Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
The voicemail is down. That is not a thing of sincerity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Literally just heard that ep while on my re-tread of the backlog.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I've always thoroughly identified with Seth's anxiety and obsession.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I ran out of podcasts to listen to, so I dip back into the archives while waiting for current eps of other shows to drop. I'm on 85 right now. Oh, so good. I plan to go all the way up to when I started in 2010 with the first Marcia episode. Why not?

Edit: One thing that bugs me in the earlier eps that they drop is how much they rag on blind people wanting to do poo poo. I'm not blind, but I've done volunteer and professional work for the blind community, and it bugs me when they say things like "blind people shouldn't use the internet." I've said as much in passing to Seth when he calls back on my voicemails, and we had a long convo about his braille Playboys. Still, weird to jump back in to those earlier ones.

Song For The Deaf fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Sep 11, 2012

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Obviously the blind thing isn't a dealbreaker. I'm working on having listened to every episode twice. I realize it's stupid to be offended at a comedy podcast, it was just something that sat poorly with me about the early eps that doesn't show up that often later (kind of like how they cut out the "fruit" talk).

I'd rather they go off the dome with no filter than self censor and be sucky for it. We all have our pet issues.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Going back and listening to the backlog again, I'm a little unnerved by how much I empathize with Seth's tendencies. I might need some perspective.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Being gouged at the pump in these tough economic times.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I think I've only got two great albums in me.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

It does a good job of filling the time when I've listened to all of the current podcasts. It also helps if you can't be alone with your own thoughts.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

The whole thing about the Elmwood speed trap hits close to home for me (literally, I live in Cincinnati). They also quoted one of my former professors when they were talking about pedophobia.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I think he turned vegetarian after getting sober, if I have my chronology right.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

"Deep Cover". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKq9StBZ7tg

I noticed it, too, having just beaten Hotline: Miami while listening back through the archives.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

A huge appeal of the show for me is how much I identify with Seth's peculiarities.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I just listened to the ep this past weekend. I think it's in the 250s.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Straight up talking about my old college, too. I'll need to stop by UC's campus in order to snap pics of the vagina billboards.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

"Everyone gets a scepter. It's just not right anymore. gently caress me."

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Fuuuck. That was an awesome story that I was really glad Seth brought to our attention.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

One of my favorite stealth recurring bits is "ridiculous concert prices/absurd extras that come with them." I think it started with Bon Jovi tickets, then got crazier from there.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Are you ready for Bait World?

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

He would have been a little kid (about 4 or 5) when the Cowboys were at the height of their powers in the late 70's when the Cowboys WERE football. This also explains his abiding love for The Dukes of Hazzard and The Brady Bunch, and TV in general.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

UYD: Eligible to kill.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Hearing Seth talk about Papers, Please and Cart Life was like having him burst through a door into my world and start dropping science on me. I was composing strongly-worded voicemails in my head, explaining that his reaction was exactly the point, and all I heard in response was "ARE. YOU. OKAY?"

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Depending on how you run your accounting, you're going to have to pay substantial taxes on your Patreon income as well. The pledge number you see doesn't represent how much money they will get each month. You'll lose about 10% off the top to transactions that are declined, making the total more like $9,000. With Patreon's cut, and the credit card processing fees, $9,000 a month will net you about $8,100. Take 20% off the top of that for taxes (conservative), and 30% to reinvest in the business (pay for hosting, legal, accounting, help, travel) and you're looking at $4,050 take-home for the guys, or $2,025 each, in addition to whatever income they get from other sources. That feels somewhere on the low end for living in Los Angeles, especially if you also want to be insured.

The above calculations are pure conjecture, based on my own experience running a Patreon campaign. Churn/dropoff isn't as significant as you'd expect it to be. They were smart in not putting physical goods in their reward tiers, though.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I've had a Patreon active for 14 months. There's some churn, but things generally trend upward. Our high tier donors are the ones who stick around the longest. Most of the time, people don't drop out, they just lower their pledge amount... and then raise it later.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Don't forget the story about driving his pickup truck while in a K-hole.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Patreon recently changed the way they display the donation total, to better reflect what the creators actually take home. It's the gross total of pledged donations, minus Patreon's cut and the payment processing fees, and minus expected declined charges.

My campaign dropped by about 15% because of that, but it makes it easier to plan future goals.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Pittsburgh here I come (in a few days).

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Standing in line outside of Spirit.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Pittsburgh show was good and fun, but I got the sense that they were underwhelmed by the venue and crowd size.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Absolutely.

(Seth will absolutely cancel his subscription.)

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

My favorite part of that bit is a little beyond what you quoted. Seth presses Jonathan on the figure again by restating it. "One in ten?" To which Jonathan replies, "Yeah, it's _really sad_."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I remember Jonathan getting _really_ angry at him for giving information about the both of them to that Scientology museum.