Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Very Strange Things posted:

What do the pros do for a Julep?

Drink a Pimm's Cup instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

No, it's Pimm's #1 (which is gin based), with cucumber, lemon, and a bit of ginger ale. Pros add cucumber vodka as well. And it's a must at horseraces, which is where the julep is also found. Thus it's appropriateness.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I'd have a Sazerac with that - I think it would complement perfectly. Of course it's rye based and powerful, but it sounds so good together. Actually I think I might do that this weekend.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I'm kind of in a cocktail rut. I almost only ever order sazeracs or old fashioneds, and need to try something new. I have access to fantastic bartenders. What should I try.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Wachepti posted:

Tell your fantastic bartenders to make you something like an old fashioned or a sazerac.

My recommendation would be a fourth regiment, a boulvardier, a lion's tail, or a sazerac with cognac instead of whiskey(how it was originally made).
Good suggestions, thanks.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Drinking a black rider right now, except it's not a real black rider as there was no cynar around. Subbed aperol for it, and it still kicks a lot of rear end.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Data Graham posted:

I just watched The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou and noticed that he kept topping up a tall tumbler with straight Campari, lol drat.

When it's hot, my negronis start to veer away from 1/1/1 to campari gin vermouth to 2/1/0.5. I can relate.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

No, you're pretty much right. Except for the buffalo grass vodka, which is interesting and good on its own merits.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

A bloody mary is much better with tequila, though.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

All your red vermouth wants to be in negronis. All your white vermouth wants to be in a contessa, which is equal parts gin, white vermouth, and aperol.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

That's why I keep Canadian Club around.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Tonight I have invented the Elixir Tropical #2. I was out of mint, but had a surplus of basil, so switch basil for mint and replace the normal white rum for Ray and Nephew Overproof and boom, fantastic loving drink.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

So I came up with something, sort of a modified daquiri or barbados cocktail, though I'm pretty sure that it already exists somewhere. But until I find out I'm going to call it a Spice Island.

2oz dark rum
3/4 oz lime juice
1/2 ounce falernum
1/2 ounce demerara syrup
3-4 dashes angostura

Shake, serve over crushed ice in a tiki mug. I really like this one! Who did I copy accidentally?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Well I'm glad people like the Spice Island! Until I hear otherwise, I'm going to keep calling it my own and serving it to people in my private tiki bar. By which I mean my backyard.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Toebone posted:

They left out tequila, so the 12 Bottle theory goes right out the window anyway

I am drinking a tequila highball right now for emphasis.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Carillon posted:

I bought Amaro CioCiaro as a picon substitute for Amer Picon and was curious what else I could do with it other than picon biere and a brooklyn. Anyone know what else might be a fun cocktail to use it in?

It works great in a picon punch. Use 1.5 ounces of it, stirred in the glass with a 1/4 ounce of good grenadine. Add some soda and float a slug of brandy or cognac on top. Goxoa!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I just picked up "Drink What You Want" and it's pretty good.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Tonight I made a margarita with scotch instead of tequila, and Grand Mariner instead of triple sec. It's good. Will make a scotcharita again.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I'm going to start with mai tais in hopefulness, and then end with either negronis for good or straight vodka for bad.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I'm through a number of double mai tais at this point, bit since the news is neither bad nor good, I've switched to black riders for the remainder of the evening.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Also delicious on ice cream.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

throw it in the garbage where it belongs

You have bad cherry syrup opinions fyi.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Branca is my favorite, for absolute sure. I also keep stocked up with cynar (both proofs), montenegro, zucca rabarbaro, sfumato rabarbaro, and Alpa Lys. Probably my favorite class if drink.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Anonymous Robot posted:

I’ve made this with both Fernet and Averna, and I did prefer the Averna. I find Fernet overpowering in just about everything.

Is a Fernet and a PBR a thing where you guys live, or is it just a west coast eccentricity? That's how I got turned on to Fernet in the first place - that was always the shot and a beer special when I was playing in punk bands in Oakland and Reno.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

tonedef131 posted:

In a pinch you can just dissolve sugar into commercial almond milk. That stuff is pretty shelf stable so I always keep a carton around for unexpected orgeat making.

This does indeed work. Though I also keep a bottle Trader Vic's for emergencies.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

PRADA SLUT posted:

Does Cynar have red food coloring? I’m allergic to Campari and trying to find something stronger than Aperol

A bit of caramel color, but no cochineal or anything like that.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Yeah I just keep Grand Marnier stocked at home.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

bolind posted:

I had a brainfart last night and managed to convince myself that an ounce was 5 cl.

Those were some hefty Mai Tais.

On that topic, anyone got some interesting rum combinations to try in a Mai Tai?

My favorite is a 50/50 of Appleton Estate Signature with Wray and Nephew. I like it funky. Though also I make trashy mai tais using only Cruzan Blackstrap for drinking on my back porch in summer.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Tequila works SHOCKINGLY well with anything

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I love my tiki mug collection, but I primarily use them for company (remember company?). Otherwise I use them in the summer because they keep my drinks cold longer. And a tiki drink just doesn't taste right unless you have a bunch of crushed ice and an umbrella, which is proven by science.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Brb gonna start working on 1 liter tiki drinks...

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Human Tornada posted:

There's not much to "get", it's just a fun part of the experience, like getting your pizza in a big cardboard box. They're also insulated and protected from sunlight, like Mr. Wiggles said.

Anyways I'm looking for a new bottle to shake things up in the tiki department, preferably under $50. Anybody have any suggestions? (Creme de menthe or creme de cacoa?) Aside from rums and other liquors, I currently have:

Kahlua
Giffard banana
Cheap brandy
Cheap peach brandy
Cheap creme de cassis
Pernod
Cherry heering
Campari
Aperol
Creole shrub
Falernum
Becherovka
Pimento dram

Get some cynar. It plays well as a bitter, and is even the major flavor in drinks like the El Ritmo.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I was playing with negronis tonight and discovered that a mix of 1:1:1 reposado tequila, red vermouth, and cappalletti tastes like a more complex bubblegum. It's sweet but gooood.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I got a cool infusion setup for Christmas, and have been playing with doing cool stuff, and one of the best things I've made yet is rosemary syrup. So far that's delicious in a gin fizz and an old fashioned (provided you use good rye), and I've even fit it into a couple of tiki drinks. Anyone else have cool ideas for rosemary syrup, though?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

PRADA SLUT posted:

Deshler, De la Louisiane, Seelbach, Vieux Carre

In addition to these, try using it in situations like gin lemonade, manhattans, and other places you might reach for the ango. I love Peychauds is all sorts of cocktails.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

So I made way too much grenadine today. Besides zombies and hurricanes (which is why I made it), what are some other fantastic cocktails to help me use up all this red stuff?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

These are perfect, thanks! My lemon tree is also overloaded so it looks like things are aligning.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Kenning posted:

I know you're a man who appreciates Tiki, so I highly recommend

Hell in the Pacific

3/4 oz. lime
1/2 oz .maraschino
1/4 oz. grenadine
1 1/2 oz. 151 Demerara rum (Lemon Hart or whatever)

Shake with lots of crushed ice and pour unstrained into a a pilsner glass.

Aw yeah gonna tiki this up. I need something a little lighter after all that calvados this afternoon.

Edit: oh yeah this is fantabulous.

Mr. Wiggles fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 25, 2021

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Tiki is mother's milk and I will always tiki.

For an american whiskey punch, I feel like there should always be nutmeg and maybe clove involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Your life will now improve dramatically, in the inverse to your diabetes risk.