Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Hey ratbert90, I've also cranked out an Awful app:

I don't have it hosted online yet, but perhaps I'll convert my ViewThread page into a UserControl that can be ported over to your project. I'm crazy busy these days, so if that helps speed up getting a working forum reader going I'm all for it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Almost done here; I just need to implement spoiler text parsing, and how to handle authentication (help!) and the beta will be ready to ship out!

How do you guys like the quotes? As far as the color goes, I prefer white text over a black background, personally (Focus user, here)...

ratbert90 posted:

Not only is yours better than mine, but probably has a lot cleaner code, feel free to send it my way so I will be a lot less angry!

Aduskett @ gmail .com

Thanks and I will totally help on this!

Haha, I'm not so sure about clean code, but I'll do my best to make it readable and extendable. My email is nathanisaac at gmail dot com. The rest of the week is going to be pretty busy so I'll try to get in touch.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Broken Loose posted:

Is there a possible way you can include color scheme options? I'm a Focus user myself and I use white on black to save battery most of the time.

Yeah, I can add theme options to satisfy both Focus and non-Focus users.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

http://www.mediafire.com/?1d00wg2p8nafhzv

Okay sideloaders, have at it. It's rough, but it's usable. A couple of things:

- You'll have to log back in every time you completely exit the application. For now, you can enter your username and password once and then save it. From then on it's just a matter of hitting the login button.

- Bookmarks are not implemented.

- Favorites are not implemented.

- You might see some decoding issues on some posts.

- Although you can see how many new posts have been added to a thread since your last visit (currently only shows up to 100, but I'll have it display the actual figure), the command to take you it has not been implemented.

That's about all I can think of at the moment. Feel free to post any bugs, errors, or ideas. Thanks!

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

AtomD posted:

So you still have to pay the $99 Dev fee if you want to upload to the beta marketplace?
That sucks.

Just found out about this feature, and my Dev account hasn't expired yet, so...

In order to participate in the Awful beta, post your email address here. The address you submit must be the same email you used for your Windows LiveID.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

quote:

AtomD
Chamook
barren_sky
ratbert90

Here's the marketplace link to access the application:

Awful Beta

Thanks for testing it out, feedback is more than welcome.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus posted:

homercles82 @ live dot com

Added.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus posted:

When I click the link from my phone it opens marketplace but says the app isn't available. Do I need a developer account?

You don't need to be a dev. Even though the deep link works, apparently it takes a few more hours for the app to be readily available. You should be able to download it now, I just verified it on my phone.

quote:

Bootleg, can you publish it to all regions?
Zune says I can't use this app in mine...

How to provide the beta to all markets doesn't seem very obvious. All of that information is specified in the pricing phase of the app submission process (which the private beta process skips). I'll investigate some more and try to make it available to you.

quote:

goldandapager at hotmail

Added.

bootleg robot fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 28, 2011

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus posted:

*words*

Yeah, things that are grayed out are simply placeholders at the moment, as their functionality hasn't been implemented yet. My primary concern was to at least get something out there that lets wp7 goons read SA on-the-go. Other features will definitely come :).

Now on to the bugs and suggestions you posted:

• Pinch, zoom, and save images. I plan on letting the built in browser handle all images and links, where you can manipulate and save media.

• Separation of posts. The post header (which contains the poster's username, avatar, and post date) was intended to serve as the separator between posts. I figured the large font and weight of the header would make it easy to discern where a new post begins. Since MetroUI is mostly text based, I was trying to avoid using gridlines if possible. Would a larger header be sufficient? I am very open to ideas!

• Long press to quote. Currently, if you long press the header, a quote menu should popup. Not implemented yet, though!

• Jump to last post from thread list. Currently, the app is just simply scraping what information it can from the thread list page for a given forum. I have an idea to get that implemented, though.

• Previously read posts a different color. I can do that. I like the idea of making them a lighter blue (I'll pick another color for those who prefer the classic theme). The font color for quotes are currently blue -- I'm open to ideas as to how to present quoted content from regular content, without cluttering up the screen.

• Remote connection error. Can you tell me where you are in the application when this error occurs (forum list, thread list, post list, etc.)?

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Keep it coming, as I'll be compiling a list and will implement them on the next beta push. I can make nightlies available too, but I think only sideloaders (devs) will be able to use them.

quote:

Maxxx

Added.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Gold and a Pager posted:

Is there a way to exit the app (or am I just retarded)?

I kept pressing the back button but it would never close the app and I didn't see an "exit" option.

Nope, definitely a bug. Use the Windows button for now.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus posted:

None of the forums are loading in the app at all tonight. I know my connection is solid as I am posting this via my Focus that is connected to WiFi. I noticed the other night that some forums would load while others wouldn't. I am not able to load any.

I also remember the awful android app was not displaying subforums. Is there any way to implement subforums?

As long as a subforum has a forum id (which they all do if I'm not mistaken), then the app should display them properly. I just made a static list of all forums and subforms in the code. It's possible (regrettably) that I might have missed some.

Which subforums did you have problems displaying?

Also, I wish it were possible for me to push updates during a beta, but according to MS, I have to end the beta and begin a new one with updated code. I'm thinking of letting the beta ride out until I actually put it up on the public marketplace -- at least there can I push bug fixes as they come.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

New version of the forum reader:

- 100% less annoying way to read threads!
- jump to last seen post!
- replying!

Still working on:

- quoting
- bookmarks
- favorites
- stuff I haven't thought of yet

Stay tuned!

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

quote:

obeyasia
joebuddah

Added the both of you. Keep in mind the new thread viewer (in the screenshot I posted earlier) and other stated features are not in this version of the beta. I plan on having another beta right before the holidays -- though, I might as well submit it to the real marketplace now, and add non-priority features as I go.

Thanks to all the testers for your work! Also, feel free to post "It would be cool if..." ideas as well.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Alright, I'll be ending the beta tonight in order to upload the newest version and begin a second beta. In the meantime, I will also post Awful to the marketplace and fix bugs/add features as needed. Everyone that was in the previous beta will be added to the second one. If you want to be a tester, simply post your Windows Live ID email in this thread.

Also, I think when the beta ends, they present testers with some way to present feedback. Please do so if you feel inclined.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

reply test...

EDIT: Woohoo, replies work! :)

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Added everyone above. As soon as the deep link is available, I'll edit this post and add it. Browse to it using your Windows Phone.

EDIT: Here it is.

This version has a bug that incorrectly sets the current thread page to 1 when the app is pushed to the background. If you spot any more issues let me know!

vvvvv Added vvvvv

bootleg robot fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Nov 11, 2011

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

It's just like last time. Even though it's up on the marketplace, it takes a bit for the app to actually be available. Just try again every 30 minutes or so until you get it.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Added loquacius and ratbert90!

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Chamook posted:

I meant the listings of posts within a forum. Which seems odd.

The thread list, right? I sorted them by priority:

1) least new posts
2) most new posts
3) no new posts

I modeled this after my own viewing habits, where I often refresh the view forum page to see if there are any new posts to a thread I've got my eye on. If you aren't a fan of this behavior, I can add a setting for it.

I hear you on the lack of spell check for replying. What's available now is super simple, so you at least have the ability to reply. Rest assured I'm working on a nice n' fancy text editor for the future.

quote:

The right jumpto post works well, though I would've preferred it if you had to tap on the right to reveal it (similar to the status indicators at the top). The forums and threads pages are also black even on the light theme, though at post level all is well there. This is probably intentional, but the text colors of the post pages seemed to be swapped (non-accented/accented).

Hiding the list like that is a good idea, I'll add that in. :) To be honest, I completely forgot about the light theme. Does anyone actually want a light theme? Black just looks better :colbert:

Also, I've contracted chicken pox (ugh) so I'll be down for the count for a few days. Thanks for all your input and testing!

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

lediur, I need the email address you use as your LiveID. Then I'll add you to the list.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Lediur and Polluxx Troy have been added.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

quote:

Melramz
Stubb Dogg
Badly Jester

Added.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Badly Jester posted:

Thanks for adding me. It keeps telling me I'm not worthy, though. Does it take a long time to update or is it possible that you misspelled my email address? A lot of people miss the second 'n' in hoffmann.

As far as opening a separate thread is concerned, I'm not sure that's necessary right now, as there's not a whole lot of talk about other apps we're interrupting.

Oops! corrected.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

How's this for jump list hiding?

Light theme handled as well (nice post/accent color combo).

bootleg robot fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 13, 2011

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Yep, just tap to show. Once you've finished navigating with it, simply tap outside of the jump list to hide it again. You won't be able to flick left or right while the jump list is active, though.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

It's a shame that I can't just push updates when I want to during a beta test.

^^^^ Added.

bootleg robot fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 13, 2011

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Badly Jester posted:

So you would have to resubmit the app for every update? What are they trying to do, discourage beta testing? Then again, what's stopping you from putting it up on the regular marketplace?

During a beta test, if the developer wants to push updated code to testers, he or she must end the beta first, upload the new code, and start the beta process all over again. It's pretty silly.

As far as marketplace submission, I can't think of anything that would stop me (perhaps needing an SA account to use the app? Their testers won't be able to use the application without one).

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus posted:

is there anyway to have the app open to the newest post?

This is supposed to be the default behavior when you tap on a thread from the thread list. I've noticed that when the newest post is the first post of a page, the app incorrectly sends you to the previous page. Looking into to it.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Added post fontsize support:

That's 28 pt. Anything larger than that, and post content starts getting cut off due to the texture size limit.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

You'll be facing that anyway with large posts in megathreads. You should consider splitting posts into multiple content elements hosted in their own stackpanels (multiple textblocks in a panel, each block will be its own texture), starting a given post length. I think separating images out of textblocks also improves rendering, means you should put text sections before, between and after images into their own content elements and images as plain images, all in stackpanels.

I seriously hope Microsoft's going to forcefully introduce DirectX and drop OpenGL ES. I had to introduce tiled images to bypass the limit in my application.

I won't say this is an obvious solution, but arriving at it a few months ago is the only reason why I decided to write out an entire application.

Anyhoo, the algorithm to determine how much content should be broken down into individual elements is rather naive - works fine for smaller fonts, but not so for fonts larger than what I'm allowing. Feel free to try it out and report threads with cut off content. :)

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Added you, The Unfetered One.

I submitted the application to the public marketplace; it's currently waiting for certification. I'm not sure how long it will take, but when it does, I'll post a link to it.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

-Spiffy- posted:

Sorry if I missed it but are you making the source available?

I playing with the SDK and would like a look at what you have done.

Yep! I'm in the process of straightening up the code so it's more modular and easier for others (and myself!) to understand what I did in certain places. Once that's done, I'll host it on codeplex for people to look at.

I'm strapped for time at the moment (full time job + end of semester grad work) so it will be a bit.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

BBW FEVER posted:

I'd like to try out the Awful app as well. Just got a WP7 device :) eqprog -at- gmail

Added. Here's the link so you don't have to track it down (because this thread moves so fast, right):

Click Me

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Added Kidney Stone, obeyasia, and jwoven.

Thanks for the bug reports and comments BBW FEVER. Sadly, I can't make changes to the current beta; I've fixed those bugs in the release version (which should be available real soon, thanks MS testers).

• I'm pretty fond of having all of the forums on one list, on the same page. The forums list page is just that -- to find the forum you want. You find the thread you want on the thread list page, and you view posts from the selected thread in the thread view page. I think that keeping it simple like that is best for the mobile format, and in line with the Metro UX philosophy. I plan on adding bookmarked thread list to the forum list page (turning it into a main hub of sorts) so users can jump right to the threads they are interested in.

• I agree with you on the quotes; inline is a good idea, and I will get to work on that. Showing the author of a quote is less of a concern, until I come up with a way to show that information in a way that matches the display style I'm going for.

• I like the way posts are handled now, so I don't think I will change that unless someone comes up with a clever alternative.

• A better reply interface is coming, what's currently there was a quick and dirty way to allow people to reply on their phones. Sit tight!

Gold and a Pager, I rarely use the User CP, so I'm pretty ignorant about it. What features would you like to see? I'm currently working on adding bookmark support and private messages.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

kapinga posted:

*stuff*

Thanks for the input!

• I'll have the app remember post location. Also, I might make the flicking less sensitive so flick accidents happen less often.

• Let me check out WonderReader to see what you're talking about, as I am a bit worried about the look of quotes-within-quotes. I hear you on the author labeling so I will take that into consideration.

• What is currently the forum list page will become a page that has a pivot menu. Forums will be on one pivot, and bookmarked threads will be on another pivot. I'll post a screenshot when I implement it.

• That page bug has been fixed in the release version. Thanks!

EDIT: joebuddah added.

bootleg robot fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 21, 2011

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus posted:

I am still having issues with it not opening to the newest post. This thread was shown with 2 new posts and it still opens to the first post on the page. I also just noticed I cannot hit enter while posting and have it start a new paragraph.

Really? That's a case I haven't come across when testing the beta. Either it would jump to the correct post on the correct page, or load the first post of the previous page. I've fixed it in the release version though, so thanks for bearing with it.

Good catch with the posting bug. Fixed.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

zilong posted:

Added.

I was going to hold off on making a thread until the app hit the marketplace, but since it's taking longer than I thought, I'll make one anyway. In the meantime, if testers want to share their thoughts, post bugs, etc., just email me at nathanisaac at gmail.com. That way it won't take away from the thread's main discussion.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

isochronous posted:

Speaking of which, any audiobook players other than LindyAudio out there? It's the only one I can find, and short of about half a dozen ways to sideload content onto my phone, it's really badly made. No "jump to" functionality, no background agent to keep tracks playing while using other apps, no skip forward/backward a certain # of seconds, no accelerated playback...

I'm seriously considering using this as my first personal phone programming project, but I don't want to recreate the wheel if there's a hidden gem out there.

I've been looking for a good one as well, and have yet to find one. I think you should give it a shot and make your own. I'd be happy to lend you any tips to help you get started.

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

Certification for Awful on the Marketplace failed. Reason?

"Any content that facilitates, or promotes, whether directly or indirectly, the illegal (under applicable local law) or excessive sale or use of drugs is not allowed on any section/site, regardless of targeting."

Steps to reproduce?

1. Scroll to The Crackhead Clubhouse 2. Notice the drug related content.

Welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

DaWolfey posted:

Throw up some XML on a web server that serves the list of allowable forums. Remove TCC then put it back in after certification is complete.

Good idea. I'll implement this and resubmit.

• Locked thread