Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

DangerDummy! posted:

I'm actually surprised people didn't like the Alan Rickman episode. It definitely wasn't James Adomian's strongest performance, but I remember it made me laugh quite a bit.

BTW, you always have the best avatars, caveman.

The crazy folding in onto itself that happened in the end of that episode was probably my favorite ending ever. "I want my gold. Bye bye." was stuck in my head and cracked me up all day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
Am I the only one who thinks "Scott-a-bot" isn't a very funny name for Hot Saucerman (his real, legitimate, and internationally-recognized name), and should have been dropped by now?

e: I may just be reading subtexts that aren't really there, but it seems to me like he was trying to get away from the Hot Saucerman moniker when he changed the name of the podcast. But he got some negative feedback on this, so he decided to keep them both in the hope that "Scott-a-bot" would catch on as well.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Sep 26, 2011

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Majorian posted:

Am I the only one who thinks "Scott-a-bot" isn't a very funny name for Hot Saucerman (his real, legitimate, and internationally-recognized name), and should have been dropped by now?

e: I may just be reading subtexts that aren't really there, but it seems to me like he was trying to get away from the Hot Saucerman moniker when he changed the name of the podcast. But he got some negative feedback on this, so he decided to keep them both in the hope that "Scott-a-bot" would catch on as well.

I agree. It wasn't even funny the episode it was brought up. I wish there was an effort to come up with new things every few episodes. Also, I miss Clock Soccermom.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
What is both great and terrible and Scott Aukerman is that he is full of non-jokes that are only funny to him. Listen to the theme songs for the games they play - the "what am I thinking" theme, the "would you you rather" theme - and imagine him picking those ridiculous pieces of music out.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

wafflesnsegways posted:

What is both great and terrible and Scott Aukerman is that he is full of non-jokes that are only funny to him. Listen to the theme songs for the games they play - the "what am I thinking" theme, the "would you you rather" theme - and imagine him picking those ridiculous pieces of music out.

"Who said it" gets funnier every time.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
That's sort of why it works though. Scott surrounds himself with funny people in every show, but the way the show works is that one person, the celebrity usually, is the straight man to whatever character is there. Scott's role in the show is sort of as a mediator between the real world that the fabulous celebrities live in and the absurd universe that August Lindt and Don Dimelo come from. If Scott wasn't awkward and kinda terrible it would put the show off balance.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
The Gelman story from this history of the UCB is awesome. Lots of CBB guests in here, should be of interest to regular listeners!

http://nymag.com/print/?/arts/comics/features/upright-citizens-brigade-2011-10/

j8910
Apr 2, 2002

DangerDummy! posted:

I'm actually surprised people didn't like the Alan Rickman episode. It definitely wasn't James Adomian's strongest performance, but I remember it made me laugh quite a bit.

BTW, you always have the best avatars, caveman.

The "Rolling Stone Pizza Company" bit is probably one of the best moments in the show's history. Totally caught me unawares, too.

Is anyone else still resentful that they changed the name, besides me? "Comedy Death Ray" just a much better name, and "Comedy Bang Bang" is not very good. It's a tragedy.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I listened to the most recent episode today and it was ok, but am I the only one that's never really liked "What Am I Thinking?" It's a fun game to play but I don't enjoy listening to it.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

I'm with you, although the conclusion of the game with Jimmy Pardo recently almost made up for my usual disdain for it.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Flamazot posted:

I listened to the most recent episode today and it was ok, but am I the only one that's never really liked "What Am I Thinking?" It's a fun game to play but I don't enjoy listening to it.

Yea, I kind of tuned out during the last half of this episode. The games usually keep me entertained but I just wasn't feeling it today.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
The only thing I got out of this weeks episode is I really want Matthew Sweet do to an acoustic remake of the Girlfriend album, and well Todd Barry is way to dry for the podcast format.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
Yeah, maybe you just need his face. He's funny on TV, but it doesn't come through on podcasts.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Flamazot posted:

It's only funny if the guests don't understand how its played.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
I'm listening to today's episode and I'm currently on the "Hot Topics" game. I really don't think this is funny at all. Why are you doing this, Scott? Your show usually brings me so much joy.:(

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

SKULE123 posted:

I'm with you, although the conclusion of the game with Jimmy Pardo recently almost made up for my usual disdain for it.
"Alright so the words are teenagers....and sticky"

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Majorian posted:

I'm listening to today's episode and I'm currently on the "Hot Topics" game. I really don't think this is funny at all. Why are you doing this, Scott? Your show usually brings me so much joy.:(

Hot topics worked much better the first time with that group of guests. Todd Barry is one of my favorite comics, but his stuff just doesn't come across great on a podcast. Also, the music guy seemed out of his depth comedy-wise.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Hot topics cracks me the gently caress up. I love how Scott insists to not talk about the actual topic, but about what whoopie asks.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

The_Rob posted:

Hot topics cracks me the gently caress up. I love how Scott insists to not talk about the actual topic, but about what whoopie asks.

Yeah, this week's was the first time I'd heard Hot Topics, and if that's a bad example of it being played, I'll have to look for another episode with it because it was great.

What Am I Thinking was pretty good, too, but I definitely feel it would be funnier with some other people, or perhaps someone playing a character.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Strange Matter posted:

"Alright so the words are teenagers....and sticky"

I like that they both said jizm as opposed to any other word for it.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

I think Jimmy Pardo said they should pack the game up forever because that was the best it would ever get, and I think he was right.

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
Hot Topics is gold based on theme song alone

dictionar.com
Jul 17, 2005

VERISIGN IS A BAD COMPANY
What the gently caress was up with the charity remake of "We are the world"? I heard the episode it premiered with Kevin Nealon and Tig but never bothered with the lead up ones, because the song is so grating. It does fit with CDR humour; goes on way too long, there's no humour hits or redeeming aspects, there's a rap section.

Then at the end there's no payoff. Scott and his guests just go "wow, that was amazing." HOW DEEP DOES THIS RABBIT HOLE GO

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Kings Gold posted:

goes on way too long, there's no humour hits or redeeming aspects, there's a rap section.

Oh, so it's a novelty song. Gotcha.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Kings Gold posted:

What the gently caress was up with the charity remake of "We are the world"? I heard the episode it premiered with Kevin Nealon and Tig but never bothered with the lead up ones, because the song is so grating. It does fit with CDR humour; goes on way too long, there's no humour hits or redeeming aspects, there's a rap section.

Then at the end there's no payoff. Scott and his guests just go "wow, that was amazing." HOW DEEP DOES THIS RABBIT HOLE GO

It works best if you see the video for it, which I assume was what they were watching in studio.

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/d627d10acb/we-are-the-world-25-75

dictionar.com
Jul 17, 2005

VERISIGN IS A BAD COMPANY

DangerDummy! posted:

Oh, so it's a novelty song. Gotcha.

It's literally "We are the world sung" by LA comics poorly. It was for charity, to sell on itunes.

In that vid Kurt Russell actually says "it's a horrible song done even worse, seriously it's really bad and out of sync." Listening to it in the podcast there is no break from the line that it's in earnest, trying to be funny and touching, and of course it's two of the most deadpan comics featured in the episode, playing it completely straight. Goddamn it Scott Aukerman.

Although that ep is great for the dry humour competition between Nealon and Tig.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Kings Gold posted:

It's literally "We are the world sung" by LA comics poorly. It was for charity, to sell on itunes.

In that vid Kurt Russell actually says "it's a horrible song done even worse, seriously it's really bad and out of sync." Listening to it in the podcast there is no break from the line that it's in earnest, trying to be funny and touching, and of course it's two of the most deadpan comics featured in the episode, playing it completely straight. Goddamn it Scott Aukerman.

Although that ep is great for the dry humour competition between Nealon and Tig.

I dunno, I heard it once and got a couple of cheap giggles out of it, especially the Neil Hamburger schtick at the end. That's all something like that is good for. I'm not trying to be a dick or anything, but that's all I really get out of comedy music, especially since I turned 14 and outgrew buying "Weird" Al records. You could drat sure make a case for Ween or Zappa as far as funny music is concerned, but mostly you're being a bit silly if you're looking for more than a thimble's depth of meaning or artistic merit in the novelty song genre.

All that said, I can't hear "Birthday Sex" without thinking of "Weirder" Scott.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
Aww, I love novelty songs. But I definitely prefer songs that work both as jokes AND as songs. Loudon Wainwright's probably my favorite, although he's like 75% serious and 25% jokey.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Both CDR christmas benefit songs are like the most Scott Aukerman-y jokes ever.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Both CDR christmas benefit songs are like the most Scott Aukerman-y jokes ever.

Which means I love them and they are hilarious.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

wafflesnsegways posted:

But I definitely prefer songs that work both as jokes AND as songs. Loudon Wainwright's probably my favorite, although he's like 75% serious and 25% jokey.

Absolutely! A lot of Johnny Cash's American albums are full of funny, off-beat stuff that I love, I already brought up Ween and Frank Zappa, a lot of Weezer's catalog, even their more maudlin stuff, is pretty tongue in cheek. That's all great stuff that I listen to all the time (maybe not so much Zappa...). I'll take any of that over some clown with Garage Band recording "My Girl's Always Fartin' All the Time" or some crappy song about smelly pussies or something. Even a lot of the better stuff is lazy and hacky. I work with a bunch of comedy geniuses who like to sing along to the radio with their own wacky lyrics. It really goddamn grates on me.

I love "Weird" Al, I always listen to his new stuff and usually find it funny, but I'm pretty okay with just hearing it the one time and moving on. And hell, I used to be a Stern listener, and there are a bunch of great songs that have been wrecked for me thanks to their parodies. I mean that in a good way.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
At the UCBTLA 5 Year Anniversary Show Scott Auckerman performed with a couple other guys ( I believe paul rust was one of them) and they just kind of jammed and I was confused at first if he was just going to play some music or be funny or what was going on. Scott Auckerman loves music.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

The_Rob posted:

Which means I love them and they are hilarious.

Yeah that's the thing. I don't get how anyone can listen to the show and not "get" those and the Weirder Scott songs.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
For some reason I really like the Brett Gelman monologues on CBB

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

E2M2 posted:

For some reason I really like the Brett Gelman monologues on CBB

The reason would probably be that anything which satirizes creepily and blatantly self-indulgent fiction will probably turn out to be hilarious.:keke:

Flying-Chip
May 2, 2004

The only song I've liked on CBB was "The Monster gently caress". I could not breathe from laughing so hard.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Flying-Chip posted:

The only song I've liked on CBB was "The Monster gently caress". I could not breathe from laughing so hard.

I am sorry but Birthday Checks is a modern masterpiece. :colbert:

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And it's even funnier the seventh time Scott plays it!

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
I always used to fast forward through the songs unless they were Lonely Island or Tenacious D. I kinda dug The Bangles (and the other folks who've been in-studio recently) but I absolutely hated one of the in-studio performances from some guy who's name I forget. It wasn't too super-long ago but I just looked through the episodes and didn't see him. His music was just super average whiney poo poo that a guy might play at a party but he couldn't sing.

And that's the story of that guy I didn't like who's name I can't remember.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lesley Appleby
Jul 23, 2005

Wow, that got loud and creepy all of a sudden, didn't it?

caveman thug poo poo posted:

I always used to fast forward through the songs unless they were Lonely Island or Tenacious D. I kinda dug The Bangles (and the other folks who've been in-studio recently) but I absolutely hated one of the in-studio performances from some guy who's name I forget. It wasn't too super-long ago but I just looked through the episodes and didn't see him. His music was just super average whiney poo poo that a guy might play at a party but he couldn't sing.

And that's the story of that guy I didn't like who's name I can't remember.

Was it the Dillon whoever dude from the episode with Zach Galifianakis and PFT as Andrew Lloyd Weber? I just re-listened to it recently and had the same reaction.