Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chamook
Nov 17, 2006

wheeeeeeeeeeeeee
I'd love to test, live id is my username at live.com :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
Yay!

Mine is atomicshepard at gmail.com

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

quote:

AtomD
Chamook
barren_sky
ratbert90

Here's the marketplace link to access the application:

Awful Beta

Thanks for testing it out, feedback is more than welcome.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

bootleg robot posted:

Just found out about this feature, and my Dev account hasn't expired yet, so...

In order to participate in the Awful beta, post your email address here. The address you submit must be the same email you used for your Windows LiveID.

homercles82 @ live dot com

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus posted:

homercles82 @ live dot com

Added.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
I'll give it a try if it's not too late

goldandapager at hotmail dot com

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

bootleg robot posted:

Added.

When I click the link from my phone it opens marketplace but says the app isn't available. Do I need a developer account?

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
Bootleg, can you publish it to all regions?
Zune says I can't use this app in mine...

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus posted:

When I click the link from my phone it opens marketplace but says the app isn't available. Do I need a developer account?

You don't need to be a dev. Even though the deep link works, apparently it takes a few more hours for the app to be readily available. You should be able to download it now, I just verified it on my phone.

quote:

Bootleg, can you publish it to all regions?
Zune says I can't use this app in mine...

How to provide the beta to all markets doesn't seem very obvious. All of that information is specified in the pricing phase of the app submission process (which the private beta process skips). I'll investigate some more and try to make it available to you.

quote:

goldandapager at hotmail

Added.

bootleg robot fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 28, 2011

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

bootleg robot posted:

How to provide the beta to all markets doesn't seem very obvious. All of that information is specified in the pricing phase of the app submission process (which the private beta process skips). I'll investigate some more and try to make it available to you.

I don't know what you did, but it's working now. Thanks.
And thanks a lot for all your work on this. It's definitely going to be pinned come final release.

I feel like a dick posting bugs but
0001: I can't post... For some reason the post button is grayed out...

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

AtomD posted:

I feel like a dick posting bugs but
0001: I can't post... For some reason the post button is grayed out...

Same here. Probably intended or not coded yet.

If there could be some sort of separation between posts that would help reading posts. Is there a way to make a long press bring down a menu to quote a particular post? I think that would be clean.

Also, it tells me that there are new posts in a previously viewed thread but when I tap the thread it always opens to the OP. In addition to that if there would be a way to make previously read posts be in a different color that would be helpful, maybe a light blue?

Love the app so far and I am certain you have thought of these.

I will post any other bugs, issues, or suggestions here.

EDIT:

Cannot pinch zoom on images nor long press to save them. Not sure if that is allowed.

Also, sometimes I get an error that the remote server could not be contacted and it closes.

Doomsday Jesus fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 28, 2011

Maxxx
Apr 12, 2006
WHAT
the.maxxx at gmail.com would like to provide feedback on the app

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus posted:

*words*

Yeah, things that are grayed out are simply placeholders at the moment, as their functionality hasn't been implemented yet. My primary concern was to at least get something out there that lets wp7 goons read SA on-the-go. Other features will definitely come :).

Now on to the bugs and suggestions you posted:

• Pinch, zoom, and save images. I plan on letting the built in browser handle all images and links, where you can manipulate and save media.

• Separation of posts. The post header (which contains the poster's username, avatar, and post date) was intended to serve as the separator between posts. I figured the large font and weight of the header would make it easy to discern where a new post begins. Since MetroUI is mostly text based, I was trying to avoid using gridlines if possible. Would a larger header be sufficient? I am very open to ideas!

• Long press to quote. Currently, if you long press the header, a quote menu should popup. Not implemented yet, though!

• Jump to last post from thread list. Currently, the app is just simply scraping what information it can from the thread list page for a given forum. I have an idea to get that implemented, though.

• Previously read posts a different color. I can do that. I like the idea of making them a lighter blue (I'll pick another color for those who prefer the classic theme). The font color for quotes are currently blue -- I'm open to ideas as to how to present quoted content from regular content, without cluttering up the screen.

• Remote connection error. Can you tell me where you are in the application when this error occurs (forum list, thread list, post list, etc.)?

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Keep it coming, as I'll be compiling a list and will implement them on the next beta push. I can make nightlies available too, but I think only sideloaders (devs) will be able to use them.

quote:

Maxxx

Added.

Chamook
Nov 17, 2006

wheeeeeeeeeeeeee
It looks like apostrophes aren't encoded properly or something, I get a diamond with a question mark in it instead.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Chamook posted:

It looks like apostrophes aren't encoded properly or something, I get a diamond with a question mark in it instead.

This was an issue in the Android Awful app. No idea if they corrected it or not.

bootleg robot posted:

[*]Separation of posts. The post header (which contains the poster's username, avatar, and post date) was intended to serve as the separator between posts. I figured the large font and weight of the header would make it easy to discern where a new post begins. Since MetroUI is mostly text based, I was trying to avoid using gridlines if possible. Would a larger header be sufficient? I am very open to ideas!

[*]Remote connection error. Can you tell me where you are in the application when this error occurs (forum list, thread list, post list, etc.)?[/list]

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Keep it coming, as I'll be compiling a list and will implement them on the next beta push. I can make nightlies available too, but I think only sideloaders (devs) will be able to use them.

Added.

The remote connection error occured sometimes when opening a thread. I can try and replicate it to get more information for you.

I think that larger headings would make it easier to view posts.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
Is there a way to exit the app (or am I just retarded)?

I kept pressing the back button but it would never close the app and I didn't see an "exit" option.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Gold and a Pager posted:

Is there a way to exit the app (or am I just retarded)?

I kept pressing the back button but it would never close the app and I didn't see an "exit" option.

Nope, definitely a bug. Use the Windows button for now.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Going to ask here because last time I asked something in the zune thread it never got answered and if anyone has a zune it's someone in here.

So the battery in my zune80gb died, i may or may not have got pissed off and threw it and broke the hard drive in it? That's what i'm trying to figure out. I replaced the battery and it powers on now again. The zune logo appears and it looks like it is loading, but goes to a blank screen. Decided to format the device and that looked like it was going great. When trying to reinstall the software it gives me an error code saying there is not enough space...but i'm pretty sure i just formatted it and even if I didn't there was 16gb of space left if I remember right.

Could I even get to this point if the hard drive was broke? Or is the hard drive trashed? Checked out prices on amazon for another 80gb or a hd64gb and prices are ridiculous. My focus just doesn't hold enough music to satisfy me and i love the zune service :smith:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

katkillad2 posted:

My focus just doesn't hold enough music to satisfy me and i love the zune service :smith:

I'm pretty sure it's safe these days to use the Focus's SD slot to full effect -- I was hitting a pretty nasty restart bug when I originally tried using it, but ever since NoDo dropped it's worked without a hitch. You just have to make sure your SD card itself is up to snuff. I know this isn't technically answering your Zune question, but it is a potential solution to your problem.

Yeah though the main WP7 thread might have been a better place to put this :)

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

katkillad2 posted:

Going to ask here because last time I asked something in the zune thread it never got answered and if anyone has a zune it's someone in here.

So the battery in my zune80gb died, i may or may not have got pissed off and threw it and broke the hard drive in it? That's what i'm trying to figure out. I replaced the battery and it powers on now again. The zune logo appears and it looks like it is loading, but goes to a blank screen. Decided to format the device and that looked like it was going great. When trying to reinstall the software it gives me an error code saying there is not enough space...but i'm pretty sure i just formatted it and even if I didn't there was 16gb of space left if I remember right.

Could I even get to this point if the hard drive was broke? Or is the hard drive trashed? Checked out prices on amazon for another 80gb or a hd64gb and prices are ridiculous. My focus just doesn't hold enough music to satisfy me and i love the zune service :smith:

Oh man you're going to hate this. A friend of mine, about a year and a half ago, gave me the battery and harddrive out of his old Zune80 because he wasn't going to use it anymore (I think he damaged the case or something and was taking it apart to put it in a new case -they still worked fine). After holding on to it for so long I'm pretty sure I threw them away 2 months ago when I switched offices :(. I'll look for you tomorrow though just to be sure.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

bootleg robot posted:

Nope, definitely a bug. Use the Windows button for now.

None of the forums are loading in the app at all tonight. I know my connection is solid as I am posting this via my Focus that is connected to WiFi. I noticed the other night that some forums would load while others wouldn't. I am not able to load any.

I also remember the awful android app was not displaying subforums. Is there any way to implement subforums?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

loquacius posted:

Yeah though the main WP7 thread might have been a better place to put this :)

Yea, i'm an idiot and didn't mean to post this in the app thread. Sorry for making GBS threads the thread up even more than I intended to. If I could eliminate the use of a mp3 player with my WP7 phone that would be great, i'll have to check out the highest capacity SD cards people are using successfully. I've just got a shitload of music.

BonoMan posted:

Oh man you're going to hate this. A friend of mine, about a year and a half ago, gave me the battery and harddrive out of his old Zune80 because he wasn't going to use it anymore (I think he damaged the case or something and was taking it apart to put it in a new case -they still worked fine). After holding on to it for so long I'm pretty sure I threw them away 2 months ago when I switched offices :(. I'll look for you tomorrow though just to be sure.

Originally i thought the battery was the only problem, so I replaced that but now it wont install the software after a format so i'm assuming I just need a hard drive. So if you find the hard drive feel free to pm me or email me at dustinmarcum@gmail.com and I will try to give you a fair price!

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus posted:

None of the forums are loading in the app at all tonight. I know my connection is solid as I am posting this via my Focus that is connected to WiFi. I noticed the other night that some forums would load while others wouldn't. I am not able to load any.

I also remember the awful android app was not displaying subforums. Is there any way to implement subforums?

As long as a subforum has a forum id (which they all do if I'm not mistaken), then the app should display them properly. I just made a static list of all forums and subforms in the code. It's possible (regrettably) that I might have missed some.

Which subforums did you have problems displaying?

Also, I wish it were possible for me to push updates during a beta, but according to MS, I have to end the beta and begin a new one with updated code. I'm thinking of letting the beta ride out until I actually put it up on the public marketplace -- at least there can I push bug fixes as they come.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

It may have been a server issue the other night. Any forums that I choose are opening tonight.

I cannot see WOW:Goon Squad in the list.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend
Orbital is a pretty fun game. Good time waster!

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Free Ringtones is a pretty good ringtone finder. Found a great version of the SMB theme. It is weird though that it censors the word "bloody". It took me a while to find a version of Bloody Tears from Castlevania.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/apps/46a064d2-1375-4052-94f6-80da09f76c86

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
How about Vable Browser

It's pretty awesome, it has a mode where you swipe down or up to show you the url bar or you can keep it on top at all time, and also an option to swipe left or right to go to the next or previous tab, or to a tab page.

I like it a lot more than IE already

MrDude
Jun 23, 2011

jwoven posted:

How about Vable Browser

It's pretty awesome, it has a mode where you swipe down or up to show you the url bar or you can keep it on top at all time, and also an option to swipe left or right to go to the next or previous tab, or to a tab page.

I like it a lot more than IE already

I love you infinitely. With a bit of diddling, this seems really close to what the browser was before Mango (+Tab and View Tabs visible without having to navigate a menu) and it also has even more screen real-estate than the Mango browser through the auto-hide UI. Side-swiping for tabs seems to be tuned pretty well, I'm not accidentally triggering it or anything. I'm using the Trial at the moment, where the ads only show up in the menu or something I think, but it definitely seems worth plunking two bucks into.

Side note, I'm not sure how popular Slacker Radio (browser version) is in general these days, but it's a free music thing that's very similar to Pandora. You create stations based on artists or songs, and it plays similar things, and you get a half dozen song skips per [some period of time I'm unsure of]. They give you ads every now and then, but when Pandora was limiting how much you could listen per month or whatever, I started using it and it stuck. It has a few neat features in-browser, like allowing you to set a slider for how obscure you want songs to be, but honestly I haven't messed with it in a while.

Doing a quick Marketplace and Google search, it doesn't look like Pandora's got an app (though perhaps some HTML5 capabilities?), and the Slacker app is... workable. In the background, it runs fine, which is how you'll use it 95% of the time. The app itself is a little sluggish and unresponsive, and offers relatively few features compared to the browser, not allowing station customization beyond searching for a single artist/song and adding it to a Favorites list, or even genre stations. You can access more advanced Custom Stations that you made in the browser, though. Internet radio on a phone is pretty much the apex of human civilization, so I'd rec it, 'specially since limited storage is obviously an issue for many people in the WP7 thread.

An account is recommended (possibly required? I don't recall), and doing so in the browser is recommended anyways so you can test out some of the Custom Station functionality, such as adding multiple artists/songs and artist obscurity.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

New version of the forum reader:

- 100% less annoying way to read threads!
- jump to last seen post!
- replying!

Still working on:

- quoting