Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Endomondo is a nice sports tracking app. Looks Metro (unlike Runkeeper) and works well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

ratbert90 posted:

Actually with everything that exploded when Lediur upgraded the app 7.1, I may have to start from scratch.
Theoretically, there shouldn't be much at all breakage. All my apps do just fine immediately after converting to 7.1.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

bootleg robot posted:

That's 28 pt. Anything larger than that, and post content starts getting cut off due to the texture size limit.
You'll be facing that anyway with large posts in megathreads. You should consider splitting posts into multiple content elements hosted in their own stackpanels (multiple textblocks in a panel, each block will be its own texture), starting a given post length. I think separating images out of textblocks also improves rendering, means you should put text sections before, between and after images into their own content elements and images as plain images, all in stackpanels.

I seriously hope Microsoft's going to forcefully introduce DirectX and drop OpenGL ES. I had to introduce tiled images to bypass the limit in my application.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Nov 14, 2011

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Myrddin Emrys posted:

My first (free) WP7 app just got released to the marketplace!
http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/apps/9d992395-59ab-4920-bf5a-6199573de6e9
Bunch of suggestions for its visual design:
- First screen: Get rid of the frame around the graph.
- Second screen: Use accent color for the data values, maybe bold font for the description labels to remove the double colons. Maybe the ad on the bottom to match most other apps? Make it say "No. of days tracked" instead of "# of days..."
- Third screen: Align the date field with the list below it. Maybe try to align the "lbs" with the entry field, possibly formatting it as if it'd belong to it.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Myrddin Emrys posted:

Thanks! I'm actually working on version 1.1 right now. The ads are on top because I'm still learning how the UI layout stuff works in XAML, I originally tried to place it on the bottom but the other elements just overlapped it, so I put it on the top and that seemed to work.
Depends whether you're using a StackPanel or Grid for layout.

If I had to guess, the data's put as TextBlocks in a Grid. You could nest that in another Grid with just two rows. Put the data grid on row 0, the ad on row 1 with VerticalAlignment to Bottom.

Myrddin Emrys posted:

The accent color is a great idea, I'll see if I can do that.
Silverlight comes with predefined system styles, that are adjusted to system colors on the fly.

<TextBlock Style="{StaticResource PhoneTextAccentStyle}">...</TextBlock>

That'd do it. All explicit styles come with margins, tho. You might have to override them, if necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

You need to make sure you've set the row and column attributes correctly. If controls seem to be overlapping, they're not set correctly, both to the same value making controls land in the same cell, or not at all.

code:
<Grid>
    <Grid.RowDefinitions>
        <RowDefinition Height="*" />
        <RowDefinition Height="Auto" />
    </Grid.RowDefinitions>

<Grid Grid.Row="0">
        <Grid.RowDefinitions>
            <RowDefinition Height="24" />
        </Grid.RowDefinitions>

<TextBlock Grid.Row="0">...</TextBlock>
        <TextBlock Grid.Row="1">...</TextBlock>
        <TextBlock Grid.Row="2">...</TextBlock>
    </Grid>

<AdControl Grid.Row="1" />
</Grid>
As far RowDefinitions and ColumnDefinitions go, the asterisk tells the engine to split the rows and columns into even parts where possible, the Auto tells it to use the minimum size. If you have one asterisked row and an auto row, putting your content in the first row and the ad in the second row should push the ad automatically to the bottom and let the rest of the content have all space.

As far as inline formatting goes, that works by wrapping text sections in a TextBlock in Span's.

• Locked thread