Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Alright you guys. Tell me where the hell we got the idea that those top-heavy cocktail glasses were a good idea? To be fair, I can't be trusted with a champagne flute, but I really find cocktail glasses to be unreasonably difficult to maneuver in a close space. I just get everything in tumblers. There, I admitted it. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Elderbean posted:

Is Luxardo the only brand of cherries that aren't awful dyed monstrosities? Are there cheaper alternatives?

http://www.livinghomegrown.com/homemade-maraschino-cherries/

It's very easy to do and they keep reasonably well if you keep them in the syrup. I highly recommend a cherry pitter, even though it's an overengineered tool good for only one job, which I usually hate. It just does that job so much better than any other tool or technique I've tried.

I've also had good results with just tossing pitted cherries in some brandy along with vanilla and almond extract and letting them steep for an unknown amount of time. Maybe 2-5 weeks? We took them to Burning Man and stored them unrefrigerated and handed them out to people. The brandy kept them very well and made them deliciously boozy. Maybe not the effect you're going for if you're going to toss them into a brandy-incompatible cocktail, but still worth a try for an even simpler version.

Pile of Kittens fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 17, 2015

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Fellow alcoholics, I am here from the future to impart this wisdom: plain gin doesn't make good jello shots, not even if you fancy it up with a cute tonic water jelly-consistency gelatinized topping and a squeeze of lime. It's workable with about a tablespoon of rough turbinado sugar on top (gives it a fun crunch), but still not really worth repeating.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

bunnyofdoom posted:

Suddenly that advice yesterday makes sense. Not even with craft tonic syrup?

The tonic jelly was the better part. I think the gelatin causes the bitterness of the gin to stay on the tongue for too long and it becomes extremely overwhelming, like if you took a shot of gin and just held it in your mouth for a minute.

Also, to the gelatin-hating jerk, I will have you know I ate it with a spoon and in moderation. What kind of lout do you take me for? Keepin' it classy up in this bitch. I guess it's my fault for calling it "jello shots" but I didn't want to come off like a complete fancypants snob calling them "gelatin squares" or whatever.