Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

manyak posted:

Does anyone have a "greatest hits" episode list on hand? Going on a 50 hour drive across the country and im gonna spring it on my friends while they have no choice but to listen to UYD
There are the greatest hits highlight eps from This Year:
http://www.thisyearcollection.org/2013/01/47-uhh-yeah-dude-2012.html
http://www.thisyearcollection.org/2013/04/57-uhh-yeah-dude-2006.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
Hey, you guys complaining about the uploads: you should look into a piece of software called an 'aggregator'. Essentially, instead of having to manually visit every podcast's website every day to check for new episodes, you just enter the RSS feed address into this program, and it checks for new episodes for you, and downloads them automatically. I use one called iTunes, because it works nicely with Apple iPod MP3 players, but many other popular options exist, such as Juice, Mediamonkey, and Winamp, which apparently still exists 15 years after it stopped being decent.

WoG fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 23, 2013

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

bunky posted:

Congratulations! By the decision of a very scientific algorithm, you have proved that you are stupidest, yet most smug person on the something awful forums! I think it was the over-use of wikipedia links, but whatever, you suck a gently caress! Enjoy your reward!

Hey, thanks!

But seriously, let's all go on posting every time we don't see a new episode yet. It's simply fascinating, and so helpful!

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

bunky posted:

You're posting about people posting.
Oh, snap. Expertly played.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

bunky posted:

gently caress, now it makes sense.

Shut up nerd. Kick rocks.

Ha! Ha! Now we're all having fun with satire!

e: To those who've awoken to a dozen new posts and jumped to the reasonable conclusion that Jonathan moved to Mexico and canceled everything, our apologies.

WoG fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 23, 2013

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I used that quote as the subject line of an email I sent to my Kiwi friend last night. I got him into it, otherwise don't know anyone else who listens. Although I'm taking 5-6 dudes on a road trip the weekend after next and you better believe there's gonna be some UYD on tap. Who has the links to those "best of" compilations? I've got the Craigshouse one, at least.

http://www.thisyearcollection.org/

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
Just a heads up: John Larroquette was on Kevin Pollak's Chat Show this week, and speaks a bit about UYD & Jogger -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2E4HtZd9mI#t=1h5m20s

Sounds like Jogger's off recording another album, in Iceland, in Bjork's summer home.

Also sounds like Seth and Jonathan might have met at a thanksgiving dinner at John's house. Even with the amount of false backstory they like to spread, I've never questioned the video store thing. Seems ridiculous, now that I think about it.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Binowru posted:

Thanks, yeah I got a Firefox extension that helped me out. Right-clicking on the video just gives me this:

Right-click the links.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
:smuggo: If you'd ordered back when Jon's mom handled it, you wouldn't be in this situation.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

CherryDoom posted:

Oh poo poo. I wonder if I should make the 3 hour drive up there. I feel like they're bound to come to Austin eventually though. Also it sounds like the people who go to the live shows are kind of dicks?
3 hours?! Man, Austin has spoiled you. I've driven much further than that for worse shows, and flew (ok, a $50, 1 hr flight) to see their first NY show.

On the other hand...

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Uhh Yeah Cruise is still the best idea for a UYD show :colbert:
...I can think of nothing worse than being trapped on a boat with uyd fans intense enough to have paid for a cruise.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

GraPar posted:

I eagerly await UYD becoming America's #1 Prisoncast

"you get a Whatchamacallit, I'm out rollin' around in a Tesla"

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
That is insane, in a year. I love UYD, but there are other shows in the world...

I'm a little ways into a second run-through. I started listening around 110-115, caught up with the backlog then (within a couple months), and have only kept up. Maybe a year ago, I started dumping chunks of the back catalog onto my running ipod, but it tends to be third choice behind audiobooks or new podcasts, so I'm only into the late 60s.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

It's staged, you lunatic

It's impossible to make a joke that somebody doesn't take it seriously, no matter how obvious, nor how savvy an audience you think you have.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
Yeah, S.B.'72-'79, they passed it.

They're harving you.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

roach cum puddle posted:

Explain how calling someone "a real piece of poo poo" and "a blend of super angry and retarded" is chill?
The only thing that can make any internet argument worse is going down the 'you're taking this too seriously' rabbit hole. Stop.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

TACD posted:

Don't suppose anybody has episodes 1-159 packaged up into a zip or torrent for easy downloading? I fully accept I'm just being kinda lazy about this but I don't wanna click 159 times today.
I have them archived, as I'm sure others do, but we've probably all edited the tags, ruining any possibility of seeding. I could upload them (fairly quickly) tomorrow, but the archive size might make hosting tricky. I'll check them tonight, if nobody else has it covered by then.

nw posted:

I didn't expect to hear Mac Demarco as the intro track :canada:

Acuvue contahcts
I wish Jonathan would do a weekly music mix podcast, too. I pick up so many drat recommendations from his in/outros.

WoG fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 9, 2013

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
UYD episodes 1-159 (9.56GB zip). (I know, Mega's kind of janky, but dropbox has a bandwidth limit, and other options for a 10 gig file are limited. If one of you has an unmetered server, go ahead and rehost, or pm me an ftp login.)

WoG fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 10, 2013

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

sum posted:

Is there any place to get pre-160 episodes where all of the metadata is all there? I'd like to have them all under the same podcast tab with all of their descriptions intact, but even the ones hosted on uhhyeahdude.com aren't complete, and I'm getting pretty frustrated.

The zip I linked earlier? I forget if I cleaned up any of the tags, but it meshes fine with the live feed in iTunes for me, and the descriptions are definitely there

e:

WoG fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 30, 2013

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

GraPar posted:

The RSS feed is always first to get the episodes btw, if people don't know (usually a little before iTunes)

Careful now. People in here hate it when you point out how podcasts work, and that they don't need to post in / check / pin this thread for new eps.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

The Lucas posted:

any way someone could upload the first 159 episodes to their personal site or mediafire or w/e. would love to listen to them again but they are gone from the site :bape:

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

GraPar posted:

So happy they revisited David Walton's insane career, I've been obsessed with him ever since the last time they talked about it. Also his new show is about to be cancelled very soon, probably in 6 episodes or fewer.
Not that I'd bet on anything, but About a Boy's at least getting some strong advertising, and they're not burning off 6 eps in 3 weeks like they did with Bent, so it's hardly dead in the water.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Trevor Weedheart posted:

It's not working either :( I downloaded it and I can still only scroll down to 203. I even got the paid version. gently caress.

Podkicker is just a feed reader -- what episodes show up depends entirely on what rss feed it's checking.

BIG CITY LAWYER posted:

That's really weird. I've been working my way through their backlog and relistening to old episodes for the past few months and I'm in the 80s now. I tested it just now and was able to download #1 no problem.

Can you look at what feed address that subscription uses?

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

peter banana posted:

I hope that one day a trip to Toronto will be Seth's first emergence from American America.

Jah has friends here, right? Dare to dream.

I know Jogger played there a few years ago, on tour w/ daedalus and shlohmo (I'm disappointed I couldn't make it). It was an interesting point raised, though -- I wonder if a drug arrest does throw a wrench into that idea.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Binowru posted:

423 is maybe my favorite live episode yet.

There's no question that they're getting more and more comfortable in a live setting with each show. I'm not disappointed to see a live ep pop up in the feed any more.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
You could email Jonathan, too -- does he still announce uyd at me.com at the end?

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Shadow Puppet Of posted:

I would lose all composure as soon as he started reading the names off the weed menu to me.

You order sight unseen, and either get weed, a horse, or nothing. Final sale, no returns.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

goldblums eyes posted:

What were things they would do? I hear people mention they were creepy in this thread but never have seen an example.

It was basically a pile of people trying to be Seth, except they weren't funny, there was no Jonathan to balance them, and there were no topic cards for them to discuss.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

something clever posted:

How does this work I want to load some of the older episodes on an iphone for a long road trip from Omaha to Austin? Any podcast app recommendations? Usually I just use the standard apple podcast app for newer episodes, but after they trimmed the list I am unsure how to get these on my phone.
You actually can manually enter a feed address in the podcasts app. From the main screen ('My Podcasts' tab), pull down to expose the search bar, type (or paste) the full url there, and click search. It should confirm and subscribe.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Caper posted:

I'm sorry the pancake question in this episode confuses me. If you have 3 pancakes, 1 burnt on both sides, 1 burnt on just 1 side and the other perfect on both sides then if you pull a random one out of the fridge and it's not burnt then isn't there a 50/50 chance that it's not burnt on the other side? Because the third pancake is burnt on both, so its out of the question. I'm lost.
There may be 2 possible pancakes, but the fact that one is burned on both sides means they're not 50/50. The math is similar to the Monty Hall Problem -- it seems counter-intuitive, but it checks out.

Look at it this way: Between 3 pancakes, there are 6 sides one could look at, and all 6 are equally likely. 3 are burned, 3 unburned, so if you see unburned, you know it could be any of those 3, again each equally likely.

The question is then what's on the other side. In one of the 3 cases, it's the burned side of the half-and-half pancake. In the other 2, it's the opposite side of the perfect cake.

The tricky part is that extra piece of information. If you said "Pull a random pancake with your eyes closed; what are the odds the bottom is unburned?", the odds would be 50%. Adding the information 'the top is unburned' after the fact doesn't seem like it should change the odds after the fact, but it does. Learning "the top is unburned" doesn't throw away 1 of the 3 pancakes, it throws away 3 of the 6 faces.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Willeh posted:

Hey aubrey plaza, are you loving
ok?

Hot off the press: Lifetime makes lovely movies, and Aubrey got a nice paycheck for one day in a booth. This thread celebrates a once-aspiring commercial actor. Seth was in the Britney Spears movie, for gently caress's sake. "Selling out" isn't a real life thing.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

goldblums eyes posted:

I think it's more "Aubrey Plaza is voicing A MEME MOVIE", more than "Aubrey Plaza is selling out".

...so Lifetime's making 'a meme movie'. And a bunch of jaded, twenty-something-with-disposable-income goons are talking about a goddamned lifetime movie. Guess which development execs just earned their bonuses?

Point is, who cares? It'll be a lame movie. I won't watch it. Some people will. Everyone wins.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

goldblums eyes posted:

I'm glad you worked out your opinion on a lifetime movie that little kids will enjoy.

I'm glad you enjoy posting things on the internet.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

DannyTanner posted:

Speaking of eppies, 443 is out.
There was a broken, 8 minute version of this posted for a bit. The proper version's up now, but subscribers should see if they need to delete and re-download.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Dimebags Brain posted:

What episode has the playboy adviser where the parents are banging their son's fiance?

http://uhhyeahdude.com/index.php/wiki/Episode_324/
21:53 [e: actually 26:45] – A woman writes into The Playboy Adviser: .... “Last year a beautiful young lady moved in across the street from me and my wife. It did not take long to get this woman into our bed and for the past 10 months we have invited her over nearly every weekend. A few months ago our son happened to take a job in the same building where our friend works and they started dating. As their relationship got more serious we stopped playing. Our son doesn’t know his mom is bi, nor that we are swingers and that we have been screwing his girlfriend and possible future wife. How do we handle this?”

WoG fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jan 12, 2015

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Borrowed Ladder posted:

I just want to confirm since I'm not a Star Wars fan, but it was always called Episode 4: A New Hope right? I think i remember that from my youth.
No, that was added after Empire came out, but it's quite a blind spot for Jonathan to have never heard that before.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

something clever posted:

I am heading to Denver for the show with a UYD virgin. 9 hour road trip, leaving on Thursday morning. What would be the best 10 episode stretch to get my friend immersed?

I love this show, but after 9 uninterrupted hours, I'd be pretty loving sick of them. Perhaps just some highlight clips ripped from YouTube, and one or two episodes at most?

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
Whatever side you're on, at least we can all agree that this is a fun and productive debate.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

goldblums eyes posted:

I imagine him being around that many unwashed/smelly people would cause some sort of anxiety.
I don't know, he's doing better lately with the UYD live shows.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Do they really need $5000 each to become "self employed"?

I mean, more power to them, but they're already at a level where they could both easily be self-employed.
You want to live in LA, pay your own benefits/taxes, and cover the hosting expense of a popular podcast, all for 36K? Have fun with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Dark Weasel posted:

Excuse me @Ep 466 86:35 burning question does Seth have a wife now

Yes, and he's also an adjunct professor in his mid-60s. Nothing about that hypothetical situation was false.