Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Yeah, this is definitely my favourite podcast as well, and I listen to an absolute load. Sharing everyone's fascination with the enigmatic Romatelli. My favourite bits of the show are usually when they get absolutely terrified by the present, then freak out even more about the future.

Anyone else start speaking a bit like them in real life? I always find myself using Seth's 'sound effects', like 'bowsch', or his his kind of whooshing one. Plus 'Nope!'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011

Biodome posted:

Or the story about how he met the girl of his dreams but she was insane and tried to stab him.

I'm definitely going to need an episode number for this

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Where's the best starting point for someone just starting? I've been through 1-10 before realising I won't be caught up for like 500 years at this rate.

Just to give a slightly different opinion, I would say it's probably worth keeping up to date with the current ones while listening through the old ones - while there are plenty of running jokes, most of the callbacks are to fairly recent episodes, so maybe start like 10/20 back.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011

niggerstink420 posted:

Got mentioned in this ep. No big deal. :smug:

Axl Rose!?

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011

Combaticus posted:

Where's Oliver? I need me ecstasy.

Being English, Seth and Jah having a go at the UK is pretty much my favourite thing ever, so I was loving this. Can anyone remember the episode (or approx.) where they go on an extended rant about the UK, the shittiness of the north and how everyone wears tracksuits? Favourite bit of this episode was how ashamed Seth was when he admitted to buying Beach Boys tickets and how disappointed, yet understanding, Jonathan sounded.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
I was hesitant to start from 1 as well, but once you're a few in you'll be upset there's only 300 left. I'd say that episode 1 is a bit lacklustre and the next couple are just good, but if you stick through once you get to like 4/5 they're exactly the same as now.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011

Labored Wooting posted:

New epi is up. Nice to know that the recent delays were only because of Jonathan's trip to Watamala.

Yeah, while I'm sure Jonathan feels burnt out every now and again (and you can sometimes tell), I do think some people on this thread (and the UYD forums) were being a bit hasty in assuming he'd lost his phone on purpose and that this was connected to the week off.

Agh, I feel like this post is kind of negative, didn't mean to be a depressed Dad.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011

a starwar betamax posted:

So did I go crazy or something or was there no episode last week?? Are the boys taking a week off?

There was one, you must have had a cray-cray week

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
New episode is finally up (in the event anyone is checking this thread for that reason).

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011

Marvin_Gardens posted:

Does anybody know what Seth got his degree in? I imagine it was Literature or Creative Writing or Education.

Communications I think. But he always points out that it was before the internet.

Somewhat relatedly, one thing that often strikes me about the show is how good Seth's story-telling skills are, both in writing (although not sure how pre-prepared all that stuff is) and speaking. Whenever he does an obituary or tells a story about something like a baseball match, it's always (to me at least) totally interesting and really clear, which is actually really hard to do.

GraPar fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jul 30, 2012

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Seth's girlfriend is referenced in the new episode, pretty sure that's the first time she's been mentioned on the podcast?

GraPar fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Aug 16, 2012

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
While I love the other stuff usually in the show - the guys talking about their lives and poo poo - definitely wouldn't mind occasionally getting some more like this week's: just a barrage of crazy people doing crazy things.

GraPar fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 24, 2012

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
These are two guys who live in Hollywood and have a pretty sizeable legion of adoring fans in front of whom they semi-regularly perform sold out shows across the country. Their lives ain't too shabby.

GraPar fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Oct 9, 2012

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
I think there's a really steep rise in quality and confidence right at the start - only like the first 5 are noticably rough, then even by around 10 it's hit a pretty full stride. But yeah, you get so much more by listening to it through, once you get a bit in you'll be be worrying how few are left to listen to.

(also, a quote that rarely comes up but always makes me laugh is Seth screaming "IS THIS A KOREAN THING!?")

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
He talks about considering 'going full-on written notes' at other places he goes to as well (I think Blockbusters specifically), so I'm going to say that the vegan restaurant probably isn't the only place that he's ever pulled this at.

Some good stuff in this week's, always enjoy Seth's rants about sobriety

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
I assume that everyone is in the Facebook group so has seen this but if not:

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011

Bolek posted:

Have they ever addressed why they haven't made any more videos? I've seen the ones from Seth's place and they're pretty great, especially the Parenting one. Some podcasts you don't want to see because it's just two guys sitting around talking but Seth is so animated it really adds to the funny.

There's a few mentions in the episodes after they stopped doing them - basically it sounds like they didn't particularly enjoy doing them and felt like having all the extra people, cameras etc. took something away from the podcast (although actually, by 'they', it's suggested that Seth was more against it than Jonathan)

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Agreed that everyone should start from episode 1, but there's no reason not to listen to the new ones as they come out - then after every news event you get to wonder what UYD is going to say about it next week.

Very funny (as always) this week - always cracks me up when Seth expresses his anguish over his beloved Cowboys.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
That Lucan thing is (to me, anyway) easily one of the most bizarre stories they've ever had on the show. Just so many weird, inexplicable aspects to it.

And apparently Maron mentions that on this podcast, but Jonah Ray annoys me so I can't confirm.

edit: Skipped through and it starts around 28:30 - nothing that interesting but they're definitely going to be on the show, which is awesome.

GraPar fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Feb 21, 2013

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
We should all remember that Seth's current TV used to belong to Tobey Maguire (probably)

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011

Otaku Alpha Male posted:

Ok, you need to help me out here. At first, I listened to the newest episodes, but soon I startet at episode 1 and I worked my way up to episode 154. But from what I read in this thread, Jonathan recently moved/ wants to move (to NY?) and people get the impression, that he doesn't care about UYD as much as he used to? I'm still 200 episodes behind, but I need to know what's going on right now. Anyone care to elaborate?

The New York thing is a joke based on something Jonathan said once. More generally he does seem to go up and down in terms of how much enjoys doing the show but has never seriously seemed like he wanted to stop doing it. This thread just tends to get a panicky when he shows anything other than 100% dedication to the show - although nowhere near as badly at it did in its early days thankfully.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011

CaptainRat posted:

Jonathan's story on ep 39 about humpin' to bodybuilders made me laugh the hardest I have ever laughed at a podcast at work.

Weirdly, this was the first thing I thought of when Jonathan was talking in the newest episode about how he used to JO to 'Gorgeous Ladies Of Wrestling'. Seth particularly intense and great this episode, I thank the new TV.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Episode 171 is a notable episode and great extended Seth freak-out that I don't think has been mentioned in this thread yet - it's when Jonathan tells Seth that he's stopped being vegetarian.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011

A Violence Gang posted:

Don't know if it was just me but iTunes somehow served me Ep 335 labeled as this week's 364. When they mentioned Mos Def becoming Yasim Bey I was suspicious cause that's old news, and then Jonathan talked about being late for Seth's girlfriend's party, which I knew I'd heard before. So if that's the episode you heard, redownload it cause you still have new UYD in the pipe.

This happened to me too, was having some weird UYDeja-Vu, then when Jonathan said he'd never heard YOLO I knew it couldn't be recent.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
At ~17 minutes into this episode, when they're talking about weed killing your dreams does Seth say "That's what they tell me in the biz"? That would kinda confirm him working at a dispensary. Apologies if I'm just totally hearing it wrong/projecting.

Very funny episode though, was cracking up hard at them talking about Braco and Jonathan's dreams

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Whenever someone talks about Jonathan being dumb I always think about in episode 39 where they talk about how Saturn leaves you when you're 29 then returns at 32 and if you've learnt too much it kills you, so Jonathan decides to learn as little as possible to save himself from it.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011

dvorak posted:

I love how Seth always points out Active Shooter Situations, and likes to point out the acronym rear end. It's cracked me up every time. His "taking it down to brass tacks, nuts and bolts", and "living, laughing, loving, in Los Angeles" things always get me.

"The sexual politics between man and wo-man"

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Wait, was it well known that Jonathan had got married again? I knew he was in a serious relationship but had no idea.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Haha, yesss, love it when they do baby names. Also the return of the very occasional recurring feature 'foods that will be unavailable due to bad weather'.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
"A Senegalese cab driver and two loving wop cops delivered me, look at my energy!"

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Hearing Jonathan say that really did make me realise how long a time period of their lives I've actually listened to them over - i.e. for many years that formed the basis for a significant number of his stories and now he's gotten over it.

Random question: does anyone else think the title of the thread should be changed at some point? The current one is great, but since we're on 100 pages and already have a large stock of potential titles...

GraPar fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jul 2, 2013

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Redundant to say, but some particularly funny moments this week, particularly their discussion of the Under The Sun tour and Seth's Emmy acceptance speech. Also, pretty sure that if I ever got a time machine my new first destination would be to go and watch/be in Seth's one act play, has to have been incredible.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
'A Terror Management Approach To Humour Production' is actually a pretty spot-on description of UYD.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Thanks in advance for Youtubing it: that was my old flatmate's favourite UYD clip and he'd just play it all the time, was never not hilarious. "*C-Noooooteee*"

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Other great bit in 381 was Seth's impression of the podcast: "Jonathan, did you hear about this study where this dude did another dude...???'

GraPar fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jul 20, 2013

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Original recipe UYD is back! Shocked Jonathan resisted the urge to become an Icelandic hill gypsy.

E: Haha, so loving stoked about the return of kid cop.

GraPar fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Aug 16, 2013

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Yeah, Seth doing people's reactions to bisexuals was a classic bit. Loved the longer episode too.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Haha, whoops, bad choice of words. Does remind me of when they're describing the fleshlight as having 'neeps, gabs and gorps' though, what loving episode is that?

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Both the episodes since the mini-break have been fantastic. Love the Playboy Advisor creep this week. So sweet how excited Seth is about Dallas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
I find their long-running obsession with/disdain for Avatar so, so funny. Must come up a few dozen times between like 100 and 200, highlight probably in 203 when Seth reads out topics from the Avatar forums such as “To what extent would you go to steal Neytiri from Jake?”.