Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
Honestly, I think I'd be hard pressed to defend a band in this situation where one guy is sort of predisposed to poo poo on it, no matter the band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

"Welcome to Analyze Phish! I'm Harris Wittels, and I'll be your tour guide through the cosmos! Sorry!"

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I love Analyze Phish because I see both sides of it. I was a diehard Phish fan from 1989 to 1993, and have gradually started hating them more and more. I think Harris should try "Run Like an Antelope"... but then again, what's the point? Even if he manages to find 5 Phish songs that Scott can tolerate, that doesn't exactly equate to being a Phish fan. But it's just so enjoyable to hear his desperation, and Scott's reactions.

Favorite non-CBB Earwolf podcast, though? Not a chance, not on a network with Who Charted, Professor Blastoff, and Earwolf Challenge.

It sucks that Eardrop fizzled out. It was such a great idea, but quickly devolved into just Doug's tour dates, "airport sounds" and Steve Agee's annoying "Cue the sound effect!"

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Thelonius Van Funk posted:

Honestly, I think I'd be hard pressed to defend a band in this situation where one guy is sort of predisposed to poo poo on it, no matter the band.

I think giving Scott drugs and bringing him to a live show is Harris' best chance. If you don't like Phish after that, it's simply not gonna happen.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

caveman thug poo poo posted:

you're wrong of course (it's El Chupacabra or Fabrice Fabrice)

I GAVE COREY HAIM COCAINE!

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I think El Chupacabra can get a little grating now and then but he'll always be my favorite for the Jon Hamm/Juan Jamon episode, as well as the Christmas special with PFT and Colin Hanks and the non stop string of catchprases preventing Brett Gelman from reading whatever dumb thing he brought that day.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
MACHISMO!

The episode that made me *get* CDR/CBB was Nick Kroll/Paul Scheer, and one of the very first things I heard and liked on the show was his Earwolf callsign recording, so El Chupacabra will always be my favourite.

THE WOLF DEAD.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!
What are some good James Adomian as Huell Howser episodes? I've heard a few and I tried searching the info for "Huell" but I don't have a lot of results. What's the one where he folds himself up into a jacket?

Mogambo
Jan 6, 2011

:hurr:
This has been a public service announcement to put me on ignore.

Lord Wexia posted:

What are some good James Adomian as Huell Howser episodes? I've heard a few and I tried searching the info for "Huell" but I don't have a lot of results. What's the one where he folds himself up into a jacket?

Episode #103 - the second anniversary episode. Holy poo poo. It goes weird places and I love it.

CALIFORNIA'S MARCHING
CALIFORNIA'S MARCHING

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
I just cant believe iBrain is now bound to be entirely fiction. :(

F.F. Woodycooks
Jul 24, 2006

Lord Wexia posted:

The one with Adam Scott and PFT as Ice-T (episode 80) is my favorite. The thought of Jesse Ventura and Ice-T in a motorcycle with a sidecar is amazing.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
His 'Chewbacca' was great as he immediately moves in to saying "IT'S BEEN YEARS!"

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Yannick_B posted:

I just cant believe iBrain is now bound to be entirely fiction. :(

Well, Apple's looking for a new chairman. If you become majority shareholder, you could probably at least get Gelman on the board.:v:

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

I have been going back to some favorite episodes to see if I actually do think the show has gotten a bit worse and I do enjoy the period of episodes 70-90 or so a lot better than now. It really has to do with guests. The bright spots in the more recent episodes are the shows with gifted improvisers who are not big name stars. Sappity Tappity, the American Apparel guy, Don Dimillo.

What I'm saying is that CDR is at it's full potential with Jon Daly, James Adomian and Andy Daly. I need these people back!

Cacahuate
Feb 21, 2007
OMG! (•_•) You are a peanut!
Well... when I go to Queens I HAVE A GOOD TIME!! :nyd:

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

Cacahuate posted:

Well... when I go to Queens I HAVE A GOOD TIME!! :nyd:

You know how it is to get a song stuck in your head? That happens to me with this phrase at least once a week.

No Ticket
Jul 20, 2007
Unfortunately James Adomian moved to NYC so I'm not sure if/when he's going to come back to the podcast any time soon.

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang

SKULE123 posted:

You know how it is to get a song stuck in your head? That happens to me with this phrase at least once a week.

And now it has spread to me. Awesome.

asapaperdoll
Oct 21, 2010

j8910 posted:

Is anyone else still resentful that they changed the name, besides me? "Comedy Death Ray" just a much better name, and "Comedy Bang Bang" is not very good. It's a tragedy.
I think Aukerman had a falling out with the co-creator of CDR and decided to abandon the original name. I'm not sure if there were legal considerations behind the name change.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Jimmy Wilson posted:

I think Aukerman had a falling out with the co-creator of CDR and decided to abandon the original name. I'm not sure if there were legal considerations behind the name change.

Oh I'm sorry I'm gonna have to dock you points, I didn't open the floor for unsolicited explanations.

Nadine Hauklund
May 17, 2002

A boy's best friend is his mother.

caveman thug poo poo posted:

Oh I'm sorry I'm gonna have to dock you points, I didn't open the floor for unsolicited explanations.

Classic blunder.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
The latest episode is pretty great. I love Nick Lowe, and I'm confused that they got him on the podcast.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers

wafflesnsegways posted:

The latest episode is pretty great. I love Nick Lowe, and I'm confused that they got him on the podcast.

I'll second this. PFT is great as usual, and I don't think I've disliked a single podcast Jon Hamm has been on. :allears:

He was definitely one of the better in-studio performances. Those of you who don't like the in-studio stuff, Scott mentions in the beginning today's ep is one of the last ones to have it.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
If you guys haven't seen it, the Earwolf app is pretty great. It crashes all the time still, but it has lists of all the contributors and their episodes, so if you're a big Nick Kroll fan or whatever you can find all his stuff. Not by character, but I feel like that would be too insane.

One thing, though - there's an episode with WYR when Scott says "Send your scenarios to me on Twitter, but only when I ask for them" and Chupacabra goes "Why, are you printing them out?" and everybody dies laughing. It was pretty recent, like maybe in the 80-110 range, but I can't find it. Anyone have a clue?

e: This may be the episode with Goatron.

Also, the first time I heard iBrain I was doubled over laughing uncontrollably. I think that's the only time it's ever happened in my life. I was crying and my stomach and face hurt for the rest of the day. Brett Gelman is amazing

Blackula69 fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 10, 2011

redz
Sep 19, 2003

What's a not gay way to ask him to go camping with me?

Jimmy Wilson posted:

I thought it had something to do with the IFC web series called Comedy Death Ray.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Do people really not like Tig Notaro? Because she's the best ever. But if you google her, you see she has some weird stalker, and that's lame.

Hot tub foot?

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Blackula69 posted:

Do people really not like Tig Notaro? Because she's the best ever. But if you google her, you see she has some weird stalker, and that's lame.

Hot tub foot?

Hey buddy, this look like page 6 to you?

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Blackula69 posted:

Hot tub foot?

Hot tub foot.

Laughing the theme to MASH was amazing in the new podcast.

RandolphCarter fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 10, 2011

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

RandolphCarter posted:

Laughing the theme to MASH was amazing in the new podcast.

That was the only big laugh for me. I just don't find Gary Marshall that funny. Plugs really was the best bit this week because PFT, friend of the show, turned up.
VVVV You're in luck for Scot said that Rocktember or whatever had ended this week VVVV

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 10, 2011

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I wish they'd stop having musical guests. They're either terribly boring or, at best, inoffensive, but none of them are anything I'd choose to listen to in the middle of a comedy podcast. It's Comedy Bang Bang, not Comedy and Some Acoustic Middle-Aged White People Music Bang Bang.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
I liked the discussion of the Star Wars novels, in which Chewbacca was hit by a car.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Blackula69 posted:

One thing, though - there's an episode with WYR when Scott says "Send your scenarios to me on Twitter, but only when I ask for them" and Chupacabra goes "Why, are you printing them out?" and everybody dies laughing. It was pretty recent, like maybe in the 80-110 range, but I can't find it. Anyone have a clue?

I wanna say this was the one with Paul Scheer as well? Or was that El Chupacabra's 9/11 Party reveal?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Blackula69 posted:

That line is from episode 59 with Paul F Tompkins, Andy Daly (As August Lindt) and Todd Glass.

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Oct 10, 2011

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

PFTs character on this latest episode was pretty bad.

Not very funny at all.

Jon Hamm on the other hand :allears:

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I wonder if most goons are too young to appreciate a Garry Marshall impression.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

FitFortDanga posted:

I know who he is, and watched alot of his shows on Nick at Nite when I was a kid though I can't say I know his voice.

I didn't dislike the epsiode, but Garry Marshall is probably my least favorite of PFT's characters. He just doesn't have as much going on as, say, Cake Boss or Ice-T.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

FitFortDanga posted:

I dunno -- I'm young enough to have never watched his shows (and, critically, didn't have nick at nite as a kid), but he's still my favorite of pft's characters. I don't think his real-life credits are necessary at all; it's just his low-grade hostility that works so well for me. (At the risk of page-jumping, it's probably the same sensibility that puts me firmly in the pro-tig camp.)

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

FitFortDanga posted:

I dunno. The thing that makes PFT characters great is that they don't really rely on familiarity with the impersonated individual. I've never seen or heard the Cake Boss but when PFT brings in cake scarabs and sentient R2-D2 cakes and communicating with the dead it's really funny. I think the last time I paid any attention to Ice-T was in like the 90's, but it's funny when he's recast as an insane entrepreneur coming up with terribly-named businesses.

The Gary Marshall character is like a less successful cousin to PFT's Andrew Lloyd Webber. I'm at least somewhat familiar with their work, but I've never seen either of them or heard them talk. ALW is hilarious and Gary Marshall is just OK, probably because musical theater/British nobility are more inherently ridiculous than a grumpy Hollywood director. But without Gary Marshall we wouldn't have gotten the amazing line "Cake Boss, Cake Boss, gifted seer, help a guy out over here"

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

I love Garry Marshall, and I don't think you need to know anything about him to get the jokes. His Bronx accent and the fact that he can never remember his own resume get me every time.

"I think I was on Your Show of Shows, or some other old-timey TV show."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
The Garry Marshall character is definitely a good one in the context of The Great Undiscovered Project, but I just don't think it worked in this week's CBB. It wasn't bad, but I got excited when I saw PFT was on, and left a bit disappointed.