Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Raw_Beef posted:

To be fair the whole setting of OWB and its SCIENCE! theme is a direct paralell to the same themes in Venture Brothers. They both drew on the same concepts and in no small part do i think VB influenced the gags in OWB, and if James Urbanik was not Doc Venture for the last 7 years they wouldntve included him as the self concious underahcieving kinda whiney doctor O. They made a character like Doc Venture to be voiced by Doc Venture. Take whatever else as you will.

Now if benny's apartment had a Joeybot hanging out, and a room across the hall where monicabot and rachelbot lived, then there would be a Friends-Fallout connection. IIRC Perry liked Fo3 enough he practically volunteered for the role in NV.

I never played Wild wasteland OWB, what is the true VB ref? god i hope its two skelletons in Hank/Dean clothes at the bottom of some easily avoided trap.

I'm now picturing Matt Leblanc voicing Yes Man, and whie Dave Foley was great and it would definitely be different, I could totally see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

JawKnee posted:

I'm thinking of starting a new character with some kind of extremely restrictive theme, ie: only uses one type (or one particular) weapon, wears one specific outfit (using signature weapon/armor), and concentrates on a particular skillset and behavioral attitude - (hordes a specific item, irrationally murders X group, etc.) any suggestions?

Maria, Benny's Suit, kill everyone who tries to use you especially house, since it's ultimately his fault you almost took a dirt nap. Define "uses you" however ou want, but sending you on a quest without telling you the full story would definitely qualify (I'm looking at you Van Graffs).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Kharmakazy posted:

Yeah, I mean.. shakespear wrote some good stuff, but he got all those words from the dictionary so webster's basically wrote the plays.

I understand, and agree with, your point, but this is a terrible analogy.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Another Person posted:

360 man. Otherwise I would totally already have J E Sawyer Mod on at all times.

Do you have ED-E, fully upgraded he can be a little murder bot. I had him and Boone when I went to the plant vault and most of the time I couldn't get a shot off before they killed whatever was nearby.

Also, whoever said drugs is spot on, psycho and med-x, turbo for the tough spots. If you're melee, buffout stacks with booze.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

I was fine with the stealth suit being ironically chatty but GODDAMMIT STOP SHOOTING ME UP WITH MED-X IT WAS JUST A SCRATCH

Doesn't the HEV suit administer morphine to Gordon Freeman sometimes?

The HEV would say it was administering morphine when you took a big hit, but it didn't have a gameplay impact.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Right, I somehow forgot this is using the FO3 engine, but if it re-enables somehow I'll delete them. Or maybe just use one of the packs, if that's possible.

You can get the FallOut Mod Manager (FOMM) which lets you disable specific mods, you should definitely get it if you're planning on using any other mods. Each of the Courier's Stash components is a separate mod, so if you only want the tribal pack or the mercenary pack or whatever you can enable just one. If you want to mod further, go to the mod thread which has a killer OP that is up to date on where to start.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

rotinaj posted:

I reloaded an older save, managed to bump my Science up with Dr. Mobius's labcoat and a Science magazine and passed the hacking speech check with Dr. 8.

They didn't have to die! Everyone lived! I managed I was honestly most sad about Dr. Borous and Dr. Dala. They were the last ones to die in my previous try, 'cuz I was hoping they would un-aggro and let me talk to them. After going to work, coming home and giving it another try, I got everything to work.

That ending gave me the warm fuzzies.

Edit:

After thinking about it, I really think Old World Blues is one of the better DLCs I've played. I have but haven't played Honest Hearts and intend to get Lonesome Road once I get another paycheck.

I did all the Fallout 3 DLC, I did Knights of the Nine, Shivering Isles most of the way through, and Dawnguard. While the actual questing through the Big MT area got dull after my fifth building, if I was more willing to murder everyone, I coulda probably gotten through it faster and just killed everybody. But the story told, the experience, the amount of detail and depth and interesting powers all ended up very satisfying, and once I got the best ending, I really feel like it was all worth it.

And I'm still debating keeping a max-customized power fist around, or just have a Ballistic Fist, or have a Superheated Saturnite Fist.

Congratulations on saving the lives of a bunch of amoral monster creators who should have died of old age long ago Dr. Borous invented cazadors. Dala is head of lobotomite research, you know stealing the brains of anyone unlucky enough to wander close to Big MT. I'm mostly kidding, I saved them my first run through too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Benny bites it but Vulpes walks free? Some hosed up poo poo goin on here

Vulpes is a monster, but he didn't do anything to me. Benny interfered with my sworn duty as a courier, and also shot me in the head, he must die.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Avalerion posted:

I would be surprised if there isn't something in the eula that states anything made with their toolset belongs to bethesda.

Yeah, but it's never been tested in court, so who knows how enforceable that is. Like I sincerely doubt the guy who made Autumn Leaves could sue Bethesda, but apparently he's talked about making a standalone version of Autumn Leaves, would Bethesda be able to stop him from making that, since he already made a version of it using their toolset? Or The Witcher developers have said it's okay to port their armors and weapons over to other games, does that mean Bethesda now owns the copyright on those armors?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

aniviron posted:

Why get FNV on the switch when you can have it on a platform with mods though? Would you really take FNV on the go that often?

So I can play it on public transit.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

This is probably the first time I really wished I had archives, I remember that happening, but can't relive it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

What weapon is most Kingish? Only thing that springs to mind is Benny's gun. Maybe something Powder Gang for a Prison Blues kinda thing?

I'm pretty sure Elvis owned several revolvers.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

“With the federal narcotics badge, he [believed he] could legally enter any country both wearing guns and carrying any drugs he wished.”

Edit: Gotta rush Honest Hearts for an Elvis playthrough

"Elvis came bearing a gift—a Colt .45 pistol mounted in a display case that Elvis had plucked off the wall of his Los Angeles mansion."

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Nov 5, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Also (historical) Caesar The Conqueror was different from Caesar The Statesman. He committed genocide against the Gauls when he was campaigning, and I think New Vegas Caesar is trying to emulate that currently and then eventually pivot to Caesar The Statesman

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

There's been successful Anarchistic societies in the short term, they just get crushed by outside forces before they have time to establish themselves. Would the Paris Commune have collapsed if the rest of France hadn't surrendered to Prussia? What would Spain's last 70 years look like if the communists and republicans hadn't turned on each other?

The securitrons hopefully give them time to figure out a solution without just copying an old one.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The only Fallout Cannon is Fallout 1, 2 and New Vegas, stuff from other games might be referenced in those, and are thus also cannon, but it doesn't mean the rest of the game is cannon.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wolfsheim posted:

How can New Vegas be cannon when that's the one without a Big Guns skill, owned scrub

Why would you need a big guns skill when the Two Step Goodbye is right there?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Even if it were possible to implement it, a climb everything mechanic would probably completely break New Vegas and make it unplayable.

It would be *super cool* for a future Elder Scrolls/Fallout game, though. Not counting on it, given Bethesda finds ladders to be too problematic for their AI, though.

Daggerfall had climbing, it was completely useless because the few places you might think it could replace the levitation spell also had broken geometry that made you almost always fall even at max skill.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I don't think that's an indictment of climbing as a mechanic, but just of the fact that barely anything worked in Daggerfall.

It was an okay idea, and also no where near the most useless skill in Daggerfall (that's a tie between pick pocket and every single monster language).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Wasn't there some quest and or dungeon in Daggerfall that had you trapped in a pit or cage that you had to climb out of but you you had to be basically maxed out in climbing to even stand a miniscule chance leaving 99,99% of characters hopelessly trapped?

Yeah, it's a relatively early dungeon in the main quest and if you don't have either the mark/recall spell or levitation you're basically SOL.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

aniviron posted:

Though I do miss levitation and spell crafting, what I really miss is the game design philosophy that represents. There's no way you can put that in a game and go, "This isn't a super powerful ability that the players will abuse as much as possible." So Bethesda knew that those abilities were potentially game-breaking but kept them in anyway because they were fun ways to approach problems, and it was deemed worthwhile that the player figuring out what they wanted to do with all these tools/toys was more important than experiencing everything the "intended" way. Oblivion and Skyrim sort of turn that on its head, where most spells and abilities are heavily reined in, instead of making the game more flexible to deal with the fact that the player might be flying or casting weird spells.

They didn't take out levitation because it was overpowered, they took it out because cities were turned into separate loading zones and they couldn't figure out a good workaround for people flying over castle walls.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Well yeah they went from a game that included the entirety of the Elder Scrolls world to game that includes a small province of it. There's less of everything.

Daggerfall doesn't include the entirety of the Elder Scrolls world, it has several provinces of it, but most of the continent isn't in the game.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

House is okay with working with people that literally want to eat the poor, nothing is moral in the game.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I think the boomer kids are unkillable without a mod, not sure about companions you don't recruit, and there's probably a couple of NPCs you would have a hard time getting to without at least starting a quest or 2.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neurosis posted:

There's a team working on porting NV to the FO4 engine. My understanding is it's reasonably advanced so is unlikely to just vanish. I look forward to it because I get a better frame rate in 4 than I do in NV.

yeah, and Skywind will be released any day now.

quote:

Also while we're on classic Fallout may I take the opportunity to plug Arcanum. Similar appeal: rich world, comedy here and there, lots of exploration and sidequests. Done by many of the same people as the originals. Has a more compelling plot and novel setting too. Imo plays a bit better because things like the option of real time combat and the more elaborate systems ease through the crappy mechanics.

If Fallout 1 and 2 are too janky for someone I really wouldn't recommend Arcanum.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I don't really know how these things work, but assuming the NV->FO4 mod allows people to run their own mods on top of it, would it be that hard for someone disconnected from the original conversion to make a program that strips the voice files from a New Vegas install and pop them into the conversion?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I don't think they're white supremacists, I think they're white dudes who don't think through the implications of what they do. It's the same sorta thing that leads the creators of the Game of Thrones tv show to decide their next show is an alternate history one where the South won the civil war and chattel slavery exists in a modern day CSA.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

I think they were entirely aware of what they were doing when they added imagery very obviously referencing nazi propaganda. It's kind of silly to take a "oh, those precocious whites and their ignorance!" when it's literally traced.

That wasn't intended as a defence of their actions.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Iretep posted:

Yeah this topic on arcanum being a nazi psyops seems ridicilous. What next, calling starship troopers movie as fascist propaganda?

I'm not sure how much you're joking, but Starship Troopers is very obviously satire in a way Arcanum isn't.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

This is interesting, I always assumed that he was supposed to be Lenin

I'm just pissed there's no avatars based off the good John Brown.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

buglord posted:

If im going optimal savior independent ending route, is there anything I should be aware of with regards to Benny/Mr.House/Caesar?

Since I'd be forced to kill Benny at The Fort anyway, I decided to kill him with the Black Widow perk. (But I didn't sleep with him because my independent courier doesn't need the arms of a man). Am I cheating myself out of any major content/positive ending outcomes if I immediately put a bullet into Mr. House and Caesar when im strong enough? The rest of the game would be spent making everyone else happy, but im not sure if the order im doing this causes any unforeseen consequences.

I'm pretty sure you still get the battle at the dam even if Caesar's dead.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Iretep posted:

Caesar has a huge focus on having new babies for a few reasons. First off legion takes in a lot of outside culture that basically just gets told youre legion now. These people arent super loyal to legion, once caesar dies they might just return to their old cultural ways which is a big nono for caesar since he wants old cultures eradicated. Now a new born legion baby? That guys going to be super loyal to the legion. Hes going to be filled with propaganda of how great the legion is. He barely has no idea there even was a tribe outside the legion. He only knows the legion, he has nothing but the legion to fall back on once Caesar dies.
Secondly legion goes through soldiers like crazy since they use rather effective strategies but they also consume a lot of life. There simply needs to be a engine that produces a lot of babies and takes care of them in the background so this constant violent expansion is possible. If they didnt have means to replenish their numbers their expansion would slow down due having to wait for soldier numbers to replenish. And caesar doesent exactly have time on his side since he wants to get things done in his own life time.

I don't remember how the timeline works, but how long has Caeser and the legion been around at the start of the game, because if it's less than 15 years the babies haven't been helping anything.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

34 years. And the Legion doesn't strike me as a group that would have moral qualms about using child soldiers.

I'd only use child soldiers because they can't die in Gamebryo.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Caufman posted:

drat, two hours? I'm happy to hear a considered, positive opinion on Fallout 3, but what a barrier to entry...

I'm assuming it's a response to Hbomberguy's 90 minute video about why Fallout 3 sucks.

I'm glad Many A True Nerd likes Fallout 3, since he's made probably over 100 hours of LP video for it and I'd hate to think he only did it because those are the most popular of his videos.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

whydirt posted:

Yeah, I think Skilled plus Logan’s Loophole is probably the best generic minmax trait combination.

I often go with the one that boosts all your social skills at the expense of your gun skills since I use those way more often and generally only use one type of weapon.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Frog Act posted:

So I'm starting a run and playing the DLC for the first time, prolly my seventh or eighth time doing vanilla

Any new mods or anything to recommend? Also help me to make a melee character and actually stick with it for the first time ever

Do the Honest Hearts DLC as soon as practical, the tomahawks are amazing weapons.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

I keep meaning to make a Calamity Jane build but the six gun just feels like a pea shooter

Get the signature weapons mod, it'll make your preferred weapon level up with you.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

jokes posted:

I can't play without this mod. Otherwise I end up needing to use the same weapon every time.

The signature armor mod or whatever its called that does something similar is also important for playing dress-up.

They both give you the option of basically being too strong for things, but you can change it up yourself.

My favorite playthrough was using both those mods then using the console to give me the dress from Dead Money and the the space helmet, plus another mod that let me keep my haircut with the space helmet.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/ChrisAvellone/status/1041191605686829056

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Frog Act posted:

As awesome as it all looks, I just can't help but think its basically impossible. Nobody ever manages to succeed recreating these things, and FNV has so much content and complicated scripting. Like hundreds of quests with enormous branching options predicated on skills and dialogue and connections to other NPCs and time and faction reputation and karma etc etc. It took a game studio years to do it with full time professionals and recreating it seems like it would require something proportionately similar, even if its all there to be copied, don't they have to redo all of that complicated stuff?

Morroblivion was released in a playable form eventually. Of course I'm still waiting on Skywind and they've been at it significantly longer than the the F4NV team.