Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Heading east in 2077 to fight the Legion at the first Hoover Dam and barely scraping a win could be considered the start of a downward spiral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

KoRMaK posted:

this was stated almost plainly, with the slightest bit of inference and deduction needed by the audience. i didn't even think it was a controversy lmao

Literal final shot of New Vegas complete with Lucky 38, a Tops billboard and securitrons in the credits and people were still somehow clinging to the evil erasure of all canon lol

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's too bad Rene Auberjonois passed away. Would've been interesting to see how a House controlled NV shifted without an NCR to siphon resources from and with a Legion that may or may not still be out there and looking for revenge.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Heading east in 2077 to fight the Legion at the first Hoover Dam and barely scraping a win could be considered the start of a downward spiral.
i start each of my workdays with this thought

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Gaius Marius posted:

It's too bad Rene Auberjonois passed away. Would've been interesting to see how a House controlled NV shifted without an NCR to siphon resources from and with a Legion that may or may not still be out there and looking for revenge.

Yeah I've been replaying NV and he's a delight to listen to

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Byzantine posted:

The fact that people keep going "[exact textual reading of Bethesda-Fallout, like literally things characters say directly to the screen while staring into your eyes], but I'm thinking about it way more than Bethesda does" would be extremely hilarious if it wasn't so constant that I feel like I'm going insane.

Which is funny, because I find people having to write pages of fanfiction to try and reconcile the canon and then claiming "oh this is all in the plain text and you're an idiot if you disagree" to be insane compared to the very simple explanation that the creators did not care about contradicting the events of past games when writing their show. Like, do you seriously think there was any more thought to blowing up the NCR beyond "huh, we want to set the show in LA but there's supposed to be some other faction already there in the lore? Let's say they blew up and call it a day." Do you think they just came up with these elaborate justifications of why the NCR capital was moved hundreds of miles or how civil society broke down completely within a decade and a half and then didn't use any of it in the show itself?

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

Did anyone ever actually use arcade gannon

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Sex Farm posted:

yea

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Sex Farm posted:

You didn't??? Guy was a great companion. Just sarcastic as hell about everything.

Edit: Or wait, did you mean use as in give him to Caesar or the cannibals, in which case no. Who would be so cruel!

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Which is funny, because I find people having to write pages of fanfiction to try and reconcile the canon and then claiming "oh this is all in the plain text and you're an idiot if you disagree" to be insane compared to the very simple explanation that the creators did not care about contradicting the events of past games when writing their show. Like, do you seriously think there was any more thought to blowing up the NCR beyond "huh, we want to set the show in LA but there's supposed to be some other faction already there in the lore? Let's say they blew up and call it a day." Do you think they just came up with these elaborate justifications of why the NCR capital was moved hundreds of miles or how civil society broke down completely within a decade and a half and then didn't use any of it in the show itself?

we've already kind of written pages of fan fiction itt speculating on the outcomes of FNV before Amazon Presents Todd Howard's Fallout ever existed, and one of the main takeaways is that the NCR is pretty much hosed

without the exact right series of courier-specific choices leading them from the brink they are doomed to repeat all the mistakes the former US government already made, not just if they lose but especially if they win, and that's just one of four possible outcomes not even counting the DLC where there's even more opportunity for their poo poo to get rocked, vault dad dropping a nuke is just the cherry on top of a collapsing state in like 90% of NCR futures

what i'm trying to say is sorry NCRailures, house supremacy forever

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Wolfsheim posted:

we've already kind of written pages of fan fiction itt speculating on the outcomes of FNV before Amazon Presents Todd Howard's Fallout ever existed, and one of the main takeaways is that the NCR is pretty much hosed

without the exact right series of courier-specific choices leading them from the brink they are doomed to repeat all the mistakes the former US government already made, not just if they lose but especially if they win, and that's just one of four possible outcomes not even counting the DLC where there's even more opportunity for their poo poo to get rocked, vault dad dropping a nuke is just the cherry on top of a collapsing state in like 90% of NCR futures

what i'm trying to say is sorry NCRailures, house supremacy forever

House is explicitly reliant on a functional NCR state to leech off of so any ending that results in the NCR getting rocked is also by default bad news for House. so congrats, we both lose!

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

out of curiousity i checked and my first posts itt are from september 2011 and arguing with someone about how no, yes man is not secretly evil and going to kill the courier and take over after the ending, really takes me back lol

Acebuckeye13 posted:

House is explicitly reliant on a functional NCR state to leech off of so any ending that results in the NCR getting rocked is also by default bad news for House. so congrats, we both lose!

if anything a capitalist society in decline would funnel even more money towards predatory gambling halls, the house always wins :owned: :owned: :owned:

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 18, 2024

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Wolfsheim posted:

out of curiousity i checked and my first posts itt are from september 2011 and arguing with someone about how no, yes man is not secretly evil and going to kill the courier and take over after the ending, really takes me back lol

if anything a capitalist society in decline would funnel even more money towards predatory gambling halls, the house always wins :owned: :owned: :owned:

can't have a capitalist society without a society!!!

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Which is funny, because I find people having to write pages of fanfiction to try and reconcile the canon and then claiming "oh this is all in the plain text and you're an idiot if you disagree" to be insane compared to the very simple explanation that the creators did not care about contradicting the events of past games when writing their show.

That's actually my bad, I posted that in the wrong thread. There's a different thread where somebody was going "i guess there's other super mutant factories on the east coast? dunno how they'd get there otherwise, but i don't think bethesda thought that hard about it".

Wolfsheim posted:

Literal final shot of New Vegas complete with Lucky 38, a Tops billboard and securitrons in the credits and people were still somehow clinging to the evil erasure of all canon lol

Ahhh, it all makes sense now. NCR stans are raging because despite having freedœmocracy, their imperial conquests ended in overextension and collapse just like every single other time.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Cleaning my basement.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I got Arcade Gannon as a companion only once I think I loved his “Uhhhh….” if you aim your weapon at him

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

tango alpha delta posted:

Cleaning my basement.

Intensely jealous of you. Lost my guide ages ago.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

RandolphCarter posted:

Intensely jealous of you. Lost my guide ages ago.

I thought I'd lost it too. I was very surprised to find it in a box in a lonely corner of my basement.

I just found this.

https://annarchive.com/files2/Fallout%20Vault%27s%20Dweller%20Survival%20Guide.pdf

Please enjoy.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Cleaning my basement.

Dang. Pretty sure mine is long gone. I might have the CD stashed somewhere but I have no idea where, I haven't touched a disc in 15 years.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Cat Hassler posted:

I got Arcade Gannon as a companion only once I think I loved his “Uhhhh….” if you aim your weapon at him

Try playing as a low INT build and he takes pity on you and agrees to follow because you definitely need help.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Arc Hammer posted:

Try playing as a low INT build and he takes pity on you and agrees to follow because you definitely need help.

You can also recruit him this way with a high INT build if you get really hosed up on alcohol and ant chems before talking to him.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

Dang. Pretty sure mine is long gone. I might have the CD stashed somewhere but I have no idea where, I haven't touched a disc in 15 years.

I know this is a little off topic, but you seem to be someone that might appreciate something else I found:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I know this is a little off topic, but you seem to be someone that might appreciate something else I found:

Nice. I don't think I ever had the box, just a secondhand CD.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

Nice. I don't think I ever had the box, just a secondhand CD.

One of the very, very best games I've ever played.

Even the Body of The Many, though it''s a huge pain in the rear end.

To get back on topic:

1) I binged all 8 episodes in a single night because it was so good.

2) Fallout 3 and New Vegas are absolutely rock solid on my Steamdeck; I've never had a single crash even after hours of playtime; Proton is some kind of wizard magic.

3) New Vegas is my favorite.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Even if the timeline makes complete sense and everything fits, to me it feels uncool for them to have such a massive change happen in the backstory of a tv show. Like how the bad guy built up the first 3 Assassin's Creed games was killed in a comic book. Growing the NCR was something that I, personally did when I played all those games so if anyone gets to destroy it then it should be me!

Though it could be interesting to explore society living in the shadow of the New Old World, atop the Old Old World in a potential Fallout game coming out in 2034. Fallout: Pentiment?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

it's so loving funny to me that shodan being in system shock 2 is built up as a twist in the game and then every piece of supplemental material is like this

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Gaius Marius posted:

Mr house was eaten by a grue. Vegas, um, fell into the ground. It has since been replaced by another exciting Brotherhood of Steel base.

Oh and the legion vanished and their place was taken over by androids sent over by the institute

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

Actually all of FNV after the intro was just a dream induced by the bullet stuck in the courier’s head you can thank me for saving your canon

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

chadbear posted:

Actually all of FNV after the intro was just a dream induced by the bullet stuck in the courier’s head you can thank me for saving your canon

So if FNV is out of canon, does that bring Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel back into canon?

Fallout has had a distinct lack of Bawls Energy Drink for far too long now.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

The PC big box is the GOAT physical media. I recently picked up a mint condition copy of Unreal Tournament 99 with the foldout cover like this and it's amazing.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I always figured the 2277 thing was a production mistake but I don't buy that we get a date for a vague fall of Shady Sands but not for the actual nuke falling which would be extremely easy to date, but either way, it doesn't fundamentally change my problems with the show because they weren't strictly about invalidating New Vegas' place in the canon.

At the very least, though, it should hopefully calm some of the dumbest discussion.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
NCR got nuked because some rear end in a top hat courier wouldn't sacrifice a copy of his flying robot buddy.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Angry Salami posted:

NCR got nuked because some rear end in a top hat courier wanted a spiffy coat.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Angry Salami posted:

NCR got nuked because some rear end in a top hat soldier got mad at a courier for "desecrating a war memorial"

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Angry Salami posted:

NCR got nuked because some rear end in a top hat courier miss clicked on a menu.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

They already recast House, if they want him to be in there, he'll be in there.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
Making House the canon ending would actually be the most unforgivable thing that Bethesda could have done, unless they correctly decide to make him the villain next season

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

They already recast House, if they want him to be in there, he'll be in there.

He's in the show already?

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

I want it to be the Yes Man ending and it turns out the entire time that Hank was talking to the House avatar on the big screen he was being tricked by Yes Man behind a literal curtain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

esquilax posted:

I want it to be the Yes Man ending and it turns out the entire time that Hank was talking to the House avatar on the big screen he was being tricked by Yes Man behind a literal curtain.

Hey, Dave Foley is still alive and well!