Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I have been in a cocktail slump for a year or two now. As a young(er) man I had a bar of around 75-100 bottles and was constantly messing around with drinks. As I and my friends got older and lamer we stopped having as much time for boozing and now I am down to a sad little sideboard with maybe 5-8 bottles.

I have however, resolved to turn this around and rediscover my love of drinks. This thread has been a big help so far. I do have a question, my beloved shaker, which has served me for 10 years now, has started to leak a bit. I suspect the woman of dropping it and not telling me. Fortuitousness she possesses the metalworking skill to get it working again, but in the mean time my eye has been wandering. I am looking for a recommendation for both a good "standard" shaker and a Boston shaker. Bonus points if the Boston can mate with normal pint glasses.

To contribute, here is a Margarita variation that I really enjoy. It comes from Skeeter Skelton, who was a lawman/customs agent in southwest in the 50-70'. He was also a writer for gun magazines in that period and his stories and articles were filled with tales of drinking and liquor. He was a strong proponent of tequila and published his personal margarita recipe:

"Skeeter Skelton" posted:

2 shots tequila
1/2 teaspoon triple sec
juice of 1 lemon
Combine with ice and shake energetically!
Moisten rim of glass with lemon and dip in salt.
Strain out ice and pour into glass.

Relax

Clearly, it is strong as hell and very tart. I like to have one of them late in a session, when I am done with sweeter drinks and want something to sip at for a while. Conversely, they also make a decent breakfast drink, the tartness and citrus going well with a normal salty, hammy breakfast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Kenning posted:

I've served this punch to a party full of girls who ask me for cocktails "that are sweet where you can't taste the alcohol." People have taste, man, everybody has taste.

This thing was a huge hit. You had to keep in on "mist" as the "stream" setting will make some (many) people gag. I usually kept it loaded with 50/50 Old Crow and cranberry juice. I tried to fancy it up a few times but always went back to the standard.

Honestly, bourbon and cran is a pretty decent "real" drink. It has the proper mix of sweet and sour and if you buy decent ingreadents it can have some depth to it.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Ernest Hemingway posted:

... and to think I've been painstakingly chilling every glass before serving my guests when all the while I could have been shooting the drink in their faces.

On the subject of cranberry juice: I'm at a bit of a loss on this one because there's a wide variety of cranberry juice products out there (cranberry cocktail, etc.) with wildly varying properties. With a carefully balanced drink like a Cosmopolitan, I'm at a loss as to what I should be using. The instructions only ever say 'Cranberry Juice'. Lemon and lime juice is so easy because since you're fresh squeezing them you can't really gently caress it up.

With cranberry juice, where you're forced to buy a store bought concoction, I've been reluctant to use it in anything other than mixed-down highballs.

Does anyone have any advice in what to look for in a good cranberry juice?

Dude, I was 21 and all hopped up on the LSD, it was a magical time.

As for the cran, there are two schools of though. One is to by the best (and by best I mean the most cran and least added sugar) cocktail you can and use it as is or buy 100% cran and have to doctor it up with simple syrup to make it drinkable.

I go either way, depending on what I am making and how lazy I am feeling. Straight cran is good but most cocktail recipes assume you are not using it and need to be altered accordingly.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I am in Chicago for work and the hotel I am staying in has a very decent cocktail bar.

I am currently drinking a "Tart and Smokey", which is mescal, sambuca, maraschino liquor, and grapefruit juice.

It is really really good, so much more so the I expected. They have about 6 other house cocktails and I fear my per diem will be spent on trying them all.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Wompa164 posted:

What are your favorite gins?

Bombay London Dry.

Some friends and I had a gin tasting party many years ago (so this excludes many of the newer gins to hit the market) and of the 7-8 or so types we tried good old BLD came out on top in all three (Martini, G&T, and Pink Gin) categories.

I will say that we did discover that most people cant tell the difference between any of the different brands in a G&T. The tonic water used seems to be much more important then the gin.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
At a few different bars I have some variation on "Margarita w/ chili syrup" and I have loved them all.

Anyone here have a favorite recipe for something like this before I go off making spicy syrups?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Vegetable Melange posted:

Macerate chopped jalepenos and habeneros in vodka two days, fine strain and add 1/8 oz at a time.

This was plan B. My plan A was to cut the peppers up and boil them with the sugar for the simple syrup.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

But Not Tonight posted:

I may be wrong here, but it seems to me like the capsaicin (along with the flavor) would be more alcohol soluble than water soluble. I've no sort of evidence for or against this, but sugar water doesn't sound like it'd pick up the flavor as well as a spirit.

I sort of have that impression as well but one of the bars I had the drink at definitely had the pepper in a syrup form. I bought more then enough habs so I can try both ways.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Yeah, I find that the vodka extraction works better than the water/sugar syrup, the flavor is more pronounced, which is important when you are mixing the infusion with other spirits and modifiers.

Do you think it will is worth it to try and infuse some of the tequila I will be using or is that a waste of time? Infused vodka will be more generally useful as it is neutral enough that I can use it for other cooking stuff.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

I use infused tequila for a drink at one job, but its popular. And loving delicious. The vodka was just to have a neutral base, for adding to different drinks. Use a nice blanco tequila, you could probably get away with it. Espolon would be my choice, or chinaco.

I usually use Cazadores Reposado (or 1800 if I am making a vat of them) for Margaritas because the woodsiness works with the tartness. I think for this I want to play up the fruitiness of the habs so maybe something lighter? I admit to knowing nothing about blancos as I usually avoid them. I have never heard of the brands you mentioned, the liquor distribution where I am is really bad but I will look for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I have been loving around with spicy margritas the last few days, trying to get the right balance of spice, tart and sweet. The addition of the habenaro vodka (which came out perfect, I did a super short steep and the flavor and heat came through really strongly without any bitterness)seems to make the drink want more simple syrup then I normally put in.

Testing is going slowly as after 1 or 3 my ability to be all critical and scientific goes out the window.

Gonna do some more "testing" tonight as I don't have to work tomorrow.