Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

If you were given the reins to make a Fallout game what would you do for the main story/player character? You can do something brand new and original,no need for a vault opening or my son!/father!

A disillusioned Centurion from the Legion who was from a recently assimilated tribe returning to his homeland following the death of Caesar, defeat at Hoover Dam, and Legion Civil War

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Arc Hammer posted:

Can you reach Idolized status with Goodsprings if you skip the tutorial? Saving the lady down at the well from the Geckos puts you at Accepted status.

How far do you take the tutorial as going? I always took all the quests in Goodsprings to pretty much be a tutorial. As the later ones teach you about faction standing and skill dialogue checks and that sort of thing.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

Leaving aside story concerns: The ability to say "I know what I'm doing" and skip immediately to the start of the actual game, not tutorial land.

To be fair, the main reason for that is that gamers will mash "I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING", then walk directly into the cazadores and whine that the game is too hard/directionless/bad.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I thought it was only possible to trigger For Auld Lang Syne towards the endgame, but the wiki seems to imply that if you have five or more companion points with Arcade it might trigger early, is that the case?

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

dr_rat posted:

How far do you take the tutorial as going? I always took all the quests in Goodsprings to pretty much be a tutorial. As the later ones teach you about faction standing and skill dialogue checks and that sort of thing.

The tutorial is Back in the Saddle, the quest where the second dialog option says END TUTORIAL.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Arbite posted:

I thought it was only possible to trigger For Auld Lang Syne towards the endgame, but the wiki seems to imply that if you have five or more companion points with Arcade it might trigger early, is that the case?

I believe the conditions require the Arcade approval points and either Caesar or House dead/dealt with. So depending on how far along certain quests are it's either midgame or lategame.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

oh jay posted:

The tutorial is Back in the Saddle, the quest where the second dialog option says END TUTORIAL.

Oh, I haven't done that quest for so long I forgot it actually had an end tutorial dialogue option.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Sure why not: Fallout Florida.

PC is: the Broken. You wake up after the mother of all benders completely amnesiac of who you were before. Yes, a bit Disco Elysium.

Florida is now an swampy archipelago thanks to the bombs and climate change.

For factions you'd get:
- An alliance of pirates. Very anarchistic, bunch of raiders with a code. They have lines they don't cross, and while protect some settlements for protection money. Their unofficial leader is a ghoul cosplaying as a 16th-century pirate and having a lot of fun with it. When talked to he'll explain that this is one of those big transitional moment in history like the fall of Rome and the Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Eventually a new civilization will arise.
- The Drug Lords of Miami. Mostly all about selling drugs, making drugs, whacking rivals, etc. Their leader turns out to be a ex-Follower of the Apocalypse who became disillusioned and decided to make party town and just enjoy the end of the world.
- The Kingdom of the Rat King. Someone took over Disneyland and remade it into a wannabe medieval kingdom. They got robots dressed like fairytales.
- The Daughters of the Confederacy. Pure evil, cannot be joined.

You'd have a bunch of minor factions:
- A single Brotherhood of Steel strike team from the North, after the MacGuffin.
- The Swamp Maoists. Basically, one of the Vault-Tec experiments was to run one of the Vaults as a "communist" regime and see how long it would take for proud Americans to rebel. "Unfortunately", they amde the mistake of having actual communist texts in the vault that they ran as a propaganda version of Communism. So the dwellers got convinced the Overseer was doing communism wrong, rebelled, found out the truth, and then immediately splintered. So you got a bunch of different communist groups who all hate each other and claim to be the true Communists and everyone else are splitters/revisionists/etc.
- Other fun stuff

The big MacGuffin that everyone fights over turns out to be a way to control a still functional War Satellite. Taking the space laser from New Vegas to a new level. Why? So that the final battle can be at Cape Canaveral.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

lol at the headline
https://www.pcgamer.com/games/rpg/fallout/todd-howard-new-vegas-obsidian-show/

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Would like to play as a self appointed sheriff ten days after the bombs fell trying to get people to safety,might be a bit too walking dead though.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Sure why not: Fallout Florida.

PC is: the Broken. You wake up after the mother of all benders completely amnesiac of who you were before. Yes, a bit Disco Elysium.

Florida is now an swampy archipelago thanks to the bombs and climate change.

For factions you'd get:
- An alliance of pirates. Very anarchistic, bunch of raiders with a code. They have lines they don't cross, and while protect some settlements for protection money. Their unofficial leader is a ghoul cosplaying as a 16th-century pirate and having a lot of fun with it. When talked to he'll explain that this is one of those big transitional moment in history like the fall of Rome and the Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Eventually a new civilization will arise.
- The Drug Lords of Miami. Mostly all about selling drugs, making drugs, whacking rivals, etc. Their leader turns out to be a ex-Follower of the Apocalypse who became disillusioned and decided to make party town and just enjoy the end of the world.
- The Kingdom of the Rat King. Someone took over Disneyland and remade it into a wannabe medieval kingdom. They got robots dressed like fairytales.
- The Daughters of the Confederacy. Pure evil, cannot be joined.

You'd have a bunch of minor factions:
- A single Brotherhood of Steel strike team from the North, after the MacGuffin.
- The Swamp Maoists. Basically, one of the Vault-Tec experiments was to run one of the Vaults as a "communist" regime and see how long it would take for proud Americans to rebel. "Unfortunately", they amde the mistake of having actual communist texts in the vault that they ran as a propaganda version of Communism. So the dwellers got convinced the Overseer was doing communism wrong, rebelled, found out the truth, and then immediately splintered. So you got a bunch of different communist groups who all hate each other and claim to be the true Communists and everyone else are splitters/revisionists/etc.
- Other fun stuff

The big MacGuffin that everyone fights over turns out to be a way to control a still functional War Satellite. Taking the space laser from New Vegas to a new level. Why? So that the final battle can be at Cape Canaveral.

there's a fallout miami mod in development, iirc.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
What the heck, here's my pitch.

FALLOUT: RUST

War. War never changes.

For hundreds of years, America's industrial heartland were formed around the Great Lakes. The ore and timber of Michigan's Upper Peninsula fueled the great factories of Detroit, building countless tanks and guns to fight Germany, Japan, and eventually China. And every railroad lead to Chicago, where the great stockyards and slaughterhouses fed the nation's hunger for meat. But when the bombs fell, the factories fell silent. The railroads stopped running. Even the blood stopped flowing... for a while, at least.

In the 2240s, a remnant of America's Pre-War government known as the Enclave tried and failed to take back control of the wasteland that had once been the United States. Though their headquarters aboard a remote oil rig was destroyed, small cadres of loyalists spread out across the wasteland. Some came to the once-great city of Chicago, still burning after 200 years. There they settled, fortified, and planned...

You are an American, born and raised within the Enclave to serve Freedom, Democracy, and all loyal citizens - which the mutants occupying the corpse of the Midwest most certainly are not. But though you have been training and preparing for many years, it is only now that you have been selected for your first operation. It's a simple long-distance reconnaissance mission to the old Upper Peninsula, to find resources that can fuel the Enclave's mission to rebuild America - no matter what else has grown up among the ashes.

Plot: In the late 2200s, the Enclave is firmly established within the still-burning city of Chicago. Though not as outwardly or immediately genocidal as President Richardson or "President" Eden, President Gregory Winthrope has no lesser ambitions than the complete and total reclamation of America, and is willing to do anything to achieve it.

In 2293, the player character is part of a small reconnaissance mission sent from Chicago to Michigan's Upper Peninsula to investigate an old copper mine to see if it's worth reactivating for resources. The (tutorial) mission goes wrong as the mine is infested with wasteland creatures, and the player is only saved thanks to the efforts of a local wastelander. The wastelander takes the player back to their village, and from there the player has to find a way to get back to Chicago, while learning what 200 years of post-apocalypse has done to the Great Lakes region, and maybe also that the real monsters aren't the ones outside Chicago. Along the way they also find out that they weren't actually born into the Enclave, but instead were taken as a very young child in a raid against a remote village and raised to be a disposable asset for the revived American war machine.

Gameplay-wise, I'm imagining something akin to Metro: Exodus, with large open-world sections that the player travels to via boat, sailing across the Great Lakes and visiting major settlements or points of interest along the way. Getting the boat would be the first leg of the main quest, and the boat itself would be an upgradable player home that can provide various benefits both in and out of port.

The Lakes themselves are dangerous to traverse, filled with storms, sea monsters (giant mutated asian carp naturally) and countless pirates. Each lake also has a different character: Superior is pretty much as it is today, mostly clear of radioactivity and mutants but prone to extremely dangerous storms. Huron and its many islands are a pirate haven, and Michigan is a radioactive soup that gets increasingly contaminated the closer one gets to the Chicago Fire.

Major settlements/factions include Locktown, built atop the ruins of Sault St. Marie, Mackinac, a seemingly pre-war paradise sustained by a fleet of pirate raiders, Lambeau/The Pack, a warrior tribe out of Green Bay that worship the Great Lombardi, the Canadian Liberation Front, a handful of patriotic ghouls still fighting the good fight against American oppression, and the Big Three of the D, a loosely-aligned collection of warbands that control the automated factories still constructing American V8 muscle after 200 years.

Obviously, the player finds out President Winthrope is planning something heinous in their quest to control the wasteland, and has to figure out some way to stop it. However, after 200 years of propping up a dead nation, the Enclave itself is beginning to splinter and the ending is ultimately decided on two factors: How unified the Great Lake communities become in their opposition to Winthrope's plan, and what happens to the Enclave itself: whether Winthrope remains as President of a unified Enclave, if he's overthrown in a coup, or if the Enclave completely splits apart in civil war.

anyway mr. howard if you're listening I can start tomorrow

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Pwnstar posted:

Leaving aside story concerns: The ability to say "I know what I'm doing" and skip immediately to the start of the actual game, not tutorial land.

It's so pleasant to just walk out of Doc Mitchell's house and the world is immediately my oyster.

My fantasy Fallout game would probably be in a big city. New York, or Chicago, Metropolis (it's my understanding that at least one of these cities is not real??) some place with a load of big buildings. Dig around in ruined skyscrapers, probably employ some procgen so you can have several skyscrapers that are full of stuff without having to have designers make multiple massive megadungeons. Maybe it's a dead city full of monsters, maybe each skyscraper is its own faction, it could be anything with a beautiful big ruined city full of skyscrapers

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Whatever the next game is please lean heavily into the neo art deco / dark deco thing the first two games had.

I need more giant concrete screaming heads on buildings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Arc Hammer posted:

Can you reach Idolized status with Goodsprings if you skip the tutorial? Saving the lady down at the well from the Geckos puts you at Accepted status.

No. The only ways to increase your rep in Goodsprings are saving that lady, fixing Trudy's radio, and stopping Joe Cobb's gang. The latter two aren't enough to get to Idolized.

Arbite posted:

No, the wiki is wrong. You have to complete certain quests to get near the endgame before it will trigger.