Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

widunder
May 2, 2002

Snood posted:

Protip about this podcast one of the best episodes is episode 206 where Seth's mom Marcia guest co-hosts.
Yeah, the greatest modern day (relative to me getting into the show at around 110-120) would be Seth's mom co-hosting. It's really, really funny and charming.

How about some old timey UYD (sometimes one-off) segments that you miss? Real hobo or Seth hobo, real/fake Grateful Dead song and Who's *something* *something*, Jonathan's book review of A Clockwork Orange ("Hey, Jon, man. Great work. It's almost ready for your portfolio. First off, gotta read the book. Secondly, gotta read the book."). I specifically remember the segment that really got me hooked (other than the Craigslist readings obviously) being Whooooooooooooo am I?

widunder fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Sep 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widunder
May 2, 2002

soru posted:

Is Amir ever actually on the show? I've listened to like 200-present and then 1-130ish and he's been doing Whooo Am I but then stopped so I guess it fell through.
Have a listen to the latest live show.

Relistening to the Seth's mom episode. She has the thickest accent ever. It's funny because sometimes, once in a while, Seth's accent sneaks out (specifically during a Craigslist reading where he shouts "IT'S SHAKESPEAAH").

widunder
May 2, 2002
unless he's gotten one within the last few years, i think it's safe to assume that neither of them are parents considering their fight in episode 89. as often as Jonathan is wrong about dumb things, "i think it's because you're an east coast catholic" was pretty funny and on point

widunder
May 2, 2002

Asnorban posted:

I have a hard time listening to that fight. Jah sounded legit raged.
It's really odd because it has never happened before or since then. However, it's a pretty great discussion had Jonathan gotten so drat mad about the whole dog thing.

widunder
May 2, 2002

Drewsky posted:

You fuckin with me dog?
It's the intro of episode 102.
E: Seth bugging out about it in 103 is funnier. "Richard. I call him Richard."

widunder
May 2, 2002

DrVenkman posted:

The best thing about Ricky Gervais calling in is the week after when Jonathan is angry that no one mentioned it on their message boards. He clearly thought the boards were going to blow up and then it literally got like one mention.

An odd connection, a friend they mention who's filming the show for them was Gervais' co-writer on 'This Side Of The Truth', so I'll assume that's how he's heard the show.
That movie title was changed to The invention of lying and I think they know Matt Robinson one way or the other.

widunder
May 2, 2002

JethroMcB posted:

Anybody interested in giving the show a shot should probably just listen to the range of 120-129, which is the span where most of the YouTube videos are pulled from. For whatever reason I think those are some of the easiest episodes for first-time listeners to get into. Those have so many strong rants and raves, a couple stand out stories like Jah's "You would look a rasta in the eye" confession, a wicked strong series of Craigslist readings and some other great pieces. If you like those, the show is like that pretty much all the time.

I am not into games or drama.
Yeah, I think so too. I've gotten people into to the show based on the video clips.

"Wildcats delusion. You think you're Wesley Snipes or Woody Harrelson from Wildcats, but you're not. You're Forrest Whitaker, also in Wildcats".

E: "But one was wicked tall, the other one was kind of in a wheelchair! Schhhhhhhhhhh I have fergoli!"

widunder
May 2, 2002

fuf posted:

This is my favourite podcast and I listen to it all the time, but does anyone else sometimes get sick of how loving dumb Jonathan is?

He can be just as funny as Seth, but whenever he gets super serious and starts trying to diagnose the ills of society I get kind of annoyed. He never really formulates his thoughts properly and his insights aren't as insightful as he thinks they are. Sometimes you can tell that Seth is getting bored or annoyed and just waiting for a chance to move on to his next thing.

Also I really don't know why Jonathan keeps reading out 'Scientists have discovered...' stories recently because he never understands them and it's frustrating listening to him struggle through a really slow, mistaken explanation.

drat that sounds harsh. I still love Jonathan, but Seth is the reason I listen.
I don't know, I don't think Jonathan is particularly unintelligent, he just has a tendency to go off on dumb tangents sometimes. He can be pretty pretentious, but as far as his insights go, I think they're usually fairly well-grounded if you compare him (and Seth for that matter) to basically every other comedy podcast out there.

widunder
May 2, 2002

SammyWhereAreYou posted:

I always wonder about the voicemails. Being two very charismatic, not-bad-looking guys, they must get some creepy messages from female fans.

Edit: I remember, for instance, at one point Jonathan had to ask women to stop sending him tit pics.
They also got ball pics.

widunder
May 2, 2002
Relistened to episode 97 yesterday. The bit at around the 26 minute mark about grifters is the greatest.

widunder
May 2, 2002

got your nose! posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uhh_yeah_dude

Jonathan Larroquette is the son of actor John Larroquette.[4] He was formerly part of a musical duo called "Jogger" with his friend Amir Yaghmai.[5] He was found dead in motel only a half mile from his home in Los Angeles. The initial coroner report stated alcohol poisoning as his cause of death. He had recently had his identity stolen which led to his relapse into alcoholism.

Soooo uh that's not true right?
It might be a call back to when Seth gave Jonathan poo poo for going on and on about his identity theft, specifically, when Jonathan accidentally called Seth up while he was chatting up a girl. "Talking about his identity theft, doing Uhh Yeah Dude in real life".

widunder
May 2, 2002

JethroMcB posted:

"Y'know sometimes it's just better to just NEVER EVER leave your own reality EVER once NEVER sixandahalfyears and just look at life the way it is, and never ever escape to a dreamscape of peace and happiness."

Stay strong, Seth.
This is probably my favorite Seth going crazy moment.

widunder
May 2, 2002

Drewsky posted:

That's really it? Holy poo poo.
It's the legendary Mouth Dance!

widunder
May 2, 2002

REY DE LA PLAYA posted:

I've also begun asserting that any negative or confusing experiences I have give me straight up panic attacks. I cannot stop, nor will I ever want to.
Yeah, this, definitely.

widunder
May 2, 2002

Binowru posted:

Which episode is that from?
The end of 143 I think. I agree, I've been listening to UYD for almost four years now and as far as individual one-off "bits", it's easily my favorite piece of UYD improv ever. You can almost feel Jonathan almost dying.

widunder
May 2, 2002

big business sloth posted:

Also as people said there are running jokes literally arcing years over. I'm pretty sure Seth still talks about his adopted black grandchild Jeff (episode 88?)
Even way back, I listened to that episode today, 39 or like 40.

E: Also, To Catch A Predator, possibly the greatest UYD segment apart from Jahnathan's poetry, Whooo am I, Seth's diary and Craigslist.

widunder
May 2, 2002

Behold! A Elk! posted:

Man can I just like get a thing off my chest to some people who will at least get what I am talking about? No one even needs to respond to this I just need to let it out. I was reading all that stuff earlier in here about Jonathan and Seth saying slightly ignorant stuff occasionally and I totally was understanding of a lot of peoples points that basically were "These are funny people from LA of course they are going to occasionally say some stupid poo poo or be ignorant about something". I settled in the next night to episode 327 trying to relax before bed and Jonathan starts in with saying "tranny" and it really just ruined my whole night after that.

I realize that as a transwoman I'm not exactly an unbiased listener here but it just really sucked to here that kind of thing coming from someone who I at least respect even if I don't know him personally. I know this is way too serious and I promise I am not going to send an essay to anyone or do some other crazy poo poo I just wanted to type it out really.

Anyway have a nice night everyone.
Jesus people. I'm sad to hear that the show offended you but while Jonathan says some dumb things sometimes (although I've never been more annoyed than Seth's stance on the whole adoption thing) there's seemingly never, ever any malice behind anything "bigoted" they (and especially Jonathan) say. Being upset like that just leads me to believe that a show like this maybe isn't for you.

widunder
May 2, 2002
I've probably listened to the episode 1-170 range of this show at least 5-6 times on average for the last four years, and if I could find a single moment that never, ever fails to crack me up, it's this little segment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBzn9vSFrbk

You're Forrest Whitaker, also in Wildcats

widunder
May 2, 2002
22 minutes into the WTF episode and I already know more abouth Seth than 360+ hours of UYD.

e: assuming he's being honest, I guess he really works in a medical marijuana dispensary

widunder fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Apr 22, 2013

widunder
May 2, 2002

Eltoasto posted:

This is good so far! Marc's girlfriend obviously prepped him well, he is pushing Seth to talk. Jonathon is still doing 80% of the talking still of course, but it's not awkward at all.
It's *a lot* better than the JJGo episode. And Maron is running very low on Maronisms, it's great.

widunder
May 2, 2002

well why not posted:

I suspect (or 'know') that this is a direct reference to Joe Rogan Experience. His intro is 'meow noise', 'are we on?', 'hit it', 'quote', 'guitar riff', 'fade out', 'whats up you fuckers/dirty bitches/loving savages'. It's 100% sincere as well.
I'm pretty 'sure' that episode predates JRE's existence.

E: by two and a half years, even.

widunder
May 2, 2002

dvorak posted:

I called and left a message on the voicemail about something I saw on CBS News with Scott Pelley, since that seems like something that Seth would keep tabs on with the DVR.

There's this creepy, definitely chimo bible studies teacher at a christian middle school, who for the last 30 years has written a birthday letter to each of his 100+ students. Not only does he write a letter to them on their birthday, but he has written one to each of them FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES! He spends like 3 hours a night, hand writing 'birthday letters' and keeps tabs on all his students by popping in at all their social events without their knowledge.

A real fun dude, who you know is totally cloaking it. That dude had the most stereotypical creepy bachelor chimo boner-rage look on his face through the entire interview. "I love them, I love all my students."

I know a story like that would just drive Seth into a full pani, like it almost did to me. I know he is the last guy on earth who still writes real letters through the USPS to his loved ones, so I bet that would really drive him crazy.

Here's the clip: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_162-57581717/teachers-bond-with-students-lasts-long-after-graduation/
UYD fanfic, it finally happened.

widunder
May 2, 2002
Her voice brings out Seth's accent from time to time, it's fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widunder
May 2, 2002
Does anyone know of a working mirror for the Craigslist compilation?