Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Sheen Sheen posted:

Hey, Dave Foley is still alive and well!

And still acting! Yeah, there's no way they'd recast him if yes man's in it next season, he 100% nailed that role.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.

Gaius Marius posted:

He's in the show already?

He's in some pre war scenes, all ambulatory and such

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sheen Sheen posted:

Making House the canon ending would actually be the most unforgivable thing that Bethesda could have done, unless they correctly decide to make him the villain next season

House ending is canon,, but ten minutes after the credits he suffered a stroke and the securitrons burned Vegas to the ground in a confused frenzy

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

steinrokkan posted:

House ending is canon,, but ten minutes after the credits he suffered a stroke and the securitrons burned Vegas to the ground in a confused frenzy

Awww, those poor securitrons were obviously morning the bastard. :(

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

dr_rat posted:

And still acting! Yeah, there's no way they'd recast him if yes man's in it next season, he 100% nailed that role.

They recast Stephen Russell with Matt Berry for the Codsworth style Mr. Handy.

I hope that Stephen Russell gets to voice something on the show. He's my favourite "hey it's that guy" voice from Bethesda games.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

steinrokkan posted:

esquilax posted:

I want it to be the Yes Man ending and it turns out the entire time that Hank was talking to the House avatar on the big screen he was being tricked by Yes Man behind a literal curtain.

I had an epiphany a while back and realized that Yes Man is the only truly moral choice among the four, and here we have several plausible scenarios to get him in the show

No Gods No Masters

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Sheen Sheen posted:

I had an epiphany a while back and realized that Yes Man is the only truly moral choice among the four, and here we have several plausible scenarios to get him in the show
I agree, but then of course I would.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Sheen Sheen posted:

No GodsTodds No Masters

FTFY

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
basic storytelling suggests house already being in the show and the implications of the final scene mean he will almost certainly be in it, and while I think they actually threaded the needle pretty well in S1 directly revisiting the events of new vegas in S2 will almost certainly be a clusterfuck. I guess a yes man ending would be the easiest to reconcile because the other three factions were squashed but then you have to get into what happened to the courier/etc and I'd just...prefer they not lol

not just because 'bethesda bad!!!' but also its the writers of westworld, which had maybe the biggest drop in quality from S1 -> S2 of any TV show I've ever seen

Sheen Sheen posted:

Making House the canon ending would actually be the most unforgivable thing that Bethesda could have done, unless they correctly decide to make him the villain next season

he was a villain in the game? still the smartest choice though :c00l:

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
This playthrough of mine is going to be “no-one knows what’s good for new vegas except me the courier”

Caesar’s going to get it

NCR will be tolerated until general oliver shows his face,then i’ll be killing or fusrodahing him back where he came from

House will be used then disposed of and i’ll keep the securitrons thank you.

Everyone else will fall in line.

Also i was thinking a funny future fallout intro would be beat for beat remake of FO3 vault but every year that passes everyone mutates just a bit more until your 18th birthday is just you sat at a birthday table surrounded by corpses wearing birthday hats.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I don't think they'll be in the show in any meaningful capacity but the legion is weird to think about

in 2010 it was such an obviously bad choice that you were only doing it to either be edgelord orphan killer lol evil, or you were doing it to be "at least the trains run on time!" fascist evil, or I guess you could be doing it because you truly believe caesar's hegelian dialectics thing will somehow create the perfect society through a merging of legion/NCR values which is an insane longshot

but in 2024 the legion is just...the way like 15% of the population think society should basically be run, and some of them are elected officials

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

basic storytelling suggests house already being in the show and the implications of the final scene mean he will almost certainly be in it
chekhov's house

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
Since the Courier is effectively a completely blank slate with no real backstory baggage like all the other protagonists in the series they can easily be handwaved away with “the Courier was a drifter who left the Mojave just as quietly as they arrived and was never seen again”

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Sheen Sheen posted:

Since the Courier is effectively a completely blank slate with no real backstory baggage

sam worthington cast as the courier confirmed

quote:

they can easily be handwaved away with “the Courier was a drifter who left the Mojave just as quietly as they arrived and was never seen again”

for sure and this is probably what they'd do but then why make it awkward by having them set up the yes man ending and then just gently caress off? seems like it would be a messy amount of backstory vs. some vague "the NCR fought a war here over the hoover dam, house was involved and people say he died but nobody knows for sure" or something

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
Honestly the Courier might work best in this setting as a semi-mythical figure whose motives are unknowable, someone who your average person might not even believe ever actually existed. I mean realistically how many people who directly interacted with the Courier during the events of NV are even aware of how deeply intertwined they are with everything that’s going on? The only potential survivors who would definitely be around by the time the show takes place are House and Yes Man—the NCR and presumably most of the higher ups are dead, and I would have a hard time imagining that the Legion still exists in any significant form if the NCR doesn’t. Neither House nor Yes Man would necessarily have any reason to bring up the Courier or their accomplishments—House would be admitting that he’s a paper tiger who hid while the Courier did all the heavy lifting which goes against every fiber of his being, and Yes Man is a rogue AI so who even truly knows what the gently caress he would say or do in any given situation

Really this just goes to say that the only people who could possibly be upset by how the show handles the Courier would be turbo-lore nerds like myself; your average Bethesda fan or person who’s only familiar with the show wouldn’t give a poo poo

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Do an anthology episode. Three stories about the courier, each one with a new actor behaving wildly differently.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

RandolphCarter posted:

Do an anthology episode. Three stories about the courier, each one with a new actor behaving wildly differently.

Unironically not a terrible idea. Ulysses makes no sense, the player has no memory of what he's trying to tell them. Maybe none of it happened and you are some kind of surrogate? Or at least SOMEONE he saw.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Obsidian games like to play around with the gender for previously established characters. In Kotor 2 Atton says Darth Revan was a sexy woman and if you call him out and say that Revan was obviously a man then Atton is like "sure whatever, maybe I like to imagine Revan was a hot lady."

So the Courier being this wasteland wanderer on a level similar to the Mysterious Stranger who comes and goes like the wind brahmin.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Sheen Sheen posted:

The only potential survivors who would definitely be around by the time the show takes place are

Most of them? Its only been like 20 years, right? Easy Pete is probably still kicking around, even

Lol this just made me imagine an aged Arcade Gannon played by Zachary Levi with a terrible dye job showing up, would fit with Michael Rapaport in S1 as a 'once respected actor now just yells conservative talking points' type cameo

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Obsidian games like to play around with the gender for previously established characters. In Kotor 2 Atton says Darth Revan was a sexy woman and if you call him out and say that Revan was obviously a man then Atton is like "sure whatever, maybe I like to imagine Revan was a hot lady."

So the Courier being this wasteland wanderer on a level similar to the Mysterious Stranger who comes and goes like the wind brahmin.
turns out you've been the mysterious stranger all along

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

KoRMaK posted:

Depends, unless the Lonesome Drifter has a bad memory of what his daddy looks like when you ask him if he's your son from a fling in Montana.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

KoRMaK posted:

Actually Easy Pete is https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/71537

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

Wolfsheim posted:

Most of them? Its only been like 20 years, right? Easy Pete is probably still kicking around, even

I was referring to people around who would remember that the Courier is literal Mojave Jesus; as far as Easy Pete’s concerned the Courier is just some guy who stumbled out of the Doc’s house one day and helped them with the Powder Gangers. He probably doesn’t know that the Courier is literally the person most responsible for the future of the region, and I would argue that this would be the case for the vast majority of the people that the Courier interacts with

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I'm guessing the actual usage of New Vegas will be set dressing, so they don't need to go too deeply into the Courier tbh.

Lucy/Maximus/Cooper will probably mainly be sticking to Cali and doing stuff with the NCR. We'll probably get side shots of Hank in Vegas, and it'll culminate in the end but for the most part we won't see enough Vegas for it to matter.

Also building off another fan theory I'm pretty sure is accurate I'm guessing the big reveal of Season 2 is that the East Coast Brotherhood came back, crushed and integrated the Legion, and smashed the Yes Men/House Vegas on their way back to Cali. The red/gold Flags, the switch from Chapter to Legion, the switch to Roman names, the whole "we once ruled the Wasteland", etc etc. It's too much and too clear. The current show Brotherhood is a Legion mix.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Rookersh posted:

Lucy/Maximus/Cooper will probably mainly be sticking to Cali and doing stuff with the NCR. We'll probably get side shots of Hank in Vegas, and it'll culminate in the end but for the most part we won't see enough Vegas for it to matter.

The ending is Lucy and the ghoul pursuing her father after the ghouls says hey we should pursue your father. Obvously they can get sidelined or whatever but the ending is pretty clear here lol

quote:

Also building off another fan theory I'm pretty sure is accurate I'm guessing the big reveal of Season 2 is that the East Coast Brotherhood came back, crushed and integrated the Legion, and smashed the Yes Men/House Vegas on their way back to Cali. The red/gold Flags, the switch from Chapter to Legion, the switch to Roman names, the whole "we once ruled the Wasteland", etc etc. It's too much and too clear. The current show Brotherhood is a Legion mix.

The BoS didn't need to incorporate the Legion to be fascist, they were literally already fascist in the last game, dumb theory gamers bad

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
It would be cool to have an aged companion character from NV to appear in the show. I think some of them could be played by their original actors

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Veronica would be the obvious one. Also feels like Danny Trejo always picks up the phone.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
Wait.... is there chance that Joshua Graham could show up?

EDIT: because I really want Joshua Graham to show up.

Foul Ole Ron fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 18, 2024

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Wolfsheim posted:

The ending is Lucy and the ghoul pursuing her father after the ghouls says hey we should pursue your father. Obvously they can get sidelined or whatever but the ending is pretty clear here lol

The BoS didn't need to incorporate the Legion to be fascist, they were literally already fascist in the last game, dumb theory gamers bad

The theory isn't that absorbing the Legion is the only way to explain their fascism, it's that the BOS has added a bunch of Legion-looking signifiers since the game

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
From what we have seen of NV in the show, a lot of the damage could of come from a "Destroy the Secriton Army" Yes man ending

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

It would be really funny if Veronica talked the Brotherhood into trying to accept the inhabitants of the wastes more and that was the result

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Wolfsheim posted:

I don't think they'll be in the show in any meaningful capacity but the legion is weird to think about

in 2010 it was such an obviously bad choice that you were only doing it to either be edgelord orphan killer lol evil, or you were doing it to be "at least the trains run on time!" fascist evil, or I guess you could be doing it because you truly believe caesar's hegelian dialectics thing will somehow create the perfect society through a merging of legion/NCR values which is an insane longshot

but in 2024 the legion is just...the way like 15% of the population think society should basically be run, and some of them are elected officials

Not really; Caesar wasn’t Trump and while the Legion were fascist, they were a specific bizzare quasi-historicist LARPer brand. The underlying appeal of the legion among idiots seems to have reliably been sexism and the shallow memetic cultural imagery, which translates well to the alt-right.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

StashAugustine posted:

It would be really funny if Veronica talked the Brotherhood into trying to accept the inhabitants of the wastes more and that was the result

Especially funny and ironic that the borderline luddite Legionaries would follow the first leader who exhibits a might makes right mentality post-caesar. Abandon all those lofty ideals about the superiority of swords, spears and gumption over modern weaponry the minute someone in a T60 crushes Lanius's fancy helmet in a metal gauntlet.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

2house2fly posted:

The theory isn't that absorbing the Legion is the only way to explain their fascism, it's that the BOS has added a bunch of Legion-looking signifiers since the game

the BoS has always had fake latin for their fake crusades-rear end mission, the show just kind of expounded on the cultier aspects of what that society would look like from the perspective of someone growing up in it (which is a fun contrast to the separate cultish upbringing of Lucy and the cynical realism of the ghoul). the stuff about showing force or whatever the current evil elder says is just slightly different shades of what the evil elder says in FNV if you depose McNamara or what Maxson says in F4 or what most cult leader antagonists say in most popular media with a fictional cult, I think people are just theorycrafting for the sake of it

like to almost everybody outside of Colorado and Arizona the Legion is just a big, especially vicious raider gang and I don't see how that would be really relevant after they lose Hoover Dam

of course I could be wrong and S2 goes all in on being a New Vegas sequel and Lucy is fighting marked men in the Divide while newly-Think Tank-brained Caesar duels Maximus for control of the Brotherhood but it seems unlikely

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

the only returning FNV characters I want to see:

-Oliver Swanick having won a different lottery, instantly killed
-Malcolm Holmes running up to tell the protagonists about star bottlecaps, instantly killed

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Wolfsheim posted:

-Malcolm Holmes running up to tell the protagonists about star bottlecaps, instantly killed

Fantastic, running a new high tech scheme.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Wolfsheim posted:

You'll get Ulysses and you'll like it

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Oh, I won't like it. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

TaurusTorus posted:

Fantastic, running a new high tech scheme.

ok i'm back on board with the legion theory if this chain of events happened:

-courier kills all the NCR at helios one
-legion moves in and fantastic joins up
-legion loses and merges with the BOS
-fantastic continues failing upward until he's inexplicably in charge of the entire west coast BOS