Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:

habanero walrus posted:

I don't think I can recall him ever saying this, but there are a lot of episodes so I guess it's possible.

I'm going through a second run-through of all the episodes (I'm up to 191) and a few weeks after Jonathan first started giving out his cell, Seth started saying that he could be found in the book. This went on for a while though he doesn't say it anymore and hasn't for a long time.

And regarding doing a second run-through: I was surprised to learn that some people re-listen to the show from the beginning once they've caught up. The thought of listening to close to 300 hours of something the first time around is a bit daunting, but doing it twice?

However, the show's so addictive and most other podcasts are so lacking in comparison, that I had no choice. I'm glad I did because 1) there's no way a person could remember every single conversation that's ever taken place on the show 2) it's not like you can't laugh at the same thing twice and 3) I've been laid off for a while (due to these oh so tough economic times) and I have a lot of free time on my hands.

No way am I doing a third run-through though, so I'm going to have to go back to trying to convince myself that The Complete Guide to Everything and My Brother, My Brother and Me are satisfying alternatives to UYD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

I always wonder about the voicemails. Being two very charismatic, not-bad-looking guys, they must get some creepy messages from female fans.

Edit: I remember, for instance, at one point Jonathan had to ask women to stop sending him tit pics.

HoAssHo fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Oct 11, 2011

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

If I'm horribly grossed out by this even though I know it's not real, I can't imagine how grossed out Seth must have been filming it.

http://www.55inch.com/seth_wout_bike.php

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Rudy Riot posted:

Jonathan just posted on Facebook that they uploaded a bunch of clips from a live show they did in Santa Monica in 2010.

http://www.youtube.com/uhhyeahdude

Thanks for this. I've always been bummed about their not posting video of the live shows since they did mention that they had been recorded.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

I thought he looked...good? If he was wearing his black frames,the look would've turned into aging-hipster (which would have been somewhat accurate).

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Drewsky posted:

How many listeners does Uhh Yeah Dude have?

I read some article that said they get about 50,000 downloads a week.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

(Going back for a second) There was an episode recently where Seth listed some cheap DIY solutions soldiers were using for common problems in Iraq. One of them was the tape around the bed thing. He was referencing that.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Gardias posted:

It's a very sincere car.

This makes my heart hurt.

Why is someone that funny, that broke?

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I checked out some of the video clips on Youtube and... to be honest, wasn't expecting them to be so good. I guess the normal audio-only format made me think they'd be kind of awkward or whatever, but seeing their facial expressions and body language just adds to the hilarity. Also, hadn't pictured Seth as a rockabilly.

Totally agree. I've watched all their videos on the Youtube channel a couple times now. Something about seeing their mannerisms and how they react to each other makes the actual audio podcast funnier because I can picture them reading postcards from Korean kids and Taco Bell reviews to each other. I know my husband really came around on the show once he saw some of the videos.

The Parenthood video is the best for Seth's storytelling.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

More than anything, I just can't believe that there's a strip club called Plan B.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

^15

It's probably Seth's best story.

I think that was the episode where I finally decided I was officially all in with this show.

I can't emphasize enough how much people who haven't listened to the old stuff are missing out.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

mcvey posted:

Anyone else planning on donating $30 for their 300th show? Figure it's the least I can do after hours of free entertainment.

I don't know, that $50 challenge coin thing left a bad taste in my mouth. I don't feel like giving them any money right now. If they come out with a new t-shirt I like, I'll buy one though.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

http://uhhyeahdude.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/1179/
http://uhhyeahdude.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/2990/

It was originally suggested by the forums. I don't think they meant it to be ironic. They are some weird sycophants over there - as evidenced by the fact that they bought 100 $50 coins. Some people bought multiple coins.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Yeah, actually I do get that and that we've gotten almost 300 hours of free entertainment. I just thought it was a ridiculous price.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

I'm not upset over it. I actually wasn't under the impression that it was something you get for donating but just sort of greedy mechandising. If I look at it from the former perspective though, that makes sense.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Nadine Hauklund posted:

It's like a PBS pledge drive where you get a tote bag and a Sesame Street compilation for your $100 donation. They aren't selling you a goddamned tote bag and CD for $100, they just want to give you something to hold on to, something that has their name on it so you can say (if asked) "I got this crazy thing when I donated to PBS."

I'd donate $50 if I could get one of those UYD Euro-style bumper stickers.

Sure, like I said, I get that now.

To be fair though, that's not even remotely the way it was presented. It was presented on Facebook in particular as "Get your exclusive UYD limited number collector's item for only $50."

The idea of donating and getting a little something in return was never expressed by the guys or the website in general. We've only come to this conclusion on our own.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

I've always said fresh and dope because I'm their age but they've got me saying wicked and bananas constantly. Also, I've been known to yell "hey, how's your _________?" at people on TV for various transgressions.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

I like MBMBAM a lot but I too had a hard time getting into it at first because I felt like they were ripping off UYD (I mean, they say "bone down," for God's sake - it's not even debatable whether or not they're fans) but I realized that they have their own thing going on and are really funny in their own way.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Oh, really? I had never heard that one before.

Regardless, they use too many of the same phrases for it to be a coincidence (actually, I was just listening to the two most recent episodes and noticed they seem to have dropped the UYDisms).

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

That's a young-looking girlfriend Seth's got there.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

a pipe smoking dog posted:

What? What are you talking about?

The Flickr link at the end of this post: http://uyd4l.tumblr.com/post/14411366028/jah-reads-about-the-germiest-of-all-the-tourist (which I apparently can't directly link to on this phone for some reason) has some photos of him posed with this girl as if they're a couple. They could just be good friends for all we know. It was simple conjecture on my part based on the photos and photo titles like "couples and bff's."

I don't really care either way, though. I was just sayin'.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

CharlesWillisMaddox posted:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nataliealia/6104075910/in/set-72157627571405988

It's like going to the mall and seeing your dad with a different, secret family.

Haha exactly.

We know that Jonathan has been married and is again in a serious relationship and he's told several sex stories, but Seth has never even hinted at having a ladyfriend.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

*PUNCH* posted:

Just listened to the Seattle episode. I was really impressed - I mean, these guys are pretty much the best podcasters, but I had no idea they had those kind of live chops. So good! I hope they make it to New York sometime soon.

How many episodes have you listened to? I'm just curious because they've done several live shows and the first was in Brooklyn.

I re-listened to that episode (188, I think) pretty recently and it's funny how much better they've gotten at doing live shows. They're a lot more relaxed now.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

I'm just comparing this episode to the first live one. I shouldn't say that they're relaxed now, but just that they're more relaxed than that first live. They're certainly better prepared.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

That's one of those bits that make me want to slap people who listen to the show backwards. I've seen a bunch of people on the Facebook page say that they've done this and claim that they had no problem understanding all the running jokes. How can that be true and why would anyone ever do such a thing? There's no way the show could be as good listening in reverse order.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

One of my favorite Seth Rants - and the one that probably got the biggest laughs out of my husband out of all the episodes I've shoved down his throat in the car - is the one about Neil Young and The Who in episode 24. "The 60's were like FIFTY YEARS AGO. Stop talking about the loving 60's!"

Another favorite is late in episode 136 where he gets so worked up talking about a then-recent Bud Light commercial touting the beverage's "drinkability" that he's nearly screaming "your beer is drinkable??? I SHOULD loving HOPE SO!" I'd consider this a good bit to show a friend if I was trying to get them into the show if only Sethro didn't somehow manage to turn it into a rant about McCain at the end. I'm not a fan of McCain either but they usually stay away from politics - like most comedy podcasts - and it's probably a wise choice.

Actually, think I'm gonna go give that one a re-re-listen now that I'm thinking about it.

HoAssHo fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 28, 2012

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

His daughter is fictional and lives in Phoenix with her mother, Seth's fictional bitch ex-wife who won't let him see her.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Seth definitely has a younger brother who is only around 10 years old. I think his name is Max. It sounds like his parents split up at some point and his dad had Seth's brother with his new wife or girlfriend or whatever.

CortezFantastic posted:

I loving offered to send him P90x 2 because they said he did the first one and he said it was all bullshit. Their troll game is too good. But then he wanted it anyway so maybe by the next live show Seth will just be a jacked sober warrior.

Could you really imagine Seth doing P90X? They make fun of that kind of poo poo all the time.

HoAssHo fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Feb 2, 2012

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

See but then he talks about his mom still being married to his dad.

The guy is a loving enigma.

Does he? Because I thought she said she lived alone. In one of the eps she's on, they joked about how she has like 6 TV's and she lives alone. I could be misremembering this point though. I'm totally convinced that his little brother exists though because he's talked about him a way that's distinctly different from when he talks about his fictional daughter and Jeff. It's like his drug and alcohol stories where you can tell he's serious.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

The only thing I can think of getting that kind of reaction is This Week in Florida.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Also, it bums me out how much he hates sci-fi. Not that I can't understand it.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

He mentioned having Homeland and, I think, Boardwalk Empire on his DVR but said that those are just "his shows" and not the kind he'd give as UYD TV picks. So, I guess he likes at least some dramas.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Song For The Deaf posted:

If I was smart, I'd download every UYD and burn them to a DVD. Same with stuff like You Look Nice Today. This stuff won't be online forever, and I want to always be able to listen to it.

That's right, I'm a podcast hoarder.

I still haven't checked out You Look Nice Today. Do you think it's something that might appeal to UYD listeners in general?

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

They both completely overreacted.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

I usually give the song like 30 seconds to see if it's something I might like and then fast forward if it's not. I'm not going to sit through 2-3 minutes of a annoying hip hop song.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

AltronHGX posted:

I just started listening to this from some recommendations a couple weeks ago in the comedy podcast megathread and jesus this show is amazing. I can't even explain at all what I like about it yet, but I can easilly see myself marathoning all 330 episodes throughout the rest of the year already. I tried to do that with Joe Rogan last year (babby's first podcast) but I got real burnt out around 50 deep- I don't see that happening with UYD.

I've been jumping back and forth between their most recent episodes from this month and last, to their very first episodes in 2006 and there is absolutely zero, ZERO shift in quality in either direction, they're always solid good. How is that possible? Also, how old were they when they started the show? They sound so different in the 2006 episodes, especially Jonathan.

Another weird thing I'll add is after listening to 10 or so episodes I was imagining Seth to look like a weird bizzaro Steven Buscemi :shobon:

I realize this is from like 4 days ago, but I want to strongly urge you to listen to the show in order from the beginning without skipping around. They refer back to a lot things and there's almost a sort of mythology that builds up around them as characters over time. You'll get a lot more out of it listening to it in order.

Oh, and go to their YouTube page and watch the clips from episodes in the 120's that they recorded in the studio. The show's more fun once you can picture their mannerisms as you listen. "Parenting" is my personal favorite.

HoAssHo fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jun 1, 2012

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

im a girl btw posted:

I just got into these guys a few days ago after stumbling across some craigs house bits on youtube and I really like it. Sucks that the old itunes downloads aren't working, I wanted to listen to the fight episode everyone was talking about.

So far I've listened to the most recent 5 episodes, now I've skipped back to 300 and I'm working my way up from there while I study. Starting from 1 was too daunting. I can't believe they've been doing it for so long for loving free, that's crazy.

I always tell people to start at 1 but I realize it's a daunting task. At least listen to 15, 24, 33 and 66 (those are some good early eps off the top of my head) and 101-130 is a particularly good run. 15 has the story of Seth meeting his soulmate and it might be the best story ever told on this show.

I still love the show but most people seem to agree that the earlier stuff was a bit better.

I got my tickets for Boston. Friday I'm seeing Sarah Silverman (who is one of my female comedy heroes) and Saturday I'm seeing my podcasting heroes. Gonna be the best weekend in forever.

HoAssHo fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jun 13, 2012

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

A bunch of drama about the tumblr fansite, UYD4L, is going down on the Facebook page (I'd post a link but my phone's not letting me; it's easy enough to find though) and one of the people who created that site wrote an essay about why she's no longer a fan of the show (here). I don't know how much truth there is to this since it's only one side of the story, and it certainly wouldn't keep me from listening to the show even if it was true, but I do agree that the official UYD forums can be kinda mean-spirited and cult-like (and annoying - everyone tries to talk like Seth and Jonathan). That's not Seth or Jonathan's fault, of course, but I'm glad that we have this thread to talk about the show rather than having to deal with those lovely forums.

HoAssHo fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jun 20, 2012

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

^^ Oh yeah, we all do it. It's impossible to not use UYDisms sometimes.

Al! posted:

God, podcast fans really are the fuckin worst. I'm not going to read a bunch of butthurt whining about how she was personally betrayed by the show so care to summarize?

The people who run the official site didn't like that they made a fanpage so they banned them from the UYD forums and spread rumors about them. Seth and Jonathan themselves supposedly talked poo poo about them too and, in an unrelated incident, Seth yelled at the one women on the phone and made her cry (which she was made fun of for on the forums). Also, they were assholes to one of her friends after a live show - which I have a hard time believing.

The only thing that makes this of note at all is that it's fairly hilarious how worked up they apparently are about this. They're on a mission to make it known that the guys aren't saints and that they are frauds who don't appreciate their fans. They're asking people to flood the voicemail inbox with complaints about their treatment of these women. As if anyone gives a poo poo. How the hell do you get this distraught over a comedy podcast??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Jeff Wiiver posted:

If I can convince a few of my friends to go with me, I'll be there. It's even on my birthday weekend.

There's no shame in doing things by yourself. I'd imagine quite a few people will be there by themselves because podcasts are generally a solitary activity and most people probably don't have a bunch of friends that share their love of the show. It's not like a concert. It would be silly to miss out on seeing them just because you have to sit alone. You're not going to be talking to your friends during the show anyway. (Sorry if I'm jumping to conclusions and misinterpreting your reasons.)

I'll be bringing my husband because, while he's never listened to the show on his own, I've forced him to listen to it enough times on car rides that he's familiar enough with it to be able to "get it" and enjoy the live show. I wouldn't even consider bringing someone who has never heard the show before.