Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

The Spoony Bard's Aural Theatre

What This Is Supposed to Be:
My girlfriend and I are attempting to create serial drama adaptations of retro video games. We're using music and sound effects from the game, and every word of dialogue is taken right from the original script. The only thing added is the narration, provided by Girlfriend. I do all the male voices, she does the female voices.

The first game we're doing is Final Fantasy IV. We're using the English translation that was provided in the Playstation 1 release of Final Fantasy Chronicles.

[

The only episode we've created so far is Final Fantasy IV from the beginning up until Rydia joins the party. I would really, really, really appreciate it if someone would provide some feedback to us. She is a dramaturg and has tremendous experience in script adapting and theatre but neither of us have ever done anything like this. We basically got a microphone, downloaded Audacity, and she sat down with the Playstation and started playing and writing a script. We're not voice actors. We're doing our best, and surely we'll improve as this goes, but we could use some feedback, advice, criticism. Please, if you listen to this and think this is a good idea or whatever, leave us a comment on the website or on our Facebook page! It will really go a long way to helping us mold this project into something great.

Get it:
Soundcloud | Website

Genre:
Video Games/Radio Drama

Duration:
45 minutes

Release:
Right now we only have the one episode, and we're working on the second. If all goes well, once that is finished and we have some of this refined, we intend to release an episode every two weeks.

Goons:
Just me.

Social etc:
Twitter | Facebook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Serial drama adaptations of retro video games. We're using music and sound effects from the game, and every word of dialogue is taken right from the original script. The only thing added is the narration, provided by Girlfriend. I do all the male voices, she does the female voices. I'm doing like eighteen loving voices.

The first game we're doing is Final Fantasy IV. We're using the English translation that was provided in the Playstation 1 release of Final Fantasy Chronicles.

Episode 02: Collateral Damage

This episode begins with the disillusioned dark knight Cecil having taken it upon himself to protect Rydia against the evil Baron Empire. Together they quest to find Rosa and encounter many interesting (though not always very helpful) people who join their party and witness the destruction that has gone on all around them.

Get it:
iTunes | Libsyn | Website | RSS

Genre:
Video Games/Radio Drama

Duration:
55 minutes

Release:
The 1st and the 15th of every month.

Goons:
Just me.

Social etc:
Twitter | Facebook

credburn fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Sep 15, 2016

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Serial drama adaptations of retro video games. We're using music and sound effects from the game, and every word of dialogue is taken right from the original script. The only thing added is the narration, provided by Girlfriend. I do all the male voices, she does the female voices. I'm sorry sorry sorry about Polom's voice!

Episode 03: Ordeals

Baron is attacking Fabul! When Cecil and the gang lend their aid to the monks, Cecil discovers his dark sword cannot defeat true evil and thus begins his journey inward on the path of goodness and righteousness and such.

Get it:

Genre:
Video Games/Radio Drama

Duration:
1 hour

Release:

Goons:
Just me.

Social etc:
Twitter | Facebook

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Serial drama adaptations of retro video games. We're using music and sound effects from the game, and every word of dialogue is taken right from the original script. The only thing added is the narration, provided by Girlfriend. I do all the male voices, she does the female voices. I'm sorry sorry sorry about Polom's voice!

Episode 04: The Rise of a Paladin

Here is the episode

Cecil forsakes his Dark Sword for that of a Paladin and returns to Baron to kick some rear end, but discovers the taint of evil runs very deep, indeed!

Get it:

Genre:
Video Games/Radio Drama

Duration:
1 hour

Release:

Goons:
Just me.

Social etc:
Twitter | Facebook

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Intermezzo 01

Direct Download

This is a short break between episodes. We're about halfway through Final Fantasy IV, so it seemed like as good a spot as any for something like this. We're both working full time jobs and we had a lot going on this week so we didn't really have time to finish Episode 05 as much as we wanted to. In this extra long episode, we talk about the birth of this podcast, some of our background in this sort of thing, the weird little details we've implemented in the podcast that seem like maybe nobody but us will ever even know we went to all the trouble for, and also some bloopers and such. We also talk about our trip to the Portland Retro Gaming Expo, which was superfun awesomebutts.

Get it:
iTunes | Libsyn | Website | RSS |

Genre:
Video Games/Radio Drama

Duration:
2 hours

Release:

Goons:
Just me.

Social etc:
Twitter | Facebook

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

greatn posted:

Would you be interested in having more people record voices for you? Since it is prescripted someone could send you lines ahead of time, might make your life easier not having to modulate the voices as much.

We are absolutely wanting some people to do more voice work. We're going to finish off FFIV with just the two of us since we've already established all the characters, but every subsequent game we do we're going to get a cast together before we start. If you're interested and have an okay mic (doesn't have to be super great, but something better than an XBox headset thing) send us a message on Facebook!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Episode 05: The Dark Bargain

Here is the episode

In order to rescue Rosa from Golbez's vile clutches, Cecil and his party must seek out and retrieve the Earth Crystal, but it is guarded by a Dark Elf in a magnetic cave where metal weapons and armor are useless! Also: Chocobos!

Get it:

Genre:
Video Games/Radio Drama

Duration:
50 minutes.

Release:

Goons:
Just me.

Social etc:
Twitter | Facebook

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Episode 06: The Tower of Zot

Here is the episode

Holy smokes, Golbez turns out to be a liar! More is revealed about Golbez's intentions, what legend says the crystals are for, and a race to secure the last of the crystals takes our heroes from the highest point in the sky to the depths of the planet.

Get it:

Genre:
Video Games/Radio Drama

Duration:
50 minutes.

Release:

Goons:
Just me.

Social etc:
Twitter | Facebook

credburn fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Dec 3, 2016

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

If you can imagine those old timey radio serial dramas, but instead of doing an original story with actors and a studio and foley artists, it's my girlfriend and I adapting a video game script using the game's original music and sound effects. We're taking the script from the game, exactly as it was written, and the only thing we're adding is narrative dialogue to give it context. All the words spoken are exactly as they are spoken in-game, even if that makes it seem rather bizarre at times, either due to localization issues or just the nature of the medium.

This first season we're doing Final Fantasy IV, as it was localized in the Final Fantasy Chronicles Playstation 1 game.

Episode 07: The Tower of Babil

Here is the episode

Well, this is three loving days late because I'm sick as a dog and couldn't get my poo poo together. I also couldn't walk straight or stand up for too long. But anyway, it got done, here it is, I'm sorry!

In this episode, we move on from the Tower of Zot and enter a different tower, the Tower of Babil. Here, it is said, lies the means to unlock the power to the MOON or some such. There's only one crystal left, and the Dwarves, the people of Eblan, and the Baron Kingdom must unite to stop the evil Golbez from finding it and doing whatever the hell he thinks he's going to do! We've come a long way from Cecil the Dark Knight butchering a village. Oh, and loving RYDIA returns! But also we lose some of our favorite heroes in this episode.

Get it:

Genre:
Video Games/Radio Drama

Duration:
50 minutes.

Release:

Goons:
Just me.

Social etc:
Twitter | Facebook

credburn fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Dec 18, 2016

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

If you can imagine those old timey radio serial dramas, but instead of doing an original story with actors and a studio and foley artists, it's my girlfriend and I adapting a video game script using the game's original music and sound effects. We're taking the script from the game, exactly as it was written, and the only thing we're adding is narrative dialogue to give it context. All the words spoken are exactly as they are spoken in-game, even if that makes it seem rather bizarre at times, either due to localization issues or just the nature of the medium.

This first season we're doing Final Fantasy IV, as it was localized in the Final Fantasy Chronicles Playstation 1 game.

Episode 08: The Land of the Summons

Here is the episode

In this episode, we spend the entirety in the Underworld, hanging out with dwarves and monsters. Edge is a prince of Eblan -- a NINJA prince. When he's not hitting on Rydia, he's getting killed in battle because he's so God drat useless. But he has good reason to come along and help us secure the final crystal -- that weird doctor we met in the last episode has transformed the prince's parents into monsters! Even Rubicant, the last of the four fiends of elements thinks that's wildly excessive. We're getting close to the denouement of this season. The path to the Moon is going to be opened and the last of the crystals is in jeopardy!

Also: dudes. I've been spending the last month or so working on the script for what will be Season 2 or Season 3. It's classic Fallout 1. I've just finished Episode 08 (out of...let's say, a maximum of 12 episodes) and that's over 70,000 words. To give you perspective, that's like two Great Gatsbys. Although perhaps not as well written. Well, not quite as well written. Anyway, this first season was just mostly Girlfriend and I doing everything, and it existed both as a passion project for something we love, but it also existed as a proof of concept, and since we (more or less) know what we're doing now, our next adventure is going to be much more intricate and ambitious. Girlfriend wants to do a Shin Megami Tensei game, and it's one I've never played and from what I can see it's a pretty straightforward, linear game not unlock Final Fantasy IV. But she's working on the FFIV script as we do the podcast, so we probably will just transition right into Fallout, first. But in any case, for either game we need more voice actors. Girlfriend does a lot of community theatre stuff, so we have some local actors who will be happy to lend their voices, but Fallout has a stupidly huge extensive number of NPCs that have many lines of dialogue. So if YOU guys want your voice to be in Fallout, let me know! You can e-mail us at thespoonybardpodcast@gmail.com or message us on twitter @thespooniest. When I finish the script, I'll have the entire thing online in a handy spreadsheet that will breakdown each character and how many lines they have. You don't have to do a silly voice or anything, you just have to have an okay mic. Like, it doesn't have to be a professional studio setup, but it needs to be better than the XBox Call of Duty thing or whatever.

So, anyway, more on that later. Right now, let's visit THE LAND OF THE SUMMONS!

Get it:

Genre:
Video Games/Radio Drama

Duration:
50 minutes.

Release:

Goons:
Just me.

Social etc:
Twitter | Facebook

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Episode 09: Return to the Overworld

Here is the episode

In this episode we participate in a Yang bang.

Also, we learn that the King of Baron was a summon all this time? The last crystal is right there, ready for the taking, as long as nobody betrays anyone. If all else fails, there's a whale that can take us to the moon.

Only a few episodes of this season left, and then it's on to Fallout. I've finished writing a 100,000 word script and will be recording many actors who will play about 138 total characters. But you can help! If you'd really like to voice a character from the classic Fallout 1, send us a message so we can get it set up!

In the meantime, we love you.

Get it:

Genre:
Video Games/Radio Drama

Duration:
50 minutes.

Release:

Goons:
Just me.

Social etc:
Twitter | Facebook

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Episode 10: To the Moon

Here is the episode

We're two weeks late because of, you know, real life stuff. This is highly unprofessional, but we both work full time jobs AND my partner is doing theatre stuff and other things. I'm just generally lazy. But next season (coming up soon!) we have it set up to where this is not likely to happen. We're amateurs, please believe in us!

Anyway, we're sorry about the delay. It's weird to be so popular that someone asks why there isn't an update. I mean, it was only one person, but it was a person who isn't family! That's progress! Holy smokes. Anyway, this episode, we finally get to the moon! And here comes a whopper of a plot twist that maybe won't surprise anyone because it's kind of a cliche but for 10 year old credburn this was like Vader's paternal revelation.

Get it:

Genre:
Video Games/Radio Drama

Duration:
50 minutes.

Release:

Goons:
Just me.

Social etc:
Twitter | Facebook

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

A radio-drama-esque reenactment of FINAL FANTASY IV using music and sound effects from the game and voicing dialogue exactly as it was written when the game came out. Well, we're actually using a later translation that was used when the game was ported to the Playstation.

Episode 11: The Giant of Babil

Here is the episode

We ran into a long, confusing discussion about what to name this episode. To me, it was obvious, since most of it is spent inside the guts of this big machine. "We should call it, The Giant of Babil," says I to Girlfriend.
"Eh, what?"
"The Giant of Babil."
"Why?"
"It makes sense, doesn't it? That's where we'll be most of the episode."
"I don't understand what vaginas have to do with anything."
"Vaginas?"
"Vagina Battle. Be serious."

It's the penultimate episode, before the crew takes on Zemus and Zeromus and Zeromas and Master Zero and Master Chief and Chief Justice and Justice League and a League of Their Own

Get it:

Genre:
Video Games/Radio Drama

Duration:
50 minutes.

Release:

Goons:
Just me.

Social etc:
Twitter | Facebook

ALSO DUDES if you want to contribute your voice to our next season, we're undertaking Fallout from 1997. We have about half the roles already voiced, but there's quite a few left over. Thanks for all those who contributed already! The thread for that is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3808025

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

A radio-drama-esque reenactment of FINAL FANTASY IV using music and sound effects from the game and voicing dialogue exactly as it was written when the game came out. Well, we're actually using a later translation that was used when the game was ported to the Playstation.

Episode 12: The The Absolute Darkness, the Epitome of Hate

Here is the episode

This is it, the final episode! Holy smokes, this little project took a year and a half to produce. Thanks everyone who listened (and listens; we're not done) to our first season. Our next one is Fallout and it's almost already complete, so unlike this first run it should consistently be released twice a months. The episodes will likely be a bit longer, as well.

But anyway, Episode 12, the final episode, down toward the lunar core we go.

Get it:

Genre:
Video Games/Radio Drama

Duration:
An hour.

Release:

Goons:
Just me.

Social etc:
Twitter | Facebook

ALSO DUDES if you want to contribute your voice to our next season, we're undertaking Fallout from 1997. We have about four fifths of the roles already voiced, but there's quite a few left over. Thanks for all those who contributed already! The thread for that is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3808025

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

A radio-drama-esque reenactment of retro video games using music and sound effects from the game and voicing dialogue as it was written when the game came out.

Season 01 Intermezzo 02

Here is the episode

We have some left over skits and bloopers and poo poo that we never really figured out what to do. This is not a proper episode; it's like an end of season retrospective on the second half of the show, touching on what we learned and what the future will be.

Get it:

Genre:
Video Games/Radio Drama

Duration:
An hour.

Release:

Goons:
Just me.

Social etc:
Twitter | Facebook

ALSO DUDES if you want to contribute your voice to our next season, we're undertaking Fallout from 1997. We have about five sixths of the roles already voiced, but there's a few left over. Thanks for all those who contributed already! The thread for that is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3808025

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

A radio-drama-esque reenactment of FALLOUT using music and sound effects from the game and voicing dialogue exactly as it was written when the game came out.

Episode 01: Into the Wasteland

Here is the episode

Finally! There was more work involved in this than there should have been. Here is Season 02, Episode 01 of the Spoony Bard's Aural Theatre. We're doing 1997's CRPG Fallout this time. It's going to be eleven episodes and features the voice work of myself and my partner as well as a dozen or more goons, and Tony Shalhoub!

Get it:

Genre:
Video Games/Radio Drama

Duration:
This is an hour and a half, but a half hour of it is just a bunch of talking about the podcast.

Release:

Goons:
Well, only me working on it but it features the vocal talents from numerous goons!

Social etc:
Twitter | Facebook

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

A radio-drama-esque reenactment of FALLOUT using music and sound effects from the game and voicing dialogue exactly as it was written when the game came out.

Episode 02: The Hub and Vault 15

Here is the episode

What a nightmare. This week found my partner and I moving and also working and also we're in plays and also a bunch of other poo poo. I actually worked on this only two days and had to rush it out, and it kind of shows. Well, please forgive the awkward quality; I'll upload a better version when I have time. This is still very listenable, by the way. The only problems are, like...Natalia needs to be re-voiced because we used the temporary stand-in lines as we had not time to do others. They're not all bad, but sometimes it's clear the two actors in conversation have imagined the scene differently. Also some of the narration is weird; part of this podcast's mechanic is to preserve the game's faults, including, for instance, this wildly weird conversation wtih one particular guy that just...becomes stupid for no reason. I wanted to cut it, but...I want to leave it, also. Players familiar with Fallout might think, "Oh, it's that guy. I remember him. What a weird conversation."

Get it:

Genre:
Video Games/Radio Drama

Duration:
Like an hour or something.

Release:

Goons:
There are a slew of goons here. It's a goonslew.

Social etc:
Twitter | Facebook

credburn fucked around with this message at 11:36 on May 15, 2017

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

A radio-drama-esque reenactment of FALLOUT using music and sound effects from the game and voicing dialogue as it was written when the game came out.

Episode 03: Junktown

Here is the episode

This is a lot more work than it sounds! Who would have thought that a one-hour-every-two-weeks podcast would require 20+ hours of tedious labor? Well, anyway, this episode our protagonist leaves The Hub behind and heads to Junktown where maybe they'll have a water chip? It doesn't sound likely, but the next possible location is across the entire wasteland.

I hope I mentioned everyone who helped out. This gets drat tricky now because there are fifty people involved and many of them dropped out but only after I'd credited them, and then there were changes and...oh my...

Get it:

Genre:
Video Games/Radio Drama

Duration:
Like an hour or something.

Release:

Goons:

Social etc:
Twitter | Facebook

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

A radio-drama-esque reenactment of FALLOUT using music and sound effects from the game and voicing dialogue as it was written when the game came out.

Episode 04: The City of the Dead

Here is the episode

Phew! I can't explain why, but this episode was by far the hardest one to put together. Fallout's sound effects are handled much more intricately than Final Fantasy. In FF, you just had a kind of "attack" sound effect. In Fallout, you have four: attack lead in, attack, attack connect, target reaction. This one has a good full hour of content! And fifteen minutes of my partner and I talking. You can skip to about 3:45 in if you want to skip our preamble ramble. Thanks to all you wonderful goons for lending your voices. This episode uses I think at least one line from every male contributor (this is the Wasteland and is not safe for women...unless you're Natalia the Groin Puncher.) Also featured: Brad Garrett!

Get it:

Genre:
Video Games/Radio Drama

Duration:
An hour and also a quarter of an hour.

Release:
The 1st and the 15th of every month. Except this coming 1st; we're taking a short break and will return on the 15th of next month.

Goons:

Social etc:
Twitter | Facebook

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Episode 05: Purification

Here is the episode

Well, Natalia has the water chip, so I guess this is the end of the game. OR IS IT

This one is ninety minutes long! Goodness, these are getting bigger every episode. The last fifteen or so minutes is just us two hosts talking about some new developments and uh, honestly just a lot of stuff. You can skip it, of course; there's nothing at the end that pertains to any story development that won't be covered in-show. But it might be worth listening to because we want to encourage listener participation. RPG Rabbit (my co-host and uh, you know. Girlfriend, or whatever) suggests that, if you're following along with this, maybe you want to talk about this particular part of the game, or the game as a whole, or whatever. Write us, post on our Facebook, tweet us. The idea of further participation is fun, and when this podcast becomes super famous you'll have had your stuff read on-air in the earliest incarnation of it.

Oh, and we reached a milestone: WE HAVE AN iTUNES AVERAGE SCORE. All that means is enough people rated us to make that show up. It's hardly an achievement, but for us it's very cathartic.

Get it:
iTunes | Direct download | Website | RSS

Genre:
Video Games/Radio Drama

Duration:
About an hour and a half.

Release:

Goons:
Me and a bunch of goons who contributed their vocal talent.

Social etc:
Twitter | Facebook

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Episode 06: Odd Jobs

Here is the episode

At least it isn't a METHCLAW, amirite?

Natalia has saved her Vault from dying of thirst, so what is her reward? To go out and make something of herself. And also to figure out where the mutants are coming from. There has been some talk of some guy in Old Town who may know something about the mutant source. But there's also a deathclaw to deal with.

Get it:

Genre:
Video Games/Radio Drama

Duration:
About an hour.

Release:

Goons:

Social etc:
Twitter | Facebook

Hey dudes, if you enjoy this podcast, you know we did a twelve episode season of Final Fantasy IV also. Uh, I've been relistening to some of our earlier stuff and so, I want to say, if you do want to check out the first season, please give it a chance. It isn't until around the fourth or fifth episode that we figured out what we were doing. Kinda.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

A radio-drama-esque reenactment of FALLOUT using music and sound effects from the game and voicing dialogue as it was written when the game came out. Our previous episode was a twelve-parter on FINAL FANTASY IV

Episode 07: The Ancient Order and the Horror of Atomic War

Here is the episode

Or: The Glow.

Get it:

Genre:
Video Games/Radio Drama

Duration:
About an hour.

Release:

Goons:

Social etc:
Twitter | Facebook

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Episode 08: The Fool

Here is the episode

Natalia has been captured by the super mutants! Armed with naught but her dog, she must fight her way out and warn the Brotherhood!

Get it:

Genre:
Video Games/Radio Drama

Duration:

Release:

Goons:

Social etc:
Twitter | Facebook

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Episode 09: The Battle For Adytum

Here is the episode

In the LA Boneyard, our protagonist gets mixed up in a turf war, takes down some deathclaws, gains a new companion, and learns the location of the Master.

Get it:

Genre:
Video Games/Radio Drama

Duration:

Release:

Goons:

Social etc:
Twitter | Facebook

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Episode 10: The Master

Here is the episode

It took more than a month longer to get this finished than it should have. Sorry about that, those of you who listen to this. There's no real excuse for it; it takes a lot of work and a lot of real life stuff got in the way and you know, some other stuff and things. Anyway, this is the penultimate episode of the season: in two weeks (probably!) will come the final episode. In this one, Natalia and a small army head to the cathedral to get to the bottom of this cult and its connection to the Master and the mutants.

And thanks again to all the goons who have contributed! I wish I was better at keeping up with this. I'm new at this; next time I will do better. But really, this project couldn't have existed without your help. The next thing we're doing is a smaller Warcraft one, and hopefully the Skies of Arcadia season will be about finished by the end of that, but between that and the next, or maybe before, maybe after, I'm going to do Soul Blazer. It's a pretty short SNES RPG. The thing is, there's only really two characters -- God ("The Master" -- unrelated to the Fallout episode) and the Narrator. Then there are like a thousand other characters, which include people, animals, plants, and even furniture, but they only have one or two lines. So if you're interested in voicing a loving lamp or some poo poo, let me know; that won't be for a while, but it'd be good to get your contact information for when I need to blitzkrieg you with last-minute requests for line readings. My e-mail is calvinredburn at gmail etc etc.

Anyway, Fallout, Episode 10...

Get it:

Genre:
Video Games/Radio Drama

Duration:

Release:

Goons:

Social etc:
Twitter | Facebook

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Episode 11: Vats of Goo

Here is the episode

The final episode of Fallout! Jesus Christ this took forever. I'm sorry, this was supposed to be every two weeks, not every two months, but real life has been very...well, excuses, you know. Anyway, if you're following along, this is the final run of the game. Natalia is heading onward to Mariposa to blow up the mutant facility, but she needs to stop and take care of some other stuff, first. Then there's epilogue, some stats, some other stuff. Thanks everyone who helped -- this podcast isn't ending, we just need to figure out how to do the next season! It's so much work, and we work full time, and I'm also writing a book, and my partner is an actor...I wish we could just get paid to do this, but we're not so Internet-famous yet to have Patreon help us. We don't open eggs on Youtube or anything :\

Get it:

Genre:
Video Games/Radio Drama

Duration:

Release:
This is the last episode!

Goons:

Social etc:
Twitter | Facebook

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Last year my partner and I did a multiple-episode radio-drama-esque reenactment of Final Fantasy IV and Fallout 1. We're currently working on a 9-episode run of Soul Blazer, but in the meantime I wanted to try this other project out. I think this is going to appeal to a real niche of person -- like me. You know, there's that saying...if you can't find what you want, then make it. Or... it's something like that. The message is clear.

This is a kind of radio drama reenactment of Warcraft: Orcs and Humans. Yeah, the real time-strategy.

Basically, this is an attempt to adapt nostalgia into a slightly different medium. We've described our podcast as a kind of "let's play for the ears" and that may be the most true in this example. Anyway, maybe it sucks, maybe not, but if you like it, let me know or let me know how I can improve it.

Get it:
http://thespoonybardpodcast.libsyn.com/

The first four episodes of Warcraft:
http://thespoonybardpodcast.libsyn.com/01-orcs-01-the-swamps-of-sorrow Orcs mission 01
http://thespoonybardpodcast.libsyn.com/02-orcs-02-borderlands Orcs mission 02
http://thespoonybardpodcast.libsyn.com/04-humans-01-regent Humans mission 01
http://thespoonybardpodcast.libsyn.com/04-humans-02-grand-hamlet Humans mission 02

Genre:
Video Games/Radio Drama

Social etc:
Twitter | Facebook

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

RSS | Website

Series 03: Soul Blazer, Episode 01: Grass Valley

Genre: Radio Drama

Duration: around an hour

Release: 1st and 15th of the month

My girlfriend and I adapt old video games into radio dramas. We use local theater actors and generous online people to contribute their voices for the characters within the story. All the dialogue, music and sound effects are taken right from the game; this is an adaptation of the game, voiced in the style of like a fairy tale or something. It's almost kindasorta like a Let's Play but for your ears.

Soul Blazer was an SNES action RPG. Like Diablo, kinda, if you're not really a gamer? The first episode of this seven-episode series takes place in Grass Valley, a lovely little mesa with goats and evil. There were a lot of people who voiced these silly lines; some of them came from here, I think? This is the third game we're doing; the first two were Final Fantasy IV and Fallout 1. So I guess go check those out if you think this is neat. And tell all your friends how neat this is.

credburn fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Oct 18, 2019

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

RSS | Website

Series 03: Soul Blazer, Episode 02: Greenwood

Genre: Radio Drama, Video Games, Theatre
It's like a Let's Play for your ears!

Duration: around an hour

The second (of seven) episode of Soul Blazer! Having defeated METAL MANTIS or whatever his name was in the evil painting by Dr. Leo, the Soul Blazer named BLAZER follows the taint of evil to the lush swampy land of Greenwood, a place where Turbo the dog had built for the protection of all the animals that were eventually stolen by Deathtoll anyway.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

RSS | Website

Series 03: Soul Blazer, Episode 03: St. Elle's
(sometimes St. Elles and sometimes just The Seabed Palace)

Duration: around forty-five minutes

The third (of seven) episode of Soul Blazer! Blazer leaves behind the freed animals of Greenwood and dives knee-deep in the realm of mermaids and gay dolphins. Also features a starving child whose father is really excited about dying on the floating wreckage of a ship.

Next episode: The Mountain of Souls

EDIT: I posted the last update late, and nobody's posted anything since, so as to not spam this unnecessarily, I'll just append the next update to this.

Series 03: Soul Blazer, Episode 04: The Mountain of Souls

In this episode, Blazer dodges snowballs and icicles as he fights to return to the world a community of very tiny mountain folk and their sentient mushrooms.

credburn fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Dec 1, 2019

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

RSS | Website

Series 03: Soul Blazer, Episode 05: Dr. Leo's Laboratory

The fifth (of seven) episode of Soul Blazer! Blazer is getting closer to Magridd Castle, but on the way he must enter Dr. Leo's home and the labyrinthine laboratory below. But where is Dr. Leo? Blazer delves into the scientist's designs, and also a miniature town to search for him and the stones needed to open the World of Evil.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

RSS | Website
Series 03: Soul Blazer, Episode 06: Magridd Castle

We adapt retro video games into derpy radio theatre.

The penultimate episode to the Soul Blazer series! Blazer is now at Magridd castle, where finally he will meet those who were responsible for the great cataclysm that so began his mission. King and Queen Magridd, Dr. Leo, a guard named Dok for some reason, and Lisa all show up for the game's pre-climax get-together.

Here is the episode!

Also: if you like this, tell your friends! I don't like saying "like and share" and all that. We don't make money for what we do, so I hope I don't sound like I'm advertising. I just want to encourage more people to listen to our extremely niche audience.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

RSS | Website

Series 03: Soul Blazer, Episode 07: The World of Evil

The Final Episode of Soul Blazer! Blazer must acquire the aid of the Phoenix and go destroy DEATHTOLL!

Here is the episode!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Hey, my girlfriend and I and her theatre nerd friends have been reading Choose Your Own Adventure books. We're playing them in the vein of a kind of roguelike adventure, and I've added music and sound effects to make the ridiculous adventures even more ridiculous. We've done four so far. They're simple to do. Maybe we'll do all 180+ books?

Episode 001: The Abominable Snowman
Episode 002: Journey Under the Sea
Episode 003: Space and Beyond
Episode 004: The Lost Jewels of Nabooti

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

RSS | Website

A bunch of Choose Your Own Adventure adventures!

We're working on putting together a very large project, but while we wait for some of those things to come together I got this VERY ORIGINAL IDEA that we should "play" Choose Your Own Adventure games. We recorded one a long time ago and then I forgot about it, and then discovered that this isn't really much of an original idea and in fact there are like a thousand podcasts that do this and have done this. BUT WE DO SOMETHING NEAT! We add music and sound effects. Oohhhh

We've done fifteen so far. Might do all 180 or however many there are. Anyway, here is the RSS link. Since these are so um, low-effort to make compared to our normal thing, I don't want to just look like I'm spamming our thing here. I'll maybe post an update when we have fifteen more!

https://thespoonybardpodcast.libsyn.com/

These are the episodes we've done so far:

The Cave of Time
Journey Under the Sea
By Balloon to the Sahara (reissued as Danger in the Desert)
Space and Beyond
"The Mystery of Chimney Rock
(reissued as The Curse of the Haunted Mansion)"
Your Code Name Is Jonah (reissued as Spy Trap)
"The Third Planet from Altair
(reissued as Message from Space; also released as Exploration Infinity)"
Deadwood City
Who Killed Harlowe Thrombey?
The Lost Jewels of Nabooti (reissued as The Lost Jewels)
Mystery of the Maya
Inside UFO 54-40
The Abominable Snowman
Mountain Survival
Journey to Stonehenge
Surf Monkeys

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Hey gang!

I do a podcast where I and guest(s) read through a Choose Your Own Adventure book. The guests make the choices, and when it's over the episode is over. I add music and sound effects to try and create a sort of theatrical thing. I've done about 37 episodes now. Each episode is on average around 25 minutes? Unfortunately the first like thirty episodes are with my ex, with whom I had an incredibly disastrous breakup, but now I'm just carrying on solo until I can find a new cohost. Come revisit some old Choose Your Own Adventure books; they're better and worse than you remember!

E031: The Secret of the Pyramids
E032: Escape!
E033: The First Olympics
E034: The Enchanted Kingdom
E035: Hyperspace
E036: The Mystery of Echo Lodge
E037: Space Patrol
E038: Return to Atlantis

Here are some rando stats about the episodes:

Successes: 17
Failures: 22
Success Rate: 42.74%

Most choices made: 10
Least choices made: 1
Average: 4 per episode

In the old days there was a release schedule of sorts. Now it's just whenever I can find the time and guests who want to participate.

credburn fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Oct 2, 2022

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Oh man! I think that even predates even the term "blog." I used to read that page. Some of my shittiest teenager opinions were formed after spending too much time reading Misanthropic Bitch and Stile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Hey gang!

I used to do a podcast with my (ex)partner where we and a guest(s) read through a Choose Your Own Adventure book. The guests make the choices, and when it's over the episode is over. I'm doing it solo now, and have a few episodes since my last update. I've got two more in the can to be edited. There's no scheduled release date for these things at this point, they're strictly just a hobby thing of mine. Each episode is on average about twenty-five minutes but it varies. The shortest one is nine minutes, the longest is almost an hour.

Episode 39: Give Yourself Goosebumps! The Curse of the Creeping Coffin (https://thespoonybardpodcast.libsyn.com/give-yourself-permadeth-039-the-curse-of-the-creeping-coffin)
Episode 40: Vampire Express (https://thespoonybardpodcast.libsyn.com/permadeth-040-vampire-express)
Episode 41: Trouble on Planet Earth (https://thespoonybardpodcast.libsyn.com/permadeth-041-trouble-on-planet-earth)

Hey goons hit me up if you want to participate! You just need a mic. Doesn't even need to be like a great mic.

e: by "hit me up" I guess I mean e-mail me: calvinredburn@gmail.com

credburn fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Aug 1, 2023