Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

pokeyman posted:

The first to join 5by5 (as opposed to launching thereon) then subsequently leave.

Probably not an important milestone, just couldn't think of any others.

Ah, well depending on your definition of "leave" there are two others I can think of that might count: The B&B Podcast and The Cocktail Napkin. Both started out independent, joined 5by5, and later ended. Neither show actually continued independently, but the guy who hosts it left and did a show for Mule which I think was very similar (though I haven't really listened to either so I could be wrong).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Diabolik900 posted:

Ah, well depending on your definition of "leave" there are two others I can think of that might count: The B&B Podcast and The Cocktail Napkin. Both started out independent, joined 5by5, and later ended. Neither show actually continued independently, but the guy who hosts it left and did a show for Mule which I think was very similar (though I haven't really listened to either so I could be wrong).

Podcast networks are so weird. Seems like every medium needs to go through that bizarre process of conglomeration early in its life.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
I saw this too, the incomparable is pretty great and they can stand alone I'm sure.

They've been making moves towards going it alone for a while now, and none of their new podcasts are part of 5by5, obviously.

Another thing I noticed during WWDC was that a bunch of podcasts used Jason Snell's Macworld studio to record while everyone was in SF. But not any of the regular 5by5 ones - Dan did a WWDC special but recorded elsewhere in SF.

Nothing concrete, but it could again signify a less than perfect relationship.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

My trick with the Incomparable is to only listen it at least one (preferably both) of the following rules apply:

1. I have read/watched/played what they're talking about

2. John Siracusa is involved. Seriously Siracusa is the best geek involved in podcasts.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Malloreon posted:

My trick with the Incomparable is to only listen it at least one (preferably both) of the following rules apply:

1. I have read/watched/played what they're talking about

2. John Siracusa is involved. Seriously Siracusa is the best geek involved in podcasts.

It can work too if you have an adjacent interest but haven't experienced exactly what they're talking about. Like you're familiar with the author but haven't read the book. Rule 2 has never let me down though.

As a corollary to rule 2 there are the occasional panelists (is that the term for a person on The Incomparable?) who are really unimpressive. Not enough to spoil an episode but it can help set appropriate expectations.

I could listen to the Star Wars prequel episodes over and over...

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I actually thought it was on its own network until Marco plugged it on the ATP recorded at Macworld, and Jason (who was in the studio) didn't say anything. Although I also wondered if he just didn't want to make a fuss, but I guess they're still there for now. I think with all the new stuff and the way things are going for them they easily could break off.

The Talk Show could be counted as the first to 'bounce off', except that's not really accurate, as they are sort of separate runs, and the first simply predates 5by5. TTS might be the first to go from one network to another and then go independent.

As for the Incomparable, it grew on me. I started out only picking episodes I cared about, and then went on to mostly listen to all of them. The episodes on things I don't care about are usually good for background noise while doing other things. Rarely I'll give up after listening for a while, and it can depend on the panelists. Siracusa is always good, but I think Serenity Caldwell is great; she speaks up and engages the others a bit more than Siracusa.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I like The Incomparable a lot, but I also don't listen very often because I don't bother with episodes about things I haven't seen/read/heard/ate/smelled/whatever.

The aforementioned Star Wars prequel episodes are great. I'm interested in their take on Episode III because it seems to generally be held in somewhat higher regard than the other two prequels, but I have a feeling some people on the panel don't think it's any better than the first two. I think there's potential for a lot more disagreement and debate than the other two prequel episodes.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
I listened to the latest incomparable today, the *ultra feminist special*, which was the one they were recording when they got bumped off the 5by5 live stream.

There was a special message at the end where Jason announced they're going to host their own live stream, chatroom etc from now on...

Clearly not confident that it won't happen again, and clearly not happy that 5by5 consider another show as more important.

Another step further from 5by5 - its not clear now what if anything they get out of being associated with 5by5.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

wooger posted:

Another step further from 5by5 - its not clear now what if anything they get out of being associated with 5by5.

Well that's it really. The expensive part is the bandwidth (is this even true anymore with SoundCloud?), everything else just takes time. A live stream and chat room are pretty much set and forget and cost nothing.

The other shows on the The Incomparable Network have ads already, right? I wonder if they just need to finish up their last month of ad sales on The Incomparable proper before they bolt.

Thread title remains relevant.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Logically, it seems likely that they would leave, but for whatever it's worth Jason was downplaying the possibility the day after that whole thing happened. He was basically saying on Twitter that there's no point in leaving and that a podcast can live in two places at once. We'll see, but I wouldn't be surprised if it goes either way.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Diabolik900 posted:

Logically, it seems likely that they would leave, but for whatever it's worth Jason was downplaying the possibility the day after that whole thing happened. He was basically saying on Twitter that there's no point in leaving and that a podcast can live in two places at once. We'll see, but I wouldn't be surprised if it goes either way.

It can, but what exactly is the point? Clearly none of the new incomparable shows are on 5by5 in any capacity, only seems logical that they move off too.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Marco made some posts earlier this week that talk about 5by5 and the future/past of podcasting networks.

One of his points is that simply being on a network doesn't really improve "discoverability". A good show will expand its audience only by being good.

While I agree with his larger point that networks aren't necessary, there is something a bit more to the discoverability angle. I never went and added a new 5by5 show after browsing the website, even for shows that looked vaguely interesting. But I did listen to some shows based on positive mentions from the hosts of one show. I doubt I ever would have found the Flophouse if Siracusa hadn't promoted it. I think it is possible that the network can encourage the sort of collaboration that leads to hosts being aware of and liking something, and that they in turn expose it to a wider audience.

Certainly this can occur without the underlying network structure (The Flophouse is not even part of the same network as was Hypercritical) but I think that there can be these benefits when the network pushes for it, which is a strength of 5by5. Indeed a while back I recall Dan explicitly talking about cross-promotion, even if partly jokingly. The Incomparable was one I came to via the After Dark feed, and that represents another discoverability feature that a network can provide.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 27, 2014

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one
Yeah, I think that discoverability has more of a role in the network model than what Marco gives it credit for. I only listen to ATP because I knew Marco and Siracusa from Hypercritical and Build & Analyze. I only started listening to those shows after I started listening to The Talk Show, which was on 5by5 at the time- and hearing Dan and John talk about and promote them. At one point I think I was listening to 6 different shows on 5by5, just because they were all cross-promoting each other (and because I liked Dan as a co-host).

anotherone fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 27, 2014

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

anotherone posted:

Yeah, I think that discoverability has more of a role in the network model than what Marco gives it credit for. I only listen to ATP because I knew Marco and Siracusa from Hypercritical and Build & Analyze. I only started listening to those shows after I started listening to The Talk Show, which was on 5by5 at the time- and hearing Dan and John talk about and promote them. At one point I think I was listening to 6 different shows on 5by5, just because they were all cross-promoting each other (and because I liked Dan as a co-host).

I think Marco's point is that that was then, and this is now. I had a similar path to you, but now most of my podcast subscriptions are unaffiliated with a network, and I didn't discover them through one.

Sugary Carnival
Mar 17, 2007
Metal GEAR?!!!!!
Is Bionic dead? There hasn't been a new one in three weeks.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Sugary Carnival posted:

Is Bionic dead? There hasn't been a new one in three weeks.

Looks like you were right. They announced today that they'll be recording the final episode next week.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Diabolik900 posted:

Looks like you were right. They announced today that they'll be recording the final episode next week.

Live and let live and all that, but holy gently caress I cannot comprehend why anyone likes this shambles of a show.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Lexicon posted:

Live and let live and all that, but holy gently caress I cannot comprehend why anyone likes this shambles of a show.

Yea, totally agree. Aside from Myles pissing annoying accent (as a Brit), they just don't have the background knowledge on what they're talking about much of the time. I tried two episodes on different occasions.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Lexicon posted:

It's entirely a character piece (though they aren't playing characters). If you like the characters, it's listenable-to-funny. If you don't, it's garbage.

I imagine they would agree with you that the show barely holds up, and I also imagine they'd share your surprise that anybody liked it.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
And now Myke Hurley is leaving: http://twitter.com/imyke/status/487235109029179392

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Very curious what he's going to end up doing. He's cancelling all his shows which seems like a bold move.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

He said not to unsubscribe though, so it almost sounds like they'll all continue in some form once he's got his new thing going.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
The 5by5 State of the Union should be up tomorrow.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Well here's a new one: a show coming back to 5by5.

https://twitter.com/zeldman/status/490200368983588865

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Looks like Myke Hurley's new post-5by5 thing is launching in a week. It's a new podcast network run by him and Stephen Hackett called Relay FM.

http://relay.fm/hello

Looks like Myke's 5by5 shows are basically moving over with new names, plus there will be a new show with Myke and Casey Liss.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Diabolik900 posted:

Casey Liss.

The few times I've heard him away from Marco and John, Casey's been interesting. He's by far the weakest link on ATP, though.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Malloreon posted:

The few times I've heard him away from Marco and John, Casey's been interesting. He's by far the weakest link on ATP, though.

True, but I think that's just inexperience. The other two have literal years of experience rambling into microphones at their desk every week, while a thousand idiots yell at them by email and twitter about every perceived slight or injustice, as they spontaneously develop opinions on topics that they didn't care about two weeks previous.

And while in general I'll listen to any group of people that includes John Siracusa, I have a hunch that ATP would become unlistenable if it was The John and Marco Show.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Myke Hurley is the anti Siracusa for me, in that I can't stand to listen to any podcast he's on.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Outside of Ira Glass, John Siracusa is without exaggeration perhaps the most beloved personality in podcasting. I don't think I've heard anyone express a contrary opinion on him.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Lexicon posted:

Outside of Ira Glass, John Siracusa is without exaggeration perhaps the most beloved personality in podcasting. I don't think I've heard anyone express a contrary opinion on him.

I believe it. I will listen to every single thing he does as long as it doesn't involve spoilers for something I haven't yet seen/read/played.

If he existed in attractive lady form I'd marry her immediately.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

pokeyman posted:

And while in general I'll listen to any group of people that includes John Siracusa, I have a hunch that ATP would become unlistenable if it was The John and Marco Show.

I have to fast forward through Marco because he's a human blog post who can only confidently talk about himself and his apps. Any other opinion sounds unconvincing next to John's commentary.

geera
May 20, 2003

Malloreon posted:

I thought the same for a while, but I've noticed lately that he seems to be settling in to his role as the host pretty well. He seems more comfortable moderating and moving the conversations along. He's also cut way back on the extreme self-deprecation and inability to commit to having his own opinion that used to annoy me to no end.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Lexicon posted:

Faith mentioned on IRL Talk that ATP had a troll that seemed specifically to be complaining about Siracusa. According to her, John invited the guy to come to the live chat room, not in a 'calling him out to fight' way but in order to discuss it as adults.

And if people didn't know and want more of Casey Liss & Myke Hurley (or, judging by other opinions, want something they absolutely will want to avoid), they have a new podcast together, called Analog(ue).

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
Has anyone been listening to Isometric? I heard about it on the most recent ATP and I'm surprised it's the first I've heard of it.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I've listened to about half of the most recent episode because of the ATP mention/gamergate stuff. Seems like a good show, but I don't know that I'll listen regularly because I'm just not that into video games anymore.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

So The Critical Path has a new co-host along with @asymco, and nary a mention of Moises was made. Anyone hear on another show what the deal is here?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Lexicon posted:

So The Critical Path has a new co-host along with @asymco, and nary a mention of Moises was made. Anyone hear on another show what the deal is here?

Moises left to start his own podcast network and took all his shows with him. Critical Path apparently stayed behind.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Malloreon posted:

Moises left to start his own podcast network and took all his shows with him. Critical Path apparently stayed behind.

Yeah, but that was ages ago and he remained a host of TCP. Only this week he vanished from it, and nothing was mentioned.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I was listening to ATP and I think I figured out one facet of my man crush on Siracusa.

There's never any straddling the fence in any of his opinions. When a topic comes up, his opinion emerges fully formed and internally consistent every single time. It's like when he's not recording podcasts he's coming up with lucid and cogent answers to every possible question he could be asked, then memorizing the answers just in case it comes up.

Maybe that's the "research" Marco and Casey won't let him do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

It's pretty impressive. I don't think he crams for it either, I think it's just an excellent working knowledge of whatever subject (by "working knowledge" I mean knows a lot from a user's perspective) combined with a heightened sense of self-examination. I don't think he is comfortable saying "I like/dislike X but I can't really say why, I just do".

Also he's been carrying even more weight than usual on that show the past couple weeks.

• Locked thread