Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Rakewell
Aug 24, 2004
Check out my progress!
Author Jeff "Beachbum" Berry (http://beachbumberry.com/) is probably considered the world's foremost expert on Tiki cocktail history and drinks. The above website isn't super useful, but if you have some spare time or cash, you can order his Tiki books (Beachbum Berry Remixed is the one you want) or a really handy iPhone/iPad reciped database app assuming you have one of the above.

3 other good Tiki-heavy cocktail blogs I would recommend are: http://okolemaluna.com/ (A Portland-based Tiki syrup company), http://www.kaiserpenguin.com/ (just a good all around drink blog), and http://coloneltiki.com/ (great blog by a dude who tends bar at a Portland Tiki Bar).

If you have any questions about specific recipes, feel free to PM me, as I've played around with a lot of those drinks and recipes at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Rakewell
Aug 24, 2004
Check out my progress!

Vegetable Melange posted:

I've been trying to work in apricot liqours and mezcal into the spring menu, but I'm running out of ways to dry out the brizard apry short of Bubbly and aperol. Any suggestions?

fino sherry, any dry white wine (e.g. viognier, sauv blanc), dry vermouth, eau de vie, gin, aquavit...

Tom Rakewell
Aug 24, 2004
Check out my progress!

Jyrraeth posted:

What's the standard bitters? Angostura? Is that a brand or style?

I want to try to recreate/improve on the Mojitos I had in Cuba and I know bitters is the component I don't know.

Bitters in a standard mojito? Huh? Not in any traditional recipe I've ever seen.

Since a few years back, there's been a drink making its way around trendy cocktail bars called the Queen's Park Swizzle, which is an old Trinidadian drink that just amounts to a mojito on crushed ice with Angostura added or layered on top. But bitters in a mojito isn't standard.

Tom Rakewell
Aug 24, 2004
Check out my progress!

nrr posted:

Here you go. There's a bit of a look at some different types and sizes, but most of them link to stores in the UK, so you might have to get them sent back across the pond. The ones we use were brought back from Australia by another one of my bartenders, so again, not much help there for you.

They look great behind a bar though, and it's something you can actually display instead of having a bunch of ratty looking bitters bottles with their labels half soaking wet.

Only downside is that the cork stoppers suck, warp easily, and the spouts on the top tend to clog easily and are inconsistent in the amount of liquid that comes out when you dash them.

One of my coworkers got a similar set of bottles/dashers a while back, and while they looked cool, he ended up pitching them after a few months since they were a pain to use at work. So cool stuff to impress people with for a home bar, but definitely not something for regular use. I'd repurpose an eye-dropper or an old bitter bottle any day.

Tom Rakewell
Aug 24, 2004
Check out my progress!
You'd like to think a guy who runs a company mass-producing "maraschino" cherries would at least have the courtesy to learn how to pronounce "maraschino" correctly.

Tom Rakewell
Aug 24, 2004
Check out my progress!

Vegetable Melange posted:

If you made me an aviation without violette, I would quietly leave my tip on the bar and find my way to the exit, possibly after peeing on the floor of the bathroom on purpose.

The aviation first became internet famous and widely served in cocktail bars well before Rothman & Winter Creme de Violette was on the market; without violette was the standard for years because it wasn't available. I'd assume that was actually the reason Haus Alpenz begin producing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Rakewell
Aug 24, 2004
Check out my progress!

Canadian Bakin posted:

What's the best way to turn a dessert wine into a cocktail? My dad brought home a bottle of raspberry, and I haven't a clue what to do with it. Other than drizzle over ice cream or mix with sparkling wine. Am I on the right track with either of those ideas?

Start by working it into Negroni-type drinks as a placeholder for vermouth; pair it with an aggressively bitter amaro and/or a higher proof spirit, perhaps adding Angostura/Peychauds/etc, and adjust proportions accordingly. That should be a good starter on how the wine functions with other ingredients, and you can move on to working it in with things like citrus and fruit.