Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Liquid Communism posted:

Once you start a good rum collection, it snowballs pretty fast. I quit drinking in January, and I still have several bottles I haven't been able to pawn off on friends yet.

hello

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I am checking if I'm going to die. I made a bunch of shrub syrups a while ago and am wondering if these have a shelf life. They've been in the fridge since their creation, and I'm assuming given the volume of sugar and vinegar in them (I did 1:1:1 fruit:sugar:vinegar) that they will keep more or less forever, but wanted to check if anyone actually knows.

I'm drinking a gin shrub right now with my raspberry syrup so RIP to me in advance if I'm going to die.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I bought creme de banane on a whim after having an excellent banana-based cocktail at a bar. What can I do with this poo poo now that I have it?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I have heard people call it a vastly underrated cocktail ingredient but now I'm just staring at the bottle and not sure where to start.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Fart Car '97 posted:

Just put 6 drops in basically everything

Yeah. I don't have saline solution but I always put a tiny pinch of salt in the shaker before I get shakin'. Salt enhances the flavor of literally anything you use it in. I have not yet tried MSG in a cocktail but now that I'm thinking about it...

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah I've experienced the overdone MSG flavor in food before. It is unpleasant.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

What's a decent absinthe available in the US? I have an ancient bottle of Mythe that I have used for recipes that want a splash of it, and it's... okay for that but completely undrinkable on its own. I've had a lot of good Czech absinthes but I've never seen those in the US.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I can get St George. This is what I'm working with most likely, biggest liquor store in the region: https://thepartysource.com/Spirits/Absinthe

Will check my local places for anything weird though.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Had a couple extremely large pina coladas with some modification and reminded me how much I enjoy a tiki.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I remember a basil gimlet in this thread and forgot to mark it. Now that I have basil I want to make some again. Was it just a regular gimlet with basil muddled in?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Strange Matter posted:

I can't help feeling that a banana syrup would just taste weird to me. I love bananas, but I sort of only love them as bananas, so I'm really struggling to conceptualize this taste experience.

Giffard banane du bresil tastes just like very ripe bananas, it's super good.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

A nice sour margarita is the best though. Screw the sweet ones.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Sir Lemming posted:

Oh no don't tell me this, I just ran out the other day. I was trying to attempt the "greenya colada" but didn't have nearly enough, so I just made a little "taste test shot" version and it was amazing. Was looking forward to getting another bottle so I could try it for real.

I heard about there being a chartreuse shortage months ago, not sure how accurate it is since I haven't seen any supply problem around here. But I got another bottle just in case.

E: Apparently it is a thing, found some recent posts from bartenders saying there's a buying limit right now but yellow is still available.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Love me a Last Word. Pretty much the only thing I use chartreuse in.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

My dad used to drink it straight. I can't stand it, but it's good in cocktails.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

While I'm posting here, anyone got good absinthe-forward cocktails? I love absinthe and it usually just shows up as a rinse or tiny addition. I have a good bottle and would like to do more than just drinking straight.

I may have asked this before but I am currently drunk on sake.

E: Here's one of the cats that lived at an absinthe bar I used to go to in China, as payment for my question.

They had like 70 different bottles, it was rad. Mostly Czech.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Aug 7, 2022

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I loved every drink I had at The Drifter. If they're doing the banana jaegermeister one get it for sure. Sounds bizarre but it was incredible.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It comes in small bottles too for a lower commitment.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

That recipe is a great example of the I want to make this but I'd have to buy a bunch of poo poo I don't know if I'd ever use again genre that makes cocktails frustrating.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah it's not as bad with liquors that don't go off. I have never tried amontillado though, and was in the market for some cognac anyway...

Is aperol or campari close enough to amaro to give me a sense if I'm going to like it or not? Or something else comparable to amaro? Not sure what aromatic bitters are either.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Scythe posted:

Since I've seen you post a ton in the Chinese cooking threads, I'll say that amontillado is basically a very good aged shaoxing. They've got the same oxidized thing going on, but I haven't had a shaoxing that has the same mouthfeel. Anyway, it owns imo, but that might help you decide if you want a bottle.

"Aromatic bitters" is a category of bitters where the primary flavor is warming spice. Angostura is an aromatic bitters, so if you're making the above drink you could just use angostura for both instead of splitting your bitters.

Aperol and Campari are actually both amari themselves. "Amaro" is a super wide category with a ton of subcategories. I think, with a home cocktail enthusaist's mindset, you could reasonably use Aperol in the above drink. It'll be less bitter and sweeter than Nonino would be, but it's a better substitute for Nonino than tons of other brands in the amaro category. With amari, you really have to use the exactly called-for brand if you want to duplicate a drink (at least until you know all the subfamilies pretty well).

Cool. I have a bottle of Aperol that I forgot about, not sure why I bought it. Tried a shot earlier and thought it was gross, but now 15 minutes later I'm sitting here thinking about wanting another hit so there must be something there.

The Nonino looks to be the priciest component so I'll give it a shot with Aperol.

I am not sure I've ever had any sherry so I'm up for trying some amontillado.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I know different types of rum have different flavors but I've beem using Zaya or Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva for everything since they are great. I think I have a bottle of Plantation for white rum right now. I tried the Diplomatico white and a couple others and I can't really taste much of a difference between them.

My dad was a big rhum Barbancourt guy but I did not care for it much.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I have never used my cocktail strainer. I wouldn't buy a special one.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Mine's pretty fine, not cheesecloth level or anything, but ultimately the question is do you give a poo poo about the little bits floating in your drink. I don't, so it stays in the cabinet neglected. The juicer does fine at keeping out the seeds and that's all that I care about.

That little one from your set looks about the same though. It's just not the fancy cone shape.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I have also noticed a lot of the Mixel cocktails I'm enjoying are Death & Co creations. Been drinking a bunch of this guy lately in my search for green Chartreuse uses other than Last Words:

Champs-Elysses

2 oz Cognac
1/2 oz Green Chartreuse
3/4 oz lemon juice
1/2 oz simple syrup
1 dash Angostura bitters

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I also have a huge pile of bottles but they are not arranged in a way that looks pretty, just an embarrassing mass on a desk.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

obi_ant posted:

Is there a sake thread? I was given a bottle of Jozen Hiyaoroshi Jumai Ginjo Namazume and I wish to learn more.

No. What do you want to know? Hiyaoroshis are only lightly pasteurized once, fresh sakes released in fall, so keep it in the fridge. Junmai means it's made only with rice fermentation, no added alcohol (this does not necessarily mean better). Ginjo is the grade. A ginjo is likely to be on the fruity side, and since it's a hiyaoroshi it's going to be fairly strong. Generally ginjos should be served chilled. I like hiyaoroshis quite a bit, you can only get them at this time of year. Namazume also means fresh, indicating it's not fully pasteurized--kind of redundant with hiyaoroshi. Jozen is the brewery.

E: If you want to learn sake there are some good books. I've read all these and would recommend:

Exploring the World of Japanese Craft Sake, Nancy Matsumoto and Michael Tremblay
The Japanese Sake Bible, Brian Ashcraft
The Sake Handbook and Sake Confidential, John Gauntner

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Nov 9, 2022

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

obi_ant posted:

Thanks! This is the type of stuff I was looking for. I don't have an intro to sake at the moment so the books will be a great start.

No prob. When I try a new sake I like to do different temperatures, even though a ginjo is generally intended to be served chilled that might not be the way you like it. I try to do any new bottle at fridge temp, slight chill, room temp, and warmed (about 40-50 C--some sakes are good even hotter than this but generally something like a ginjo is going to lose everything if it's too hot). If you don't have a good way to warm it, you can just microwave it in a mug. It seems like sacrilege but it's fine. If you can't bring yourself to do that then boil a saucepot of water and stick the mug in there until it's heated up.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

obi_ant posted:

I love me some Chartreuse. Unfortunately, Chartreuse is going to be much harder to get going forward. The Carthusian monks only make enough Chartreuse to upkeep their monastery so they can contemplate god and that's it.

Fortunately this is not true. They've increased production as demand has gone up, a big part of why they opened a whole new distillery in 2018. Profits above what they need for the monastery go to charity work.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I've seen Monkey Shoulder recommended a lot for a cocktail scotch, I have not tried it personally.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I failed to find El Dorado today so rum failure pals.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

There was none at the store today, first time I've seen it empty. Scored a bottle of yellow though, have not tried it before.

Fortunately the first time I heard rumors I got a backup bottle so I'm good on chartreuse (until next time I see it and buy a second backup (supposedly it improves in the bottle unlike other liquors though, so no harm?))

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Rittenhouse seems fine for rye cocktails, noticeably different than bourbon. I would like to try something better though, I hear Alberta Premium is the poo poo but it's not sold anywhere I can reasonably get to.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Get into the orange level. In my experience oranges last a LOT longer in the fridge than lemons and limes. I have a couple in there I've had for like two months and they still look fine. Limes would be the apocalypse after that long.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Professor Wayne posted:

Speaking of youtube bartenders, I just made this drink. Pretty sure it's the first whole egg drink I've ever had. I'm still trying to decide if I really like it, but it's definitely rich as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzmVLMzQjNo

Made demerara syrup just for this. It is very good and yeah rich and sweet, one is plenty.

I'm enjoying angostura bitters based drinks quite a bit lately.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

+1 to that, I also just bought some tonka beans. How are you making the syrup?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah you're never ever going to eat enough tonka bean to die. Lots of other stuff also has coumarin in it, like strawberries and cherries.

I don't think there's anything you're reasonably going to add to a cockail that's more toxic than the ethanol.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jan 7, 2023

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah agree they're completely different things. I got the fancy ones once and I also kinda prefer the neon grocery store version. Try them both and use what you like.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I thought about making some and was researching it recently. I have never tried it, there's a lot of consensus it is great and just as good as fresh. The problem is it is not actually shelf stable. It noticeably degrades in a couple weeks even when kept in the fridge. I came to the conclusion it makes a ton of sense for a bar that's going through lots of lime juice, but as a person making two or three drinks a week at home it's a waste, I'll never use enough of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The solution is add more bitters sounds like my kind of bartending.

Which is weird I guess, I cannot loving stand amaro of any kind but angostura as base spirit? Sign me up.