Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

good luck kitten
Aug 18, 2004

Tripping the light fantastic

Kenning posted:

First of all, the glass is probably too big. It shouldn't be any more than 4.5 ounces (as I mentioned earlier in this thread). Secondly, it shouldn't be made with vodka. Third, the vermouth should be fresh. Fourth, it should actually be stirred with ice, rather than just lazily sloshed in the mixing glass. Fifth, there is such a thing as too dry – if your gin : vermouth ratio is exceeding 6 : 1 you should just call a spade a spade and say you're drinking gin up. Finally, a couple dashes of orange bitters and a lemon twist makes it all sing.

The reason that no one actually likes Martinis is that few places actually serve martinis. They serve vaguely cool gin/vodka faintly tainted with sour vermouth. And that's terrible.

Was going to post exactly this. A properly made martini is one of the most delicious things out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

good luck kitten
Aug 18, 2004

So I was given the PDT cocktail book for Christmas; this should keep me busy for many many months. It's quite a nice book too, the illustrations in it are great and the foreword from Wondrich has gotten me excited about it since he likens it to a modern day Savoy.

good luck kitten
Aug 18, 2004

Cocktail Kingdom is really solid, i haven't had any problems ordering things from them; still, I would not recommend getting a bar spoon from them because you can easily get one for way cheaper from somewhere like amazon. I still love my cobbler shaker I got from them.

good luck kitten
Aug 18, 2004

Yeah that's totally fair. The thing is as a non-professional I think it's not worth it for me to invest in one while I'm still learning so much about cocktail making. I could easily see why it's an investment worth making if you work in the industry or are serious to the point where it makes your work easier or more efficient.

good luck kitten
Aug 18, 2004

Yeah, must be outside of the US; can't find that poo poo anywhere here, but it's all over the place in Europe.