Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I think Fallout 3 was a great game, deserving of most of it's praise and it does do a few things better than Fallout 2 and Fallout New Vegas. It's also not as good as those games on some points, and even Fallout Tactics have some things it does better.

The way I see it, Fallout 3 took a look at the traveling you did in Fallout 1, 2 and Tactics and gave that travel personality and variation. It's the core strength that Bethesda as a studio has.

New Vegas doesn't do this as well as Fallout 3 did. It's more hub-based, where you travel between hubs but the roads have some interesting intersections, sure, but it doesn't feel as open as Fallout 3.

It comes down to what you prefer and I understand how most goons would like the Obsidian path of making a more interesting story and focus on characters. It makes for a more compelling memory than "these flowers by the road were nice" that was the Fallout 3 experience. People often draw lines to the main plot of the games to compare them to each other, but I feel that is a fallacy, because people who say they appreciate Fallout 3's plot, were distracted by the keys dangled in front of their faces and lost view of the overarching story and depth to which context and causality takes place.

They are confusing story with experience. Obsidian are just better at storytelling than they[Bethesda] are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

poptart_fairy posted:

Done repeatedly. Still nothing. Windows is telling me it's an issue with NVegas'exe but I've replaced that file umpteen times. It's just...argh. If there was something I'd done to the game I could understand why, but I haven't so I can't.

Sounds like the only thing left to do is a clean install. Just copy your saves into a new folder, delete it from steam and then delete the folder that held the save-games to reset the ini file when you redownload it and put the save-games back in the appropriate folder. Assuming you don't wanna play with mod settings by de-checking them and removing them from your data folder and put them in one-by-one if it works with no mods on.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

poptart_fairy posted:

It works, it works, it works. I had to delete everything but i-...poo poo, I misplaced my save file and got rid of those too. :saddowns:

I'm starting to think the save games were corrupting your game. So you might have needed to start over anyway.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Knuc If U Buck posted:

There's a difference between role playing within a game and posting little monkey cheese stories about the characters lives. I guess I just don't "get" the humour.

Yes, everyone has already seen what roleplaying can be done within the game so made-up literature has more impact because it is free from the restrictions placed upon them by the game engine and thus can be vastly more interesting to read about than outright copying word for word what characters in the game are saying.

Personally, I don't think they are that interesting, so I just skip over reading them, what is the harm they do?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

rope kid posted:

In Bethesda's defense, they've pretty much always made first-person RPGs.

Futhermore, Fallout does fit the mold of first-person RPG pretty well. I am a turn-based strategy fan though and I'm really saddened by the lack of modern games with TBS systems and buy games almost only on principle of being slower than real-time.

This is probably also cancelled out when I buy games like Saints Row because they are so much fun.

Omnicarus posted:

Wait what? I thought that Confirmed Bachelor was like a ladies' man. An alpha male like George Clooney or Benecio Del Toro that is ripped and masculine and doesn't get married because hey, plenty of fish in the sea.

Sadly, you are not a special snowflake of ignorance.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

CommissarMega posted:

C'mon, Omicarus is just joking, right? I mean, he even used the phrase 'alpha male' verbatim, so of course he's kidding!

Right?

If it's a joke, we can all laugh at it at least. I certainly hope it was.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

I still enjoy how Yes Man shows his displeasure in you betraying him for another faction by pointing out just how great you are for wanting to help others. What a great guy he is. :allears:

Yes Man is a bit more sinister if you are aware that he is capable of being plenty assertive from the beginning and just playing you like a fiddle by applying to your (the players) ego to get you thinking you'll actually have any power in New Vegas, while in reality you are just making Yes Man himself the new power of New Vegas. Essentially the same as Mr. House, but a robot instead of a life-prolonged human in charge, and Yes Man doesn't even owe you anything at the end, because he made you think you took advantage of his niceness.

It's pretty brilliant to convince the player they are doing something for themselves, while in reality just using them.

And it works, because most people aren't even aware of it.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

Aren't you extrapolating? All we're really told is that Yes Man undergoes a personality change at the end of the game. The end slide narration doesn't suggest at all that the courier wasn't the one in charge of New Vegas. Unless I'm missing something.

None of the ending slides say the Courier is in charge, actually. They say you freed New Vegas. It is independent, which can mean any number of things, I guess. But consider the Yes-Man's words before you go to Hoover Dam and all. He's not honest with you and might not have been earlier either, despite claims to the contrary.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Knuc If U Buck posted:

And why would the girl that bugs House's network tell you that she programmed Yes Man? She won't even reveal this unless you pass a speech check, so it's not like she's part of Yes Man's elaborate scheme to trick you into taking over Vegas or whatever it is you're trying to say.

I'll have to look at her dialog before I can really say more about that, but if he was truly an obeying robot, he would not have done half the things he does.

Like, why reprogram himself, or did he ever really do it in the first place?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Pharmaskittle posted:

yeah the legion isn't so bad if you're okay with rape camps and slavery, tbh :shepface:

Considering it's the post-apocalyptic future, I don't one can really apply modern standards to how things are done, with regards to slavery, sexism and rape camps. It literally is every man for himself and legion.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Snark posted:

Guys, let's not judge the rapists so harshly. There's been a war.

I only mean to imply that we are judging them based on our own societal creations as it stands. Such as things in past, we frown upon today, but back in those days, it was just how life was. Things changed, to suit a different life. Things will change later as well, and you might find that they frown upon society as it is today.

Very much likely that they will, in fact.

Snark posted:

As said many times before, if they left out the rapey misogynistic side of the Legion, the game would have a lot more grey area and would make the endgame decision a bit more complex. If their mentality was "The wasteland is a harsh place, so every man, woman, and child, needs to be a warrior" then you'd have a pretty compelling argument to side with them. As it is the only reason to side with the Legion is to be a completionist or because you're goony as hell.

Besides, using the physically weaker sex as pack mules is just bad planning.

Pretty much, yeah.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Berk Berkly posted:

The retro 50s America theme is just that, a theme. The Fallout world didn't actually end until 2077 in Nuclear War. Nothing says a Fallout in an Asian region has to be retro 50s China.

Pretty much. As a Scandinavian I didn't even notice that Fallout was supposed to be retro 50's Americana until I started reading about Fallout 3 pointing out how important that element was to the game. It was very much a revelation for me. It was just a funny representative of a bleak future outlook to me.

It fit for how the rest of the world sees America anyway and I think for other parts of the world, it could easily just represent the way that part of the world is most easily remembered, ideally or not.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Wolfsheim posted:

It would totally still be a Fallout game! It just wouldn't have vaults, vault suits, deathclaws, super mutants, the BoS or any other factions, or power armor! It might still have energy weapons and ghouls and raiders I guess?

Yeah, I hate the "the next fallout should be set in ____" discussion, too. Its basically just fallout fanfiction.

Hm, yes, fans speculating on where the franchise is going would definitely be based on fictive knowledge without any announcement.

It is more fun to speculate the fiction than to speculate the fact, which is that it's going to be made and it is going to probably involve everything we've had in previous iterations, regardless of how appropriate it is to have them there.

I mean, it wasn't appropriate for there to be Super Mutants on the East coast, but here we are.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

poptart_fairy posted:

"So you're intent on fighting the Brotherhood. Guess you better make me a target, too."

"Gladly."

:smug:

:shepface: Veronica was the one helping me kill every member of BoS before I found the self-destruct button. :shepicide:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Vault 34, I feel, validates Hardcore Mode.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Introspective revelations like what you experienced are what is going to be necessary for video games to move past the mass media proclamation that they are bad and drive kids into psychotic rages.

But it is not an easy task to make it a game at the same time and keep the fun in it. It's why Obsidian are miles ahead of the competition.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It'd be interesting if the next villain was utterly sympathetic and had everyone's best interest in mind, but you are opposed to each other on the mere basis that he needs you dead. Maybe because of who you are or what you have, represents a threat to his well-being or many other people's well-being and the quickest way to solve the situation is a bullet to the head, so the quest becomes trying to prove to him that there's a better way and a way to fix the problem without outright killing you.

Something most people do not believe exists at all. Heck, maybe the next villain could be the Brotherhood of Steel, wouldn't that be a twist. And your allies the remnants of whatever is left of the Enclave.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Sam. posted:

Maybe someone like Ulysses, who wants you dead for personal reasons, but with a bigger plan for the wasteland then just revenge?

Revenge is rarely as sympathetic than you actually representing a threat and having to live with it. Maybe even establish early on that you are a threat and leave the player with hanging doubts whether their survival is the right thing to do if it makes so many other people suffer.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Grinning Goblin posted:

Holy poo poo! Does that mean that whatever MMO he was working now is dead too? This is the best news ever. It has been way too long since that man has released a game(I think the last was Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines). But seriously, if Bethesda doesn't turn Obsidian into some sort of Fallout game writing company, then it is because they hate money and people who enjoy games that are well written.

He released Hunted: Demon's Forge earlier this year which was basically Gears of War with bows and swords. I hear it wasn't terrible in co-op, but my friend refused to buy it, so I've had it on the backburner after it acted like poo poo in singleplayer.

LLCoolJD posted:

Fallout 2 and Fallout: New Vegas both made the Brotherhood look pretty weak.
Yes, but Bethesda seems to confuse them for D&D Paladins, just because they possess that title. I doubt we'll see this though, because it isn't the style Bethesda usually develops games with.

poptart_fairy posted:

So, Yes Man.

:colbert:
I am forever corrected and kinda saddened by this. I liked the idea that you were always someone puppet and had to act as the enabler to others rise to power more. But it's Obsidian's tale to tell.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Strudel Man posted:

That would be a neat idea, but it's kind of hard to imagine a reasonable circumstance in which he would genuinely need you dead.

Off the tip of my head, yes, but it's not too difficult if you think about it enough. It doesn't have to be extremely complex. Just complex enough that you are a nuisance and need to be dead for things to start rolling. Or maybe something as simple as a pace-maker you have that is the only thing keeping you alive, it being sufficiently advanced enough to also be able to act as a key for a vault that holds an active fission reactor and it is steadily going out of control. Everyone knows it is going out of control because it is broadcasting in a radio signal everyone listens to and switches frequency often enough to interrupt broadcasts of whatever radio station is default in that game.

And that's a bit clichéd quick-thinking on my part. I'm sure you can make it an even more credible threat than a time-bomb. How about a broken water chip that has supplied the denizens of the entire Manhattan block with drinking water for the last 50 years, but every way off the island is laced with cazadores, so everyone are too afraid to leave and without water, they'll die, so...

Surely you can think of even better things.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Strudel Man posted:

I don't know that I could, really. The first one is pretty darn contrived (though I suppose some variant of 'the MacGuffin is inside you, keeping you alive' could work, even if it would make a peaceful resolution less possible). The second, I don't even know what your death would do to help.

Some idiot made a pacemaker from parts that could be used to construct a water-chip and put it inside of you to keep you alive was the idea. Think Doc Mitchell patching you up, except using extremely rare parts that are difficult to replicate with the resources currently in the wasteland. Trying to build a replacement water-chip or getting a different pacemaker or whatever could be the red thread.

Again, I'm just saying poo poo off the tip of my tongue. As it is, it's pretty primitive and would need some real elaboration. But I like it when a game is straight-forward as well.

^^^: poo poo, I'd buy Fallout: Oslo, especially if it included the entirety of Akershus, cause that's where I live and that's what I fantasized about since I first played Fallout. :downs:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Strudel Man posted:

that totally doesn't matter because it's that gun from Blade Runner.

This is really the only argument you need for why you should use That Gun and never switch away from it.

I still would like it more if I could kill everything with it.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

YOURFRIEND posted:

How the gently caress am I supposed to break the ultra-luxe without slots? I don't know how to play any card games at all and I am not going to learn for a video game and roulette never works out for me :(

Blackjack is the easiest card-game to learn. The goal is to get as close to 21 points as possible without exceeding 21. Exceeding 21 is automatic loss. You just add the numbers of the cards you have drawn. If they have pictures, they are the same as a ten. An Ace is either 11 or 1.

That means usually if you draw a picture card and an ace, you automatically win, because 10 + 11 = 21. If you draw two aces, 11 + 11 = 22 and would thus automatically lose. So one of the aces will count as a 1 instead.

Hit means draw another card (carries risk of exceeding 21) stand means you'll keep what you have. Usually you want to go above 16 before standing. Double down means you double your wager for the next card and then stand after that, so you can't draw more cards than one more.

It's easier than most RPG's.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Coincidentally, today is my mom's birthday too.

Two anniversaries I've completely forgotten about. Work is too drat distracting.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

poptart_fairy posted:

Nice little statement about the Legion and Caesar/misogyny on ROpekid's Formspring:

That is interesting. That sort of viewpoint could justify a future civilization after Caesar's rule, in the "take a step backwards before leaping two steps forward" kind of way.

But speaking long-term, it isn't any more valid than NCR rule, if they'd get their act together, but it makes more sense than what I had an earlier perspective of them of.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

My other point is that this is one of the reasons I love Fallout in general: People play based on themselves even if they don't realize it. It may sound like some 11th grade psychology poo poo, but it's like a real life situation: Some people will inherently side with Legion, some will side with NCR, and the majority will just say "no gods no masters" and take over Vegas for themselves. Gimmick runs aside, anyone who has learned anything about either faction (read: read some articles on the fallout wiki) will form their own opinion on who to side with, and siding with the other faction will become the subject of their "do this just to try it" run.
What about those who side with Mr. House?

Your other point is interesting, if a bit true. Anyone who has roleplayed for a longer period of time knows it is true, you can not divorce everything from your subconsciousness from your character. You can change major things, surely. You can shoot people one time, side with one faction one time and a different one another, you can specialize in melee weapons one time and energy weapons another.

But for any outside observer, they can tell there is something you do in every one of those play-throughs that they do not.

Maybe it's in how well you know the game-system and will intentionally game the system to give himself advantages a truly new player would not. Maybe it's how good you are at directions or recognizing landmarks, despite making a character with low perception and intelligence. The companions you chose based purely on their performance. Incessant reloading. Tiny things. Things that ultimately do not matters maybe, but still would have been played differently by twenty different people.

And as your point is about, how some people feel naturally drawn to the NCR. I think ropekid once said Scandinavians would find more in common with Mr. House and indeed, I keep getting drawn back to his faction over the NCR, whom I do not like at all and do not feel very drawn towards helping.

I don't know who feel drawn towards the Legion, because we encounter them when they are at their absolute worst and are presented as an absolutely unacceptable faction to most sane individuals.

It's a shame, but it makes me wish there was a fourth faction that were evil, but against the Legion as well.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Dammit Who? posted:

I love the Legion conversations because it always brings out the people who go "Hm, yes, rape camps, but have you considered that raped women produce babies? Let it not be said we failed to examine both sides of the argument" and puff sagely on their bubble pipes

It made more sense 2000 years ago. The legion is pretty much civilization regressing 3000 years, from a moral and sociological stand-point.

... Well, I say that, but for all I know, this might just take place somewhere on Earth today.

And that makes me depressed. :smith:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Zodium posted:

Did ropekid give a reason for that comment? As a Scandinavian, I find that eerie, because I was all about House until he went all anti-Brotherhood and I done killed him dead (I don't care what any of the haters say, I've been down with the BoS since I played Fallout 1 as a kid :colbert:), and yet he really doesn't strike me as being particularly Scandinavian or possessing Scandinavian characteristics or values. Why would he appeal particularly to us?

I don't remember word for word what he said, and I don't recall what thread he said it in, sadly. Though he does read this thread, so maybe he remembers what he said. It could have been in an interview as well.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

steady posted:

Since Deus Ex was mentioned...

Dear Obsidian,

If you do decide to make Fallout 4, can we have playing character VA? It will give him/her a personality thus making game even more enjoyable to play (and popular). As is, for the most part it just feels like I'm a drat Securitron displaying all those dialog options on its CRT display. NPC's then read my chosen reply.

You represent everything I hate about game design in the last few years.

Every time someone says "It's inexcusable to not have a voiced main character in a game in 2010/2011/2012" I feel like punching them in the mouth.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

I felt so much more connected to my character in Dragon Age 2.

Which three of them?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Humorous edit: Let's just say 95%, because that's the highest hit chance you can get and apparently we are operating with facts based around Fallout's combat system now.

Derek Dominoe posted:

Question - Is there any information about Victor after you kill House? He obviously peels out of the Lucky 38 in a hurry. I imagine he had some sort of pre-programmed mission for that event, but I don't think he's seen again in NV. Was this included as a loose thread to weave House back into a future game?

I'm sorry, but Victor and the rest of the Securitrons *were* Mr. House. It was him controlling them all along via remote control and typing in actions on a keyboard for what they should say to you.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I remember that originally all the factions were going to be "more grey" and probably didn't have the Legion be so morally repugnant, but it was dropped to reinforce the very dark difference between the Legion and the NCR, with the latter being portrayed more as the good, incompetent guys.

House was made to appeal to Scandinavians or something like that, from what I remember rope kid posting about.

I do kind of wish we got the grey storyline instead of these "best choices".

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Undead Unicorn posted:

Only House and Yes Man are good guys. :colbert:

Mostly due to lack of bodies with which to commit rape.

:catstare: I just lost all faith in humanity of the Fallout games. And in general.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Death by Cranes posted:

This is a statement I whole-heartily concur with. This wishy-washy good and evil is too common and boring.

But seriously - really? Scandinavians? Did I miss the memo that puts us in the moral grey zone?

Our ~*~Socialism~*~.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

Come to think of it, the whole, "take any woman you want" attitude the Legion has doesn't really seem to mesh with their otherwise puritanical views on drugs and leisure. It seems a bit like it was just shoehorned in to make them seem more evil, as if Nipton, Camp Searchlight, Lanius, Honest Hearts, random caravan ambushes, and slavery wasn't enough.

Interesting tidbit from ropekid earlier on this:

rope kid posted:

Whether you think it's a "legit" reason or not, it's actually to ensure that the Legion breeds as many new legionaries as it can at the fastest possible rate. The way it is communicated in game often comes across as "traditionally" sexist instead of "follow these gender roles for army min-maxing".

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Keeshhound posted:

That's kind of just how he is; he's got quite a few videos up where he, for lack of a better word, lectures on all manner of topics, and he sounds like that in all of them. I guess he's just a dry person. :shrug:

He actually tries to sound this way, since it's a review form based on Mr. Plinkett's Star Wars reviews.

Albeit he doesn't crib it entirely, since he doesn't have the obscene cut-offs that made Mr. Plinkett's reviews memorable and freaky, but honestly, his videos are meant more as an informative take with just his own tone on it, since he felt it sounded more dignified than a normal video like a screaming fanboy might make on a given subject.

Besides, apparently both Brian Fargo, JE Sawyer and Chris Avellone watches his videos with amusement, so it's gotta be worth something.

But you're probably better off enjoying them if you liked Mr. Plinkett's Star Wars reviews.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Plus, Fallout 3 has the unbeatable appeal of Dogmeat. Rex is cool or whatever but he's no Dogmeat.

It's not the real Dogmeat.

:negative:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Ofaloaf posted:

So what's the best source to read about the making of the Fallout series and the inspiration for it all? Over the weekend I came across some old reading material, and, well:

Funny thing, this is the first few pages of the Fallout 1 manual. That's the extent they went through for ~*~immersion~*~ in the old games. :allears:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

SpookyLizard posted:

Megaton still doesnt make sense because how does an exploded bomb leave a crater? What windstorms? The ones never mentioned by anyone ever? Where do they get water? Food? Why does anyone live there? The place is a loving dump and it has lines of people wanting to live there.
Well, an exploded bomb could make a crater, just not an exploded nuclear bomb. Nukes aren't really known for their crater-making capabilities. The way I heard it, it did not explode because it landed in a crater that was already there, but there were things cushioning its fall, confirming to me that Bethesda grasps how explosive missiles work, but didn't study how a nuclear bomb works.

SpookyLizard posted:

And an unexploded bomb exposed to the elements is pretty awful since it might be actively leaking radiation and poo poo.

Considering that the compartments that contain the actual radioactive elements are probably deep inside the bomb, I don't think this is really something to worry about. Besides, a nuclear bomb doesn't carry that much in the way of actual radioactive material and it would degrade very quickly* to the exposed environments if that were to happen.

That said, an explosion wouldn't even happen unless someone triggered the internal explosive charge that would launch the isotopes together that would cause a chain reaction anyway.

For more information about nukes, please watch this video. It's very informative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Chronojam posted:

In the Fallout world, the weapons do have a lot of radiation about them, like the one in Megaton or that storage warehouse that's even got the green floaty particles between bombs on racks if I'm not mistaken.

I remember finding that room, thinking I'd be radiated to hell in there. Somehow, there's floating green particles, but no radiation at all.

Fallout 3 also managed to make me really paranoid about water, which made New Vegas a very nice surprise when green muddy puddles no longer tried to kill me.