Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Popehoist posted:

Wrong. Kotomine even confirms in the route that the shadow is still actually Sakura and she's making the conscious decision to kill people.
(Heaven's Feel) That's only after day 14 when Sakura breaks down after killing Shinji in self-defense. Shirou's decision to kill Sakura occurs on day 9 when he and Rin learn from Kotomine that she contains a crest worm that lets Zouken control her. And Shirou knows that she's acting against her will, as he's told that Sakura knocked herself out with her powers to stop acting on Zouken's behalf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Zandracon posted:

I love how absurdly broken some of the servants in Apocrypha are. Also gotta love how the Servant Urobuchi designed "chose the path of suffering."

Yeah Spartacus was a serious :stare: design. It's weird because you'd think that the moment Urobuchi was allowed to design a servant he'd make some sort of suit wearing Assassin character (I recall reading that none of the FZ ones are actually designed by Gen) and not.... that.

That said, the Jack the Ripper one is still worse. On the other hand Vlad and Shakespeare were loving awesome, and most of the others barring Siegfried (who was really bad) were at least decent. IevenkindalikedFrankenstein'smonster

Sir Gladu
Nov 26, 2008

Rodyle posted:

On the other hand Vlad and Shakespeare were loving awesome, and most of the others barring Siegfried (who was really bad) were at least decent.

Please tell me Vlad's class is Lancer.

edit: :lol: Yes it is.

Sir Gladu fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Sep 25, 2011

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Speaking of crazy servants Fate/Extra was confirmed for western publication about a week ago and that's got some pretty nuts stuff in it, including different Servants depending on which main character you pick. I'll stick it under spoilers for those without a PSP.

Saber is one of the Caesars/Gawain, some crazy fox-geisha for Caster, Rider is a gender-swapped Francis Drake, and loving Lu Bu and Arcueid as Berserkers.

You can see the others on the Fate wikia. The entire thing is set in some alternate-reality techno-school scifi thing.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Factor_VIII posted:

One more thing to remember is that KnK was a movie series, so they could have stuff there that can't be shown on television. And of course since Fate/Zero is a TV series, its budget will be significantly lower than the movies.

Dickworms turned up in several of the PVs. I'm pretty sure television restrictions aren't an issue. And we've seen the animation and it's loving beautiful so far so I'm pretty sure this is getting quite a lot of money thrown at it.

quote:

Yeah. MoS is a pretty bad ending. Shirou ends up like Kiritsugu, a tortured broken shell of a man who has sacrificed all the people he loved in order to save strangers. And by choosing to kill Sakura Shirou has betrayed his ideal, since his aim is save everyone and Sakura is an innocent as she hasn't consciously killed anyone.

Yeah, I've noticed that the only people who like MoS have a serious irrational hatred of Sakura.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

WickedIcon posted:

Dickworms turned up in several of the PVs. I'm pretty sure television restrictions aren't an issue. And we've seen the animation and it's loving beautiful so far so I'm pretty sure this is getting quite a lot of money thrown at it.
I agree the previews look very good, but you'd expect them to splurge on those. I'm not saying it will have poor animation, just that one can't expect movie-level quality in a TV series.

By the way, when did penis worms appear in the previews? The only similar scene I remember seeing in the previews is the bit where Sakura is covered in insects. And I must say that I doubt that Caster's workshop or what he does to the children he has with him when he meets Saber in the forest will be exactly the same as it were in the novels. I'm not complaining about it since one can't expect them to be able to show stuff on television that could appear in a movie.

WickedIcon posted:

Yeah, I've noticed that the only people who like MoS have a serious irrational hatred of Sakura.
Indeed. Or people who say that Shirou should have stayed true to his ideals, which is ironic since that choice does betray them. In HF Shirou is placed in a situation where he has to abandon them one way or the other which I thought was good since they are supposed to be unattainable and its only by luck that he isn't placed in a similar situation in the previous two routes.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Almost forgot: The ED single has been out for over a week now. You usually don't see these releasing before the anime even starts. I didn't feel like putting this in the OP because it'll probably get taken down anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAOZj-HgiSM

ChineseTea
Jul 22, 2011

jonjonaug posted:

Almost forgot: The ED single has been out for over a week now. You usually don't see these releasing before the anime even starts. I didn't feel like putting this in the OP because it'll probably get taken down anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAOZj-HgiSM

Goddamn, that picture in the video is incredible. Anyone know where can I get a high res version?

Anyway, I'm a massive FSN VN fan but I haven't really seen much of the stuff by this studio but the FSN anime is such a letdown compared to the VN I still have some reservations. Still I'm really quivering with anticipation for this especially since I have no idea where to obtain Fate/Zero in English.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

ChineseTea posted:

Goddamn, that picture in the video is incredible. Anyone know where can I get a high res version?

Anyway, I'm a massive FSN VN fan but I haven't really seen much of the stuff by this studio but the FSN anime is such a letdown compared to the VN I still have some reservations. Still I'm really quivering with anticipation for this especially since I have no idea where to obtain Fate/Zero in English.
It's Ufotable, not DEEN, we should be fine. Unless you were talking about Type Moon rather than the anime studio.

WickedIcon posted:

It's more because we have a very rational hatred of the worst character in the game besides True Assassin (god what a boring Servant). But let's not have the whole which heroine/route is best/worst argument break out for what must be the internet's billionth time, not when we're here for Zero.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

ChineseTea posted:

Appears to be this one (nsfw ads):
http://hijiribe.donmai.us/post/show/991873/

ChineseTea
Jul 22, 2011

Rodyle posted:

It's Ufotable, not DEEN, we should be fine. Unless you were talking about Type Moon rather than the anime studio.

Yeah I mean the anime studio which is great in that case.

taser rates posted:

Appears to be this one (nsfw ads):
http://hijiribe.donmai.us/post/show/991873/

Thanks man.

InsaneZero
Feb 16, 2011
Whoops, Gen Urobuchi is NOT the series composer, only supervisor.

InsaneZero fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Sep 26, 2011

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

InsaneZero posted:

Rejoice, Emiya Shirou!

The series composition will be handled by Gen Urobuchi himself.

Oh yeah, forgot to mention this.

Urobuchi's been tweeting about helping with the Fate/Zero adaptation for months now. I'm guessing this just makes it official.

I've heard there are supposed to be new, anime-only scenes as well (which is a good thing because Fate/Zero is too long for a 1-cour show, but a bit too short for a 2-cour show).

Zandracon posted:

Urobuchi worked on Zero as a collaboration between Nitro+ and TM. Believe he also wrote some Black Lagoon novels.
Yep!

You can find translations for the first Black Lagoon novel here. It's filled with good action and some really great comedy.

The second one hasn't been translated.

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 25, 2011

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

WickedIcon posted:

I really don't care about Sakura either way. But I want to see Mind of Steel written out because of what it entails.

Shirou, almost entirely without magic, weapons, allies, or training, will fight and kill every single other Servant and Master in the war by sheer virtue of being ruthless, borderline suicidal, and inhumanly determined. Kirei flat-out tells him that that means killing Rin with his own hands, and when you consider Berserker, he'll probably kill Ilya, too. Due to the force mismatch, this likely means betrayal. By the end of it, Shirou will be an emotionally shattered wreck, and he'll probably end up in Archer's situation. There's no way it ends well.

But it will be badass, and it ends before we see any of it. It'd be an interesting tragedy to watch.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

How is Fate/Extra as a game? Would it only really appeal to fans of the series or is it good enough to appeal to general JRPG fans?

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
^^^^^^^^
I've heard it's an okay Persona clone as a game, and that the story's kind of weird. I'll still planning on getting it though.

jonjonaug posted:

You can find translations for the first Black Lagoon novel here. It's filled with good action and some really great comedy.

Oooh, there's a second one? I just read Shaitane Badi the other day and it was some of my favorite black lagoon material.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

jonjonaug posted:

Did Urobuchi write the Balalaika Origin story one?

God I wish LN authors would bring over their stuff more often. I basically can't read novels on my computer (I barely made it through FZ) and I want Baccano, the BL light novels, and DDD SO BAD. Hell even Spice and Wolf, which DOES get translated, is released at an ungodly glacial pace.

Katsudon
Oct 21, 2010

Shut up Adachi.
This is one of the only two series alongside the Persona 4 adaptation that I'm looking forward to this season... and I know that if the P4 blows (which it has a chance of) I'll at least still have this. :swoon:

Seriously I can't see how this can go wrong, especially with this studio and this staff. Not to mention it's easier to adapt a light novel than a 3 route VN. It looks absolutely fantastic so far.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Einander posted:

I want to see Mind of Steel written out because of what it entails.

It wouldn't be much. Just Shirou walking up to a Servant and getting his rear end killed because he has no Servant, no companions, no knowledge of how his powers work, and an angry Ilya out to kill him. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if it ends with Berserker just curb stomping Shirou as soon as he exits the church.

Sure, Kotomine says Shirou will win, but it's pretty obvious he can't. Kotomine's just being his usual sardonic self.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Sep 26, 2011

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

It wouldn't be much. Just Shirou walking up to a Servant and getting his rear end killed because he has no Servant, no companions, no knowledge of how his powers work, and an angry Ilya out to kill him.

Sure, Kotomine says Shirou will win, but it's pretty obvious he can't. Kotomine's probably just being his usual sardonic self.

Well, when you consider that Shirou beats the living poo poo out of an even stronger Berserker with nothing but a single use of Archer's arm and his own giant steel balls it's not that improbable.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

...What? Just because Shirou could do that to a heavily crippled Berserker much later in the story after a massive power up doesn't mean he could do that to normal Berserker running off Ilya very early in the story without said massive power up.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Mind of Steel is pretty dumb and I've never really understood why people liked it. It'd be one thing if you actually got to see any of the poo poo transpire, but as it is? Meh.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

BlitzBlast posted:

Sure, Kotomine says Shirou will win, but it's pretty obvious he can't. Kotomine's just being his usual sardonic self.
Yeah, all we have is Kotomine's word for what might supposedly happen. There's no direct evidence he could win. In HF Shirou doesn't really hone his abilities and instead relies on Archer's arm which he gets later. One possibility would have been to murder a Mater in their sleep or something and steal their Servant, but since Servants guard their Masters at that time it seems nigh impossible.

WickedIcon posted:

Well, when you consider that Shirou beats the living poo poo out of an even stronger Berserker with nothing but a single use of Archer's arm and his own giant steel balls it's not that improbable.
Dark Berserker has lost all his extra lives, still has the wounds that killed him, his body is rotting, he's blind and is even more insane than normal. Even then Shirou would have failed to kill him even with Archer's arm if it weren't for the fact Berserker hesitated to attack when Ilya appeared in front of him.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Okay y'all jerks have been selling this show so hard it's convinced me to play through Fate/Stay Night even though it's supposed to be like 50 hours long and I don't have much gamin' time any more nowadays. I guess since I'm not watching that much anime nowadays either I sort of have time.

Dang!

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

^
I recommend just getting a complete save and picking one route to read. IIRC, the three can be summed up like:

Fate: Lots and lots of background.
UBW: Lots and lots of awesome.
HF: Meh with some character examination (and Nasu sex scenes), then nonstop awesome. Oh, and the happiest ending in the game. :unsmith: And the saddest. :smith:

UBW is probably the best one to read, but I prefer HF soley because All The Evil In This World and All The Good In This World are damned awesome and totally make up for the slow beginning.

Factor_VIII posted:

In HF Shirou doesn't really hone his abilities and instead relies on Archer's arm which he gets later.

To be fair, that spoiler alone negated any need for training. It was basically UBW's Archer > Shirou skill transfer, only it was all at once and honestly should have killed Shirou if it weren't for the fact that HF Shirou is pure, concentrate badass.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Sep 26, 2011

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

BlitzBlast posted:

I recommend just getting a complete save and picking one route to read.
This is horrible advice because FSN's routes are designed around being played sequentially.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

:downs: I completely forgot about that. Yeah, you definitely want to start with Fate.

(By the time I read F/SN, I had already had the whole thing spoiled to me so I just picked a route at random and read it.)

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

BlitzBlast posted:

To be fair, that spoiler alone negated any need for training. It was basically UBW's Archer > Shirou skill transfer, only it was all at once and honestly should have killed Shirou if it weren't for the fact that HF Shirou is pure, concentrate badass.
Not quite. When he removed the Shroud of Martin for the first time Shirou got a basic understanding of Archer's and his abilities but he still needed to access Archer's memories every time he needed to trace a noble phantasm.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Plus, having Archer's experience is not the same as having Archer's body which had spent several lifetimes honing itself in combat.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Pierson posted:

Speaking of crazy servants Fate/Extra was confirmed for western publication about a week ago and that's got some pretty nuts stuff in it, including different Servants depending on which main character you pick. I'll stick it under spoilers for those without a PSP.

Saber is one of the Caesars/Gawain, some crazy fox-geisha for Caster, Rider is a gender-swapped Francis Drake, and loving Lu Bu and Arcueid as Berserkers.

You can see the others on the Fate wikia. The entire thing is set in some alternate-reality techno-school scifi thing.

Holy poo poo, they're releasing that in the States? Seriously?

Oh, and crazy fox-geisha is Tamamo-no-mae, the most famous example of the Kitsune myth in Japan. What's weirder is that Nursery Rhyme Caster thing. Oh, and if I remember correctly, Ryougi Shiki is Avenger, and the post-game last boss or something.

And Arc Berserker is the best thing; she's only one because her Master screwed up and she was supposed to be "Funny Vamp (pretty freeloader)" class.

Rodyle posted:

It's more because we have a very rational hatred of the worst character in the game besides True Assassin (god what a boring Servant). But let's not have the whole which heroine/route is best/worst argument break out for what must be the internet's billionth time, not when we're here for Zero.

If you want to avoid an argument, you shouldn't say poo poo that baits one. :ssh:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
It's no exaggeration that I'm buying F/Extra mostly for the non-Fate cameos.

I'm weak, dammit.

Also, about that Berseker: Apparently her Master didn't screw up, at least not the 'Berseker Arc' part, he forced Mad Enhancement on Arcueid due to his religion or something weird like that and wanting to make her a deity.

The screwup is that shoehorning this in basically means that Arc loses access to most of her abilities as a True Ancestor, as well as her real Mad Enhancement, which was several levels stronger than the fake one. So basically despite her Berserker class she's actually weaker than normal. Whoops.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

MadRhetoric posted:

Holy poo poo, they're releasing that in the States? Seriously?

Oh, and crazy fox-geisha is Tamamo-no-mae, the most famous example of the Kitsune myth in Japan. What's weirder is that Nursery Rhyme Caster thing. Oh, and if I remember correctly, Ryougi Shiki is Avenger, and the post-game last boss or something.
Shiki isn't a Servant; she's classified simply as a "Monster". She says that if she kills one hundred Servants she'll be allowed to leave the Moon Cell and that the player's Servant will be the hundredth. (By the way, since that's a computer simulation it isn't reflective of Ryougi's power. Nasu had said that Ryougi's 3rd personality would be limited to fighting a defensive battle against an average Servant with a mediocre noble phantasm. Her other personalities wouldn't even manage that.)

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Factor_VIII posted:

Not quite. When he removed the Shroud of Martin for the first time Shirou got a basic understanding of Archer's and his abilities but he still needed to access Archer's memories every time he needed to trace a noble phantasm.

Rule Breaker and Nine Lives. And HF Shirou didn't get to see Caliburn in his dreams or a hundred Noble Phantasms in the Gate of Babylon, so it's not like he really could use his own memories that much.

But getting back to Fate/Zero, I can not wait to see a protagonist who, right from the start, is actually better than all of his human opponents.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Sep 26, 2011

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

BlitzBlast posted:

Rule Breaker and Nine Lives. And HF Shirou didn't get to see Caliburn in his dreams or a hundred Noble Phantasms in the Gate of Babylon, so it's not like he really could use his own memories that much.
True, he does trace those two NPs, as well as Zelretch, based on him observing them but he still relies on Archer's arm to actually create them.

BlitzBlast posted:

But getting back to Fate/Zero, I can not wait to see a protagonist who, right from the start, is actually better than all of his human opponents.
I'd argue that Kotomine is stronger than Kiritsugu.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Factor_VIII posted:

I'd argue that Kotomine is stronger than Kiritsugu.

That's because Kotomine is basically roided-out Catholic Batman. As far as opponents who can reasonably be called humans Kiritsugu is stronger than all of them.

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 26, 2011

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

WickedIcon posted:

That's because Kotomine is basically roided-out Catholic Batman. As far as opponents who can reasonably be called humans Kiritsugu is stronger than all of them.
Nasu has said that young Kotomine with Command Spells is as powerful as Ciel. Considering what a monster she is, that certainly puts him above all the other magi participating in the 4th Grail War. Nonetheless he is a human.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Yet F/SN tells us that Kiritsugu kicked Kotomine's rear end. I'm sure Kotomine will put up a good fight, but it's already set in stone who the victor will be.

I can't really recall what little of Fate/Zero I read, but I'm pretty sure that at this point Kotomine's still confused about his meaning in life. So Kiritsugu's definitely stronger in resolve, and that's all that matters in anime.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

BlitzBlast posted:

Yet F/SN tells us that Kiritsugu kicked Kotomine's rear end. I'm sure Kotomine will put up a good fight, but it's already set in stone who the victor will be.

I can't really recall what little of Fate/Zero I read, but I'm pretty sure that at this point Kotomine's still confused about his meaning in life. So Kiritsugu's definitely stronger in resolve, and that's all that matters in anime.
Not really. Let's just say that Kiritsugu only "wins" as a result of their differing objectives.

Factor_VIII fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Sep 26, 2011

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Factor_VIII posted:

True, he does trace those two NPs, as well as Zelretch, based on him observing them but he still relies on Archer's arm to actually create them.

Isn't it implied that the only reason he needs to use Archer's arm is because he has already betrayed the ideals that shaped his reality marble by not going the Mind of Steel route? He was perfectly capable of using projection in Fate and UBW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

WrightOfWay posted:

Isn't it implied that the only reason he needs to use Archer's arm is because he has already betrayed the ideals that shaped his reality marble by not going the Mind of Steel route? He was perfectly capable of using projection in Fate and UBW.

No, Shirou betraying his ideals doesn't destroy Unlimited Blade Works. If it did, Archer's arm probably wouldn't even work. The only reason he needs to use Archer's arm is because HF Shirou never got the opportunity to work out how exactly tracing works while he was standing guard over Sakura, so he needed to get it injected into him. Archer's arm also provided a poo poo ton of memories, stronger magic circuits, and slow death by swordification.

Man, this is turning into a black bar festival.

• Locked thread