Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Thermos H Christ posted:

I dunno. The thing that makes PFT characters great is that they don't really rely on familiarity with the impersonated individual.

I'm in the same boat here. My favorite of his characters is probably Lord Andrew Lloyd Webber, and a big part of this is that I don't know if there's any basis whatsoever for how PFT portrays him. I think I've seen him in a total of one interview, so I know he kind of has the same timbre to his voice, and I'd like to imagine he has some of the same frenetic energy, but that's really about it. But I'm a big fan of some of his musicals (and love to hate the rest), and I can't get enough of the added silliness of him taking first his knighthood and now his noble title too seriously. The same is true with the Cake Boss; I've only seen an episode or two of his show and haven't gotten too much of a handle on how he behaves in real life, but the fact that he's become this immensely stylized caricature is part of the fun for me.

That said, I agree with SpacePig that I like Garry Marshall better in The Great Undiscovered Project than on CBB/CDR. I still enjoy the character and thought he was funny on this episode, but I think one of his other characters would have been funnier. I want to hear him play around with Werner Herzog (although he did that one pretty recently) or John Lithgow more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Funny, Herzog is my least favorite PFT character, probably because I'm too familiar with the real guy. The voice isn't quite right, the attitude isn't quite right. And I would say that Cake Boss is my favorite (with Ice T a close second), and I've never seen a second of that show. So maybe my Marshall comment was off. I just find it funny that PTF really seems to capture the essence of Garry Marshall, vaguely confused and mildly belligerent.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

FitFortDanga posted:

Funny, Herzog is my least favorite PFT character, probably because I'm too familiar with the real guy. The voice isn't quite right, the attitude isn't quite right.

The voice is definitely off, but I still think it's a fun caricature of the man's ethos. It's not his strongest so far, but I think it could get better if he played around with it a bit more.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
I agree that his Herzog is his weakest, if only because the real Herzog is already funny and self aware, so there's not really much for PFT to do with him it seems. Garry Marshall might be my favorite just because I share the strong dislike of his movies that Tompkins brings to the character.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I loved Herzog not because of anything in particular that PFT did with him, but because he was constantly making Zach giggle like a little girl, which I found to be delightful and entertaining. I didn't care much for Herzog on the Pod F. Tompkast but hey, not everything can be a home run. Also I love Mr. Gary.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

I haven't heard the new CBB, but the episode with Tom Scharpling, Weird Al & Garry Marshall is one of my favorites. The Herzog one was a bit of a let down, but it still wasn't bad. It just didn't really feel like he cut loose at all.

The only one of his characters that I just plain didn't care for was Mr. Brainwash, but even that wasn't without its charm.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
I like the Herzog character, if only for the part where he said he was making a Gilligan's Island movie, and it's about man's futile struggle against nature.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

indigi posted:

I loved Herzog not because of anything in particular that PFT did with him, but because he was constantly making Zach giggle like a little girl, which I found to be delightful and entertaining. I didn't care much for Herzog on the Pod F. Tompkast but hey, not everything can be a home run. Also I love Mr. Gary.

Yeah, listening to Zach laugh at him constantly was pretty great. I get the feeling that Werner might evolve into a better character if given some time, though. There's not a single PFT character that I dislike, even if some are a bit weaker than others.

Octavian
Mar 29, 2007
John Lithgow is my least favorite Tompkins character almost entirely because I'm actually familiar with who he is (thanks Third Rock), and so something about his impression is just ever-so-slightly off that it usually just bothers me.

Z.S. Ghost
Jan 1, 2008

Odd Fire Wolf Gang
The best PFT character is Cake Boss. Moving on, my favorite moment from the show may be the exchange between Scott, Andy Samberg, Bro the Weed Guy, an old lady, Gilbert Godfrey (emerging from the antechamber, no less), Shaq, and Shaq's older brother Sax about how much Bro sucks. Really, any massive multi-character thing will get me (see also the Kroll/Mulaney episode).

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Blackula69 posted:

One thing, though - there's an episode with WYR when Scott says "Send your scenarios to me on Twitter, but only when I ask for them" and Chupacabra goes "Why, are you printing them out?" and everybody dies laughing. It was pretty recent, like maybe in the 80-110 range, but I can't find it. Anyone have a clue?

I know this was already mentioned as part of a PFT, Todd Glass, Andy Daly(August Lindt) episode but it was such a good line I can't even remember how many times I heard it. Everyone goes silent, Scott gives a groan like "Ugh I just got so owned", and Paul goes "TUTONIC BURN". It was so perfect.

Anyways, on the topic of PFT and his characters, I don't know if it is my favorite but Ice-T was weird for me. When I first heard it I was skipping around on episodes because I thought it was so dumb and bad, then when I got more familiar with the show and heard the PFT/James Adomian one I honestly thought to myself towards the end "Hey I think he does sound a lot like Ice-T..." when he still clearly doesn't.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Every time Jon Hamm is on, it still blows me away just how absolutely hilarious he is.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Man I got excited when I saw that Paul Scheer is on CBB this week but then I saw Brody Stevens and I'm not sure if I want to listen any more. I don't really get that guy, I've just found him really obnoxious every time I've heard him.

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
Man, I wonder if Nick Swardson knows any movies other than Avatar. Also Brody was way better on this than his second Who Charted if that's the bar we rate Brody Stevens by.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Flamazot posted:

Man I got excited when I saw that Paul Scheer is on CBB this week but then I saw Brody Stevens and I'm not sure if I want to listen any more. I don't really get that guy, I've just found him really obnoxious every time I've heard him.

I'm right there with you but he was very subdued for this episode.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I haven't listened yet but I love Brody Stevens so I'm looking forward to it.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Bunk Rogers posted:

I'm right there with you but he was very subdued for this episode.

Yeah I just got finished listening to it and I actually liked him a lot.

I love when they have Paul Scheer on, his characters are always so good.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches

Z.S. Ghost posted:

The best PFT character is Cake Boss. Moving on, my favorite moment from the show may be the exchange between Scott, Andy Samberg, Bro the Weed Guy, an old lady, Gilbert Godfrey (emerging from the antechamber, no less), Shaq, and Shaq's older brother Sax about how much Bro sucks. Really, any massive multi-character thing will get me (see also the Kroll/Mulaney episode).

I agree about Cake Boss, if only because I often get confused when trying to find something to watch on demand, and Cake Boss is one of the options. I realize its a real show that has nothing to do with the mythology PFT has created.

I also can't say ingredients any other way than ingredgienchs anymore.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Since a couple of days ago, the audio clips on the earwolf website won't load anymore. Anyone know what's up?

It looks like this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Wasn't Brody Stevens hospitalized for mental issues recently?

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
Aw, apparently yes: http://crushable.com/entertainment/comedian-brody-stevens-liveteets-a-manic-breakdown-nearly-gets-arrested/

Listening to podcasts really makes you identify with comedy people as real people. Like, Paul Scheer had a really loving rough childhood, and it makes something like what happened to Brody actually way more sad.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Blackula69 posted:

Aw, apparently yes: http://crushable.com/entertainment/comedian-brody-stevens-liveteets-a-manic-breakdown-nearly-gets-arrested/

Listening to podcasts really makes you identify with comedy people as real people. Like, Paul Scheer had a really loving rough childhood, and it makes something like what happened to Brody actually way more sad.

Where does he talk about his childhood? The only thing I've heard that's close to that is his appearance on The Indoor Kids talking about how he bought every wrong video game system.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

He mentions it in passing on CBB, talks about it a little more on Who Charted, and his WTF is a must-listen (even though I hate Marc Maron a lot). His mom had a lot of problems, and she kept shacking up with terrible dudes. It's really weird for a guy who's so positive and has such a positive style of comedy to have such a dark, dark background.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Blackula69 posted:

He mentions it in passing on CBB, talks about it a little more on Who Charted, and his WTF is a must-listen (even though I hate Marc Maron a lot). His mom had a lot of problems, and she kept shacking up with terrible dudes. It's really weird for a guy who's so positive and has such a positive style of comedy to have such a dark, dark background.

Yeah it almost enhances his positive disposition to know his background. I liked him before, but now I'm convinced he must be a great guy.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Yannick_B posted:

Yeah it almost enhances his positive disposition to know his background. I liked him before, but now I'm convinced he must be a great guy.

For some reason he never clicked with me, even after enjoying a bit of The League, but when I heard his most recent CBB before this one, I was amazed at how nice of a dude he seemed. Like crazy genuine nice, this is good to hear.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

I don't think there are any guests on CBB that I don't really dig, I'm trying to think of someone I avoid.

But that League episode of CBB is one of the top-5 episodes, I love Nick Kroll so loving much.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008

Crazyweasel posted:

For some reason he never clicked with me, even after enjoying a bit of The League, but when I heard his most recent CBB before this one, I was amazed at how nice of a dude he seemed. Like crazy genuine nice, this is good to hear.

He did an episode of Jordan Jesse Go that made me a fan of his for the same reason.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
Paul Scheer is so nice that he has an entire podcast ripping on lovely movies, which results in people who were involved in those movies calling up the show saying how much they enjoyed it. I love playing along with How Did This Get Made.

Jack Bandit
Feb 6, 2005
Shit, I'm a free man and I haven't had a conjugal visit in six months

Blackula69 posted:

As depressing as most of that story is I loved the part about them moving out and how they managed to get the guy out of the house.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Jack Bandit posted:

As depressing as most of that story is I loved the part about them moving out and how they managed to get the guy out of the house.

It would be an extremely depressing story coming from most people, but he tells it in such an amazing way. His WTF is one of my favorite podcast things ever.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
You know he's got to be a pretty good guy if he, gap-tooth and all managed to marry June Diane Raphael:

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Speaking of doing well, Matt Besser was quite successful with Danielle Schneider

Eltoasto fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 19, 2011

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Just wanted to point out that Bob Ducca's "TV Ailments" lists on yesterday's and today's "Affirmation Nation" is loving amazing.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
Haven't heard that, but the lists of ailments are always great. "Yellow fever. Scarlet fever. Red fever. Beiber fever."

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Danielle Schneider owns and is great + nice

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Majorian posted:

Just wanted to point out that Bob Ducca's "TV Ailments" lists on yesterday's and today's "Affirmation Nation" is loving amazing.

It sounds like there's a part 3 coming too.

SkellingTon Loc
Oct 24, 2005

I was feelin' horny and ornery hornery
Have the SuperEgo guys ever been on CBB? An hour with Giger or Shunt Mcguppin would be amazing.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
They're on an early episode with Paul F. Tompkins as a guest host. The Superego guys play Paul F.'s grandmas.

It was a pretty low key episode.

Fezz fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 20, 2011

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Fezz posted:

They're on an early episode with Paul F. Tompkins as a guest host. The Superego guys play Paul F.'s grandmas.

It was a pretty low key episode.

That's a really great episode. I loved Paul's Grandmas, and Katlin Olsen from It's Always Sunny was the guest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

The_Rob posted:

That's a really great episode. I loved Paul's Grandmas, and Katlin Olsen from It's Always Sunny was the guest.

Is Coy coming?