Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SullivanPRIME
Mar 17, 2009

Al! posted:

Because part of their job is taking photos of the ATM site to report to the bank, including of receipts to check receipt quality.

Wait what? Thats a real actual thing? I was so with Jah on that. Guess not. I've probably listened to each episode like 3 times over at this point and I'm still madly in love with this show. Also texting Jonathan actually works for all you new guys, I've gotten quite a few responses from him.

quote:

Like him going on a date with a girl to a Papa Gino's.

I think you mean Puppa Gino's. And Priv-a-see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SullivanPRIME
Mar 17, 2009

Riptor posted:

Also wasn't Jonathan married at some point? There was some weirdness there

Yeah to a lady named Justine I think, he mentions getting divorced a few times though. Though not actually officially divorced for whatever (probably Jah's lovely finances) reason.

SullivanPRIME
Mar 17, 2009

JethroMcB posted:

Episode 100 is a full video episode, split in two parts. It's on the RSS feed, I believe. The YouTube videos are all segments from when they had the crew in, somewhere around 120-129. Those also happen to be some the funniest episodes that stand up to repeat listenings.

Yeah, but I've been wondering, they probably recorded the whole entire episodes and then cut them up in to the clips, so where are the full master recordings of the eps?

EDIT: Not that I actually expect you to know, just asking rhetorically

SullivanPRIME
Mar 17, 2009

Drewsky posted:

Did Ricky Gervais really call in and leave a voicemail?

Yeah literally actually Ricky Gervais

SullivanPRIME
Mar 17, 2009

DrVenkman posted:

Weird, I totally forgot it was renamed.

But yeah what I meant is I assume Robinson introduced Gervais to the show.

I just listened to a random episode that had Seth riffing on old school hip-hop and inexplicable laughter at the end of a line that had me cracking up.

So, how truthful do you think Seth is? He claims ignorance to a lot of things which I assumed was him playing a character of sorts, but at the same time he's such a weird dude that some things wouldn't surprise me.

About the argument. Doesn't the crutch of it become about adoption Vs actual parenting? I can see both sides of their argument. Seth's was that the greatest thing about raising a child is creating it, while Jonathan argued that it was bullshit. But saying that it's been a while since I've listened to it.

Yeah it boils down to that. Honestly Jah sorta won that one, it was the first and possibly only times I think I got pissed at Seth. I think it was especially insensitive given the fact that Jonathan's older sister is from another father, but was essentially adopted by John and given his last name when he married her mother.

SullivanPRIME
Mar 17, 2009

Biodome posted:

That loving killed me and I wish they still did it. Doing it in that 1930s switchboard operator voice.

Calling St. Loooouis!

SullivanPRIME
Mar 17, 2009

Drewsky posted:

Calls you back? I thought he only did the voicemails?

If you leave a message on his personal phone with your number on it he will generally call you back.

SullivanPRIME
Mar 17, 2009

Mogambo posted:

I've tried so many times to get into this podcast based on the recommendations people have made, but I just can't get into it. I really really want to like it, but it always feels like I'm listening in on a couple of smug hipsters laughing at a series of inside jokes for an hour.

Is there a certain place to start, because it's just not clicking with me. I know a lot of people have started from the very beginning, but gently caress that - I'm not listening to years and years worth of poo poo to get caught up. I shouldn't have to do WORK to listen to a goddamn podcast.

Guys help I think there's something wrong with me.

Better yet I suggest you give all these videos a watch first. They're how I got into it and how I got all my friends in to it as well.

SullivanPRIME
Mar 17, 2009

a pipe smoking dog posted:

this video was the first one I saw and it is still the funniest I think.

Jonathan's "Oh my god" at the beginning is one of the best Jah responses ever.

SullivanPRIME
Mar 17, 2009

Song For The Deaf posted:

Seth's freakout about the serial sperm donor's kids coming back to murder him was the funniest thing.

I just listened to that episode and laughed at that part and the killer dolls part harder than I've laughed at anything in months.

SullivanPRIME
Mar 17, 2009

Mogambo posted:

So I saw a bunch of the clips and a few of the earlier episodes and have come to the conclusion that this show just isn't for me. They can be funny, I guess, but I just don't get the appeal at all. It feels like Seth is trying way too hard to be this bizarre character he's made of himself, and his affected speech pattern is just plain irritating to me. Jonathan doesn't seem to contribute at all (aside from laughing at Seth's non-jokes.) I like the "two guys bullshitting about nothing" podcast format a lot (e.g. Jordan, Jesse, Go and The Complete Guide to Everything), but at the end of the day I just can't stand either of these guys.

I thought I could maybe become a convert like with My Brother, My Brother, and Me (which owes a lot to UYD), but I honestly don't understand the universal praise UYD seems to always get. Oh well.

Eh, well you get points for trying. I figure even things that almost everyone seems to like has to have a bunch of people that don't like it for legit reasons too.

I used to love JJGo myself, but now I straight up can't get back in to it. Mostly because it seems like every time Jordan makes a good joke Jesse steps all over it. But alas thats for another thread.

SullivanPRIME
Mar 17, 2009

bango skank posted:

I am a Rastafarian, and it is against my religion to lie and steal.

YOU WOULD LOOK A RASTA IN THE EYE...

SullivanPRIME
Mar 17, 2009

Asnorban posted:

Love that one as well. Also where his housekeeper finds the Fleshlight.

Her name is Jessica.

SullivanPRIME
Mar 17, 2009
Or when Jonathan posited whether or not it would be better to molest a regular young girl, or a mentally retarded one and Seth says "Thats a bold, psychotic statement you've made there. But go on."

SullivanPRIME
Mar 17, 2009

RustyTrombone posted:

Eddie Murphy man, he fell off on that one.

I think Shalamar was the one who fell off...

SullivanPRIME
Mar 17, 2009

The Quake posted:

*Great grandson

Jeff has a name, racists.

SullivanPRIME
Mar 17, 2009
As a gay guy who is obsessed with UYD I can say with confidence that they definitely ease up after spending a lot of time making some borderline inappropriate comments.

SullivanPRIME
Mar 17, 2009

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

I can't wrap my mind around being someone who listens to UYD and gets offended by some of the things they say.

I mean I wasn't really that offended, but it was really their tone and the manner in which they would say certain things like "fruit" and what not. I don't know if you're gay but its one of those things you only get once you've been actually called that with the intent of offending you. Though I was certain the entire time that neither of them were honestly homophobic.

SullivanPRIME
Mar 17, 2009
You're all wrong, the best is his rendition of classic Norah Jones song "Don't Know Why (I'm loving You)"

SullivanPRIME
Mar 17, 2009

jackhunter64 posted:

I'm getting far more excited than I have any right to over them asking for more 'things horned up dudes say'. Scootch down, I want to see my balls.

You look like a monkey.

SullivanPRIME
Mar 17, 2009

Song For The Deaf posted:

LeTurn and Schneere is, no joke, my favorite bit they've ever done. I had to pull over to the side of the road to avoid dying.

I name pretty much every video game character i play as either Schneer or Leturn when i have the chance.

SullivanPRIME
Mar 17, 2009

Clothed N Famous posted:

Didn't Jonathan's father basically adopt his half-sister when he married Jonathan's mother? Raise her, have her use his last name, etc? I remember this being pointed out earlier in the thread when talking about this argument, it would make Jonathan's point of view a lot clearer.

Yeah I think I may have pointed that out. That fact is probably really what made Jonathan get so pissed off when Seth made the dogs comment, not just because he hears it all the time and its condescending, but also because yeah his sister is essentially adopted by his father and for Seth to insinuate that somehow she is less loved than Jonathan or their brother is by Big John was probably personally infuriating.

So yeah Seth was completely 100% in the wrong in that argument. I'm a gay UYD listener and to hear him talk about adopting kids like its somehow worth less pissed me off too. The idea that I may some day adopt a child and yet it's not on the same level as some dump poo poo 19 year old breaking a condom in his 16 year old girlfriend just really put me off.

But yeah all that was literally induced by toxic gas so I'll let it slide.

SullivanPRIME
Mar 17, 2009

CortezFantastic posted:

It wasn't that it is worthless, it was that it's not the same as having your OWN kid. Which I sided with Seth on, but the argument was stupid. Adopting a kid is an amazing thing to do, but it's not like having your own.

EDIT: NVM My bad guess I'm the rear end in a top hat

SullivanPRIME fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 12, 2012

SullivanPRIME
Mar 17, 2009

brainsforbrains posted:

"Jonathan, what the gently caress is a lesbiamis?"

Foremost to attend college, 200 to goo a month, call Teeana Mackay

No joke i listen to 123 once a week.

SullivanPRIME
Mar 17, 2009

JethroMcB posted:

"I'm not going to give this number out."
"I did."

I like Seth's style. You put your number up on a flyer asking for a lesbiamis roommate, dammit, that's out in the world.

I wonder if the number still works? I've always been a bit too afriad to come to words with a Lesbiamus myself.

SullivanPRIME
Mar 17, 2009

JethroMcB posted:

I miss the long list of trivia that some stick-in-the-mud deleted long ago

How about Seth's bitch ex wife and 3 autistic daughters

SullivanPRIME
Mar 17, 2009
Someone needs to contact Jonathan about starting up a kickstarter fund, to like expand their merch, their tech and maybe the costs of the voicemail server etc. I know the donate button is already there, but hey, Kickstarter is popular so why not give that a whirl.

SullivanPRIME
Mar 17, 2009

GraPar posted:

Yeah, while I'm sure Jonathan feels burnt out every now and again (and you can sometimes tell), I do think some people on this thread (and the UYD forums) were being a bit hasty in assuming he'd lost his phone on purpose and that this was connected to the week off.

Agh, I feel like this post is kind of negative, didn't mean to be a depressed Dad.

Nah I notice it too, I mostly just find it silly though. Jonathan takes a week off and everyone assumes that hes divorced, his dog died and that John Larroquette has disinherited him.

SullivanPRIME
Mar 17, 2009

DepoProvera posted:

While we all did freak out unduly, Jonathan did say he's thinking about moving to New York/Toronto. How would the show continue if this happened?

He said he was thinking about going there for a little bit before moving back to Downtown LA

SullivanPRIME
Mar 17, 2009

Al! posted:

I loved the Mayan calendar segment. Jonathan spouting all sorts of crazy poo poo about scientists giving more credence to the Mayans and the end of novelty and Seth is all "I think we'll be fine."

Like he said, until Quazacoochie is sittin on that couch watching the world end with him, we'll be fine.

SullivanPRIME
Mar 17, 2009

bango skank posted:

Baby, they will kick us off of this plane.

I'VE GOT THE DRUGS MUTHA FUCKA

SullivanPRIME
Mar 17, 2009

Behold! A Elk! posted:

Man can I just like get a thing off my chest to some people who will at least get what I am talking about? No one even needs to respond to this I just need to let it out. I was reading all that stuff earlier in here about Jonathan and Seth saying slightly ignorant stuff occasionally and I totally was understanding of a lot of peoples points that basically were "These are funny people from LA of course they are going to occasionally say some stupid poo poo or be ignorant about something". I settled in the next night to episode 327 trying to relax before bed and Jonathan starts in with saying "tranny" and it really just ruined my whole night after that.

I realize that as a transwoman I'm not exactly an unbiased listener here but it just really sucked to here that kind of thing coming from someone who I at least respect even if I don't know him personally. I know this is way too serious and I promise I am not going to send an essay to anyone or do some other crazy poo poo I just wanted to type it out really.

Anyway have a nice night everyone.

Im a gay UYD fan, and i totally get where youre coming from. the recent attempt from Jonathan to backpedal on his use of human being, 10 episodes after saying that he didnt think calling him Jah was "appropriate" had me miffed to say the least. But honestly the way I look at it is that Jonathan, while ignorant, is seemingly a loving accepting guy. I don't think he means to offend people, he's just as rear end while trying to express himself

SullivanPRIME
Mar 17, 2009

Chemtrail Clem posted:

The people who are saying "Theyre just idiots and the show is funny because you get to laugh at their ignorance" are completely missing the point, Seth is a smart guy and Jonathan is at the least very self aware of how silly he is, and they play all the stupid stuff they do for laughs. Its the point of the show, it's like watching Colbert and saying "Yeah, I dont know, this Colbert dude kinda seems like an ignorant Republican gently caress, but the show does have occasional bits of genius if you just try to ignore that dumb rear end in a top hat." It's the entire joke going over your head, the subtitle of the show is America Through the Eyes of Two American Americans, its a commentary on America. Either that or Seth is really a single dad who eats goji berries and just wants his tween daughters to look their sexiest

No, I get that over arching joke of them being purposefully ignorant, but this is the case of true ignorance slipping through, or being offensive in a non funny way. I've listened to every episode a million times over. I don't think I'd still be on this podcast if I didn't get it.

SullivanPRIME
Mar 17, 2009

CortezFantastic posted:

The things I have learned so far on RGD is that someone is overly sensitive (and maybe rightly so), makes a post, and then for two pages people discuss the same poo poo which is "it's a loving comedy podcast". Everything already been covered, nothing more to say. So just chill bra, smoke a jay with Jah and have a Pepsi Max. Let's end it here.

Ill be glad to lay this discussion to rest, but I don't think it's really fair to fault people for talking about issues they have with the sort of language Jonathan and Seth use. People saying the word human being on a basic level gives me an unfortunate, uncomfortable feeling. I'm sorry that as a gay guy that I'm ruining your podcast by bringing this up, but I just think that a 30 something guy in L.A. whos father was prominent in the entertainment industry would know enough gay men and woman to know how needless that word is.

Feel free to ignore this post and move on, but Jonathan has been made aware of this since episode 30 and quite frankly if he hadn't tried to justify it recently, I would have just let it go as a slip up, but after that I felt it was fully worth a call out.

SullivanPRIME
Mar 17, 2009

CortezFantastic posted:

No, it's because literally everything has already been covered, so anything more on this specific topic is just repeating the same things. Seth disses the Beatles and it pisses me off so maybe I should write a short essay about how wrong he is and why doesn't he see how they changed everything. What kind of 30 something thinks like this???

Because not liking the Beatles is literally IRL comparable to hate speech against other human beings. Thanks for your serious and well thought out entry into this discussion.

SullivanPRIME
Mar 17, 2009
Not to mention that Seth and Jonathan always work as a pair, where as on that episode it was 4 people at once. I certainly understand not liking JJGo, even though I myself am a fan, but yeah its sort of ridiculous to spend time talking about how much you hate Jesse Thorn because he made a bad episode of his podcast with Seth and Jonathan. Not to mention all it serves to do is make this thread seem like it was cut out of UYD's lovely rear end forums

SullivanPRIME
Mar 17, 2009

Cast No Engine posted:

Anyone else get a little dej v when Jonathan told the story of his adult DVD authoring friends in 347? Not sure what episode it was when he first told it, and he made some alterations (he changed 'meat' to 'steak'), but it was basically the same exact story. Seth didn't seem to notice it was a retread either.

Not that I can blame him, it's a pretty good anecdote and it was a long time ago I think.

I was actually just listeneing to that episode yesterday and yeah I think it was from an episode in the 60-70 range. At least a few years ago.

SullivanPRIME
Mar 17, 2009

Maduo posted:

Same here. Is this the part where we all panic and wonder if the show is over?

Jonathan started smoking crack and killed his new new girlfriend, Seth is moving to Ontario with his mother, pass it on!

SullivanPRIME
Mar 17, 2009

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Well I mean, why would he care, he's moving to New York soon anyway.

There's nowhere else for him to commit suicide the way he plans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SullivanPRIME
Mar 17, 2009

dvorak posted:

I had that Earth Day discussion the guys were having a few weeks ago on my mind, and needed to hear the story about that guy who founded it.

Check this out: http://www.nbcnews.com/id/42711922/ns/technology_and_science-science/t/earth-day-co-founder-killed-composted-girlfriend#.UX-nbrV4B8F

You want to talk about people loving cloaking it, here's subject #1.

Being from Philly you'll see the occasional mention of him on the news every few years. I remember being like 8 when I heard that story about the closet and just being loving traumatized by the thought of it.