Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
Do you have a USB microphone, a Macbook, and the audacity to think that people want to hear what you have to say? Here's your chance.

This thread is for two kinds of people:

1). Those of you who make podcasts of your own, and would like to tell the RGD community about them.

2). Those of you who are interested in finding podcasts created by fellow goons.

There are already some great resources for this, including the Gooncasts Wiki, and the "Who else podcasts?" thread in Creative Convention. This is a supplement to those sites.

Here, you can tell us about your show, notify us when new episodes are available, and have discussions about podcasting and getting the word out. Any kind of show can live here: Comedy, informational, gaming, etc.

When you're telling us about the show you make, please provide the following information:

The show's name
The show's website URL
iTunes URL or RSS URL
The show's genre
Release schedule (weekly? monthly?)
A brief description of what your show's all about

Here are some general rules:
1). Don't Be an rear end in a top hat: Criticism is often desperately needed, but there's a wrong way to go about it. Don't be antagonistic. Instead, be as constructive as possible.
2). Please have content for your posts: This is a place where you can say "Hey, the new episode is up!," but please use those posts to facilitate discussion. Say what topics you're covering, or how you think the episode stacks up to others that you've made.

There may be more guidelines later, as need arises.

:siren:THE GRAND DIRECTORY:siren:
How to use The Grand Directory: Goon shows are organized alphabetically by category. Click on the show's name to be whisked to the appropriate post for more details. If you take issue with the genre that your show is listed in, let me know. If you need to change anything about your listing, let me know.

Comedy
The Al, Rock, and Kris Show!: Site | iTunes | RSS
Alcohollywood: Site | iTunes | RSS
Brittany and Meredith, Live!: Site | iTunes | RSS
Dead Idea Valhalla: Site | iTunes | RSS
Lou Reads the Internet for YOU!: Site | iTunes | RSS
Love Perth / Hate Perth: Site | iTunes | RSS
Ninjas vs. Podcast: Site | iTunes | RSS
Talk About the Weather: Site | iTunes | RSS
Think Stuff: Site | iTunes | RSS
Those drat Ross Kids: Site | iTunes | RSS
Tipping Forties Podcast: Site

Culture and Tech
Dead Mics Podcast: Site | RSS
Saltklypa (Norwegian Language): Site | iTunes | RSS

Fine Arts (Film and Literature)
Can't Stop the Podcast: Site | iTunes
The Infernal Brains Podcast: Site | iTunes | RSS
The Library Police: Site | iTunes | RSS
That's Pure Entertainment: Site | RSS

General Entertainment
Anime World Order: Site | iTunes | RSS
Saturday Night Curtain Jerkers: Site
Smart Wrestling Fan: Site | iTunes | RSS

Lifestyle
The Annie Fox Show: Site | iTunes | RSS
Beating it With Vainglory: iTunes | RSS

Video Games
Rad Crew (Norwegian Language): Site | iTunes | RSS
Stand Under the Don't Tree and Riddle Me This: Site | iTunes | RSS
Watch Out for Fireballs!: Site | iTunes | RSS

Song For The Deaf fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Oct 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

Here are my shows.

Those drat Ross Kids
iTunes | RSS
Genre: Comedy
Released: Weekly, Tuesdays
Goon: Song For the Deaf
Description: Two brothers talk about weird news stories and the frustrating alienation of being in your 20's in modern day America.

Stand Under the Don't Tree and Riddle Me This
iTunes | RSS
Genre: Video Games
Released: Weekly, Fridays
Goon: Song for the Deaf
Description: A weekly video game discussion podcast about video game news and, of course, what we've been playing. Notable since none of us have industry connections.

Watch Out for Fireballs!
iTunes | RSS
Genre: Retro Games
Released: Every other Thursday
Goon: The Capm, Song for the Deaf
Description: A joint venture between two goons, this is a twice-monthly retro games club podcast. Each show, we pick one game, play through it, and offer our thoughts on it. There's a strong listener participation component to the show, with the best commenter winning a copy of the next show's game.

Song For The Deaf fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Oct 25, 2011

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

There's some really interesting looking stuff showing up here, and I'll definitely check your shows out.

After we get off the first couple of pages, I'll list the shows by genre in the second post of the thread. That way any lookie-lous (Not you, Lou) won't have to comb through the thread for info.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

The one-year anniversary episode of Those drat Ross Kids was just made available. I think it's worth checking out, but I'm biased.

http://www.duckfeed.tv/tdrk/45/

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

My network, Duckfeed.tv, surpassed 1000 downloads in the past month (across all of my shows). I know these numbers are small potatoes in the grand scheme of things, but that's a big milestone for me.

Podtrac.com is a pretty good resource for numbers tracking, and its interface isn't an abortion (unlike Feedburner and Blubrry).

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I've gone ahead and compiled your posts into a directory for the OP. Every week or so, I'll collect the new ones and add them to the list. Let me know if I messed anything up.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

This is the advice I give whenever the question arises:

If you absolutely don't have the money to get an interface and an XLR microphone, the best USB mics (in my opinion) are the Samson Meteor and the Blue Yeti. Both have headphone jacks for self monitoring, which is important for getting good mic technique.

You will also want to invest in a stand that will get the mic close to your mouth, and a pop filter (since these are condenser mics).

XLR mics are really a good way to go, especially if you're willing to lay down some money for an interface like the M-Audio Fast Track Pro. You can usually find them on Craigslist for about half of their list price. Any XLR mic wil work on any interface or mixer, since most come with phantom power. As long as you take good care of it, you can always count on it working. Someone else has also mentioned the benefits of XLR re: having more than one person in a room. It's a nice luxury, but if you're primarily going to be working via Skype, you might be able to put it off and stick with USB.

For XLR microphones, I currently use the MXL 990, which is very reasonably priced, sounds great for speaking voices, and comes with a shock mount. I'm putting my pennies away for a Heil PR40, because that's just about the best drat dynamic microphone you can get.

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

The newest episode of Those drat Ross Kids is pretty funny. Chex it.

http://duckfeed.tv/thosedamnrosskids/episode-56-snooker-and-the-reconciliation.html

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

You have my apologies for neglecting the thread... I'm going to spend some time updating the OP to get everyone into the index.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

So, uh, I done fell off on maintaining this OP. I apologize for neglecting this for so long, but I intend to go back through and update things so this can actually be a good resource for Gooncasts around the world.

I hope you can forgive me.