Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I just get the invisible wall remover mod and parkour my way across mountains like in every other Gamebryo game. Sure there's not much to see up there but it's better than trying to follow the navigation markers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The best part of F4's open world is that there are so many side locations with weird stories, but you have to read them from the terminals or even worse, listen to the god drat audio logs. It's a pretty good sniper wandering around the wasteland simulator, but you sort of have to make your own fun. NV actually has engaging and interesting game plot.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Fallout 4 has a lot of stuff to do in various places, so when you play without fast travel, you deal with a bunch of little things on the way to your main objective. In New Vegas, once you've crossed a road once, you probably won't encounter any new enemies there a second time, so fast travel makes sense. I've tried playing NV without fast travel and I don't enjoy it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/enclaveposter/status/1784395532477083867

Lol I get it.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

*hits level 2* I'm gay

SilverObul
Apr 19, 2008

Cockragon
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/77645

I like this mod (Transporters - Immersive Fast Travel) as a softer fast travel disable. Being able to locate moleholes to make more travel nodes is a nice touch of added exploration. In any case it is closer to my preferred style of fast travel where something so hugely beneficial has some sort of trade-off or decision making to it. Even the GTA style games have all sorts of cars and upgrade systems you can engage with if you choose. Just click and you are instantly there is boring, imo.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

SilverObul posted:

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/77645

I like this mod (Transporters - Immersive Fast Travel) as a softer fast travel disable. Being able to locate moleholes to make more travel nodes is a nice touch of added exploration. In any case it is closer to my preferred style of fast travel where something so hugely beneficial has some sort of trade-off or decision making to it. Even the GTA style games have all sorts of cars and upgrade systems you can engage with if you choose. Just click and you are instantly there is boring, imo.

This one is a different split: https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/69990

Talk to caravaneers and you can fast travel for a (configurable) cap expenditure. But, they only go to the places that are on their normal trade routes, so you've got to think about where they go that's closest to where you're heading, pick that, and then head out on your own overland as you see fit.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

This post shouldn't go without mentioning the goon who thought it was a "jock" trait to murder your gay lovers. Because that's what jocks do.

But the world-building in NV is good, IMO. Mister House is an interesting character in his own right, you can opt to murder the 200-year-old dude in his sleep tank if you want, and if you don't he makes you engage with everything else in the Mojave because he wants it all. NCR is a flawed construct at this point and you can see it for yourself. And then we have Ceasar, whose legion isn't necessarily the most realistic thing about the Expanded Fallout Universe, but they're legitimately awful and the game lets you interact with them how you please. Mostly shooting them in the head, but you don't have to.

F4 is just "my babby gone missing" and then it turns even stupider once you get to the twist.

SilverObul
Apr 19, 2008

Cockragon

Arivia posted:

This one is a different split: https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/69990

Talk to caravaneers and you can fast travel for a (configurable) cap expenditure. But, they only go to the places that are on their normal trade routes, so you've got to think about where they go that's closest to where you're heading, pick that, and then head out on your own overland as you see fit.

Nice. Will make note of this for my inevitable next run.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Every bit of praise New Vegas gets for its writing is justified by the existence of Yes Man.

Probably the only NPC (in any game) where I will willingly exhaust all possible dialogue options regardless of how often I play this game.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
The Legion are the only faction that make sense

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I made a character with Logan's Loophole, then drank 25 beers in Goodsprings so that I'd be drunk for several in-game days. But when I left Goodsprings and changed my perks, I still had Logan's Loophole. I don't know if that's a bug, or an intended feature of JSawyer so that you can't exploit the extra duration like I did.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Bumhead posted:

Every bit of praise New Vegas gets for its writing is justified by the existence of Yes Man.

Every playthrough I tell myself this time I won't side with Yes Man, and every time I'm lying to myself.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
This thread is making me think about giving up on survival Fallout4.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

rydiafan posted:

Every playthrough I tell myself this time I won't side with Yes Man, and every time I'm lying to myself.
there's just no more entertaining of an option

every other faction is so dower. yes man is a shining bright light to bask in

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Rappaport posted:

This post shouldn't go without mentioning the goon who thought it was a "jock" trait to murder your gay lovers. Because that's what jocks do.

But the world-building in NV is good, IMO. Mister House is an interesting character in his own right, you can opt to murder the 200-year-old dude in his sleep tank if you want, and if you don't he makes you engage with everything else in the Mojave because he wants it all. NCR is a flawed construct at this point and you can see it for yourself. And then we have Ceasar, whose legion isn't necessarily the most realistic thing about the Expanded Fallout Universe, but they're legitimately awful and the game lets you interact with them how you please. Mostly shooting them in the head, but you don't have to.

F4 is just "my babby gone missing" and then it turns even stupider once you get to the twist.

That guy should never live it down. "Duh I'm a confirmed bachelor... I'm an Alpha Male!!"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Buschmaki posted:

The Kings are the only faction that make sense

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

MonsieurChoc posted:

This thread is making me think about giving up on survival Fallout4.

Mod fast travel and save anywhere back in, lmao at tying potentially hours of your playtime to a Bethesda game not crashing at any random moment. It's neat to have the other stuff, I just like to pretend picking up food and water matters past restoring health between battles.

Walk when it's sensible but stuff like Nuka-World will task you to walk back and forth across about 30% of the map 5 times in a row shamelessly for some quests, ping ponging back and forth between the DLC travel point.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

KoRMaK posted:

there's just no more entertaining of an option

every other faction is so dower. yes man is a shining bright light to bask in
I love that in New Vegas, the NCR (the "good guy" faction) ending is basically 'Well if you personally did a whole lot of extra work and colored outside the lines on almost every single faction quest then things in this particular tiny slice of empire might get a little tiny bit better in the long run. Maybe."

RangerKarl
Oct 7, 2013
Game be a Western like that.

Makes me think about how many other ways cyberpunk and westerns cross over but htat's a different tale.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

NorgLyle posted:

I love that in New Vegas, the NCR (the "good guy" faction) ending is basically 'Well if you personally did a whole lot of extra work and colored outside the lines on almost every single faction quest then things in this particular tiny slice of empire might get a little tiny bit better in the long run. Maybe."

And yet if you do do that and the empire does more than the bare minimum to not be an inefficient lumbering beast it can handily flatten the big army of cosplayers that has been giving it so much trouble. It be funny like that.

RangerKarl posted:

Game be a Western like that.

Makes me think about how many other ways cyberpunk and westerns cross over but that's a different tale.

Well both Westerns and Cyberpunk tales tend to plant themselves on the frontiers of civilization, albeit in different ways. Westerns are literally on the frontier where the world isn't settled and the law of the land is dictated by who has what. Cyberpunk stories tend to be on the sociological frontier of a society, where you ask yourself if all those laws and rules that govern civilization even matter when a gun is in your face or a corporation is grinding you into the dirt.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

There should be a mod that removes fast travel from Fallout 1/2 and to go from Shady Sands to Junktown, you have to click down left repeatedly for 15 minutes.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I really need to do a psychopath CIA evil NCR run sometime

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Some of the Mr New Vegas radio clips for doing the evil options are hilarious.

Also, boo, the youtube channel that had the 2 hour long cut of all the New Vegas ambient music tracks got taken down.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

This is every NCR run. Leaning into it is a pretty interesting idea though.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Gaius Marius posted:

This is every NCR run. Leaning into it is a pretty interesting idea though.

Oh yeah I mean when Moore tells you to go slaughter the Khans you way yes ma'am instead of not being a dipshit

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

StashAugustine posted:

I'm always a little sad when I'm doing a run like this that killing Caesar doesn't actually affect anything at Hoover II: The Dam Battle Showdown. I get from a game design perspective why it can't but it would be nice if the Legion was at least a little bit worse from having essentially it's whole command structure taken out prior to the fight; less organized troops, poor communication, maybe a general or two out to take the whole thing over for themselves and backstab their way to the top during the assault.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Look the AI is trying hard enough as it is, it would be difficult to make them less organized.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Grand Fromage posted:

The only thing I dislike about Old World Blues is how many enemies are just annoying bullet sponges.

The trick to this is just suck it up and use the Proton Inversal Axe on the Robo-Scorpions. No, I don't care if you have 15 in Melee and didn't take any perks, just use it on them anyways. Why else are you carrying around all that Buffout and copies of Taeles of Chivalrie for anyways?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!

Orange Crush Rush posted:

The trick to this is just suck it up and use the Proton Inversal Axe on the Robo-Scorpions. No, I don't care if you have 15 in Melee and didn't take any perks, just use it on them anyways. Why else are you carrying around all that Buffout and copies of Taeles of Chivalrie for anyways?

But what if I need those later

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Doomykins posted:

Mod fast travel and save anywhere back in, lmao at tying potentially hours of your playtime to a Bethesda game not crashing at any random moment. It's neat to have the other stuff, I just like to pretend picking up food and water matters past restoring health between battles.

Walk when it's sensible but stuff like Nuka-World will task you to walk back and forth across about 30% of the map 5 times in a row shamelessly for some quests, ping ponging back and forth between the DLC travel point.

Sounds like it would be more simple to just not play Nuka-World.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Yeah every one of the NV dlcs is designed around making you interact or use some function or other of the game that no one used in vanilla, because 99.9% of players made a Gun VATS crit build. OWB is asking you, begging you, to use melee and energy weapons. gently caress them though I’m plinking away at Robo-Scorpions with my cowboy pistol and you can’t stop me.

Similarly Dead Money and Honest Hearts try and force you to use all those various crafting systems you’ve ignored. Lonesome Road wants you to learn to appreciate how awesome giant cannons and explosions are and actually make you use rad-x/away outside of that single vault.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Same with the bear trap gauntlet on the ghost people. Even with no skill it's enough to completely neutralize the regeneration mechanic. Turns out the devs put some thought into the stuff they put into the DLCs???

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Molerat isn't happy with his first impression of Zion.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

steinrokkan posted:

Same with the bear trap gauntlet on the ghost people. Even with no skill it's enough to completely neutralize the regeneration mechanic. Turns out the devs put some thought into the stuff they put into the DLCs???

Also the Nailgun rips Tunnelers apart in LR, even without any guns skill.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Also the Nailgun rips Tunnelers apart in LR, even without any guns skill.

A world where Tim from Home improvement not only survives but thrives,truly the worst ending.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I haven't played NV in a few years, and figured it was time for another run. I usually end up going energy weapons, science and repair, and just melting the heck out of things. I also invariably end up going the Yes-Man route. It's a lovely experience, but I wondered how the game goes if I went through totally evil. Maybe not in the sense of, like, killing everyone haphazardly, but siding with the Legion, and that sort of thing. Does it work out? Or do I end up missing large series of quests because I can't even walk into certain areas without every neutral person running from me or taking shots at me?

I installed Viva New Vegas (that took a while) and left everything as it defaults to, using that set of mods, if that matters much.

Secondly, how about interesting builds aside from "science wizard melting people with plasma"? Gimmicky is fine, but viable (considering the VNV mods I have in place) would be nice.

It would be nice to mix it up a bit. Any suggestions?

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019
The unique Recharger Pistol you can buy from.... the Novac guy(??) carried me through my the entirety of my last energy weapons run

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Play Sulik from Fallout 2 as the Courier. He gets drunk, he gets pissed off. He hits things with a big hammer. You can side him with any faction; either anti-Legion because of, y'know, the slavery or anti-NCR and House because 'civilized society' is who ended up enslaving both his sister and him. You'll have some trouble with certain enemies doing melee but it makes sense that Deathclaws would be something he wouldn't like handling by himself. Try to aim for perks that are going to boost your DT so you have time to get in close and start smashing people.

I personally always recommend one level of Animal Friend if you're going to play OWB just to neutralize the Night Stalkers but it actually makes some in-character sense for Sulik.