Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Todd Glass's sensible diet is one consisting solely of bits. I love that guy so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Bonzo posted:

ok. I've only listened for a few months but I guess I joined right when it was more "nerdy" subjects in a row

There's always the Dork forest for more slightly-on-topic nerding out http://tdf.libsyn.com/

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
They couldn't do the amount of shows they do if it was just "nerd" stuff. I enjoy the variety of different guests.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:
Even before it started to have a lot of A-list guests it was always using the term nerd to more mean when you are heavily invested in something. Not just traditional nerd stuff like video games and computers but comedy, movies, even dumb poo poo like Doctor Who (it's terrible stop liking things I don't like :mad:)

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Doctor Who is loving terrible and I don't get how it has any of the respect it does. It's exactly as awful as LEXX was, yet it somehow has all this recognition in spite of it being better than only the lowest tier of TV shows, poo poo like Two And A Half Men and CSI Miami and NCIS and poo poo.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Zsinjeh posted:

Even before it started to have a lot of A-list guests it was always using the term nerd to more mean when you are heavily invested in something. Not just traditional nerd stuff like video games and computers but comedy, movies, even dumb poo poo like Doctor Who (it's terrible stop liking things I don't like :mad:)

Apoplexy posted:

Doctor Who is loving terrible and I don't get how it has any of the respect it does. It's exactly as awful as LEXX was, yet it somehow has all this recognition in spite of it being better than only the lowest tier of TV shows, poo poo like Two And A Half Men and CSI Miami and NCIS and poo poo.
Hey, we're not the only ones!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew6aAEiyeyc

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

ChickenArise posted:

There's always the Dork forest for more slightly-on-topic nerding out http://tdf.libsyn.com/

Too bad Jackie Kashian is a horrible podcast host, don't know about her comedy though.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Vincent posted:

Too bad Jackie Kashian is a horrible podcast host, don't know about her comedy though.

Equally horrible.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

I think my favorite nerdist misfire that comes to mind is the couple of times where they were abruptly dismissive and mean spirited about starcraft. I have zero emotional attachment to starcraft, but it's loving starcraft. Like the least divisive nerd intellectual property of all time. Hah those silly koreans, look at them!

radlum
May 13, 2013
I just realized Chris is single; he mentions it during the Spoon podcast (it was OK, the band members were as snarky as I thought they will be). I'm surprised there hasn't been a hostful where they talk about that, I guess the whole Comic Con thing delayed that.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
That explains his strained grin as they cut to commercial on @midnight now. Although I don't know how far in advance those are shot.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

superjew posted:

That explains his strained grin as they cut to commercial on @midnight now. Although I don't know how far in advance those are shot.

Monday, Tuesday, two on Wednesday

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I didn't listen to the Spoon podcast, but I did get the impression that he had broken up recently from one of the recent episodes. It's sad because he and Chloe seemed perfect for one another. :( Maybe it was one of those things where they broke up peaceably, as opposed to after a huge fight. His break-up with Janet Varney was mutual and all. Here's hoping they both do okay, at least.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Maybe the fact that he is incapable of stopping working ever took a toll on their relationship. I mean, really. That's a big problem-causer I would think.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Also being like 30 years older than her.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
I'm just glad I can actually listen to the intros and get some dates and info instead of having to skip over a twenty minute intro of giggles and inside jokes.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Jean Eric Burn posted:

Also being like 30 years older than her.

Yeah, I always forget Chris is over 40, at first glance he looks as if he is eternally in his 30s (except in the 90s - early 2000s, when he looked just awful).

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

superjew posted:

I'm just glad I can actually listen to the intros and get some dates and info instead of having to skip over a twenty minute intro of giggles and inside jokes.

Which were one of the most enjoyable things, to me. Quit being a curmudgeon.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I loved the nick frost episode. Some people just click perfectly into the podcast.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Jippa posted:

I loved the nick frost episode. Some people just click perfectly into the podcast.

Nick Frost was great, I expected nothing less. Hope to see him in more movies.

Also, nice to know that Matt continues to make poor financial decisions, and I say that as a guy who plays Warhammer

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

The only thing that makes Matt Mira tolerable is hearing all the horrible life choices he continues to make and learn nothing from.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
What has he done now?

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Buying a house with his girlfriend who he's been dating like a month

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Buying a house with his girlfriend who he's been dating like a month

I thought he said he was renting?

Granted, moving in together after a month is an AWFUL idea, but it's less awful than buying a house together after a month.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Rose McGowan... well, I almost made it 45 minutes before I couldn't take it any more. For someone who claims to have done so much she is very boring.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012

Bunk Rogers posted:

Rose McGowan... well, I almost made it 45 minutes before I couldn't take it any more. For someone who claims to have done so much she is very boring.

I found it great actually. She started slow but she just started casually mentioning all kinds of hosed up thinhs like being held prisoner in a ships hold for three days before being smuggled out or being homeless at 13 and working as a dancer at gay bars. It sas worth it just for chris's reactions.

Also I just finished the Spike Feresten episode and that was a good one. Funny and they seemed to have a lot of fun.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I liked the Paul Reubens episode. I mostly skip Nerdist but that was a good one.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

We need a longer Keanu episode.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Bunk Rogers posted:

We need a longer Keanu episode.

Yeah, I was surprised of how entertaining Keanu was. The sad Keanu and the Whoah thing made me think it was gonna be a bore, but I really enjoyed it. Paul Reubens was pretty great too.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I remember the episode with the cabin in the woods guy (I forget his name), he spent ages talking about how much of a good lad keanu is.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

Jippa posted:

I remember the episode with the cabin in the woods guy (I forget his name), he spent ages talking about how much of a good lad keanu is.

You mean Cabin Fever? I think there was some Keanu talk in the Eli Roth ep.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Gargamel Gibson posted:

You mean Cabin Fever? I think there was some Keanu talk in the Eli Roth ep.

Yeah that's it.

Loved the clive barker double bill. I think only some one like chris could have pulled that off.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I haven't listened to any of the Nerdist podcasts in a long time, has Chris talked about breaking up with Chloe Dykstra any yet? I'm curious about that, if he's gotten to it yet.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Apoplexy posted:

I haven't listened to any of the Nerdist podcasts in a long time, has Chris talked about breaking up with Chloe Dykstra any yet? I'm curious about that, if he's gotten to it yet.

Nope he has acknowledge it a few times but hasn't given any details. There was some serious flirting going on from both sides in the Kristen Ritter episode though.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Apoplexy posted:

The age difference and the fact that Chris is a workaholic who keeps doing more and more projects had to factor in the break-up, but so far he hasn't said anything and I don't think he will.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I enjoyed the michael ironside episode and realised that canadians say "mum" as well which is oddly endearing for some reason.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Paul loving McCartney!

That is the top get of any podcast yet.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I prefer Mall McCartney.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Geekslinger posted:

Paul loving McCartney!

That is the top get of any podcast yet.

Next stop : Obama

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
My theory is that every guest you get makes it easier to get the next one. If they want to get an actor that person might say "oh well Tom Hanks and these other respected actors did the show maybe I should too."

Paul McCartney is another of those prestige gets that will help down the line. It would not shock me at all if a presidential nominee is doing podcasts next election cycle.

• Locked thread