Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Of course there's a UYD thread here. Don't know why I never checked, been listening since the youtube clips from 2009 and am currently going back from 1 up to current day! Just passed 299.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Is that what they're doing now? A retrospective sorta deal?

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

pooch516 posted:

The last couple eps have been Seth's old notes, starting with '07 I think. Some stuff has been talked about before (I think they've even said as much) but also a lot of stuff they never mentioned or talked about.

A lot of "You think 2008 is crazy? Buckle up!"

It's both comforting and horrifying.

Haha yeah, I'm in 2012 right now so the end of the world Mayan jokes are running rampant. If only they knew! Jah talks about watching someone watching contagion on a plane and how real it was haha.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Ep 309 - Live show! - 15:24 - Seth finds something in Jonathan's childhood dresser that Seth now has in his bedroom.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

DrVenkman posted:

Nah. I think the fact that Sandler can do great dramatic work but chooses to do lovely Netflix comedies so he can hang out with his friends is kinda hilarious.

Meyerowitz stories cemented that for me. He did a great job in that but yeah, if someone offered me millions of dollars to shoot easy lovely movies would I do it? Absolutely.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

103, 48 minutes, after a great Seth rant about getting old and out of touch:
J: Now I was thinking about something -- what if we could fly? I was thinking about it in all seriousness though,
S: Are you loving drunk right now?
J: I was thinking about this: I think at the core of humankind, at the core of human existence, there is... in essence, so much of what we do and have done is due to the fact that we have the inability to fly.
S: loving poo poo man.
J: I think I'm on to something. I gotta maybe think about this--
S: You're not on to -- you think the fact that your father sent you a loving gay-rear end screen saver of like birds that have formed a smiley face and now you're some sort of like, "hey man, you know what I'm thinking about civilization and everything we've accomplished, both here imperatively and theoretically, is the fact that mankind does not have the ability to fly." I guess that's true?

SethandJah.txt

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

inferis posted:

It’s unfortunate that since they’ve grown and changed so much we don’t have as many ‘Jonathan says something stupid and Seth encourages him to elaborate while giving out the voicemail number’ moments

It's definitely one of my favourite parts of the earlier eps. I'm around 320 now and Jah just went on a baby rant about how Seal Team 9 is real and was practicing psychic warfare and the dude who is bringing this to light is DEFINITELY not crazy and being charged as a sex offender as part of a smear campaign.

The entire time Seth is more or less sitting there saying "oh really? please continue."

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Ep 333 - 23:10
Jah: A new study conducted by careerbuilder.com says that women were more apt than men 61% to 56% to experience road rage while driving.
Seth: Doesn't surprise me.
Jah: Does it? It doesn't?
Seth: You seen these fuckin ladies?
Jah: Well..I see em driving badly, but I don't see em driving angry.
Seth: Hah hah hah hah....8888422357

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Pooky posted:

Seth should sell headshots in the merch store. He must have some gems.

I went back and found all the old clips of him in ads and shows and stuff and those were pure gold. I can only imagine what his head shots would be like.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

GraPar posted:

Also don't think I remember the context of the dead parrot?

That's parrot-larroquette! The parrot Jah saves from the middle of the road that is about to be eaten by hawks who then dies in his arms and he gave a viking burial, possibly on the night of a superbowl?

I think it's my favourite Jah related story.

A while back I found the old Seth acting clips from their website and saved them all, so if you've ever wanted to see all of them:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1YCqOXf_gsoZwJKOlAeQ8VEftWq84cwwG?usp=sharing

Claes Oldenburger fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Aug 1, 2020

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

GraPar posted:

Thank you both! I think in my head I was mixing up the parrot story with the rat in a bag story, also a classic.

The/some Seth commercial clips also linked here: https://www.reddit.com/r/uhhyeahdude/comments/ebj0du/seths_commercial_reel/

Pretty sure I remember seeing a video of that Georgia Pacific ad going straight into live coverage of 9/11 but I cannot find it now...

Ha! That was me posting them all. Had to share them to the people who want to see them!

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

DrVenkman posted:

I think the wayback method is the only one really. There was another site that had replicated it to a degree but its gone now.

The wiki was great and I thought a few people might have come together by now to try and get a functioning site together again.

Yeah I was considering trying to start up a new wiki but it's a daunting task. The depth of Weck's is pretty incredible.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

On my podcast website (pocketcasts), it shows all the old eps but 1-120ish won't play, gotta go to the archives for them. The rest work though.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Judging by the way they're talking around my current eps (just broke 400), I'd be surprised if there was anything Jah wasn't doing haha.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

JethroMcB posted:

I think he admitted as much shortly after getting sober. I remember he said he'd bought a Switch and had seen more sunrises because of playing Breath of the Wild than he had on coke. (Also: "...I've been watching so much anime.")

Seth's Sexy Sativa

I love hearing about the gaming and anime journey of jah

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

JethroMcB posted:

Seth mentioned him a few times early in the show, usually in the context of a rant about being a jaded, sober guy pushing 40 while his tween half-brother was out there movin' and shakin' and having the whole world at his feet, but that was the same era that he'd regularly talk about his bitch ex-wife in Arizona and his black grandson, too. It was easy to lump him in with the rest of Seth's "family."

Yeah this was my feeling too, just another joke on the pile considering the dude is shockingly quiet about his personal life in any way shape or form.

I forget if it's Seth's half bro that Jah is good friends with? Or it's Jahs step brother that Seth is good friends with? There's more family connections there.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Magic Underwear posted:

I remember a story of him meeting a casting director or something, and the guy was desperately trying to figure out what "type" jah could play in a commercial. I think he landed on "hipster dad" or "alternadad" or something. Then I think he refused to shave his beard and that was it. Does anyone remember that?

\/\/\/ :lol:

Yes absolutely hahaha.

I only think he was divorced once? It was around 2011 because he was a very sad dude for a while.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Admiral Goodenough posted:

Idk if this is an invasive question, but what are they up to in their private lives now, I'm so out of the loop. Are they married, what do they work with, do they still live in LA? Are there any big events they might mention basically. I haven't listened for 8 years.

Seth is still pretty quiet about his life. Afaik, both have partners but neither have married (or re married in Jah's case). They still live in LA and not only that but Seth is in the same apartment. They make enough money from the show now to not have to work I think. Seth does it full time, Jah not sure.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Giga Gaia posted:

i think johnathan still works at future music but seemingly just because he likes to do it not because he needs to.

I kinda get this feeling about everything he has ever or will ever do haha

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Ep 449, Jah tells Seth about performing light dental surgery on himself. JFC the story is gross and only something Jah would do.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

zenguitarman posted:

Oh god, is that the pus story because I forgot about that one :barf:

Yeah, he just brushed it off like no big deal but I wanted to hurl just listening to it haha.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Vain posted:

Did Jonathan ever get his crazy custom guitar back? I remember them talking about tracking it down a while ago.

Last I heard was he struck a deal with the dude and it was going back to him. Can't remember anything about it past that though.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Beastie posted:

My brother was loving with Jah.

Haha I saw this on insta and let out a chuckle. So great to see it back in his possession.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Binowru posted:

Jonathan confirmed on a live Instagram stream today that Seth is moving. The next two episodes will be the last ones to be recorded at the Hobart studio.

whoaaaaaa no way

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

JethroMcB posted:

"A man is whatever room he is in"

RIPs

So weird seeing it like this! I wonder what their new spot is going to be like.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Wow yeah, I knew it was bad but that is rough. Gives a whole new meaning to the story where he semi ambushed beyonce and her security (justifiably) was very aware of his presence haha.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

I think it's the most "crazy fan" Seth has ever gotten as far as I am aware.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

MechaSeinfeld posted:

What do you mean? I’m still a fairly new listener so I’m unsure if I’ve missed something going backwards through the episodes. I remember there was an episode where jonathon straight up says a botched meeting may have been his fault but I don’t recall hearing why

It's also just...Jah as a person. The guy rules but I feel that way about him because of his non-committal laid back feelings about almost everything. The guy had all the privilege to leverage his music/UYD/pseudo fame into something that makes him a lot of money but never seems to be able to stick to things.

I don't know if that's him as a person, medical reasons, or what have you, but the laissez faire attitude is what makes his half of UYD so appealing to me, and if he was a go getter (UYD with two Seths), it wouldn't have the same charm. Likewise two Jah's would be boring while they tried to out cool each other, Seth's frantic drive has brought this show to a level that Jah could never have realized on his own.

I laughed really hard the other day at Jah's insta when he was saying the twitch stream was going to be the 7th, then it was delayed to the 8th, then it was delayed to the 9th, and maybe delayed once more? It didn't seem like there was a reason other than he decided to do other things and it just so perfectly is a Jah moment.

Also as far as content goes, Seth would never rescue a parrot from the middle of the road on superbowl sunday and then give it a viking burial at the beach. RIP parrot larroquette

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

TACD posted:

I think maybe the big thing they slept on was not keeping up with filming the episodes after they started at #100. There’s a lot of great visual interactions between them that show up in the few they did film or the newer ones and I think if they’d consistently filmed them from early on they’d have a much bigger YouTube presence (whether that’s good or bad 🤷🏻‍♂️)

Yeah, I got into UYD because of the "craigshouse" clips on youtube from whenever they were posted!

well why not posted:

A lot of podcasts take a little clip from each episode and release that on youtube. They're way more share-able than a one hour podcast. UYD could always be doing things in a more efficient way, but that's just not really how this podcast operates.

This exactly. Everything that makes it not a giant commercial success adds to the charm.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

I could never tell if those were ads or the boys just really liked cool ranch doritos or w.e haha, like Seth and his short lived love of yerba mate

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

well why not posted:

12k a month, pretty high but not not in the top tier of podcasts - #94 according to graphtreon. Probably totally livable if you're smart - some of the other high earning shows have larger casts or crew. We Hate Movies is 4 people, Chapo Trap House is 5 + Producer.

For some reason I have it in my head that Jah doesn't take as large of a cut as Seth because in his own words "I've been lucky to never have to really worry about money", but there's also Jeff (I think that's his name?) that films, and I'm not sure how many others?

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

well why not posted:

I guess Laroquette Sr. money is very good. It kinda sounded like Jah was thanking the patrons explicitly for Seth’s lifestyle in the recent ep. Seth does do a lot more research and likely needs the money more.

Yeah Jah might even just give it all to Seth.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

I think that's how things like this often work now? Pay $1 a month or more and get them asap or wait and get them when they're uploaded. Nothing wrong with the boys incentivizing their content so they can be supported to make it.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Ep. 580 - Seth at 1:20:00 ish, describes how he sent an 8x10 of him to a vegetarian restaurant to be hung on the wall, walks in to try and find it, probably gets seen, walks out immediately.

Jah calls him a has been nothing actor and laughs the entire time he tells the story.

A classic Seth moment.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Jah.jpg

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Ep 623 about 8 mins in Jah explains that Mom and Pops bought him a Nintendo Switch for Christmas with Breath of the Wild.

Seth immediately makes fun of him for being a bearded 8 year old

Jah: "I have seen the sunrise more times than when I was doing cocaine"

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

JethroMcB posted:

I forget, does this come before or after "...I've been watching so much anime."

After, he just had to explain to Seth the difference between subs or dubs and then makes an assumption as to what Seth would use.

"You'd definitely be dubs" hahaha

Claes Oldenburger fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 14, 2021

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

JethroMcB posted:

Pander to the UYD fans, do an episode where Seth guest stars as a guy claiming to be Dan Fielding's long-lost son from a one night stand when he was a young stud. It sets up a story where Dan has to reckon with his past behavior and take stock of how he's lived his life. End of the episode, it's revealed that Seth is just a con artist who was trying to extort him, Fielding breathes a sigh of relief. Cue Jonathan showing up looking like Jonathan and pulling the same "Dad...it's me, your son" routine, Papa Larroquette rolls his eyes and says "You gotta do better than that, pal, at least the other guy looked like me," laugh track, roll credits.

Yessssssss

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

Wow, so my wife and I went as UYD for halloween and Jonathan just posted it to his instagram hahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

JethroMcB posted:

That's great

The dog looks so concerned

hahaha she just always sort of looks like that.

zenguitarman posted:

loving nailed the Jonathan look too

Thanks yeah it kinda all just worked out, I'd made the gold tooth for another costume, pit vipers were the wife's, and the rest of the clothes were mine. All I was missing was hair haha