Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

Ellaybee posted:

As far as I know, Jonathan's at least a part-time musician, and there's a story floating around that Seth works in a medical marijuana dispensary. He's said things at times about having moved on from acting, but I could be wrong.
Jonathan is in the band Jogger, who are loving awesome. You can buy their album on Amazon for 8 bucks (MP3s). If you're into electronic music at all its worth it. Here's an awesome music video they did (the only song with screaming if you're not into that).

As far as Seth goes, I really hope its true that he works at a dispensary. For someone who is stone cold sober that is a pretty weird job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, Jah is in Jogger with Amir. And if you've been following the show for a while, Amir is the guy whose writings were featured in the "Who Am I" section of the show. But those are old eps anyway.

This is the best Jogger song.

There's also a rumor that Seth teaches acting classes... Or I may have made that up myself.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Jeff Wiiver posted:

As far as Seth goes, I really hope its true that he works at a dispensary. For someone who is stone cold sober that is a pretty weird job.

That's basically the only reason I choose to believe that it's true.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Jonathan is in the band Jogger, who are loving awesome. You can buy their album on Amazon for 8 bucks (MP3s).
This album is legitimately amazing. I may have only heard of them through UYD, but that connection certainly isn't what made it my most-replayed electronic album for the past couple years.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
Anyone know what is up with them not having sponsors anymore? Also why they never did any more video clips like they did in 2008?

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
I think Seth wasn't comfortable with being on camera and started freaking out about it so they stopped doing them.

Listening to 256 right now and it's so good. It has the Tony bagels mob names segment and the story of the guy telling his girlfriend he lost his virginity in a gang bang.

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

Biodome posted:

Listening to 256 right now and it's so good. It has the Tony bagels mob names segment and the story of the guy telling his girlfriend he lost his virginity in a gang bang.

That one was loving awesome.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Biodome posted:

I think Seth wasn't comfortable with being on camera and started freaking out about it so they stopped doing them.

He's never going to get any fresh sources of residuals with an attitude like that!

Mogambo
Jan 6, 2011

:hurr:
This has been a public service announcement to put me on ignore.
I've tried so many times to get into this podcast based on the recommendations people have made, but I just can't get into it. I really really want to like it, but it always feels like I'm listening in on a couple of smug hipsters laughing at a series of inside jokes for an hour.

Is there a certain place to start, because it's just not clicking with me. I know a lot of people have started from the very beginning, but gently caress that - I'm not listening to years and years worth of poo poo to get caught up. I shouldn't have to do WORK to listen to a goddamn podcast.

Guys help I think there's something wrong with me.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
I can't imagine that UYD is for everyone. The advice that I always hear is to start listening at around 120. Not liking something that's good doesn't make you broken, and forcing yourself to like it isn't apt to work.

If it "takes," you'll definitely be ready to listen to the whole catalog.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Listen from episode 74. If you still don't like it then it isn't for you.

SullivanPRIME
Mar 17, 2009

Mogambo posted:

I've tried so many times to get into this podcast based on the recommendations people have made, but I just can't get into it. I really really want to like it, but it always feels like I'm listening in on a couple of smug hipsters laughing at a series of inside jokes for an hour.

Is there a certain place to start, because it's just not clicking with me. I know a lot of people have started from the very beginning, but gently caress that - I'm not listening to years and years worth of poo poo to get caught up. I shouldn't have to do WORK to listen to a goddamn podcast.

Guys help I think there's something wrong with me.

Better yet I suggest you give all these videos a watch first. They're how I got into it and how I got all my friends in to it as well.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

SullivanPRIME posted:

Better yet I suggest you give all these videos a watch first. They're how I got into it and how I got all my friends in to it as well.

this video was the first one I saw and it is still the funniest I think.

SullivanPRIME
Mar 17, 2009

a pipe smoking dog posted:

this video was the first one I saw and it is still the funniest I think.

Jonathan's "Oh my god" at the beginning is one of the best Jah responses ever.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
This is probably my favorite video segment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIGiw-PL9Bs&t=40s

Jonathan's theory about how people used to jerk off in the 1920s and his demonstration of it crack me up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xluqh7SdMLc&t=123s

My wife's missing two things. Thumbs? Balls.

Mogambo
Jan 6, 2011

Thanks for the suggestions, all.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Anybody interested in giving the show a shot should probably just listen to the range of 120-129, which is the span where most of the YouTube videos are pulled from. For whatever reason I think those are some of the easiest episodes for first-time listeners to get into. Those have so many strong rants and raves, a couple stand out stories like Jah's "You would look a rasta in the eye" confession, a wicked strong series of Craigslist readings and some other great pieces. If you like those, the show is like that pretty much all the time.

Biodome posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xluqh7SdMLc&t=123s

My wife's missing two things. Thumbs? Balls.

I am not into games or drama.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Seth's freakout about the serial sperm donor's kids coming back to murder him was the funniest thing.

SullivanPRIME
Mar 17, 2009

Song For The Deaf posted:

Seth's freakout about the serial sperm donor's kids coming back to murder him was the funniest thing.

I just listened to that episode and laughed at that part and the killer dolls part harder than I've laughed at anything in months.

widunder
May 2, 2002

JethroMcB posted:

Anybody interested in giving the show a shot should probably just listen to the range of 120-129, which is the span where most of the YouTube videos are pulled from. For whatever reason I think those are some of the easiest episodes for first-time listeners to get into. Those have so many strong rants and raves, a couple stand out stories like Jah's "You would look a rasta in the eye" confession, a wicked strong series of Craigslist readings and some other great pieces. If you like those, the show is like that pretty much all the time.

I am not into games or drama.
Yeah, I think so too. I've gotten people into to the show based on the video clips.

"Wildcats delusion. You think you're Wesley Snipes or Woody Harrelson from Wildcats, but you're not. You're Forrest Whitaker, also in Wildcats".

E: "But one was wicked tall, the other one was kind of in a wheelchair! Schhhhhhhhhhh I have fergoli!"

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

nemoulette posted:

"Wildcats delusion. You think you're Wesley Snipes or Woody Harrelson from Wildcats, but you're not. You're Forrest Whitaker, also in Wildcats".

Oh god I'd forgotten this. Honestly one of the funniest lines ever, Seth is seriously one of the most hilarious people alive.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Mogambo posted:

Thanks for the suggestions, all.

Honestly if you've already listened to few episodes and don't like it, it's probably just not up your ally. One is generally as good as the other. I haven't listened to the back catalog yet, and I rarely feel like I'm missing out on a lot of inside jokes. Really, you either think killing your family in a plane crash (twice) is funny, or you don't.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

I'll catch you Bran! Hmm... nevermind.
Seeing the videos and having a visual for these dudes (Seth is hilarious with all his expressions) really helped sell me on it initially. I started listening RIGHT when they were gonna have their most recent live show, and didn't think I'd want to go. So regret that now.

Mogambo
Jan 6, 2011

So I saw a bunch of the clips and a few of the earlier episodes and have come to the conclusion that this show just isn't for me. They can be funny, I guess, but I just don't get the appeal at all. It feels like Seth is trying way too hard to be this bizarre character he's made of himself, and his affected speech pattern is just plain irritating to me. Jonathan doesn't seem to contribute at all (aside from laughing at Seth's non-jokes.) I like the "two guys bullshitting about nothing" podcast format a lot (e.g. Jordan, Jesse, Go and The Complete Guide to Everything), but at the end of the day I just can't stand either of these guys.

I thought I could maybe become a convert like with My Brother, My Brother, and Me (which owes a lot to UYD), but I honestly don't understand the universal praise UYD seems to always get. Oh well.

your heart
Oct 24, 2010

beating right next to me
Seth is probably the best guy in the world, and if you dislike him then there is no chance of liking the podcast. I love how every story that has younger people then him in it turns into him panicking about the kids calling him an old man and kicking him to the ground. "Get out the way old man."

your heart fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 5, 2011

SullivanPRIME
Mar 17, 2009

Mogambo posted:

So I saw a bunch of the clips and a few of the earlier episodes and have come to the conclusion that this show just isn't for me. They can be funny, I guess, but I just don't get the appeal at all. It feels like Seth is trying way too hard to be this bizarre character he's made of himself, and his affected speech pattern is just plain irritating to me. Jonathan doesn't seem to contribute at all (aside from laughing at Seth's non-jokes.) I like the "two guys bullshitting about nothing" podcast format a lot (e.g. Jordan, Jesse, Go and The Complete Guide to Everything), but at the end of the day I just can't stand either of these guys.

I thought I could maybe become a convert like with My Brother, My Brother, and Me (which owes a lot to UYD), but I honestly don't understand the universal praise UYD seems to always get. Oh well.

Eh, well you get points for trying. I figure even things that almost everyone seems to like has to have a bunch of people that don't like it for legit reasons too.

I used to love JJGo myself, but now I straight up can't get back in to it. Mostly because it seems like every time Jordan makes a good joke Jesse steps all over it. But alas thats for another thread.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

You're a terrible person for not liking the things that I like.

Just kidding. I appreciate you being amiable about it and not making GBS threads up the thread. Thanks for trying to see things our way.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
These Something Awful Forums are the most polite thing I've ever seen :sax:

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

I was feelin' horny and ornery hornery
I loved Jonathan's plea for a home testosterone kit and the idea that it would be such a common thing that you would be able to call in sick if your levels were too high.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
This is my favourite podcast and I listen to it all the time, but does anyone else sometimes get sick of how loving dumb Jonathan is?

He can be just as funny as Seth, but whenever he gets super serious and starts trying to diagnose the ills of society I get kind of annoyed. He never really formulates his thoughts properly and his insights aren't as insightful as he thinks they are. Sometimes you can tell that Seth is getting bored or annoyed and just waiting for a chance to move on to his next thing.

Also I really don't know why Jonathan keeps reading out 'Scientists have discovered...' stories recently because he never understands them and it's frustrating listening to him struggle through a really slow, mistaken explanation.

drat that sounds harsh. I still love Jonathan, but Seth is the reason I listen.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

fuf posted:

Also I really don't know why Jonathan keeps reading out 'Scientists have discovered...' stories recently because he never understands them and it's frustrating listening to him struggle through a really slow, mistaken explanation.

Yeah, I do wonder how someone can read so many science briefs and never realize that 'casual' doesn't make sense, so perhaps 'causal' isn't just a misspelling.

Quodio Stotes
Aug 8, 2010

by angerbot
Is there a way to fullscreen the flowplayer videos in seth's corner? I can't figure it out and I feel like and idiot.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Quodio Stotes posted:

Is there a way to fullscreen the flowplayer videos in seth's corner? I can't figure it out and I feel like and idiot.

Double-clicking does it for me

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.
Jonathan is the best, but he really needs to stop saying "ostensibly. "

widunder
May 2, 2002

fuf posted:

This is my favourite podcast and I listen to it all the time, but does anyone else sometimes get sick of how loving dumb Jonathan is?

He can be just as funny as Seth, but whenever he gets super serious and starts trying to diagnose the ills of society I get kind of annoyed. He never really formulates his thoughts properly and his insights aren't as insightful as he thinks they are. Sometimes you can tell that Seth is getting bored or annoyed and just waiting for a chance to move on to his next thing.

drat that sounds harsh. I still love Jonathan, but Seth is the reason I listen.
I don't know, I don't think Jonathan is particularly unintelligent, he just has a tendency to go off on dumb tangents sometimes. He can be pretty pretentious, but as far as his insights go, I think they're usually fairly well-grounded if you compare him (and Seth for that matter) to basically every other comedy podcast out there.

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

I've never been bothered too much by Jonathan's tangents.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

fuf posted:

Sometimes, but it's not so much as "he's loving dumb" as much as it is "he can't properly organize his thoughts." I've got no problem listening to his hippie'd out ideas, but it does get tiresome when he's trying to say the same thing for five minutes and failing to do so. That's why Seth is always there to move things along or burn him at the most opportune moment (See: The 70's aura film.)

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Yeah, 'loving dumb' was a bit strong. 'Unable to organise his thoughts' is spot on though.

I don't have a problem with anything he says, just with how long he takes to say it. Like sometimes he really struggles to even string a sentence together, and it interrupts the quick back-and-forth between him and Seth.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Jonathan trying to pronounce any unfamiliar word longer than two syllables is a loving shitshow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yanni Estacado
May 3, 2007

by T. Mascis
god, jah's story about stealing the horse guy's weed at boarding school owns