Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The Impossible Archive

iTunes | Twitter

Genre: History/paranormal
Release schedule: Roughly monthly

"The Impossible Archive" is hosted by two historians, Bill Black and Eddie Guimont (myself). The podcast is about us, as professional historians, navigating (in a very loose format) how to explore both the history of "weird things" in general through the viewpoint of historical training, as well as how historians broadly should view such topics. While not believers, neither do we consider ourselves hardcore debunkers, but an approach that I view as sympathetic skepticism.

Episodes released so far include an interview with fellow historian Kate Dorsch on the history of Project Blue Book; with astronomer Horace A. Smith on the book he and I are writing on H. P. Lovecraft and astronomy; and a review of Halloween III with conspiracy journalist Robert Skvarla. Outside of our interview episodes are several on the Pentagon UFO reports from this summer; a review of the newspaper letters to the editor of the 1920s crank Ole J. Sneide; ghosts; and how the megalodon became a cryptid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Gertrude Perkins posted:

[url=https://flashinthepancast.com/]

I just started listening to this, and talk about memory lane. I was out for a walk today and listened to the Ebaumsworld Dot Com, which then led me back to episode 1 and the Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny, and for a couple hours it was like I was back on YTMND in 2005.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Kamel posted:

The Project Bluebook and Lovecraft's astronomy eps are some of the better podcasts I have listened to recently. Still working my way through, but I'm enjoying your exploration of the history of "interesting" beliefs rather than focusing on debunking or straight mockery.

Thank you! Yes, the Kate Dorsch interview has been one of the highlights for me doing the podcast. It still blows my mind that Project Blue Book actually did look into Roswell, something that I don't think I've ever seen anywhere else but which you'd think would be a big deal considering how big those two elements are in UFO lore. As for the Lovecraft and astronomy episode, we are finishing up the draft of the book as we speak! We're at the final line-editing of each other's draft chapters, following which we're sending it off to the publisher, who last time we talked was interested in getting it out next year.

We have a few more episodes recorded already waiting to come out, including some on my adventures with very local cryptozoology and pseudohistory, and an interview with a UFO documentarian. We also are going to soon be interviewing a relatively Big Name in the history of academic studies of UFOs, which I'm looking forward to!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Gertrude Perkins posted:

Flash In The Pan[/url]

It just hit me to ask - would you ever consider covering some of the classic early Flash Tubs from here on SA?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Gertrude Perkins posted:

Episode 100.1: VIDEOGAMES ARE BAD (feat. Vilemoon)
A huge milestone episode, with SALP coolguy VileMoon in tow to go deep into the belly of Gamer Culture and stare down CTRL+ALT+DEL: THE ANIMATED SERIES! In this first partisode we cover season 1, look at the origins and cultural context for the show and the comic it’s based on, and stare into the dark heart of Gaming. You don’t want to miss this one, folks.

Episode 100.2: Gamers Stinky (feat. Vilemoon)
We go even deeper with our pal VileMoon and push through season 2 of CTRL+ALT+DEL: THE ANIMATED SERIES. The journey is long and hard and we emerge exhausted and changed…for the better? We read some very kind emails and talk about our century of episodes. Thank you all so much for being part of this, Flashketeers. We couldn’t do it without you.

As someone who really only knew CAD due to Loss and the general knowledge of it being a ripoff of Penny Arcade, I really enjoyed these two episodes! Also, as someone who used to live in Hartford and well remember seeing the ConnectiCon crowds downtown every July, I can't believe I missed my chance to see him in person at the only venue he appears at.