Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Just get the archives feed.
link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Giga Gaia posted:

Johnathan getting angry about his brother being 30 and it spiraling into how they're going to live in fans houses when they're old is about the funniest poo poo I've ever heard on the show.
ep?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

rare vids if you haven't seen them
patreon thanks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnDCSUaIsP8
jah spotted accidently as homeless man or hipster https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfSKLKiZqUw&t=162s

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Honestly if the were to stop UYD this would be the ep to do it on imho. But Jah, I have to say, your greatest contribution to this world will not be Jogger.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I think Jah is stuck in a pubescent phase of managing the anxiety of aging by believing he isn't 'there' yet. What he doesn't know is when was reborn as a prophet he became there itself.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I'd rather be in nerd forum feeling superior.

btw guys, how many episodes do you think they'll do? I think there is a chance they'll stop at 1000.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah can we not have the FBI or CIA or whoever does this stuff have an investigation into the Somethingawful thread about the podcast Uhh Yeah Dude? Or else I'll call you all uhh yeah duds!

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

http://survivor.wikia.com/wiki/Roark_Luskin
A contestant on the next survivor claims one of her hobbies is to listen to UYD.

Yee ahh!

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

^ I had the same experience with CT. it must be different humour sensibilities.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

It frightens me that Jah still has stories up his sleeve.

Also, does anybody remember th episodes where they had ads? I feel it was quite early on and it was weirdly 'product placed' into the conversation a la a Dr Drew.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Which episode is the one inducing headaches? I want to avoid it. 600?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Man, Jah owning up to drink driving :( but then Seth ridiculing him for moving home to be closer to the bar haha!

God I love this show. I keep recommending it to friends irl but like, podcast recommendations don't stick.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

lol at 617 jonathan mind imploding at the age kids should be ok to wear g strings

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Lol at Seth steering Jah away from discussing how much they are getting with patreon.

Loved the ep! When I get gta v I'm going to have a radio station of uyd. They are so perfect for that game.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

nerve posted:

lol they have only seen Mega Corporate bands??

like how does Jonathan's list not include a bunch of local bands?
I think they are only including those bands.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

nerve posted:

I am SO loving tired of listening to podcast hosts shill for poo poo

God bless uyd
ya
for real tho, all I listen to is UYD, old Loveline/c2c and terence mckenna. And thats all I've listened to since 2013. And I think its fair to say thats all I'll be listening to for the rest of my life. Jah!

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

C-Euro posted:

Those Burger King ads were incredible and any sort of machine learning / AI / "I fed this algorithm 1000 hours of X and asked it to make more of X" story these days is equally fascinating and terrifying to me. They all seem to wind up either completely demented or insanely racist/sexist/homophobic (Microsoft's Tay, that Amazon hiring algorithm that turned out be mad sexist etc.)
Yeah there is this weird effect of the "I fed this algorithm 1000 hours of X and asked it to make more of X" meme and its this.
there are equal parts people who genuinely believe they are real with people who genuinely believe nobody believes they are real. The problem here is that C-Euro is conflating the meme with, I guess, the general trend of brands releasing AIs which then copy the squalled lovely level of conversation that is twitter.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

"I have a bone to pick... with this bone that didn't get busted hashtag uydsethromatelli" had me chuckling

I loved 681. Comparing themselves to other big comedy podcasts, seth embracing the ocean, jah recalling calling the woman he lost his virginity to (on the beach seth visits 30 years later)

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Wait there are episodes out after the 20th of Nov ones??!!!!!!!!!

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Animated skits interspersed with Jah and Sah setting up their lounge in curated L.A. locations pertinent to their vibes.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

so far
-first dry line by seth and i'm smiling
-they have v constant personalities and vocal patterns from 06 to 19. its trippy. i guess we all do. but its weird to hear them so long ago and yet almost exactly the same. less seth yelling
-i'm not looking forward to 'fruits' and 'he's a fruit'
-the volume is super low. ugh.
-the songs are gone. yay. i genuinely enjoy hearing what genre/mood jah has chosen but then skipping until the stardate. does anybody do this?

Lampsacus fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jan 7, 2019

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Weird rail against #metoo in the latest episode.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Sans the casual homophobia, misogyny, transphobia and racism of the early episodes yeah.

But still! Congrats uyd and thank you to this thread for introducing me to what become my favourite podcast a good, uhhhhh god, eight years ago.
e: they should go the classic $5 for a bonus ep a week route i reckon. or even a bonus ep every second week. i know they tried the 2 eps a week and i think it was too much for them. so maybe if they put one behind a paywall and recorded a bunch of backlogs for it then it would work.

Lampsacus fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Feb 13, 2019

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

ol yeller posted:

I know that two a week was a bad idea, but what if they did two a week? Any thoughts?
Yeah and record a bunch of backlogs. Its what other podcasts do that have run the same 'two a week' situation to overcome burnout.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Biodome posted:

Still making progress on my relisten, currently on The Lost Episodes. Remember some of my favorite bits, Seth ripping on Robin Williams' racist black guy character, "and by loving I mean loving and by loving I mean hitting." Laughing and slapping.
Keep us in the loop with any other gems you come across yo!

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

TV ONLINE posted:

I think I just need to take a break. I'll check in on this thread from time to time to see if Seth's ready to be funny again.
100% you've changed. Podcasts are like friends in that you outgrow them occasionally. In fact, because their vitality depends on a consistent (stagnant) personality, they seldom outgrow you.
e: also yeah lol at unmarried loner being an insult. I guess you are married now?

Lampsacus fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 6, 2019

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I think this remains one of my top five UYD bits: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8gVd6GPcKQ

I wish there were more uyd animation on youtube!

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

bee eater posted:

still thinking about what happens in seth's brain to get an adrenaline rush off of spending 4 hours in a museum and then go to another museum

which ep is this a reference to? i have't been keeping up

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I've started listening again after dipping out for a couple of years, but is Seth still driving the dance? Because I kind of got that impression but it seems insane.
Yes and yes its a bit mad. Is there a sundance in gta? I've always wanted to have uyd mp3s playing on a custom radio station and just drive around. I'm 30 and this is one of my main goals in life what is wrong with me

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

H2SO4 posted:

oh my god there’s a UYD thread, I’m so happy sup y’all
Welcome! Seth or Jah?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Krazyface posted:

iTunes just pushed an update which set every podcast to limit stored episodes to 3.

Anyone know where I can get access to eps 433 through 531? I was too slow to save those ones.
From my limited googling, it looks like the update switched all users to a default and you can turn it back. I think. I haven't touched mac since the ipod shuffle.

I would advise backing up mp3s for every single UYD episode if you can! its a treat! One thing I like to do is point my GTA custom radio station at my UYD archive.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Jah getting into video games in his 40s kind of sums him up in 2019. A regular trope I adore is Jah explaining his pov on some poo poo and Seth's silence as he struggles to not roast him too badly.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

when seth starts layering bits with the synthetic cadavers and officer ****ed up oh my god i had to stop walking and just stand there with a stomach sore from laughing.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I wonder what their downloads are over the years. Man, I'd love to see that data. I feel they are probably pretty steady; relatively high at the start and now relatively low.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

This is Utopia~
powerful callback

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Tempura Wizard posted:

I'm also working through the backlog and the last few months were very good. Especially Seth's rant(s) about Dos Hermanos Mezcal [761], oh my goodness. Also, not sure why, but my life is a little more complete by having heard Seth Romatelli shout "Where the gently caress is Fire Emblem?!" and giving Jah poo poo about playing Smash Bros [758].
Well now you've got me listening to [758] and theres a good moment at 12:50 where they are both reaching for a word to describe Imagine Dragons. And they simultaneously say empthetic.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

And when they were 29 and 33 years old. All UYD is good, but the first couple hundred episodes were good. Well, apart from the rampart homophobia.

Oh and my sparkly UYD pin came today! The attachment makes it hang wrong so the words are sideways but I'm still stoked.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Transcribe every single UYD episode. Edit.
Compile into a book. Have them both monologue some reflections and transcribe that. Add some fan illustrations.
Sell for... $30?
This would be cool. Also intense because it would probably be pretty long so they would realistically maybe only transcribe 100 or so fan favourite episodes.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Binowru posted:

I used to transcribe professionally. If someone wanted to pay me a decent rate to transcribe UYD I would absolutely do it.
Huh cool. In your estimate, roughly how many words would each episode be-ish?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I love Seth and UYD but his love of cops/LIVE PD wasn't great.