Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007
Why Does It Exist?

iTunes
RSS

I started WDIE as a blog last year. My goal was to watch and review movies that were below the radar of bad/cult/psychotronic movies. Mickey Rourke movies from the late 90's, National Lampoon comedies, straight-to-DVD Val Kilmer movies and bigger-budgeted theatrical movies that never really made any ripple at the time. It was mostly born out of my fascination with movies I could hardly find any info about; while grindhouse movies have their own cult audience, things that fall somewhere out of that jurisdiction do not.

Out of that grew the podcast. I invited my friend Dan along and we watch a movie every week and discuss it. This isn't strictly a bad movies podcast; we go in as blind as possible and aren't necessarily looking to rip the movie apart (but it tends to happen nonetheless). Every week we feature a different song by a Montreal musician or band and we have some special guests lined up in the new year from the Montreal entertainment scene (comedians, actors, musicians, etc.).

The sound quality on the first 2 - 3 episodes is a little rough without necessarily being muddy but the last couple are much clearer (I'd start with those if I were you) and I've already planned to purchase some better microphones in the next couple of weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007
Why Does It Exist? Episode 13 - The Man Who Loved Women

iTunes

We finish up our month-long exploration of the bottom of the Burt Reynolds barrel with a remake of a Francois Truffaut movie where Burt is a sensitive sculptor and also pretty much the only dude on Earth, so he becomes awesome for lack of comparison. Music by Folly and the Hunter.

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007
Why Does It Exist? - Tanya's Island (1980)

This week we welcome our friend David Bertrand of Montreal's Blue Sunshine Psychotronic Film Centre for a mind-melting viewing of the tax-shelter erotic drama TANYA'S ISLAND, a would-be art film centered around a love triangle between a man, a woman and a giant yeti/Sasquatch/ape of some repute. If this isn't the strangest film we've covered thus far, it's certainly the one that contains the most sex scenes involving apes. Music by Alice & The Intellects

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

Episode #36: Brando Unauthorized

One of the things that Why Does It Exist? has taught me is that you can get away with a poo poo-ton of dubious legal measures if you exist somewhere in the nether regions of Hollywood. After last week’s egregious ripoff of many of Hollywood’s best-loved films, we tackle Brando Unauthorized, a biopic done without any consent from the Brando estate and with all the integrity of a dollar-store R-Patz biography. Triple-threat auteur Damian Chapa (who has also portrayed Roman Polanski, produces, directs and stars as Brando, a particularly brave move considering this lumpy fortysomething also portrays Brando at the tender age of 16 - certainly the world’s doughiest sex symbol.

As told through the eyes of Brando’s no-goodnik junkie murderer son Christian, Brando Unauthorized celebrates the great actor and innovator for everything he did that was of no particular worth: showing his rear end to Talia Shire, multiple fisticuffs and extramarital affairs, telling his dad to stick it where the sun don’t shine and various other sundry melodramatic nonsense. If Ulli Lommel somehow began directing fiction features for TMZ, it would look something like Brando Unauthorized.

Having reserved Brando Unauthorized months ago, WDIE contributor and workhorse pedant Mickey O’Narey joins us for a frank discussion of what Brando means to this world as well as a lot of gesticulating and microphone-peaking impressions of Brando. NOTE: Why Does It Exist? does not condone or condemn the usage of dubious Jersey Shore impressions.

iTunes
Stitcher
LibSyn