Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like different things about all the DLCs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The only thing I dislike about Old World Blues is how many enemies are just annoying bullet sponges.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Dongicus posted:

new vegas> dead money> fallout 1> fallout 2> far harbour> honest hearts>fallout 4> fallout tv show> lonesome road> old world blues> fallout 3

didn't play 76 or fallout tactics. might play tactics soon.

2 > 1 barring the terrible tutorial that was shoved in at the last minute.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It's me, I'm the guy who likes all the DLC

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

I'm just saying that if you're gonna draw a parallel to the US government's treatment of indigenous groups via the Bitter Springs Massacre it might not be the best idea to also describe the Indigenous stand-ins as drug addicts and alcoholics.

As a Canadian (I'm noting this because I know the situations are different north and south of the border), my understanding of indigenous elders/leadership up here is that they blame drug and alcohol abuse in Indigenous communities/societies on the aftereffects of severe cultural trauma and disempowerment from colonialist policies continuing through the current day. So the Great Khans fit that allegory very well, imo.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I love all the DLC but I'm a guy who is willing to put up with a lot of gameplay bullshit to get to some fun writing. I like the setting, I enjoyed all the setup and I enjoyed all of New Vegas.

For myself every bit of DLC was a treat, warts and all.

I guess I should say I wish New Vegas had received all the support possible, Obsidian is great and thanks Rope Kid for helping to make the best Fallout game.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

TGG posted:

I love all the DLC but I'm a guy who is willing to put up with a lot of gameplay bullshit to get to some fun writing. I like the setting, I enjoyed all the setup and I enjoyed all of New Vegas.

For myself every bit of DLC was a treat, warts and all.

I guess I should say I wish New Vegas had received all the support possible, Obsidian is great and thanks Rope Kid for helping to make the best Fallout game.

Yeah for me I enjoyed 3 and 1/2 DLC a lot, with the main plot of Honest Hearts being a wet fart (although Joshua Graham was a great character) but I loved the Survivalist.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I love the Dead Money gameplay,a side from one or two particularly frustrating runs with shielded speakers. It's creepy, it's evocative, it forces you to start from scratch and scrounge up a new arsenal and to use your skills in different ways.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Arivia posted:

Yeah for me I enjoyed 3 and 1/2 DLC a lot, with the main plot of Honest Hearts being a wet fart (although Joshua Graham was a great character) but I loved the Survivalist.

Yeah, the Survivalist is what saves Honest Hearts for me. drat, what a good bit of writing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Arivia posted:

As a Canadian (I'm noting this because I know the situations are different north and south of the border), my understanding of indigenous elders/leadership up here is that they blame drug and alcohol abuse in Indigenous communities/societies on the aftereffects of severe cultural trauma and disempowerment from colonialist policies continuing through the current day. So the Great Khans fit that allegory very well, imo.

Also Canadian which is why I mentioned it initially. The difference between First Nations drug abuse and the Khans is that it's very much caused by the aftershocks of government policy. The Khans on the other hand have always been drug pushers and violent thugs for probably as long, if not longer, than Shady Sands has been settled. It has been part of their identity forever, rather than being a symptom of NCR policies driving them to the periphery of society. So I'm hesitant to draw too many comparisons to indigenous groups because an allegory like that implies victimized communities would be awash in drugs and alcohol with or without racist government policies.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

Also Canadian which is why I mentioned it initially. The difference between First Nations drug abuse and the Khans is that it's very much caused by the aftershocks of government policy. The Khans on the other hand have always been drug pushers and violent thugs for probably as long, if not longer, than Shady Sands has been settled. It has been part of their identity forever, rather than being a symptom of NCR policies driving them to the periphery of society. So I'm hesitant to draw too many comparisons to indigenous groups because an allegory like that implies victimized communities would be awash in drugs and alcohol with or without racist government policies.

Fair point, thank you for the correction.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It's me, I'm the guy who likes all the DLC
It me as well

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Kahn's read differently if you buy into their NV mythologizing versus if you play F1 and 2 and know they're dumb assholes and always have been

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mean a big point of New Vegas involves recontextualizing the existing factions from previous games and asking what role they play in the modern wasteland that is rapidly leaving the old status quo behind. You either change with the times, leave, or die.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

The Khans are hilarious because

Fallout 1: normal, angry guys.
Fallout 2: normal, angry guys.
New Vegas: "So, the cub enters the wolf's den..."

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I mean after going from being owned to being owned, they decided to get real weird with it

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The Khans are bad because not once did I see Jack and Diane suckin' on chili dogs.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just shoot the raiders with an anti-materiel rifle, thus saving the wastelands

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Great - OWB
Good - honest hearts, dead money
Bad - lonesome road

It's all about what you like, tolerate, and hate in Fallout and how much of it is in each DLC.

OWB enemy spawns hate fun and hate you the most for being a sneak-guns character which most people are. But it has lots of stuff to explore, a pile of perks to tickle the reward center of your brain, and fun writing.

Honest Hearts is empty and the quests are boring busy work. The Daniel / Joshua dynamic is not as compelling as the writers thought it would be, Daniel sucks and is wrong. If you come at it too late the enemies are annoying. But it has the survivalist stuff and places to explore and to a lesser extent than OWB pokes the reward center.

Dead Money has annoying survival mechanics and extremely annoying murder radio things. The whole DLC is very ugly. The recipes and holo rifle are technically very powerful but don't tickle my brain at all. If anything they annoy me. There are some things to explore but they don't feel rewarding and some fun characters.

Lonesome road is a long slog punctuated by Ulysses ranting at you. I didn't mind the rants or the sudden backstory, I even really liked getting to know his crazy trauma, like I totally got the hair braid thing and how he kept reading meaning when it wasn't there. But I really disliked that there was nothing to do but march forward and shoot a new wave of enemies.

Your experience of each DLC will also vary a bit depending on your build. They all hate stealth, but OWB hates it the most to the point where the headless zombies have perfect Perception and will break your stealth from ten miles away. Honest Hearts and Lonesome Road at least only deal with it by spawning enemies on your head, while Dead Money hates you with four distinct mechanics but they're all manageable. Honest Hearts likes guns, Lonesome Road is neutral, OWB and Dead Money reward energy or melee. OWB hates your guns almost as much as it hates stealth. You have a very good chance of running through all your ammo and all the ammo in the DLC before you get through all the bullet sponges.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Goated: Old World Blues
Good: Honest Hearts Survivalist Story
Okay: Lonesome Road
Not bad, but not for me: Dead Money
loving bad: The rest of Honest Hearts

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Pwnstar posted:

The Khans are bad because not once did I see Jack and Diane suckin' on chili dogs.
well, did you go down by the Tastee Freez?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
There is a problem with the dlcs, especially OWB and LR, where they add all this fun new stuff but they’re clearly designed as endgame content that no amount of level scaling can compensate for. Which means once you‘ve gotten all your fun new toys you don’t have any content left to actually use them in, vanilla or dlc. Dead Money is the only one I think really works at a relatively wide range of levels.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Arc Hammer posted:

I mean a big point of New Vegas involves recontextualizing the existing factions from previous games and asking what role they play in the modern wasteland that is rapidly leaving the old status quo behind. You either change with the times, leave, or die.

I think it's weird to imply that the semi-nomadic tribal group is less-functioning or developed than the NCR or Legion because they like... dont living in permanent buildings? Dont print money...? i dont get the argument

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Jerry the Punk was the only Khan who's main hobby wasn't shooting at the NCR for funsies.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Buschmaki posted:

I think it's weird to imply that the semi-nomadic tribal group is less-functioning or developed than the NCR or Legion because they like... don't living in permanent buildings? Don't print money...? i don't get the argument

Sorry I didn't mean to say that the Khans aren't a society or that they're inherently dysfunctional because of their way of life, just that by the standards that "modern" wasteland groups use, they're closer to raider gangs from bygone days than they are to equals. The NCR doesn't even consider negotiations with them until the Courier suggests it, because it's easier to view them as a 120 year-old nuisance that hasn't been snuffed out yet. I brought up the comparison with the Brotherhood earlier because both they and the Khans are running into the same problem. Veronica sums it up in her dialogue:

Veronica Santangelo posted:

We just don't adapt like we should. Used to be that all you needed to get your way was a suit of power armor and a laser rifle. Now... people are armed and organized. They're not afraid. But we still stick to our old approach, because it's all we know.

By the standards set by the NCR (and via hearsay of the standards set by the Legion), both the Mojave BOS and the Khans are throwbacks to an earlier time in the wasteland, and they're both viewed by the imperialist factions as an impediment to further progress. Cass mentions the Tribals back west getting rounded up and "domesticated" by the NCR, which sounds awfully similar to what happens in the endings where the Khans stand down and the NCR herds them up. The Legion's appeals to the Khans for payback against the NCR also comes at the cost of the Khans' own identity, since the Legion smashes everything it can't shape to suit its needs.

Honest Hearts goes deep into the discussion of tribes, with Graham describing both the NCR and Legion as tribes. The distinction between tribe, gang and culture is very thin, and it's often imposed by those with established power. The NCR domesticates tribals. The Legion annihilates tribes and assimilates the remains into its army. The Three Families are only seven years beyond being squatters, poisoners and cannibals. Honest Hearts also touches upon the way different tribes' attitudes contribute to their long term viability. A group like the White Legs that doesn't know how to build or settle isn't sustainable. Eventually you run out of places to pillage. The same can be said of the Khans, though at least they know how to make chems.

The only ending where the Khans aren't rounded up, suicide bombed into oblivion, or assimilated into the legion is the one where they finally make a clean break from the past and establish an empire in Wyoming with the help of the Followers of the Apocalypse. That's the only way they survive, by changing into something that can be viewed as more than just a gang by peers.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I always wondered about surviving First Nations people in Fallout.

When I was thinking about making a Fallout: Montreal setting for a tabletop campaign, I had a revived Iroquois Confederation as one of the factions, before dropping the idea because I realized I was just making another version of New Vegas.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

All this talk about complex interwoven factions, and I’m just here trying to help Jason Bright’s great journey to the far beyond.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

who needs factions when i have all these wind brahmin

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

watho posted:

who needs factions when i have all these wind brahmin

Ah, another wise investor I see!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Bumhead posted:

All this talk about complex interwoven factions, and I’m just here trying to help Jason Bright’s great journey to the far beyond.

Even Jason's group is tied to the rest of the world via their conflict with Davison's Nightkin, who connect with the Super Mutant communities at Utobitha and Jacobstown, which have issues with the NCR.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Apr 23, 2024

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Lol where did that fucker in the Bison steve get an incinerator from? Ridiculous.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

incinerator store

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
If it can be bought, it can be found at Mick & Ralph's!

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
i briefly flirted with the idea of getting the death laser from That Lucky Old Sun this time around but i had flashbacks to trying to fire it off in caesar's tent while his guys pummeled me to death so i'm just gonna do equal power for all (and kill caesar with a .45 bullet instead)

i also stumbled across vault 11, had different flashbacks to arcade dying to the robots in the final room there on my very first playthrough in 2010, looked at arcade standing right next to me at the vault entrance, and just kinda backed out and left it untouched

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Despite having seen the LP of Fallout 4 on the Archive, I'm skimming through the mod thread for that out of curiosity and it's making me want to pick the game up on the cheap just to mod the hell out of it. I can keep the settlement stuff to a minimum, right? Just ignore it outside of the one time you actually have to engage with it?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Grimthwacker posted:

Despite having seen the LP of Fallout 4 on the Archive, I'm skimming through the mod thread for that out of curiosity and it's making me want to pick the game up on the cheap just to mod the hell out of it. I can keep the settlement stuff to a minimum, right? Just ignore it outside of the one time you actually have to engage with it?

You don't even have to do it that one time, if you just ignore the minutemen.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

dr_rat posted:

You don't even have to do it that one time, if you just ignore the minutemen.

Cool. Sold.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Broken Box posted:

the revised canon will be the laughing soldier was actually Randall Clark

Wouldn't be the only person complicit in genocide in Honest Hearts, and could be an interesting mirror of the path Joshua Graham could take.

Grimthwacker posted:

I guess you just need to set up Sanctuary to a minimum and go back there to set up the teleporter. You may end up with settlers showing up to settlements you've 'cleared' even if you don't set up a recruitment radio beacon, and there being less Defence than Food + Water may trigger attack notices popping up every now and then.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

LashLightning posted:

I guess you just need to set up Sanctuary to a minimum and go back there to set up the teleporter. You may end up with settlers showing up to settlements you've 'cleared' even if you don't set up a recruitment radio beacon, and there being less Defence than Food + Water may trigger attack notices popping up every now and then.

Forgot about the teleporter. If you're doing the main quest through the BOS you can build that at boston airport though, which I believe doesn't get any settlers or what not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Yeah the building thing is what I hated most about Fallout 4 and why I could never really get into it. I know I never needed to but I've got a little harvest moon lover in me so I wanted to try it and I just HATED it so I just couldn't dig into Fallout 4 knowing it was in the background. I just want to be some loose wanderer solving problems, not leader of a city damnit.