Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
This is my favourite podcast and I listen to it all the time, but does anyone else sometimes get sick of how loving dumb Jonathan is?

He can be just as funny as Seth, but whenever he gets super serious and starts trying to diagnose the ills of society I get kind of annoyed. He never really formulates his thoughts properly and his insights aren't as insightful as he thinks they are. Sometimes you can tell that Seth is getting bored or annoyed and just waiting for a chance to move on to his next thing.

Also I really don't know why Jonathan keeps reading out 'Scientists have discovered...' stories recently because he never understands them and it's frustrating listening to him struggle through a really slow, mistaken explanation.

drat that sounds harsh. I still love Jonathan, but Seth is the reason I listen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Yeah, 'loving dumb' was a bit strong. 'Unable to organise his thoughts' is spot on though.

I don't have a problem with anything he says, just with how long he takes to say it. Like sometimes he really struggles to even string a sentence together, and it interrupts the quick back-and-forth between him and Seth.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Sometimes when someone doubts something I've said I say "trust on it". I always thought I got that from UYD but now I'm not so sure. confirm / deny?

Does anyone have a go-to bit if they're trying to show people how funny UYD is? I've had great success playing the 'Wind' youtube clip, but then it's hard to know where to go from there if people want to hear more.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I feel like they say wanky wanky after something pretentious, like when they read out some silly marketing blurb, rather than when it's sexually suggestive.

I thought it meant wanky in the same way as British people use wanky to mean pretentious or whatever. I didn't think it was meant to be wink wink.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Can we have some more "if you like uyd then you might like..." podcast recommendations?

I listened to quite a few episodes of You Look Nice Today, and they seem like great guys and everything but they're just nowhere near as funny as Seth.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
They're just not very intelligent people. They have silly beliefs and they're bad at critical thinking and the show's a lot easier to listen to when you realise that.

They're still funny, but often what's funny is their failure to understand simple things. There was an episode recently where they were talking about some new healthy drink or supplement or something, and they were reading the ridiculous claims from the advertising blurb as if it was just straight-up fact. There was no critical perspective at all, and it was hilarious.

It's hard to blame them for saying insensitive things when they are obviously so naive. I've gotten used to it but the only thing I'm really sensitive to as a non-American is the stuff they say about the rest of the world and about other religions. I've stopped recommending the show to friends because a few times when I've picked a random clip to show someone it'll be Seth saying "Hey MUSLIMS, stop PRAYING in airports" or casual jokes about everyone in Africa living in mud huts or something. It's uncomfortable and very off-putting if you're not familiar with them.

edit: forgot the reason I came to this thread. Is there a youtube clip of the story about Seth going to a certain restaurant and only communicating through notes? Alternatively what ep is it?

fuf fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jul 1, 2012

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Chemtrail Clem posted:

I agree with what you said actually, that Jonathan is ignorant but you can tell that its not coming from a hateful place. I was more referring to the other dingus who was saying how theyre very naive and "bad at critical thinking" as if thats a knock on a comedy podcast. Naive is the last word Id use to describe Seth (a guy who has had his dreams crushed and was a rock bottom alcoholic in LA of all places) and if you are that concerned about their Critical Thinking skills i cant imagine the panic attack you have listening to literally any comedian ever (UGH abbot and costello are so loving stupid!! How can anyone respect these ignorant fucks when they cant even use logical deduction to figure out that the guy on first base is named Who)

I guess maybe you are right. I think when they talk about a science story, before they start making jokes Jonathan usually tries to sincerely explain what the science story is about. And pretty often he gets it wrong. Maybe that's part of his character and I'm missing the joke, and yeah he's kind of self-aware about it, but I always thought it was genuine.

That's what I had in mind when I said they were bad at critical thinking. It's not a knock on the comedy podcast, it's a knock on them as individuals (mostly Jonathan), which I thought might help explain why they say things that offend people.

And when I called them naive I was mostly thinking of the stuff they say about the rest of the world. But you're right that naive was the wrong word. I guess I just meant "kind of uninformed".

quote:

if you are that concerned about their Critical Thinking skills i cant imagine the panic attack you have listening to literally any comedian ever

haha, well most comedians are fine, but yeah this is exactly why I can never listen to Joe Rogan.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Good job guys, you managed to add controversy to UYD. I loving hate it

CortezFantastic posted:

No, it's because literally everything has already been covered, so anything more on this specific topic is just repeating the same things.

It really bums me out when people try to crush interesting discussions in this way.

I think this is a much more interesting topic than most of the stuff in this thread, which really is just repeating the same things (there was a gas leak, you should start at episode 1, I left a voicemail).

No one was upset, no one was being a dick, I don't even think anyone was particularly offended. It's just something interesting to talk about.

It's a thread for people who listen to hours and hours of two guys talking, so of course people are going to talk about what they are like as individuals. It's ok to analyse things you enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I love Seth with all my heart but I pretty much gave up on UYD because Jah is so goddamn stupid that it became unbearable haha. He's just a lovely person with lovely opinions about absolutely everything.

I think it's important this thread acknowledges that every couple of years.