Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I just keep Gordon's on hand and it fills in every blank.

Used to be for me too, but now it's more expensive than Beefeater generally. But yes, Gordon's is a perfectly good gin - it carries His Majesty's warrant, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

The Toronto is a fantastic cocktail. Basically anything that's rye + amaro is good. That's why I drink so many Rynars - rye and cynar 50/50.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I'll make one of those tonight. Sounds awesome.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I once made an award winning cherry scotch ale, and I used the pits and all. No poisoning resulted.

However, I have also made cherry cider, and if you're completely crushing the cherries you'll need to remove the pits. When crushed the pits will release more of the bad stuff, plus they will make things too bitter.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Try it in coffee.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Start every birthday with 3 shots of Teacher's and a Bellhaven's Best. A couple of birthdays I've had to do Jameson and Guinness, which is good but not quite the same. But either way you're ready for a fight.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Midori is used in tiki all the time. Or at least I use it all the time. The Basic Beach is the first cocktail that comes to mind, but in anything where the color of the drink matters Midori can be used to add a bit of that green/oceany tone. This works especially well in combination with blue curacao.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Kenning posted:

I'm tryna put my new Vitamix through it's paces tomorrow. Anybody have a favorite blended cocktail or two?

My favorite is a banana batida. In the vitamix go, per serving, 2 oz cachaça, .5 oz banana liqueur, .75 oz of lime juice, one ripe banana, and a handful of ice. Blend til smooth. I like to do 3-4 servings at a time.

Runner up is my British Egyptian - in the blender goes, per serving, 2 oz gin, 1.5 oz lemon juice, 1 oz demerara syrup, a handful of mint leaves, and a few dashes of cardamom bitters along with a handful of ice. Again, blend til smooth and serve it up. Absolutely hits the spot when it's hot out.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

From my calculations, the drink is 6 oz of stuff and around 2.5 oz is 40%. So not a strong drink but not weak at all. The point is to make a good tasting drink, not one that tastes like alcohol.

Alcohol tastes good though? :confused:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

LionYeti posted:

I have some extremely fresh basil from my parents garden was going to use it in a cocktail tonight. I was thinking to do a sorta riff off a gimlet but was wondering if anyone had some more fun ideas?

Do a mojito with it instead of mint, change your life.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

prayer group posted:

As much Amer Picon as will fit in a suitcase.

As much Amer Picon as will fit in a suitcase after you ship me a pallet.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Comb Your Beard posted:

Did a cheap gin tasting, prices are va abc. Beefeater ($24), Gordon's ($18 / Liter), Bombay regular ($20, $3 off). I think the Bombay won for me. Just more intensity all around, flavor, heat, body. But they were all palatable and acceptable. Wild how cheap Gordon's is. The American version is 40% and from Canada which is kinda weird.

Also nearly the whole Virginia section was on sale which was cool, got some Laird’s Straight Applejack 86.

I also choose the Bombay in that pairing, but I'm never sad to have Gordon's. It really is great stuff, especially at that price.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Yeah, a lot. Like I think I have 30-40 of just rum.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

For navy strength do 3-1. 4-1 is for standard 80 proof gin.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Ouzo
Slivovice
Maletti
Italicus
Gran Marnier
Strega
Amer Picon
Soda water
Tonic water
Lillet Blanc
Literally a million other things.

The thing is, in a negroni, you're balancing sweet, bitter, and dry. If you're substituting the bitter component, you need to think about why the bitter works in this combination and find something else that can fill that role. Be inventive and play around with combinations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Giffards is the only one I use when I run out of homemade.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Needs more mint.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Yes, I keep the Spanish brandies on hand for those uses myself. My French brandy budget is all taken up with Calvados.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

You know what's really awesome in a marg is using calamansi for part of the lime. Like 3-1 lime to calamansi ratio. MMmmm......

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

The dry shake will aerate better than stirring, and the aeration will bring out more of the complex flavors in a drink with so many herbal properties.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Death in the Afternoon.
Cold War Easier.
Celebration.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Both of those drinks look fantastically done. Also, both really good drinks.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

Anyone tried doing a Trinidad Sour with Amaro di Angostura instead of bitters? The flavor profile is similar and the amaro is a lot cheaper so I'd love to make them that way, but not if it sucks.

One of my favorite bars has that as a regular item. It's very good.

Trinidad not my real dad.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

Yeah, looking at the recipe it is 1/3 as much of the grapefruit/cinnamon in the same ratio.
1 dash ango
and 1/8 tsp of absinthe (pernod in the original)
and the same for grenadine

So an even greater alcohol > sugar ratio. Yikes.

I use a Zombie as one of the standard drinks in my bar, and my spec is 2.5 Hamilton zombie blend, .5 falernum, 1 pineapple, .75 lime, .5 grapefruit, .25 grenadine, few dashes absinthe (usually 6-7 shakes from my dasher), top of overproof. It's supposed to be a boozy drink, with the spice and juice to balance out the power a bit.

Normally I double the recipe for guests so that it properly fills a giant tiki mug.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

The Bandit posted:

That’s insane, please tell me you’re not regularly serving people 5 ounces of 118proof rum with an overproof float.

Look, tiki is all about maximalism.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

No, I get that it's supposed to be strong. I just think it's a bad tasting drink. This seems to be common with many early tiki drinks. I think there should be a way of improving the taste without changing the drink too drastically. That's why I focused on the grapefruit. Sure, some people like it, but it's not a particularly good tasting fruit.

It's ok to like different things. There's a zillion drinks to choose from.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

You can get pandan extract at Dutch or Indonesian grocers. It will do the trick.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Correct response

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Pussers is delicious but the company sucks.

Plantation is my go to dark rum. I even sip it neat.

Appleton estate is also a good standard dark rum, lots of funk and good brown sugar.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I use a nice barspoon when I have one to hand, because I like the counterweight. But I use chopsticks often, and that's what I use to stir my coffee and tea as well.

Also, I will often shake a martini because I love the little sheen of ice that I get when I do that. And I like my martinis colder than any stirring will ever achieve.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

3 gin. Served cold.

Cardamaro later for dessert.

The rest is chaff.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Snow Cone Capone posted:

let me tell you about the decorative cocktail umbrella industry

How else do you keep your drink from being diluted when it rains?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

You'll have to have cinnamon.

Also, blue Curacao is fine. I use it all the time. And in the concentration you would need to turn a clear drink light blue, it's only going to add a hint of flavor.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Famous Grouse and Dewars 18 are my favorite mixing Scotches. They have enough body to stand up to other ingredients but don't overwhelm. Teacher's is also great if you can find it (the US distribution isn't so good).

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

The Armenian stuff is pretty good, though typically a little less aged than European styles.

My favorite brandy is slivovitz. Go for that.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

Counterpoint: don’t go for that.

Lookit dis guy who don't like balkan white lightning.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I do a drink called "Deadman" (from the Jarmusch film) with 2 oz of oftd, 1 oz of Hamilton Demerara 151, 1oz of Mr. Black, lime, guava, pineapple, cinnamon syrup, coffee bitters, and a float of wray and nephew. It's a 12oz drink but it, uh, hits pretty hard. But curiously it doesn't seem so powerful when you're drinking it. I've never really encountered anything stronger in the wild.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Frankie's always has my heart and I'm a regular there. I just wish it was non-smoking. Golden is good for vibe. Very good tiki drinks at Red Dwarf as well.

In arts district, pass on velveteen probably. Liquid Diet owns bones. Jammyland is also good, and ginza has been fun. If you come to Vegas and miss the Silver Stamp you'll hate yourself forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

DkHelmet posted:

I’ve been a fan of Herbs and Rye and their sister resistant, Cleaver.

Yes very very good bar programs. Also the best steak in town.