Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Good job guys, you managed to add controversy to UYD. I loving hate it and I just want to hear them talk about Sexy Babies, stop holding them to any kind of loving standard. The show is about two cool dudes with a hilarious point of view and unique lives, tinged with the excess of life in LA. They're not public figures and what they do or think is not subject to any code of conduct. Stop making everything not fun.

Thirded. I'm sorry I ever brought up those blog and FB posts. I only pointed them out because I thought it was funny how upset they were over a comedy podcast. I didn't actually expect it to lead to people discussing how much they themselves get upset over a comedy podcast.

I can't find it in me to get upset about anything they say. They've said things (Jonathan, mostly) that have made me mildly sort of roll my eyes but, ultimately, I don't really care because, again, it's just a comedy podcast and anyway, the type of listeners they attract are probably not raging homophobes, misogynists and racists who will use their words as a rallying cry to begin with. And that woman claiming that Seth and Jonathan are kind of misogynists are forgetting the dozens, if not more, times they have talked about how awful men are and how much better women are. They've put women on a pedestal far more than they've put them down.

Even that was way more analysis than this show calls for.

Anyway, I think many of us can agree that the most offensive thing about the show is Seth's utter disdain for sci-fi. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

AltronHGX posted:

Oh poo poo I totally forgot about this. I was listening to recent stuff where he mentioned the Nik Wallenda walk till this thread advised me to start back from the beginning.

Think I'll break my backlog streak and listen to this. I definitely would have never even known about this walk until Seth's hilarious "On June 15th we are going to watch a man die on live television" rant.

What I did when I first listened was, while going through the back catalogue, I'd take a break to listen to the new episodes as they came out each week. It's fun because you get to see the contrast between new and old episodes and are able to hear them discuss events while they're still current.

Edit: I apologize for discouraging people from talking about their problems with the show. They have every right to do that. It's just that I felt kinda bad for inadvertently being the original poo poo-stirrer.

HoAssHo fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jul 4, 2012

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Ugh the line was so long that I just creepily stared at Seth from afar for like an hour rather than talk to him.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

It was indeed an impressive mane. The gray is working for him.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

I wonder how long Seth's rape shower lasted after touching all those people.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

I live in CT so it was only about a 2 hour drive. Not too bad.

At one point Marcia was up on the balcony, watching the signing table, and the crowd saw her and started screaming for her. She sort of waved and smiled sheepishly. It was kinda adorable. I kept thinking how weird it must be for her to have a bit of internet celebrity at this stage in her life. She probably never imagined a bunch of young people would be cheering for her at a rock club in her 60's.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Sunman posted:

I talked to the girl who was behind the signing table with the guys (I called her "intern Jennifer" but that clearly wasn't her name)

I don't know her name but that was Seth's girlfriend, by the way. I recognized her from the photos linked earlier in the thread.

(Of course, I feel kinda gross even mentioning it because of how private Seth is. If we were talking about Jonathon's girlfriend, it wouldn't be a big deal but I guess that the very fact that Seth is so weird about that stuff is what makes it vaguely notable. It naturally makes people more curious about someone's personal life when they're so conspicuously silent about it. For example, see all the speculation about what his job might be on their forums.)

Edit:

Cast No Engine posted:

Oh one thing that actually really stood out from the show was that Seth told the "LOL = Lots of Love" story saying that his grandmother did that because she just got a cellphone, but that joke is old as poo poo, and Scott Aukerman (I think, may have been the guest) definitely mentioned it on CBB within the past two or three episodes.

Not a big deal, but I thought it was really weird for him to use a joke like that masked as a personal story, I don't recall ever noticing either of them doing that before.

Yeah, that was Nick Offerman who said that on CBB. I was kinda shocked when Seth said it too.

HoAssHo fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jul 10, 2012

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

The not-talking-at-Leaf thing is explained in episode 4 of this other podcast they appeared on: http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-w-weekly/id159317945.

As others have already said, he was sick of his orders getting hosed up, so he started experimenting with giving written orders at various places (with good results). He had been doing it at that restaurant since it opened though, so when the thing with his schizophrenic soulmate happened, he couldn't just start talking for the first time because they thought he was mute. One time when he was in there his cell phone (back when he still had one) started to ring and the employees all looked at him to see what he would do. He just ignored it.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

soru posted:

It's crazy to me that people have so much trouble telling when they're joking.
I feel the same way. It's odd to me that there are people who still aren't sure whether or not Seth actually has a daughter (or two) and an ex-wife in Phoenix and who think that his much younger brother is fictional. Maybe it's because I've heard every episode twice, but I think it's usually pretty easy to seperate the fiction from the fact. The tone of his voice is much different when he's joking. He's told enough true stories (like when he talks about his past drinking and drug use) that you can compare how he talks about true things versus how he talks about stuff like having an adopted black grandson named Jeff.

I can see how, if you're somewhat new to the show, it could be confusing at times though. This is another reason it's worth listening from the beginning (besides the show being better in the past [not that it isn't still good]).

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

dvorak posted:

Yeah that was pretty amazing as a first time listener. I'm listening to all of them, but I typically go backwards when I catch up to podcasts. I'm up to 334 so far, and I'm already recommending it to everyone I know who listens to podcasts.
Don't listen backwards with this show. Listen in order because the early episodes are even better and there are lots of callbacks (though less so these days, I've noticed).

Every new listener is told this by several people. It should go in the OP.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

a starwar betamax posted:

So did we ever find out if that audition tape was a thing they made recently or years ago?

He doesn't look or dress like that anymore and he stopped auditioning a long time ago.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Having attended the Boston show, I can verify that seeing UYD live, in person, is a lot more fun than listening to UYD live, for sure.

I don't mind the live eps but the totally different vibe almost makes it a completely different show. In particular, I don't love how subdued Seth is and how Jonathan kind of (partly out of necessity) takes over the show.

When you're actually there watching it though, the energy is a lot like a concert. All the seemingly out-of-place hootin' and hollarin' suddenly makes sense because the excitement in the room is the same as when you go to see an indie band with a particularly enthusiastic (or rabid) fanbase.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Since this UYD episode of WTF will have two guests instead of the usual one, I doubt that Maron will try to dig too far into their deep dark pasts like he usually does. When he had Charlie Day and Glenn Howerton from Always Sunny on, they just talked about how the show came to be and the deepest it got when talking about their pasts was where they grew up, where they went to school, their theater backgrounds, and their deadhead phases in college. I don't think I've heard any other garage episodes with more than one person but I would assume that that's normally how they go because it's harder to get as intimate when it's two on one rather than one on one.

Obviously Seth is going to be one of those guests that won't give him much even if he does try to pry, so I'm not expecting it to be that kind of an interview either way. I doubt hardcore fans are going to learn anything new about either of them. If it was a one on one with Jonathan though, it would probably be one of the most open and honest WTFs ever.

And of course, Maron will be a passive agressive dick and try to find a way to put them down since he can't cope with the idea of anyone but him having even the slightest amount of success. That should be fun.

God, I hate Marc Maron.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Otaku Alpha Male posted:

Maybe I'm missing something here, but when does Seth claim to be vegan? Because in earlier episodes, he's mad in love with his toffifee. And in one episode, he teases j-dog with a twinkie.

In the beginning he was just a vegetarian but at some point he made the full transition. I can't point to a specific episode but Jonathan asked him something like "so, you're going the whole way now, huh?" when talking about Seth's eating habits. Since then he's talked multiple times about all the stuff he can't eat and he was definitely a lot more lax about it in the beginning. It's kinda ridiculous at this point.

HoAssHo fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 10, 2013

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

I'm positive Max is real. Seth doesn't talk about him like he talks about Jeff or his sexy tween daughters and bitch ex-wife in Phoenix.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Splits posted:

This will not be a popular opinion but I didn't want to hear Ja babble, and that seems like all it was.

No, I'm with you. I'm downloading it right now, but this makes me want to put off listening to it until later. Jonathan's tangents about nothing are pretty much the only thing that I'm not crazy about on UYD. They can be funny sometimes but more often than not I'm just like "spit it out!"

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

^^I really don't get why they have such terrible fans. People on their forums can be really lovely and unfriendly and it seems the opposite of the laid back nature of the show.

Anonymous Robot posted:

There were so many Jah lookin dudes at the Boston show.

Haha, yeah. One guy in particular who was walking around before the show was such a dead ringer I had to do a doubletake, thinking it was Jonathan. I overheard him and his friends laughing with Jonathan about the resemblance after the show. It must have felt like they were on Orphan Black.

HoAssHo fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 14, 2013

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

It's definitely a "guess you had to be there" type of situation with the live shows. It's really fun when you're actually there but it doesn't translate well as a recording. I hope that it doesn't discourage anyone from attending a live show because they assume it will suck like the recording.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Yeah, 66 is on my short list of absolute favorite episodes that I can name off the top of my head. Others are 15 (crazy woman at the restaurant where Seth doesn't talk story), 24 (Seth's rant about The Who, Neil Young and how the 60's were 50 loving years ago), 102 (Seth can't believe no one commented on the Ricky Gervais voicemail), 103 (Seth is getting old and he is decidedly unpleased about it) and 127 (too many classic bits to list but the pedo at McDonald's story is a high point of the show).

HoAssHo fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Aug 7, 2013

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Jippa posted:

It's so weird seeing them on video when I have spent hundreds of hours listening to them only.

Seth sort of has a teddy boy (not sure if that translates to american but GIS it) hair cut which is pretty funny. :)

Okay, you need to immediately get yourself to Youtube and watch all the videos they taped in the 120's. Start with the one called "Parenting."

Seth's visual delivery is quite a thing to behold.

Edit: looks like there are some in the OP.

HoAssHo fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Sep 15, 2013

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

Anonymous Robot posted:

Pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Also, people were just kinda mean-spirited and unnecessarily hostile there - in a way that didn't seem to really match with the tone of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

I've never really liked horse/weed/mind's eye, mostly for the reasons you stated (I mean, I don't hate it either, but it [or more accurately, Jonathon] can be a little annoying sometimes).

The best thing to come out of it though is when they read on air a chatlog of two fans mocking the segment. The guys were good-natured about it and able to laugh at themselves - despite being maybe a bit embarrassed - because they seemed to realize that they couldn't really argue with any of their points.