Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.

deadwing posted:

So. I'm a simple man. I'll blend plenty of cocktails, but often my home drinking urges are simply quelled by a Dark & Stormy. I have a problem though. I want more ginger! I've had the Gosling's house brand, the Target Archer Farms brand, D&G Jamaican Ginger Beer, and Goya Ginger Beer. The D&G comes closest I want to the ridiculous ginger attack I want, but I know there's gotta be something better. I've seen Reed's Extra Ginger Beer in a store near me. They stock it near the Tums and such in the health care section, which seems like a very good sign to me. Is this the endpoint to my MORE GINGER game?

Anyone had the Fever-Tree brand? I don't have anywhere near me that stocks it, but I can get a case for 36 bucks delivered by Amazon Prime, which doesn't seem unreasonable at all for what's marketed as a premium product. Just recommend me your favourite ginger beers. I need to know.

EDIT: As a big Gin and Tonic guy, how's the Fever-Tree Tonic Water? That's a bit of a bigger step up from my 89 cent grocery store brand 2-liters.

Where the hell do you live that you can get that much ginger beer so easily? I could hardly find the stuff when I lived in Orlando, and it's chock full of Jamaicans even.

I also have a major thing for Dark and Stormies and wound up just making my own ginger beer, it's dead easy and that fresh ginger bite and aroma is just about impossible to get from a commercial soda.

I have a juicer so I pretty much followed Morgenthaler's recipe and wound up finding it a little lacking, I too want to essentially be punched in the tongue by ginger when I take a sip. All it took was to increase the amount of ginger juice by 2-2.5 times, use really good lemons, and if you want to get really picky about things let the beer ferment inside the fridge over a few days(it helps prevent funky flavors caused by high-temp fermentations).

I like making 12 at a time so I can have them for breakfast as well as cocktails later that day.

e: by "them" I meant ginger beers, not Dark & Stormies. Would that I could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004

deadwing posted:

Ugh. I'm using my second bottle of the Goya ginger beer right now, and this is just all about the burn, with no delicious ginger flavor. So sad that it's halfway there. I'd love this burn if it was accompanied with delicious ginger flavor.

The Goya stuff has capsaicin added to it to give extra burn, they're cheating.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004

Irving posted:

Whole Foods has it.

Go find a middle eastern grocery, they'll have the same thing(s if you want both rose and orange blossom water) but half the price. They also have things like all-natural sour cherry syrup, which I use when real cherries are out of season/crazy expensive, or solids aren't welcome in somebody's drink.

You can even extract the oils out of the syrup if you want the taste but don't want the sugar: stick it in the coldest part of your fridge for a week or so, pour off the sugar syrup that collects on top(mixes great with soda water), and warm up the solidified oils on the bottom/mix a little high-proof vodka in to dissolve. Pour into desired container and enjoy.