Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I think Tig is pretty funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
Is Dropsy here?

Jack Bandit
Feb 6, 2005
Shit, I'm a free man and I haven't had a conjugal visit in six months

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I think Tig is pretty funny.

Page six? I think she is not very funny!

LITERALLY MAD IRL
Oct 30, 2008

And Malcolm Gladwell likes what he hears!

The_Rob posted:

That's a really great episode. I loved Paul's Grandmas, and Katlin Olsen from It's Always Sunny was the guest.

"Do you wear a bumpit?"
"Uh oh."

That was also the episode with the Muhammad Ali song I think.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
It was. I loved PFT's introduction to it too; here's a thing nobody remembers and it makes no sense.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Can I burn you up a tuna fished sandwich?

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Jack Bandit posted:

Page six? I think she is not very funny!

Good One Robot is the best character ever and the burden of proof is on anyone who says otherwise.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Good One.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

YEAH?!

ohshititsric
Jul 17, 2009
I think vegetarian robot is a serious contender for best robot character.

I DON'T EAT MEAT.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

ohshititsric posted:

I think vegetarian robot is a serious contender for best robot character.

I DON'T EAT MEAT.

DO YOU CHEW GUM?

I think vegetarian robot was the only character that Chelsea did that I liked, and it really only took off when Adam and Harris got involved.

e: I've yet to fully listen to a Tig episode, so I won't comment on her.

ohshititsric
Jul 17, 2009

SpacePig posted:

DO YOU CHEW GUM?

I think vegetarian robot was the only character that Chelsea did that I liked, and it really only took off when Adam and Harris got involved.

Even though the entire theme of that episode was doing ironically terrible Harris Wittels style characters, her's were pretty sincere in their awfulness. Racial accents and catch phrases can only go so far. Still a great episode though, Harris is definitely my favorite guest. He should be the eternal cohost of CBB.

Tig owns. Listen to Professor Blastoff.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
Tig Notaro is a pioneer proving that you you don't need to "tell jokes" or "be funny" in order to be a comedian.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007
You are a pioneer proving that you don't need to "make sense" or be worth replying to for me to reply to you.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches

The_Rob posted:

That's a really great episode. I loved Paul's Grandmas, and Katlin Olsen from It's Always Sunny was the guest.

This is one of the best episodes, if only because PFT (who actually hosted the show, Aukerman was out), plays a clip from his live show singing "How Soon is Now" and it's the best thing.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

UP AND ADAM posted:

You are a pioneer proving that you don't need to "make sense" or be worth replying to for me to reply to you.

good one. :awesomelon:

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I just listened to the episode with Swardson and man, what the gently caress. I like a cum/cock/balls joke as much as the next guy but he can't help but go insane. I then jumped back to the Cosby-Bukowski episode also with Swardson and he does the same thing. Not saying anything about anything else he does but he can't loving reign it in at all on CBB. It's annoying. And if he didn't have Paul Scheer/Jon Daly to help keep it in line it would be pure awful madness.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

soggybagel posted:

I just listened to the episode with Swardson and man, what the gently caress. I like a cum/cock/balls joke as much as the next guy but he can't help but go insane. I then jumped back to the Cosby-Bukowski episode also with Swardson and he does the same thing. Not saying anything about anything else he does but he can't loving reign it in at all on CBB. It's annoying. And if he didn't have Paul Scheer/Jon Daly to help keep it in line it would be pure awful madness.

See: http://www.avclub.com/articles/miraculous-case-file-198-bucky-larson-born-to-be-a,62424/

quote:

Bucky Larson represents an even greater undertaking, since the core of the film—the script—was partially provided by one of the richest and most powerful men in Hollywood. Adam Sandler commands upwards of $20 million a film. His time is more valuable than yours or mine. Yet in a gloriously misplaced act of generosity, he chose to spend it collaborating on a screenplay about a man with the mind of a child, the haircut of Prince Valiant, and the penis of a mosquito. That’s what this kingmaker, this titan of industry, chose to do. That’s how he chooses to wield his enormous power.

Swardson had to realize that Bucky Larson: Born To Be A Star represented his one shot at being a proper movie star (at least in the Rob Schneider sense). This was 8 Mile time. This was his one shot. This was an opportunity for Swardson to tell a story near and dear to his heart, to communicate something profound about the world we live in and the imperfect people who populate it.

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
I honestly feel that Nick Swardson is the least funny of the UCB-LA people. Maybe Charlyne Yi too, but I will admit that I don't really "get" her.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I normally really like Swardson, but he was pretty insufferable on this week's episode. Not everything is cocks and balls, Nick! Go back to making grandma jokes! Or come on the show as Gay Robot.

That jsut gave me an idea: Have an episode with Nick as Gay Robot, Chelsea as Vegeterian Robot, Tig as Good One Robot, and Adam Scott as Persephone. All robot show.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
Charlene Yi is not really well suited for podcasts, but she's good live. I think her weird charm doesn't come through in her voice.

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy

SpacePig posted:

That jsut gave me an idea: Have an episode with Nick as Gay Robot, Chelsea as Vegeterian Robot, Tig as Good One Robot, and Adam Scott as Persephone. All robot show.

And of course hosted by the world famous Scott-a-bot

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Second week in a row where I had turned it off halfway through due to sheer boredom.

Nick Swardson isn't very funny either.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

SpacePig posted:

DO YOU CHEW GUM?

e: I've yet to fully listen to a Tig episode, so I won't comment on her.

I don't listen to the show very often but I found all of the characters hilarious that week. I don't know, maybe the so awful its good characters just appeal to me. That or Adam Scott since I find everything I've heard of him funny as well.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Davincie posted:

I don't listen to the show very often but I found all of the characters hilarious that week. I don't know, maybe the so awful its good characters just appeal to me. That or Adam Scott since I find everything I've heard of him funny as well.

I think it's Adam Scott. I think the only funny aprts of Chelsea's bits were when he and Harris started trying to get her to do more. Adam's deadpan reaction to everything was perfect. I don't dislike Chelsea, though. I just think she may have been high or something

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
It's definitely Adam. He comes off as the deadpan straight-man to ground everything, then out of nowhere he'll suprise you with really awesome, out-there absurdity.

e: Nick is quick, but I'll agree his fall-back is dick jokes (but what's wrong with that?). A better example of his humor is this CBB episode. Still some dick jokes and some Borat jokes, but listen the whole way through and you can see he has some great improv talent.

Double e: Vv also, I agree. I enjoyed this week's episode. vV

Urk! fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 23, 2011

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

I really enjoyed this week. Not sure why everyone is so down on it, guess I just don't have problems with dick jokes.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

ElCondemn posted:

I really enjoyed this week. Not sure why everyone is so down on it, guess I just don't have problems with dick jokes.

it's the idea that he is clearly straining to make constant dick jokes funny that annoys me.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

soggybagel posted:

it's the idea that he is clearly straining to make constant dick jokes funny that annoys me.

I didn't get that feeling at all, I definitely laughed out loud at some of the things he said.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Slotducks posted:

Second week in a row where I had turned it off halfway through due to sheer boredom.

Nick Swardson isn't very funny either.

You should just skip to when Paul Scheer's character comes in.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I felt bad about this week's epsiode because I really like Nick Swardson's stand-up, but him being there really added nothing to the show until Paul Scheer showed up, and even then, it was just more dick jokes. I honestly think he should just come up with a character to play next time he's on, or just come on as Gay Robot, because him being him just does not work in this format.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

ElCondemn posted:

I didn't get that feeling at all, I definitely laughed out loud at some of the things he said.

I laughed at some of the things he said but he just doesn't seem to flow well. In the sense that he has only an on and off switch once he goes blue. And once he's there its just "let me loving talk about cumming down someones throat." He was able to set up some nice softballs for Scheer to play off of but it got old fast. I'm just not the target audience for Swardsons cum humor though. I do like a lot of his standup too but its certainly more varied. I'll just say I think the CBB format just doesn't suit him well.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
Nick Swardson has the Harris Wittels disease where he has no idea which of his ideas are funny and which are not. It's just that his bad ideas are really loving bad.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

musicals are garbage
Swardson was fine. His whole thing in stand up is that he is a frat boy dumb guy. That has always been his thing.Dick and cum jokes are funny too.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

Swardson's first appearance on CDR is totally amazing. Maybe what was at work this time was that his first starring role in a film was a total bomb that was universally hated? Maybe he's just not on his game.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Bobby Malone posted:

Nick Swardson has the Harris Wittels disease where he has no idea which of his ideas are funny and which are not. It's just that his bad ideas are really loving bad.

Harris Wittels knows exactly which of his ideas are inherently funny and which are funny because they're terrible

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA

Bobby Malone posted:

Don't insult Wittels like that.

Also Swardson got a lot funnier when Paul's character came in, that was pretty good

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

The_Rob posted:

Swardson was fine. His whole thing in stand up is that he is a frat boy dumb guy. That has always been his thing.Dick and cum jokes are funny too.

I love his stand up, honestly, but like Blackula said, he didn't really get funny in this until Paul came in. He was by no means an afwul guest, but he just didn't seem to work out well by himself.

The Capm posted:

Swardson's first appearance on CDR is totally amazing. Maybe what was at work this time was that his first starring role in a film was a total bomb that was universally hated? Maybe he's just not on his game.

I'll have to check this out, then. I was legitimately excited to see his name in the billing this week, so maybe this one'll be better.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

SpacePig posted:

I'll have to check this out, then. I was legitimately excited to see his name in the billing this week, so maybe this one'll be better.

It's an all time great of the series. Nick Swardson and Jon Daly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Blackula69 posted:

Don't insult Wittels like that.

Also Swardson got a lot funnier when Paul's character came in, that was pretty good

Yea, I totally agree with that, not that he was insufferable before that. He at least was willing to have conversations and he wasn't shooting down topics like a lot of stand ups do with improv