Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I wonder if Seth envisions his black grandson as the kid he saw at McDonalds sharing fries with a pædophile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Shame on you Mr. Spielberg!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

This was in the related vids and is probably the best Ask Amy. Seth's portrayal of the guy's escalating rage is hysterical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z_tUxghWeA

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

And being unfamiliar with the word “ideations”

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

pooch516 posted:

A Best of Jah page with no mention of King Layda? Shameful.

I couldn’t find the clip, although I think it was just posted a few pages ago

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Magic Underwear posted:

271: jah posits that 30% of all gay men are actually straight and pretending to be gay so they can have dirty gay sex (??) and show off how counterculture they are

How many of them have down's syndrome?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I'm so glad Seth and Jah aren't saddled with a fandom like the one that the McElroys are shackled to. No one deserves that.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

nerve posted:

explain please idk anything outside of this post

The McElroys plight is to make a living doing comedy podcasts for a fandom whose loudest elements despise most of the elements we’d traditionally identify as “comedy”

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I would bet their number of downloads have been pretty steady for the past 8 years or so, but that their ranking has plummeted.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

GraPar posted:

Enjoyed Brad Pitt on yesterday's WTF saying he's watched every episode of Maron three times

If someone told me they had seen every episode of Maron even once I would think that was pretty strange.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I'm weeks behind, but Seth unloading on Dos Hombres Mezcal for nearly the entirety of 761 was a real return to form.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I think there's a good chance Seth wins the war with Breaking Bad/Cranston. 25 years from now he's still going to be ranting about the guy, and I'm going to think, "I don't know, maybe the show did suck, I can't even remember at this point." I feel like I'm a third of the way there already.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Some of the movies he claims to have walked out of beg the question- what was he expecting?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

JethroMcB posted:

Seth not liking Good Time was a big surprise for me. Seemed straight up his alley; a movie set in the modern day about a realistic scumbag doing believable things.

That does seem crazy, it's basically Cops: But Before the Cops Show Up

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Full-on boner rage

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Going back and watching some Seth’s Clips. Every episode is such a roller coaster

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Just learned his widow is still alive at 100. Must be something in the water.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Fan theory: Seth's obsession with Leno stems from unresolved issues with his father

Advanced fan theory: Jay Leno is Seth's father

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

So Max was like 7 years old when they started the pod

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Seth's dad seems like quite a character

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Is “the cocaine episode” what Seth calls ~1997-2005?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Nothing really makes sense other than "just show them doing the show", briefly cut the picture to the relevant video when they're discussing a TV clip or whatever but never interrupt the flow of their dialogue.

I think the top of the show has them doing the podcast and establishing a theme for the episode (through a tangent, a rant, a study they discuss but don’t fully understand, etc.), and then we see their individual experiences of the course of the subsequent week either challenge or validate their takes on said theme.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I wish the guys could do an annual “This Year in Florida” episode

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

65: Seth opens with a story about calling his bank to find out when a transaction will post and the guy says, "Mr. Romatelli, if you'll just wait until the witching hour,"

Was it Adam Carolla?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

They do a pretty good job just leaving it alone

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I think I shouldn’t know that, actually.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Seth's offhand mention that his lady friend had him watch WALL-E immediately conjured the image of him ranting "BEEP BOOP HELLO, DO YOU WANT TO PUT SOME TALKING IN YOUR MOVIE?"

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

DrVenkman posted:

Its a thing that people liked, so you can guarantee Seth hates it.

I think once Seth has it in his head that a certain director or actor will never produce worthwhile work, he'll never be won over by anything they do. He will always go in thinking "this is going to be stupid and lovely" and won't be dissuaded.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

He's a solid actor given the right role, he just has bad (but lucrative) taste personally. I'm sure there are a lot of actors like that, most just don't get infinite blank checks to make whatever movies they want.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

uber_stoat posted:

"Jonathan, those are terrible odds."
"I know, it's really sad."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36AqE5Ng_q4

That’s 323-481-4422

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Is there a reason that the episodes are going up on the podcast feed so much longer after they go up on YouTube? Seems like episodes go up on the Apple feed like a week or more after the listed date.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Jippa posted:

Because it's uyd. It's pretty silly.

It's not a big deal since the episodes are largely evergreen; I really just wanted to make sure it wasn't just me. When they upload a new episode with a date from ten days earlier, it makes it easy to miss on the "recent uploads" screen so then I look back at some point and 6 episodes have piled up.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

We’ll put a boot in your rear end, it’s the American Way

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I wonder if Seth ever posted a “missed connections” on Craigslist for this

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The current stuff sucks to talk about though

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

DrVenkman posted:

I don't think he drinks anymore but it also didn't seem like he had a problem with drinking. The majority of his stories seemed to be drug-related.

I think Seth is the same isn't he? There's an early episode where Jonathan mentions Seth being in recovery for drugs and quickly apologises for saying so.

I don't think the coke ever actually left Seth's system.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Wonder if Seth did his own stunt taking the tackle there

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

C-Euro posted:

lol Johnathan calling out Seth for hating comedy TV at the end of 820

Seth’s response of “I love to laugh” was truly chilling.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Admiral Goodenough posted:

Idk if this is an invasive question, but what are they up to in their private lives now, I'm so out of the loop. Are they married, what do they work with, do they still live in LA? Are there any big events they might mention basically. I haven't listened for 8 years.

Well, shouldn't be anything wrong with recapping what they've disclosed on the show:

-Both are still in LA; they still record in Seth's apartment, which is the same one he's been in for the duration of the show.
-Jonathan has been married several times over the course of the show, but I don't remember where he stands right now. Seth only ever obliquely references his dating life, and even that's pretty rare.
-Seth appeared as an internet repairman on an episode of IFC's Maron
-We found out this year that Seth has a half-brother who periodically calls him with ideas for new business models.
-Seth has a cat now
-I'm not sure if Seth still works at a dispensary or not. Part of their initial Patreon pitch a few years ago was that they could move to doing the podcast full-time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The Dance has been deemed "culturally significant" is going to the Library of Congress