Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Zilkin posted:

You guys make this game sound so good, was thinking of waiting for GotY edition but now I don't know. Whats holding me back is that the game + all the DLCs cost like 70 euros on Steam. Is this game really worth that?

The vanilla game is EASILY worth the $20 it costs on Steam right now. Buy it for that price, and then wait until Christmas for a deal on the DLC's. The base game will keep you busy for that long, probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

V!ntar posted:

I just started a run with both Charisma and Luck set to 1. It's gonna be loving rad :v:

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

I just finished Lonesome Road and got the House conversation/duster even though like the first thing I did in Vegas was pop the flavor seal on that mummy bastard and go fist bump Yes Man before beginning a campaign of terror against the NCR and Legion. Whatever, the House coat looks coolest anyway.

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

edit: also I went into VATS to shoot a Marked Man with a chainsaw, but when I saw his name I was compelled to switch to a ballistic fist and run at him shouting "BONESAW'S RRREADY!" lonesome road was worth the purchase, is what I'm saying

Pharmaskittle fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Sep 28, 2011

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Upmarket Mango posted:

He loves Arcanum but was confused by New Vegas five minutes in.

How...

:psyduck:

My sentiments exactly. Arcanum is possibly my favorite game too, but holy poo poo is it aggressively unhelpful.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

KnightLight posted:

I actually felt horrible for doing this.
Lonesome Road spoiler.
http://imgur.com/Ow28x

Somewhere, Chris Avellone sheds a single bitter tear.

I ended up quickloading and doing this too after doing the conversation the way I wanted to, once I realized that he had eaten literally hundreds of 5.56 rounds and wasn't even half dead.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Tewratomeh posted:

To supplement this, if you happen to have Dead Money be sure to find the Weapon Repair Kit code and Return Cigarette Packs/Cartons codes for the vending machines, then scavenge any and all cigarette packs and cartons you find. You can get a ton of Weapon Repair Kits that way, since apparently everybody in Pre-War times smoked like a chimney.

One of my characters, the one that found the Repair Kit code, has about 50 Weapon Repair Kits now. I could probably get more but I got tired of traveling back to the vending machine to unload cigarettes.

That reminds me: I always pick up cigarette packs and cartons because they seem to have a really good ratio of weight to value. Is there a better super common item to do this with, or are smokes about as good as it gets?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

^^^running around in a sewer naked and out of my mind on Psycho with no weapon but a chainsaw was super fun and desperate, but yeah it was mostly pretty lackluster

SynthOrange posted:

Oh come on, who doesnt love inbred yokels that're stronger than a dozen supermutants?

the skinnier a hillbilly is, the tougher he is. this is a real-life rule

Pharmaskittle fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 1, 2011

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Ddraig posted:

I wouldn't call the Legion evil. Caesar is a very, very smart man that decided that the current faction's ways of doing things weren't really productive to the rebuilding of society. As well-intentioned as the Followers are, they very rarely actually get anything done. The Legion may crack a few eggs, but if you want to make an omelette that's what you need to do.

yeah the legion isn't so bad if you're okay with rape camps and slavery, tbh :shepface:

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

I suppose they could try and find a place to do in the Midwest?

The lost city of Atlanta. (actually New Orleans would be really cool because it'd be like Venice by the time of the Fallout future)

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

The antagonist of course is the magician!

a pre-war imitator like The King, only of Huey P Long, would basically make it a GOTY hands-down

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Wooph posted:

What are everyone's experiences with shotguns? How do they compare with other weapon categories at end game? How do you deal with high DT targets? The stats on the wiki look a little underwhelming, but maybe I'm missing something here.

the Shotgun Surgeon perk helps tremendously with high-DT enemies, but yeah you probably want to be carrying a second gun to deal with hard/long range targets anyway. I kept a Combat Shotgun with magnum shells in my inventory until the very end.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

I've never played normal either. It's not like Hardcore is difficult or inconvenient or anything, it just adds a little more immersion.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You had to buy food and drink? I've never had to buy either.

and yeah who has to buy that poo poo? next you'll say you had to pay for hotel rooms to get your sleep meter down instead of just murdering a hobo and sleeping on his cardboard bed

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

I just find enough food in nasty refrigerators to keep me going, and drinking from a water source zeroes out your h20 meter immediately so I just borrow peoples' sinks every time I go into a house even if I'm not getting a warning yet. Once you go through a few areas you'll see Bighorners and you can just blow their heads off for their meat that drops your food by 300 or something retarded, and then you should be set forever on carried food.

ed: the bighorner thing is without Survival, so I guess you could probably get more out of them if you just don't have anything better to do with your skill points (you do)

Pharmaskittle fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 4, 2011

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Star Guarded posted:

Man, Courier's Mile was fun. Took every drug in the game, took off all of my armor, walked in with A Light in Shining Darkness and 300 hand load rounds. 10 Implant GRXes and 5 Turbos later, I'm surrounded by deathclaw corpses, my gun is broken, I'm out of ammo, I'm addicted to everything, and I don't even want any of the loot in the place.

I don't understand what this Courier's Mile y'all keep talking about is. Is that a mod, or was it a part of Lonesome Road that I didn't go to or notice?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

The one that went all Little Shop of Horrors turns me around at least once every time I have to go in it, just because of the doubling-back you have to do to get to objectives. Vault 21 and the Fiend Vault gave me some trouble because I get turned around by the big multi-level hub rooms for some stupid reason.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

You left out the punchline picture where your guy has clown hair or something to show that it really was a joke and not overwrought fan fiction all along.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Death by Cranes posted:

I didn't seen an answer for this and: yes, I'm pretty sure it is. Rhonda and Tabitha are dead man! Dead!

is there a way to get Raul without that happening? because it's probably my favorite radio station

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Just finished my very first Yes Man/Independent run. I wasn't super into it until I stopped giving a gently caress about anything and started shooting any sign of authority I saw, regardless of uniform, taking care of every problem in the most expedient way (usually 5 rounds of 5.56 son, time to die)

Getting the Boomers on my side and seeing them drop bombs just ~wherever~ ruled.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Xik posted:

The bold part. He obviously doesn't mean it in the literally sense, in that going out and actually trading food supplies for water because that doesn't make sense in the context of him being trapped in a cave unable to get out.

Yeah, what the other guy said. He's burning calories (energy) to get water. What he's doing is more strenuous than would be ideal when he's trapped someplace for an indefinite amount of time.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Play as Harold.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

How could you play as a pile of burnt wood?

The appeal of playing Harold is obviously to play through the actual apocalypse and various points afterward. Could just retcon the whole tree thing though, Harold deserves to go out in a better game than F3.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Tewratomeh posted:

I think as far as anyone knows, Mr. House is still alive and well and ruling New Vegas. You hear people very slowly spreading the word that he might be dead, but nobody knows for sure. Even if they thought he was dead, I don't think most people would jump to the conclusion that control of his empire was handed over to an artificial intelligence that would do everything they command.

Also it's not like the Securitrons stop keeping order once House is dead. Presumably they keep on keeping on with their orders to keep everyone but you and your homies out of the Lucky 38 where Yes Man now lives. Nobody else would have the opportunity to even talk to him.

Pharmaskittle fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Oct 12, 2011

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

Wait, is he supposed to be in the Lucky 38? He just moved outside The Tops in my game.

That happens? I always had to go back to Benny's room to talk to him until I blew House away and he teleported to the jumbotron in the penthouse.

I never saw him outside on the Strip, but maybe that happens if you don't murder Benny before finding him (I've never not killed Benny)

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Rayjenkins posted:

So I finished Dead Money, and I actually really enjoyed it, despite the fact that I had literally no points in combat skills or sneaking. I was able to finish it with probably 100k+ worth of caps in pre-war currency, and that doesn't include the gold bars locked in the vault. Sadly, only got away with one bar because my character is a pansy. By the way, was anyone able to escape with all of the loot?

Overall, was pretty fun. Probably going to try out honest hearts next.

Speaking of money, where are more good places to sell poo poo (preferably other than the commissary in Lonesome Road)? Gun Runners is usually good enough for me and I really love the convenience of fast-traveling to within 10 feet of it, but sometimes their money supply doesn't hold up. Also, am I correct in my assumption that pretty much all of the gun upgrades in the game eventually cycle through the GR kiosk?

ed:\/\/\/as a dude who lives very close to NO and frequently spends time there, this is the idea I keep coming back to

Pharmaskittle fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Oct 12, 2011

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Berk Berkly posted:

That is actually http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Denver

Holy poo poo, that owns.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Hold on here, we know which game series needs the sequel.

Don't get my hopes up! :mad:

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

turboraton posted:

Totally unrelated to Fallout but... guys I have never played Arcanum but I have heard MANY good things about the game. Should I play it or has the game aged badly?

Arcanum is aggressively unhelpful when it comes to telling you where to go and what to do next, which is super cool but might turn you off if you prefer having waypoints to wandering around and having no clue where the gently caress the plot is supposed to go. Combat is bad and you can build a broken character super easily, but the character creation, soundtrack, and story/setting pretty much rule.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Upmarket Mango posted:

Does anybody have a link to the video on how to pronounce Paciencia?

I'd imagine pah-see-in-see-ah, assuming it's Spanish.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

SpaceMost posted:

I thought reviews were generally favorable except for on NMA where everyone poo poo on the game, probably because NMA posters were dyslexics who misread ": Tactics" as " 3".

The only thing I remember really well about Tactics is hauling rear end through an awful city dodging rockets in an APC, which owned.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Berk Berkly posted:

Now you know how I feel. I've done the same thing a few times over now. I'm basically doing gimmick runs like my current "Logan's Loophole" run. That is the starting trait that makes chems last twice as long and never become addicted but you can't ever level past 30. Before that I had a Hardcore mode Pure-Cannibal run.

I'm ultra-power gaming in my Logan's Run. Hit 10 INT before level 3 by rushing to New Vegas and getting implants, gambling with high luck for more money, educated at 4, Comprehension somewhere down the line to make skill books give +4 and mags +20 so I can with the help of a few +skill items, such as the Vault 3 ultilty suit( +5 Repair / + 5 Lockpick ) or Followers lab coat (+10 Science / +10 Medicine ) I can hit pretty much ever check in the game.

Yeah, Logan's Run is a fun trait because you can still get plenty of skill points and none of the 30+ perks are really that cool anyway.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

SpaceMost posted:

Is Dead Money universally considered the worst of the DLCs?
Honest Hearts was a lot of fun, and I am considering playing Old World Blues next, but I hated almost every second of Dead Money and I'd rather not play something similar.

Dead Money owns bones but no, you have no reason to be concerned about any DLC being remotely similar to it.

Old World Blues is pretty much like stepping into an episode of Futurama. If you liked Fallout 2's nonstop goofy poo poo, you'll probably love it. The gameplay isn't really spectacular there (ROBOSCORPIONSSSSS), but the locations and writing more than make up for it.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

jackofarcades posted:

I had a setup of:

Level 20
100 Guns
9 Luck
Finesse
Better Criticals
Police Pistol

And it would often taken 4 close headshots to down one. Which isn't bad, but it's all my AP and doing limb damage real time is pretty hard cause I can't aim.

That isn't really that bad at all. I had a similar build and just had a knife hotkeyed to run up and dismember them once they dropped. I wouldn't say that makes them bullet sponges, but Dead Money definitely does make you a tiny bit more vulnerable than you normally are in the Mojave. I get that a very few people might play Fallout as a dressup power fantasy, but I really enjoyed going back to having to be smart to survive, even if it was only briefly.

ed: well okay, maybe not "smart." more like "not completely reckless"

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Node posted:

Is that.. is that the guy from that Mexican television show in King of the Hill?

Via... con dios

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

CommanderCoffee posted:

I knew that but I suppose I am retarded

\/\/\/:saddowns:

Pharmaskittle fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Oct 17, 2011

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

YOURFRIEND posted:

I had veronica last go round, and while I love her I was thinking lily, but lily doesn't synergize with my character so I'm going cass or raul, neither of which I've ever had in my party before.

Cass is alright, but Raul can be a total killing machine.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

The trick is to use more of them. Nobody should ever be sucking down just one grenade. The weight limit is constantly kicking your rear end but holy poo poo is it funny when you get a bunch of Fiends or something together in one spot.

I was playing a pretty combat-ineffective character recently but owned the hell out of the early game once I started throwing sticks of dynamite everywhere.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Strudel Man posted:

Fact: That Gun has a critical multiplier of 2.5, .5 higher than your precious deagle.
Fact: That Gun has a minimum spread of .5, making it more accurate than A Jerk Shining In Badness, which has .55.
Fact: That Gun has a base damage per shot of 30 - while this is admittedly ~10% less than ALSID's 33, that totally doesn't matter because it's that gun from Blade Runner.

Mostly I've just used too many 1911's in video games to give a poo poo about a compact one with some goofy engravings on the side. That Gun, on the other hand, is a one-of-a-kind firearm, obviously made with love and skill. :colbert:

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Allahu Snackbar posted:

So F:NV has finally made me decide to be one of those people who dress up and go to cons or something:

:hist101:

That banner might be the hardest part of the costume too, because the rest is basically sports equipment.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

Nah, the hard bit is getting his head back on after someone inevitably punches it off.

Please let there be a Boone cosplayer at the convention. :pray:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Zorak posted:

So since I've gone into every DLC basically naked before, I suppose I should ask: how hosed would I be if I tried that with LR, given how it sounds like it's Deathclaw City.

How confident are you in your character's ability to use a full-auto rocket launcher?

edit: on a scale of 1 to "America"