bourbon, or Aperol and even she likes it.

I think I need another bottle of Aperol.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Pretty successful Chicago trip, managed to come across $65 bottle Green Chartreuse but no Yellow. Chicago liquor stores are too good and I can’t wait to make some Pink Squirrels and Grasshoppers for friends.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 5, 2024

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I really want to track down a bottle of cut and dry. They needed to change the name, but the new one definitely sucks.

For the past few years, Mason Ferrand has preventing Barbados from getting it's own Geographical Indication for Barbodos Rum, because then they wouldn't be able to label anything aged in France as "Barbados Rum", which has really ruffled a lot of feathers within the industry and from rum aficionados in general.

They're also trying to make changes to Jamaica's GI classification guidelines, since they are co-owners of National Rums of Jamaica Limited.

It's pretty silly and is a bad look overall, they should just let the other distilleries authorize the GI and call their rum "Planteray Rum" or something. If a rum is labeled as "Barbados Rum", everybody is going to assume it was made and aged in Barbados, not aged in France...

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Oh god I’m going to blow through these Tempus Fugit bottles so quickly. The Crème de Cacao is markedly better than my DIY Cacao, and throwing together a Pink Squirrel or Grasshopper is insanely easy.

I also made a Banana Hammock with the Crème de Banane, which is straight up banana bread. I kinda want to try and make another with half Giffard Banane du Bresil to see if it gives the cocktail a more layered banana note.

I need to find an online store that is willing to ship to Michigan. There aren’t many.