Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Pryor on Fire posted:

If you've never worked an office job I can see how that might seem strange, but after you start getting stuck in meetings every afternoon working in close proximity with others you start brushing your teeth after lunch. At least you do if you're not completely oblivious to others around you. Or gum, something, please, my god.

I get the sense that our hosts have never approached anything resembling a normal office job.

Altoids.

I always pop one or two after lunch and before every meeting. I don't want to be the one that has coffee breath or smells like cilantro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Under the vegetable posted:

He probably thinks Jogger is going to have its big break any minute.

I like Jogger. What does Jonathan do with them, again?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

That's weird. I mean, I listen to every episode but I must always zone out when he mentions the band. I always hear him talking about stuff with Amir but I guess I never put it together.

Love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l24MRTxgvRE

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

You can take the Jah out of LA but you can't take the LA out of the Jah.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Seltzer posted:

UYD is good but there was a shift to "everything sucks and is bad" + seth rants over the past two years that can get a little tiresome. The tone of the show is especially weird when the Patreon has been a success.

I've been listening since 2007 and Seth has always been cynical as hell. If anything Jah has changed the most.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

God drat, they know Chicago is like the number 3 location for UYD fans but they haven't announced a show. I even left Seth a voicemail.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

No, I was still living down state and couldn't make it.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Can't wait to hear Seth's take on the Fyre Music Fest snafu.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I feel that most people agree that lately it's been Seth oriented so this ep was so refreshing.

It's also nice to hear Ja be so self deprecating given how much dumb crap he's said lately.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Jonathan's idea about socialized meth heads is loving hilarious. I love that as soon as he opens his mouth Seth just says to strap in for some stupid.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I don't do Patreon but I make sure to buy a few things for the store when they add new stock.

Picked up these the other day:

http://merch.uhhyeahdude.com/product/limited-run-wavy-tie-dye

http://merch.uhhyeahdude.com/product/california-plate-sticker

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Didn't they say that Chicago is like #3 in the country for UYD fans? Why do they keep bouncing off the east and west coasts but ignore Chicago.

They haven't been here in years and I'd love to see them. Every show announcement I hold my breath hoping that they'll come here.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Seltzer posted:

Because they live on West Coast and you can hit like 4 major cities with an small drive in between on the East Coast

I know this is the practical and correct answer but damnit come to Chicago!

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I mean, if you listen to Ja's stories it sounds like his parents really tried to keep him away from the Hollywood brat lifestyle. They're not buying him a 6 bedroom house with a pool. It's a three bedroom house (yes I know it's a million) and he works. You'd do the same for your kids if you were a sober dad that just got a sitcom picked up.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Seth would be the most hilarious kidnapping victim.

Could you imagine the indignation? Could you?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Got my new shirt and stickers in the mail yesterday. Kind of wish they would have put the stickers in between two pieces of cardboard. They're a little bent up but not like folded or anything.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

"That's Mr. Johnson's Johnson to you."

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

How was his performance?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Seltzer posted:

Anyone else fall out on this show really hard? UYD was mandatory listening for me for years and now I've got like a 15 episode backlog or whatever and I missed a bunch of shows in bursts before that as well. I feel like a lot of the joy and spontaneity has been sucked out of the show and that seth and jonathan have their guards up more than ever. Part of that I believe is due to a weird and increasingly vocal fanbase that is ready to jump down their throats for any perceived slight or "off color" comment (you even see that in this thread). Every episode is kind of "everything sucks" now and it's getting tired. I've already voiced my opinion on seths increasing rants and how they feel canned but the fact remains with that imo. It's a serious bummer because this was my favorite piece of media for a long time and now I've just moved on in a sense. Listening to earlier episodes the difference is just stark. It's not merely nostalgia, the tone of the show has shifted. If where seth and jonathan are at in their lives is what's informing the current podcast that's fine, I'm not going to request them to play the jester for me but it's a bummer.

They've been doing a podcast for almost 600 episodes and about 9 years. I'm not aware of anything other than radio shows that have lasted as long. They couldn't possibly stay exactly the same.

On top of that, think how drastically the world has changed in those years, hell the last two years.

Feel free to go back and listen to episodes 1-400 if you feel like they peaked. I know they have changed but fundamentally they are the same, and now they can actually make money without having to advertise.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I gave up on 600 about 15 minutes in. With 600 episode they can't all be winners.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I like listening to old episodes, looking at the dates, and traveling back to what I was doing with my life 10 years ago. It's wild.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

What the hell did you type into Google?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

This is the time of year when all sorts of podcasts and online blogs go on a month (or more) long vacation.

I hate it because work slows down and I have nothing to listen to or read at work.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Really enjoyed the newest episode.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

C-Euro posted:

The fact that the boys usually string together a few really good episodes right after taking a break just tells me that they need to go back to one ep a week, or that they need to take a page from MBMBaM's book and really try to keep each episode to an hour in length. When they put out two 90-minute episodes a week it sometimes feel like they're rambling for the sake of rambling.

Just curious; do you say that as a Patreon supporter or someone who buys merch every now and then?

Admittedly I'm not a supporter of the Patreon, but I always buy 2-3 pieces of merch when it comes in stock. I'm just wondering if Patreon supporters feel like they are getting more bang for their buck with two episodes a week plus access to the live shows.

Obviously not everyone will feel the same way, I just wanted to see if that was the case with you.

Beastie fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Dec 6, 2017

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Not surprising that the guy that doesn't even own a flip phone is terrified of self driving cars.

He's totally right about the Uber Flights. There's no way that works without over 10 more years of development. Hell, you're going to need special landing zones for these things so you don't kill a clueless pedestrian who's not used to looking up to avoid death.

Said landing zones will have to be near somewhere someone would want to fly conveniently.

It's all problematic but I really feel Seth is right on the flying cars thing.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Gotta melt this heart to get to this dick. UYD.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Woah. I assumed that the boys, like most podcasts, would take a whole month off but I’ve got like 6 unplayed episodes.

Sweet.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I'm behind (626) but drat do I love sober Jonathan. It's oddly touching to hear him talk about his Switch. I felt the same way the week Zelda came out.

Boys have been killing it for like 10 straight eps.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I heard that bit this morning on the way to the train and it really made me examine my own habits.

I've cut back substantially over the last few years because it's just not fun anymore to get drunk.

I'll still have a few beers at home on a Friday night over the course of 5 hours but I'm done going to bars and doing shots. I hit 30 this year and hangovers now last a day and a half while removing my ability to have an appetite.

It really resonated with me.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Even when I got out with the purpose of getting tore up I still drink half of what I used to.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Didn't he buy a Tesla? That's what kicked off their whole Uber Air and general automation chat for the last 5-10 episodes.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Do people really get radiation therapy and chemo for their dogs or is he just out of touch?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Realistically, how many more episodes do they have in them? Been at it for 12 years, 620 some odd episodes.

Patreon didn't start until the 500's, so they haven't really been making a living off the show until recently.

I don't think they'll get to 1000. They've been having some great shows this year but I feel as though they're slowly realizing just how long they've been doing this show. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they were able to make money off it, but I don't think it's enough to make them put up with it into their 50's.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

I agree, being sober helps them out. But I feel like Jonathan is like one self-realization away from quitting sometimes.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

He just posted the coffin that got a quinoa bowl spilled on it.

https://instagram.com/p/BfMb7X6Di3B/

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Depths posted:

stopping the show would actually kill seth

He works, does the show, and watches a poo poo load of tv. Does he try dating at all? He's mentioned various women before but it's never "I went on a date and it went hilariously wrong."

I'd like to know more about Seth's life. We also get these amazing stories from Jah.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Late to the game but I just called the voicemail to say that I have had Dippin’ Dots. Went to the same college as the founder, so it was a big deal there.

Also I gave Ja my friend code for Switch so we can be Nintenbros.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

poop dood posted:

It's perpetually fascinating to me to see how Jonathan thinks. His ADD is incredibly bad sometimes. During much of this past episode he'd get going on a jag and then audibly pause, forget what he was talking about mid-sentence, and start talking about whatever thought it was that distracted him. He's constantly swimming upstream through his own simultaneous violently-colliding trains of thought. Dude could use medication.

This combined with the fact that he really only groks 70% of the things he talks about doesn't help. Like, you'll hear him in a rant and at the core of it he really has no clue. He's a rich stoner kid from LA. He doesn't know poo poo about fixing this country's problems.

But by god do I enjoy listening to him explain how the average american thinks. He's oddly out of touch with stuff sometimes.

For me it constantly slips between "Jah you idiot" to "Jah you are hilariously out of touch" to "He's great."

He's got a good heart but he just exists in a world that very few people get to. A world where he has very little responsibility, ever.

It's not his fault. He'll cop to it all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Hey Skinner, how's your dinner?