Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Please remind me to draw more often.
Soiled Meat
I found out about UYD through the SA forums several years back and it's good y'all are running a thread in here because holy gently caress the facebook group is a shitshow. I recently got into a discussion with people on there who a) thought Big Bang Theory was funny, and b) didn't think Buzzfeed-like clickbait sites were any different than UYD because "Jah and Seth just read things they found, so that's the same right?" :downsbravo: I was literally having to explain the concept of plagiarism to adults.

I mostly joined the FB group to help support the show, but I think now I'm going to make an effort to call the voicemail on a semi-regular basis and buy merch for my friends.

Anyway, good thread up in here. Thanks for posting that Australian podcast. It was nice hearing entertainment/podcast veterans just talking about the business and how they view podcasting today vs six or seven years ago.

edit: Completely agree with complaints about the recording levels. Started to hurt my ears in the second half.

Scut fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Probated twice in your first week since reg. Welcome to SA!

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Is it cool if I listen to the podcast without the written permission of both Seth and Johnathan? I don't want to be weird.

Write to Seth and ask him. Postcards are acceptable but USPS Forever Stamps are preferred.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Sobriquet posted:

I was confused about that, too. There's the facebook page (americaspodcast) and a separate facebook group. The group requires some kind of approval to join and i figure that's where all the creep poo poo goes down.

I was directed to the current group from an old one Jonathan had started way back. FB had strange limits on how many friends you could have, so Jonathan started asking fans to subscribe to the group. I believe it was after the creation of that group that the americaspodcast page was established. A lot of the mess seems to stem from facebook's creation of new systems and altering of rules over the years. The fan group set up a vetting system (last I recall you just had to say what kind of car Seth drove) in order to keep bots and spammers out.

The official fb page (americaspodcast) updates so rarely that I had forgotten I subscribed to it. My feed pings several times daily with group updates as people post memes and get duped by fake stories and generally post a lot of poo poo that would never come close to being talked about on the show. Anyway, it was an oversight on my part not to specify which facebook entity I was griping about.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Another Person posted:

The current group does not have a vetting system. I know because I joined last night to see how weird it was, they accepted me with no issue. It is not that weird, it is just people quoting the guys and sharing things that seem like they would be on the podcast. Unless I am missing the deeper level conversation where they are trying to track down the old native american Jah stole weed from or some weird poo poo, they are just like any other fanpage.

If you've only been subscribed to the group for a short period then your opinion is the same as mine back when I joined.

CortezFantastic posted:

Welcome to SA, where every site/forum/community/subreddit/tumblr is the absolute worst because reasons

It's a fair critique of goons, but then again I've yet to encounter another online community as good as SA. It has the best combination of moderation, quality posting, breadth of discussion, and actual funny content. It's like the UYD of forums. Once I got listening to Uhh Yeah Dude I compared all other comedy podcasts against it. It's the gold standard yo.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
If any of you have seen the documentary Paris is Burning, you might have heard about it in the same way I did; from Jonathan mentioning it on the show. It's an amazing film about gay black culture in the late eighties in NYC and is also a glimpse into some of the roots of vogueing.

Anyway one of the people interviewed in the film is a veteran queen named Dorian Corey and it turns out there was a mummified corpse found in a trunk of his recently. Here's an article about it

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm catching up on the last few eps. 434 had me laughing hard when Seth described the rear end in a top hat dads in their lovely rig-outs at the Eagles concert. It reminded me of Toronto's Beer Fest. Then I'm laughing even harder as Jonathan calls Seth an idiot for even going in the first place.

A hallmark of UYD is their willingness to point out their own dumb actions. Heroic in a world where most others are constantly cloaking.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
This probably got posted much earlier in the thread but I just stumbled across Jon's appearance on Doug Stanhope's podcast.
http://traffic.libsyn.com/stanhope/doug_stanhope_podcast_024.mp3

It's extremely brief, and late into the show, but it's excellent. He walks in, tells a hilarious story of watching drunks in Reykjavik, everyone loves it, and then he dips out to go to bed or something. Doug comments on how Jonathan can tell a killer story without even trying.

I kinda like Stanhope's podcast for similar reasons to UYD, where it's mostly old friends sitting around telling stories, often at their own expense as most are embarrassing.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

I drew Laughing and Slapping hastily the day I went to see Jogger play in Toronto. Me and my friends gave a framed copy to Jonathan. Jonathan was fun to chat with and I got to meet Amir as well which was very cool, and Jogger are great so, yeah that was an excellent night. It's probably too much to hope for a UYD show in Canada, so I need to make an effort to get to their next show near the Ontario border.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm indifferent when it comes to poetry, unless you count Seth's rants which are masterpieces. I've been doing long drives for work recently and I now try to save UYD eps just for the car. I'm on 438 now and Seth opens the show with his ran on Neil Young. Holy poo poo was it funny. I often use the clip of his Kenny Chesney rant to introduce new listeners to the podcast.

Christmas is around the corner. Get up on that merch sale and help out the best podcasters ever. I gotta get one of the embroidered patches for a sick vintage denim jacket I just found. The brand is called 'US Tops'.
http://shirtsanddestroy.com/uhhyeahdude

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
They genuinely care what the listeners think. They don't really do shout-outs or read listener mail aloud. I like when they say thanks because they actually mean it.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Anonymous Robot posted:

Well, there's also the LA effect where Jonathan and Seth can't possibly conceive of how Hollywood actors aren't the center of the universe.

I think it's episode 438 Seth is talking about not being able to buy some chocolate treat from a cafe because of a civil war in the country it's sourced from and he's like "Bitch I'm on the Sunset Strip in Hollywood!". I laughed so hard. They're always toeing the line between wanting to only exist in their own bubble and freaking out about how insanely cut off they are from the world.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Damo posted:

While the early show still hold up just fine and are still just as entertaining as I imagine they were when they first aired, it does seem like it would be extra fun listening to UYD while the topics are fresh. However, for some stupid reason I just always find myself plowing through the back catalog instead.

When I got started with UYD I would alternate new episodes with old until I was eventually caught up. It didn't throw me off because even if the old stuff isn't super-current, it's still astonishingly relevant after 6+ years.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Comp my ticket from Toronto to HOLLYWEIRD :greatgift:

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Hocus Pocus posted:

I went to find this on YouTube, and low and behold, it was on Binowru's channel! Seth's Awful Dinner

Woah. That was a dark chapter... hilarious too.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
When are they going to add the UYD fragrance to the merch collection? I want to luxuriate in the top notes of grain alcohol, vanilla, lime and sandalwood.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
The official scent of UYD doesn't contain 'The Jazz'. It would probably be too powerful if it did.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Found in PHIZ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O9ByEEqImk

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
I was listening to the live episode #442 and at the end I think someone gave them a board game or something? Was it Jerry Maguire? I must have missed something because all of a sudden I heard Jon an Seth make a lot of hushed "holy poo poo" remarks.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Oh poo poo. Not only missed key show-audio but missed that post. Nice one Binowru!

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Half of Dracula posted:

You guys were not kidding, Seth sounds completely distraught in 444. Loving NIghtcrawler and hating Birdman was already pretty mental but the Cowboys have killed him.

Nightcrawler was loving amazing and is like a non-comedic UYD story.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Red_Museum posted:

Their website even has a podcast section.

Everything about this makes me think it's a cover for a scam or cloaked right-wing PAC or something. Here's the rear end in a top hat behind it: http://tayorockson.com/mission/ Yep he's got a mission statement.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Sitting here with my beard, letting my long hair doooown
Looking at these tattoos and wonderin'

Valentine's is coming up so I'd suggest to you all to call the voicemail this week and tell Seth how much you appreciate UYD in your lives. Oh and be nice to your boyfriends / girlfriends / Tina Turner fans.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Like any true love, it will arrive when you stop seeking it out.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
One of my close friends is a UYD fan and she's been saving 448 for a day when she'll be stuck at work. I told her she needs to spoil it in order to hear Seth go off about his Celebrity Name Game ringer team. Some of the hardest I've laughed during an ep in a while. When he mentioned 'Press Your Luck' it was exactly what I was thinking about at the time. I can just picture Seth scribbling out charts and schemes in the breakroom at his job.

Get em Seth.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Intro / outro tracks to 454 were really good. Love when Jonathan gives me something with a beat.

If I ever have a retail shop I'm gonna have a playlist of every track used for the show on shuffle.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

something clever posted:

On a re-listen right now. Episode 31, jah lights his first cigarette on air and states " I do not plan to make a habit of doing this". Classic.

I've had to drive a lot more for work recently, and I was getting a bit worried about not having fresh podcasts to listen to on the highway but you have just reminded me how great it feels to dip into old eps.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
As of this post there are about 858 people contributing $7,627/month. That averages out to 9 bucks per pledge, which seems really good to me, and I hope they do clear $10,000/month eventually, and beyond. If the show stayed at exactly the same quality it has for the last nine years I'd say we are getting far more than our money's worth. I'm curious to see if this results in greater numbers of listeners as patrons might feel more invested in the show and therefore spread word of mouth a little more?

Seth and Jonathan deserve a lot more and this was a great step.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Clay Higgins needs to be featured on UYD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz95O1OQCH0

Found him thanks to PHIZ

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Seth's summer jam of '93

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAhGMEXVdwg

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
I don't think live shows will ever be as good to listen to as regular eps, but they probably don't need to be. They're good fan service, promotion, and I would hope help earn UYD extra income. I think it would be great fun to attend a live show, but to me it would be about novelty and hanging out with other fans. I'm the sort of person who thinks live bands sound awful vs studio recordings though.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Has UYD ever talked about OJ Simpson's 'Juiced' reality show? I don't think I've seen it on a Seth's Clips but it looks loving crazy and horrible.

Here's the only clip I could find so far, it's an ad for a mail order dvd.
http://s107.photobucket.com/user/peacepoetic/media/MOV01370.mp4.html

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
I enjoyed the longform ep (469). It was a bit dull when Jonathan got lost during the story of hacking anonymized genetic data but I think it was more because he was waiting for an opening to interject that didn't come. The other stories worked because there were conversations happening with the main story as a hub.

If they try this format again in the future I bet they'll do a better job of it. One of the things I love about UYD is that they work very deliberately to keep things fresh and not develop crutches. I think live shows are a part of that, and while they might not be our favourite episodes to listen to, I think they keep Jonathan and Seth motivated and that helps the show overall.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
UYD space program.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/gsfc/20283986193/

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm down with the $3@tB37t$ longsleeve. Lil Babyhead would pick that. Still miss the prism logo. I need that on a tanktop bad.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

BIG CITY LAWYER posted:

I called the voicemail last week to share some of the terrible, hosed up, incredibly nasty messages you get as a chick on dating sites and Seth called me back yesterday :3: We discussed boner rage and dudes being hosed up and he said if I'm still dealing with this in 3 years we can get married so we now have tentative plans to wed on his 45th birthday.

I've yet to try for a callback from Seth but knowing he calls listeners back on occasion is still one of my favourite things.

Also that wedding podcast is gonna be pretty dope.

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
1)get an rss reader
2)shove this link into the rss reader
3)get new uyd the moment it's uploaded

4)[edit]come here to talk to goons about said ep

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat

Jippa posted:

jonathon

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
If you avoided ep 472 because it's live, go back and listen, it's so good. Felt more like a regular ep, less fan service. The boys had their timing down.

That Elijah Wood clip was pretty funny as well. The hosts asking "Have you heard Comedy Bang Bang? :downs: "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scut
Aug 26, 2008

Soiled Meat
Holy poo poo Seth rattling off all the ways America is #1 in parties