Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
This is a terrible workaround, but one I've been using a lot lately in the car is Copy This. Basically it allows voice dictation everywhere on the phone via recording directly to the clipboard. You then just paste it into your text field.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/copy-this/a4e0106b-8a1a-4ebf-98e7-f6007705312c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

I really like Twabbit as a twitter client.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Well looks like Rowi is done, thanks jerks at Twitter :mad:

http://www.wpcentral.com/rowi-twitter-app-comes-end-windows-phone

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005
Really dislike no swipe for next song in the Xbox Music app. Hunting for a tiny soft button is less that desirable when driving, swipe up unlock + swipe was simple and elegant. Going to keep using the stock app.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Is there an app that will let me do a text search of songs in the music library?

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Maneki Neko posted:

Well looks like Rowi is done, thanks jerks at Twitter :mad:

http://www.wpcentral.com/rowi-twitter-app-comes-end-windows-phone

Man, that was the most perfect client :(

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Nevermind, I am dumb.

Reynold fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Dec 21, 2013

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

BabyMauler posted:

Really dislike no swipe for next song in the Xbox Music app. Hunting for a tiny soft button is less that desirable when driving, swipe up unlock + swipe was simple and elegant. Going to keep using the stock app.

You've got to be kidding me. They didn't include the most basic navigation method from the old music app? Really, I just :psyduck:

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Microsoft released some "ports" of some of their Windows 8 Games, all free, and Xbox Live enabled:

Microsoft Solitaire Collection

Microsoft Mahjong

Microsoft Minesweeper (I believe this was previously a thing, but this is a OMG NEW version)

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Nextgen Reader is currently free for a limited time:

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/nextgen-reader/643381de-4724-e011-854c-00237de2db9e

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Just in time for my free trial to expire, thanks. :tipshat:

And Minesweeper syncs with the Windows 8 version over *~the cloud~* if that's a thing that matters to anyone.

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005

Maneki Neko posted:

Microsoft released some "ports" of some of their Windows 8 Games, all free, and Xbox Live enabled:

Solitaire collection is fun but it is an amazing battery drain and turns my 928 into a portable hand warmer through half a game of Klondike!

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib
Yeah, seriously. My 920 went from 50% to 22% lickety split when I tried it.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Maneki Neko posted:

Microsoft Mahjong

Microsoft Minesweeper (I believe this was previously a thing, but this is a OMG NEW version)

And they have adverts. (Mainly for the other games...)

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Sri.Theo posted:

And they have adverts. (Mainly for the other games...)

As do the windows 8 versions sadly :(

MagusProject
Apr 20, 2008
Is there a way to get the numberpad for texting on a Windows Phone? I haven't seen any in my short searching, and the individual keyboard buttons are too tiny for my huge ape hands.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

MagusProject posted:

Is there a way to get the numberpad for texting on a Windows Phone? I haven't seen any in my short searching, and the individual keyboard buttons are too tiny for my huge ape hands.

That's supposed to be "smart" and context sensitive, I've only ever seen it show up in the to field of the messaging app when you bring up the number option on the keyboard.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

MagusProject posted:

Number pad...? Like T9 stuff?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I'm assuming he means the keyboard that shows only numbers and period (calculator style) that shows up when a text entry box specifies is wants only numbers. I really wish they would implement a hybrid approach where hitting "&123" key gave you a keyboard with the numberpad layout on one side and the symbols on the other rather than having numbers across the top.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Do any of the shortcut tile apps have a shortcut for tap+send?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
My wife, new to the smartphone world, wants a notepad app that is as simple as it gets. Grocery lists and to-dos and that's about it. Any suggestions?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

How about OneNote? It should've been installed already and does all the basic stuff, including checklists and online syncing.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Autumncomet posted:

How about OneNote? It should've been installed already and does all the basic stuff, including checklists and online syncing.

Whoa what the poo poo? How did I never notice that!? That's perfect, thanks!

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

BonoMan posted:

Whoa what the poo poo? How did I never notice that!? That's perfect, thanks!

If you do the family room thing you can even easily share onenote with each other.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
San Andreas is finally out for Windows Phone:
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/gta-san-andreas/c011568d-1578-4d0a-b1cc-9ab7daf58681?signin=true
2.5GB download, I'm curious to see how it runs. I just played it through on PC 2 months ago. :doh: Requires 1GB RAM I believe.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

quote:

Nokia Lumia: 1520, 1320, 822, 820, 810, HTC: 8XT
I can't play it on my 928 but I could play on my mothers 822.
:wtc:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I have a Lumia 1020 and although it isn't listed it works just fine. I'm pretty sure people are playing it on the 92x just fine.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Is there any reason the Windows Phone Facebook app (even the beta) is so poo poo? Chatting with people on my Nexus 7 or iPod touch updates quickly and automatically. Doing the same on WP needs a manual refresh. It's like 1998 or something.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is there any reason the Windows Phone Facebook app (even the beta) is so poo poo? Chatting with people on my Nexus 7 or iPod touch updates quickly and automatically. Doing the same on WP needs a manual refresh. It's like 1998 or something.

Good Enough™

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I wish I knew. If you both are set to "online", the built-in windows live integration works better than the Facebook app :/

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Anybody know of a good spanish/english dictionary app?

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I've been using the default Bing Translator, you can download an offline language pack for Spanish<->English. There might be a better one, though.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Wheezle posted:

Good Enough™

So yeah the Facebook Messenger app is out for WP now which is nice, but there are some circumstances where it doesn't update. For instance, I'll be in a conversation and lock my phone from that screen. When I get a new message and go straight from my lock screen back to that message screen, it hasn't updates. I have to back out to my list of contacts and then go back in to the conversation.

Anyone else getting this?

It's frustrating that Windows Phone continues to have buggy or less feature-rich apps than their Android or iOS equivalents.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

WattsvilleBlues posted:

It's frustrating that Windows Phone continues to have buggy or less feature-rich apps than their Android or iOS equivalents.
When is MS going to pony us and flat out bribe people to make better apps?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

BigBoss posted:

When is MS going to pony us and flat out bribe people to make better apps?

Been there done that. MS gave $100 for any app several times in the WP8 era before that they gave out phones for any possible app which is how they inflated the number of apps quickly. If you had an app for the W8 launch they gave you a 2k computer for free. Also the do in house dev or party for specific outside dev. I believe MS paid 100% of the bill to develop Pandora in addition to replacing the list advertising revenue.

If you pitch a WP or W8 app directly to MS they will pay you to make it. This is in addition to Nokia's programs to pay people to make apps.

When you have no market share no one cares. Android was the same way until it got a large market share.

Sorry until the let android apps on WP the apps will be horrid even if they get a big share of the anything but the US and EU market. I believe the flickr app was directly paid for by MS which is why it said it was for WP7 for years after WP8. No one at yahoo cared or probably even had the setup to fix it.

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Stick100 posted:

I believe the flickr app was directly paid for by MS which is why it said it was for WP7 for years after WP8. No one at yahoo cared or probably even had the setup to fix it.
I meant more like the Flickr thing. They could make sure Twitter had the "proper resources" to allocate towards a WP 8.1 app for the next year. I'm actually surprised they haven't done that for the bigger apps. They have the money, and I know Microsoft isn't too proud to do something like that.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

WattsvilleBlues posted:

So yeah the Facebook Messenger app is out for WP now which is nice, but there are some circumstances where it doesn't update. For instance, I'll be in a conversation and lock my phone from that screen. When I get a new message and go straight from my lock screen back to that message screen, it hasn't updates. I have to back out to my list of contacts and then go back in to the conversation.

Anyone else getting this?

Do you have it set for Wifi connections to be continuous? I wonder if that affects anything.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
I am glad the Awful! app updated, but I am not so happy I have to login nearly everytime I go to use the app.

Bug or working as intended?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

CharlesM posted:

Do you have it set for Wifi connections to be continuous? I wonder if that affects anything.

Yeah, WiFi is continuous.

Doomsday Jesus posted:

I am glad the Awful! app updated, but I am not so happy I have to login nearly everytime I go to use the app.

Bug or working as intended?

You'd be better posting problems with the app in the WP Awful app thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3460814

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

We finally got Super Hexagon: http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=a980e4ec-eaa1-46ea-a659-94bcb5c01eeb

Really fun game. It's free with $1.49 IAP to remove ads. Seems a bit different from the iOS version with regard to leveling up, but I haven't played that version in a while.

• Locked thread