Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Doomsday Jesus posted:

I wanted to share my new favorite radar app. Weather Radar Tile uses NOAA/NWS radars and weather forecasts. You can set the tile to display and update with your local radar, as well as multiple tiles for multiple locations.

Radar isn't as high definition as others, but I feel it is better data.

I've been pretty happy with the new Bing Weather app, switched to that exclusively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

Maneki Neko posted:

I've been pretty happy with the new Bing Weather app, switched to that exclusively.

I use that for forecasts, but I do not like the radar. I prefer the NWS radars as they tend to be more accurate. Both apps are great!

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
Welp, wrong thread!

OldPueblo fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Aug 19, 2013

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Anyone else getting insane in the membrane battery drain after using the latest version of Nokia Drive? I'm on the HTC 8X, running the GDR2 update.

If I use it for 5 minutes, and exit out of it using the back button, it runs my battery down to zero in an hour. From a full charge.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

disable the background task?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

EvilMoFo posted:

disable the background task?

Already done.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Anyone else getting insane in the membrane battery drain after using the latest version of Nokia Drive? I'm on the HTC 8X, running the GDR2 update.

If I use it for 5 minutes, and exit out of it using the back button, it runs my battery down to zero in an hour. From a full charge.

I use map apps very sparingly for this reason. With gMaps, I feel like I need to powercycle my 8X everytime I use that app to avoid what happened to you, but it's always been this way ever since I've had my phone. It's very frustrating.

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Aug 20, 2013

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Quote is not edit, sorry.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
So I don't know how new this is (I just noticed it) but Chaos Rings is now available on the Windows Phone store:

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/chaos-rings/eba66c26-8fa0-4f07-bef8-ff03f7bce73d

I tried a bit of the demo and it seemed interesting. Basically a PSX era JRPG but with better graphics and less bullshit. Any word on the length?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

I had not stumbled across these before, but it looks like Nokia Poland has been paying a guy to write a bunch of decent free utility apps:

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/store/publishers?publisherId=Wunderman%2BPolska&appId=a11aae5a-b595-4a87-ae4d-9dea0de375d1

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
Is there any way to share photos on Flickr? Pixl doesn't seem to want to work, and I'm hoping I can find a way to mark a bunch and share them the way I could in Symbian.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

WorldWarWonderful posted:

Is there any way to share photos on Flickr? Pixl doesn't seem to want to work, and I'm hoping I can find a way to mark a bunch and share them the way I could in Symbian.

The Flickr app MS made lets you do bulk uploads, but doesn't have any sharing stuff in it that I've seen.

I just use post-by-email to upload and tweet in one fell swoop, its the fastest method I've ever found.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Tivac posted:

The Flickr app MS made lets you do bulk uploads, but doesn't have any sharing stuff in it that I've seen.

I just use post-by-email to upload and tweet in one fell swoop, its the fastest method I've ever found.

:downs: This solution works exactly the way I want it to, and it also means I don't have to install another app. Thanks!

WorldWarWonderful fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 2, 2013

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
I've started using WordPress and wonder if there's a better blogging app for WP8.

FTJ
Mar 1, 2003

BTB's Monty Python pro-star!
In the MS Facebook app is there any way to view photo albums from groups you are a member of?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

NextGen reader is free for the next 24 hours, great Feedly client!

http://www.wpcentral.com/nextmatters-wpcentral-team-make-nextgen-reader-free

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

What I really want from a podcast app (which is what I use NextGen for) though is an integrated mp3 player, with backgrounding and all that. Is that just not possible and you have to use the built-in barebones things, or is there an app out there that does that?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

What I really want from a podcast app (which is what I use NextGen for) though is an integrated mp3 player, with backgrounding and all that. Is that just not possible and you have to use the built-in barebones things, or is there an app out there that does that?

Are you outside the US? The native podcast functionality isn't terrible if you're in the US.

What apps have you looked at?

Two popular ones are:

SlapDash
PODCASTS!

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I saw that Camscanner just became available foI use my camera a lot for taking photos of documents that I need to archive for some dumb purpose, but this does it much, much better than I just the camera. Free, but limits you to 200mb of online storage for documents.uments.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
After switching back from my 8X to my iPhone 4 for a few months, I'm actually happy I decided to come back to the 8X (my iPhone finally bit the dust).

I'm surprised how much I missed the Windows Phone. Seems like there were a few system updates while I was away too!

Any short list of "must have" apps that have come along in the last 4-6 months or so?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

drat, looks like first Nimblebit game (published by Lucasarts) has made it's way to Windows Phone:

Star Wars: Tiny Death Star (basically just a Star Wars themed Tiny Tower)

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/star-wars-tiny-death-star/ed04c1b1-f34e-40e0-b997-67cbac8d0ad5

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

So I'm getting really tired of my windows phone. I have a Nokia Lumia 920 and it has caused me nothing but trouble, particularly when it comes to navigation. I recently downloaded Google maps, which then prompted me to download GMaps+. All GMaps+ does is show me on its (admittedly awesome) map where something is, but when I select "give me directions", it opens the Nokia Maps app, and none of the information transfers, meaning I have to plug it all back in anyway.

It's frustrating to say the least, especially since Nokia Maps sucks rear end and gets really confused really easily. Are there any alternatives?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Dirty Job posted:

So I'm getting really tired of my windows phone. I have a Nokia Lumia 920 and it has caused me nothing but trouble, particularly when it comes to navigation. I recently downloaded Google maps, which then prompted me to download GMaps+. All GMaps+ does is show me on its (admittedly awesome) map where something is, but when I select "give me directions", it opens the Nokia Maps app, and none of the information transfers, meaning I have to plug it all back in anyway.

It's frustrating to say the least, especially since Nokia Maps sucks rear end and gets really confused really easily. Are there any alternatives?

I think Nokia maps is the best on WP8 but I'm sure someone else will chime in.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Dirty Job posted:

I don't have any problem getting by with Nokia maps, but what you're experiencing with gmaps also doesn't sound like how I've ever seen the app work.

How are you getting directions? If I search for something in GMaps and tap on the name it comes up with details. I can select routes, route here and directions come up all inside the app.

EDIT:

Nevermind, I'm using gmaps, not gmaps+. It appears that gmaps+ is just retarded. Yay for no official Google Maps app!

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 7, 2013

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
Try this maybe?

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/copilot-gps/ec860657-f89d-4740-866b-97c44b49a20c

Copilot GPS

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Looks like an official Vine app is making it's way through the store (link currently doesn't work, but is from the vine.co page)

http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=f9e6f07e-e47e-47f5-806d-55d4f79f2b60

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I bet they'd have saved money by hiring the 6sec guy and giving him some kind of support

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Official Instagram app is out now too (in beta form, with limited features):

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/instagram-beta/3222a126-7f20-4273-ab4a-161120b21aea

Start complaining everyone!

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I bet they'd have saved money by hiring the 6tag guy and giving him some kind of support

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Looks like a bunch of Disney stuff is free at the moment:

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/collections/wonderful-world-of-disney/0ab191c1-c63f-49ac-b695-0b2754030c66

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
Mint is up: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/mint/7b5bbe58-6089-41a4-909e-f0089fda5dce

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Yay, I was in on the beta for it, glad to see it finally make it out the door!

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
I've been developing a PSN (AKA: Playstation Network) app for Windows Phone, currently called FoulPlay. Here is a youtube video showing off what I have so far. As long as you have a PSN account, you should be able to use this. You can manage your friends list, send messages, view game and party session invites (something I totally forgot to show off) and a lot more.

I want to get a beta version out first so I can see what improvements I need to make and bugs I need to fix. If anyone is interested, send me your Microsoft account email and I'll add you to the beta list. I should have something running very soon, and what I have so far should be up on my github in a few days.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Plex updated their app, and it's now free to Nokia Lumia phones. I haven't used it for video, but it works well as a way to stream a few hundred gigs of music whenever I want to listen to something random.

http://wmpoweruser.com/plex-for-windows-phone-updated-now-free-to-nokia-lumia-owners/

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
What's a good twitter client?

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

Dr Tran posted:

What's a good twitter client?

I like rowi because it does a good job of actually supporting lists. Most twitter clients are garbage at that.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG
Another vote for Rowi. Their support was very responsive when I had a dumb question.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
I find the official one decent enough these days. Its the only one I've found to do tweet threads properly.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
I use the official one. Could never quite get the hang of Rowi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

As much as I like any of the 3rd party clients (and I think Rowi was my favorite), I end up back at the official client just because it seems to support things first, and Twitter being dickholes to 3rd party devs inevitably makes users of those apps have a crappier user experience. :(

• Locked thread