Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

FuriousGeorge posted:

Don't forget Edgar Wright. Everyone was astounded when he finally managed to get one wrong in a recent episode.

Let's not forget, it managed to get Country Bear Jamboree in zero names.

I say it, because no human could do that.

benito posted:

Unrelated, but what does everyone think about the new Zero Names option? I think it should be reserved for highly skilled participants like Samm Levine and Edgar Wright, but it's a neat twist on the game, and something to freshen up the show a bit.
It almost feels like it should be a separate game entirely. Surely going negative on that would not be ineligible for the Tournament of Championships?

Riptor posted:

Weird, I tried to download the Maltin/Pardo/Levin episode and it downloaded the newest one instead. Anyone have this issue?

Yes. Try again. It was sad to skip the one where he's uberbaked trying to get to Len and... it's the same one. :(

Golbez fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 10, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

OldHansMoleman posted:

I think he took it down because it made him look horrible. Why would anyone want to go to his show or book him when he is like that.

I think this is the case. The podcast is excellent free advertising for his standup, and that episode was poo poo. (though, kudos to the guests for doing what they could to salvage it) Though, I am surprised - apart from rare (and always explained after the fact) bleeping, he always plays it where it lies. No editing.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

glassy-eyed bambi posted:

For everyone that doesn't know Doug's age, look it up.

There's a portrait of him somewhere slowly getting more stoned.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

TetsuoTW posted:

What am I missing? I listened to like five minutes of that episode and it just sounded like a line-up of lovely one-joke gimmicks.

e: That sounds a little more dickish than I intended. Since apparently everyone but me found it hilarious, I'm genuinely at a loss as to what I'm missing here.

They're all characters from Comedy Bang Bang. It's not just that they're over the top, it's also that they're improvising as these characters. And done by three exceptionally funny people.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
Has there been any reveal what what silently bleeped when Deb chose her category?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
Wow, I rather liked it. It was over 2 hours but it didn't really feel that long. Sure, they sucked at the game, but I thought it was generally entertaining, and better than the too-stoned-to-podcast episode. It was also the most entertaining Build a Title in a while.

Now that you mention it though, there really was no reason for her to point out that she had a bra on. There was a lot of that kind of thing in there...

Edit: Wait I just noticed I still had 45 minutes left in this? ... okay so much for saying it doesn't feel too long, I thought I was near the end. :gonk:

Edit: OK, you're right, it gets worse. Also, "Brendan Sextonill" lol.

Golbez fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 30, 2011

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

graventy posted:

I'm not a huge fan of Build a Title, but it's kind of fun to play along with in my head while I listen. This one was just four idiots who couldn't even follow the rules or figure out the game.

That's just it. It was an entirely different game when when Doug and Graham play in a car. The stakes are zero, so it was fun to just have people bullshit around it for a few minutes.

Now, they didn't *know* they were bullshitting around it, they thought they were being genuine certified geniuses, but it was still entertaining.

Then again, I started with a relatively high opinion of the episode, compared to y'all, but the more I think on it the more I :gonk:

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
I love how pissed Doug can get. Everyone thinks he's just this laid back jolly stoner, but you gently caress with his show and he *will* snap at you. In his jolly stoner way. But nothing harshes his buzz more than someone dragging down his game.

I also liked how even the audience got a bit restless. US! US! BRUCE WILLIS!

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Phone posted:

I gave these clues to my girlfriend from the first Austin ep:

Christmas movies
3 stars
Dynamite and great, marred by over length.

... She came back with "is it something like Die Hard?"

ZERO NAMES

Die Hard is one of two movies I've gotten solely based on the category, year, and stars. (Also, Die Hard, overlong? What?)

The other was "Westerns, 1995, 2 and a half stars" The Quick and the Dead.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

RoryGilmore posted:

No, a bunch of people have asked for it and Doug has said "Well if you want to commit the time to doing it, go ahead." But nobody has :(

I'm a little surprised no J-Archive version of the Len Maltin game has been made.

Sounds like a goon project! :eng101:

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Popelmon posted:

Guess he got lucky: Terrible second movies after a good debut of a director

Would Michael Cimino qualify? What examples can you give?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
The Superman 3 episodes were also great.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
And don't forget that HDTGM is not just about bad movies. It's about ridiculously amazing movies that are so ridiculous it's amazing they get made. Definitely listen to the Punisher: War Zone episode, as it's definitely the best of that class.

And also, definitely watch Punisher: War Zone, it's loving amazing.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Majorian posted:

Listening to the Paul F Tompkins/Lord Andrew Lloyd Webber/Garry Marshall episode right now. This is spectacular. ALW getting (dare I say it) catty with Garry's and Doug's ramblings is some of the funniest poo poo I've heard on this podcast. PFT needs to do more live interplay with his characters.

What's so amazing about that is that PFT was able to internally keep track of being three parts of a four-way conversation, AND keep the audience entertained and involved.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

FitFortDanga posted:

Graham Elwood sounds so much like Paul Gilmartin it's eerie.

Pet peeve: when you can tell who's going to win LMG by how much time is left in the episode. I guess the solution to that is to not look at your iPod when you're listening.

I learned this lesson by not looking at a clock when watching poker and someone was all-in. If they went all in at :58, it's pretty obvious they're going to lose.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
I'm sad this wasn't a video podcast, because between Kulap and Riki (sorry Kate), there's a lot of sexy up on that stage.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
When we saw Doug in Des Moines last year, we had to sign a release, they had a camera crew there. Hoping we ended up in the movie!

Going to see him in Madison at 4:20 on April Fool's Day. Anyone else in the region heading there?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
The storm at the beginning of the trailer was from Des Moines. That was a scary as hell storm.

Also, his joke about "I'm a known pot smoker... NPS. .. I mean KPS." was from Des Moines. Unless that's part of his act but it seemed like a genuine stoner flub. I think you might be able to see my hair in one shot. :woop:

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Sneeing Emu posted:

Doug just Tweeted:

Great audience, poorly miked. #DumbSoundGuy #BeenSacked #sxsw RT @khaostello @DougBenson worst audience in a long while on today's ep. #DLM

But wasn't Proops complaining the whole time that the audience sucked? The people on stage don't need mics to hear the crowd...

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Maduo posted:

Proops always blames the audience when one of his jokes bombs or flies over everyone's heads. I like him and think he was alright here, but it's one of his more annoying traits.

On another topic, I think this is the first time I've heard Adomians real voice, and it's not at all what I expected.

Him bringing out Huell Howser made me happier than I had any business being.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
Radio = how it sounds.
Text = how it reads.

Wrath of Khan/Con Air is perfectly fine for radio but not text. Some Like It Hot/The Others is fine for text (Some Like It Hothers) but not for radio, since Hot and Oth have different sounds.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Mierenneuker posted:

Khan
IPA: /kɑɑɑɑɑɑɑɑɑɑɑːn/

Better.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
Saw Doug and Graham yesterday at 4:20 in Madison. Amazing show. Doug was the most stoned I've ever seen him (at the start he said he was a 7.4... out of 7.4. Later he upped it to 7.5), to the point that he even forgot to do the shitheads at the end.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Uh-oh.
Was he too high or too drunk in that REALLY bad episode few months ago he later apologized for?

e: Was it a DLM we'll get as an episode?

No, just a regular standup show. He was too high in that old episode but this time he worked with it and it was pretty awesome. He was working on new material for his next album.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Teenage Fansub posted:

How do shitheads come into regular stand-up?

People brought nametags; we forgot ours. :( The nametags picked that I noticed were a box of vegan, gluten-free chocolate cookies [for Graham, of course], a severed arm, and one other. The person plays a single round against Graham; winner gets the bag of goodies (Which consisted of Graham's CD, Doug's CD, and ... I think a shirt?), loser supposedly gets their shithead read and heads back to their seat.

quote:

Are they still shooting for the tour movie? Maybe they needed a climactic weeded out performance and you went to the right one.

Nope, they finished shooting The Greatest Movie Ever Rolled. This one wasn't on camera; if it was, we would have had to sign a release like we did last time when they said it was going to be on camera. :)

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

HateTheInternet posted:

fervently against Tig Notaro

What, how is this possible, she's a droll angel.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

LesterGroans posted:

Not for someone who's almost 50.

Some months ago he said on a podcast that he went to a preview screening of some movie in 1980 or so. My jaw dropped - I had no clue he was any older than 35 at that point.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

HateTheInternet posted:

Guys, he was an extra in Blade Runner.

And Captain EO.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

FitFortDanga posted:

The new game ("ABCDeez Nuts") is really really loving boring. I thought Build-A-Title was bad, but this is just utterly pointless and repetitive. I hope he doesn't keep doing this game every episode.

It'll probably go til he loses (:haw:) but I also like the fact that people get tripped up on some really easy letters. I don't think anyone's lost on Q or X, it's always a letter with thousands of options.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
A requirement for any Build a Title or ABCDeezNuts is that you must be able to name a lead actor or the director, without hesitation. You can't guess a title, you have to know a title.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Eltoasto posted:

ABC is just dumb because anyone who does it a bunch will get 5-6 movies banked for every letter

This is Our Douglas we're talking about here, I think you're giving his :420:-addled memory too much credit. But yeah, after a while it'll suck, I just think for now it's funny he wins every time.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
Today's episode is brought to you by the emoticon :3:.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
I did know until this episode that the official spelling was Samm "The Ma'am" Levine. I thought it was Samm "The Mamm" Levine. Li'l Wolverine!

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

-Atom- posted:

I hope Doug leaves after introducing the three of them.

How would you be able to tell?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Lamuella posted:

When someone plays a purposefully bad standup, they run into what I call the Les Dawson Problem.

Les Sawson was a British comedian who had a part in his routine where he came on stage and played the piano badly. It was usually hilarious. The reason it was usually hilarious is that Les Dawson was a brilliant concert-level pianist and knew exactly how to make bad piano playing sound funny. In the hands of anyone who was less good at the piano, playing badly just sounds like playing badly.

Same is true of a bad stand-up comedian. To be funnily bad at standup comedy, you have to be really really good at stand-up comedy. You have to know the beats in order to miss them. I think Adomian does some great characters, but I'm not sure his standup is strong enough to be bad.

See also: Andy Kaufman.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

HateTheInternet posted:

All right buddy this ain't Doug Loves Other Podcasts

I'm still slowly catching up from the very beginning and I'm just hitting the run of rental car/single guest in a hotel room episodes and oh my god are they dull. The whole episode is always a recap of their shows from previous nights and then a lengthy game of Build-a-Title. I thought the in-studio no live audience episodes were a little difficult to get through, but these are terrible in spite of the extra content. Why did he start doing them? Do people actually like them?

More recently, there's been fewer rental car eps, and they've been better because they've featured the Len Maltin game played during their standup acts.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Yoshifan823 posted:

I know if I ever get a chance to pick a shithead, it will be Bob Vander Plaats. Because he is The King Shithead.

This is true, but considering Doug has come to Iowa once in the last two years, I think, this is unlikely to get much opportunity or traction. :(

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Why are Boner Eps recorded so badly? Why are members of the audience 10x clearer than any of the people on stage? Surely he could plug into the venue's soundboard instead of putting a tape recorder on the floor or however these get picked up.

It's recording on his iPhone I believe. I think these are just ones he decides to record off the cuff.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

goldblums eyes posted:

As someone who has listened to this episode at least 8 times, it is the only right answer.

"If only I had the power to see the past."cakeboss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Conduit for Sale! posted:

That's neat. I wonder why eps disappear from the rss feed after 6 months. I don't see any other podcast doing that.

I think it's so he can sell them. Marc Maron's WTF also only goes back so far, last I checked.

• Locked thread