Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Giga Gaia posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOUey53Js10
that story about him seeing the incredibly long line on the day legal recreational weed happened in california and going in the back to buy a single joint he'll never smoke was great. what a wonderful weirdo
Do you know the episode number?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah they are such perfect companions. Both to each other and to reprieve me of the poo poo and stress of life. Just listening to Jah attempting to explain Terence Mckenna to Seth only for Seth to go "Yip" a few eps back, perfect. And then in the latest ep Seth referencing Mckenna in a way that you just know he has gone and researched him.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I believe it was Entourage (2004–2011) of all shows.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I have one and I'm in little old Aotearoa so well done, J. I appreciate it.

I was thinking about UYD last night as I was falling asleep, and I was thinking how vunrable it might feel to have all your fiobles and issues out in the public domain like Jah and Seth do. But I think they know a vast majority of people who bother paying attention to them do so out of a sympathetic shared understanding that we're all a bit hosed and love 'em anyway.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

So did he, uhh, fly back every week for the episode??

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

The 500s are so solid.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Kanye west, Travis barker and jonathon Preston laroquette together at last
What is this in reference too, please?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Maybe it was a meta bit.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

pooch516 posted:

Think so, sometime last year. He talked about it, but I can't remember the episode.
Yeah it was from posting it on his insta, I think. I can't believe they are going to hit ep 1000! I wonder if they'll retire at that point? Or change the format? I also can't believe they haven't switched to a $5 a month/every 2nd ep behind the wall.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah, does anyone remember the ep when Seth started lovewatching breaking bad? I feel it was somewhere in the 700s.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah I think back to that wtf interview sometimes, Marc's partner (at the time?) was super into uyd so they scored it. And Seth reminded me of those really funny introverts who need particular social settings to relax and enjoy being the funny person out loud. Also I think a few years later, when he had his bit part on Maron, Seth gave Marc a lift from lax and was super stoked about it. Thinking about it now, I feel like Marc would fit in real well with the boys. But there is no way their business practices align haha

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Oh man, I remember independently watching YouTube copies of Utopia when it was on. Then Seth started talking about. And I knew in that moment UYD4LYF.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I'll never forget perking up at him bringing up and trying to explain Terence McKenna to Seth, this is like after 700 episodes or something. And Seth just absolutely not vibing a word of it. Not all ones homies will be homies amongst themselves.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

May I have a link to the discord? Or is it through their patreon, of which I am a member?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

The cosmic coincidences segment was perfect Jonathan bait
Which episode is this from? And which recent episodes have some Jonathan woo woo stuff?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I do find when I'm in a sober, neurotic state Seth makes much more sense to me. But when I'm in an altered, perhaps dreamy/sleepy state it's Jonathan spitting straight hard truths and the real questions all the way through

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

They might be anxious because of economic instability.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I'm committing to a relisten of the whole show over the next ? months/years. But I can't decide whether to go backwards or forwards! has anybody listened to the show in reverse order or is that crazy?

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

That would suck but also 1000 episodes of uyd is such a blessing overall. Plus, as per the latest ep 972, they can just get voice robots to replace them. Jah can finally dedicate more time to the band.
E: ten years of listenership for me. My first post a decade back in February of 2013:

Lampsacus posted:

I listened to this a year ago and didn't 'get it'. It's just two guys talking about crap. I could do that on the couch with my flatmates.

I've listened to ten episodes in the past two days. Oh my, what a goldmine!

Q: Should I start from the start?
I remember what clicked it for me was the op describing them as like, the neurotic failed LA actor and the buzzy hippie ex rasta. It was the fact that these guys had lived interesting lives, fallen on their faces (as we all do, constantly), and now had reached a point where they could laugh at themselves. I think it was similar to a turning out I had back then so it really resonated. Ahh.. 2013 where I was starting to learn it's ok to laugh at yourself and life and it's all good homie, hop in etc.

Lampsacus fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Apr 6, 2023

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

New York Astrology Conference is happening this year. They aim to build credibility. Workshops include "finding the gypsy within".

Later jah claims if he ever saw Johnny Depp in real life he'd punch his neck haha. They also hate John Mayer, they look up his fashion and jah gets mad because its precision what he would wear haha

I love when they riff on American LA new age hippie stuff because we have some of that here in NZ and it's very funny to riff on.

E. 325 2012

E: also lol. Jah says a dumb thing, Seth replies "I don't think people realize, we are two dudes and we talk a lot of poo poo. Sometimes people call up [to correct us] but like,, we don't know anything. We are talking absolute poo poo. But you know Jonathan, you might be right about this one, I think this one is the exception."

Lampsacus fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 6, 2023

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I think comedy is subjective and podcasting fans live in complete echo chambers where their faves have monopolies on funny banter. Everyone thinks their parasocial besties are the funniest. When I think back to high school, the funniest two dudes in my year group were my friends. In my adult life, the funniest two dudes are Uhh Yeah Dude. Clearly and obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

No but its real recent, like this year and in the last 5-10.