Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Playing a Gamebryo game and not being able to open console is a form of self-inflicted punishment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

There's not really a time limit on House if he isn't taken out of his pod but House is such a big personality and story bulwark that it'd be kind of tacky to keep him on. It satisfies both Yes Man and House endings if House "eventually passes naturally" one way or another and leaves behind a steward AI.

The Legion is nomadic by design but has huge stretches of stable land where "raiders don't exist anymore" and people get formal educations and so on. A split into a few post-Legion factions would be pretty interesting. No, the Legion likely won't stay stable after Caesar passes. There will still be loads of secondary leaders who step into that power vacuum motivated by varying degrees of "I sure do like stable society!" And Legion society has a lot of ugly parts to it so you can get power struggles and philosophical differences there, some post-Legion cultures that aren't tyrannical jerks, 1-2(or one being jerked around by the real big bad) that are like HELL YEAH SLAVERY and jackasses so I have dudes to shoot. The militarized, nomadic advancing force of the Legion could certainly be or split into antagonistic forces under the same or new banners.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

2house2fly posted:

When you blow up the bunker there's a countdown and pounding alarms, presumably they evacuate the children first

I don't think anyone has a coordinated evacuation when the average Brotherhood Bunker Buster plan is 1) kill everyone you see to reach the console because lol these guys are my enemies this playthrough or 2) enjoy neutrality for as long as possible and sneak to the console to turn the self destruct on and then sprint to the exit tanking a few laser shots.

In 1 all the off screen children are probably hiding under their beds and in 2 anyone in the Brotherhood won't figure out what is going on in the gracious two minutes you've given them.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

The Fallout setting is pretty interesting because the question of security vs freedom isn't as simple to solve. Obviously to you or me collaboration with fascists is bad. Now put yourselves into the shoes of a guy thinking "it'd be nice to eat food today" or "I hope nothing violently murders me today" be that wildlife or other humans.

The Legion does a lot of lovely stuff. No arguing that. What's fun to speculate about is what happens when Caesar and Lanius are gone and how the Legion values stick. They claim to hold entire states worth of territory. I'm (possibly misremembering) references to an education system. Even if Caesar drops dead and the Legion army explodes down to the man at the Hoover Dam you're not going to have stable communities back home collapse. Those people are gonna say "well this is working and it beats dying" and go with it, then fight each other over differences in how they do it.

Also definitely don't believe for a second that the Legion are bog-standard magical raiders who locust over a region and demolish it to sustain themselves. They've got supply lines and home areas where they grow food. Even honest to god idiot factions in other IPs have guys who produce food and weapons.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Same I learned enough to abuse a win like 30% of the time and ground it out watching videos on 2nd monitor. Caravan is intriguing but very unintuitive.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

You: deep moral considerations and the careful weighing of all possible outcomes

Me:

This has been a very fun and illuminating debate.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah the companion conversations are so golden, I will always save my man Raul in the mid game. It's just a nice extra that he kicks rear end if you inspire him to become a vigilante hero.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

BM is a really fun and dangerous build check(much like deciding you want to go somewhere and cazadors exist along the path) and I enjoy it thoroughly, just a dangerous environment that is also unlike most others in the game in design.

Raul is worth it every time as well, great story/quest.. contet(the triggers are pretty obtuse), fantastic chats and perfect VA. He's such a loyal goon to a varying degrees of unhinged courier.

Gee boss, are we going in guns blazing? I'm right behind you!

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Aug 6, 2022

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Grimthwacker posted:

Now I have to prevent President Kimball's assassination, and I'm being all sorts of paranoid looking around, seeing if there's anything out of the ordinary, like the engineer who was talking about her friend who hasn't shown up yet and now I'm looking for the barracks in this massive dam and I feel like I'm going to spend hours before kicking things off.

Ah, how I envy you your blind playthrough here. Have fun. :haw:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

3 is buggy, stupidly edgy, and will permanently kill any companions you bring. As in the mod tells you not to bring companions, and if you do the villain will execute them all to punish you and the mod will permanently delete them from the save file so you can't even cheat to revive them.

lol

lmao

Got any primo samples of the edginess? Bounties 1 felt alright, I'd remember if there was anything truly heinous.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Ah, my favorite, forced player reactions in a relatively freeform(for character creation and actions) RPG.

I'd complain about the mod dev having the nerve but I played Lonesome Road already. :twisted:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Vavrek posted:

It's still the best suggestion I've seen, from someone in this thread:

[Speech 100] What the gently caress are you talking about, Ulysses? I've never been here before.

I'd love that.

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

From what the dev has admitted, he was going through a rough patch/depression when he wrote New Vegas Bounties III, and given the opportunity, he'd do it differently now. So I see it as less nerve and more "depression can make you write some horrible stuff."

I hear his Better Angels tries to patch things up about it, and I've only heard good things for it. I'll still give the man kudos, he's created days worth of content for an old game for free, I won't grudge him too much if the story isn't to my liking. 1 bad mod (story-wise) out of 6 or 7 is a great track record when you see NV California/The Frontier/Beyond Boulder Dome couldn't even get one good one.

Ah, nice to hear there's more to it. And I did enjoy Bounties 1! I'll have to mod more aggressively the next time Vegas demands my time.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

This is preposterous! You can't just put New Vegas on top of the Simpsons or the Simpsons on top of New Vegas!

Animal Friend posted:

I don't think I ever read Ulysses as Frank Grimes before but it works lmao.

"And now I'm launching a nuclear warhead because I'm the COURIER!"

Drakyn posted:

Holy poo poo this is precisely just what he is.

Ulysses: Look everybody! The Courier's in a quest to help ghouls!
Veronica: Hey shhhhh!
Boone: You're making us miss the quest.

Jason Bright: Could you explain your plan, young man?
Ulysses: What's to explain!? He's an idiot!
Veronica: Pipe down!
Courier: Well basically I just activated the rockets in the silos we have now.
Jason Bright: Hmmm!
Courier: Then I added some fins to lower wind resistance and this racing stripe mod I feel is pretty sharp.
Jason Bright: Agreed! Quest complete!

Ulysses: WHAT?!
Boone: Way to go Courier!
Veronica: You're number one Courier!
Ulysses: BUT THIS WAS A QUEST FOR CHILDREN
Veronica: Yeah! And the Courier beat its brains out!

---

Ulysses: You idiot! You almost programmed their flight path straight into a mountain!
Courier: Mountain, eh? Jeez, that would have been stupid! [laughs] Wow, would my face have been red! [laughs again]

Jesus Christ. :laffo:

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 30, 2022

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I'd assume 20 or 30, given how the scaling works. Will it not scale as harshly if you go really early? Could always save outside the entrance and see how fast you can fight some Super Ghoulies. But Lonesome Road has perfect stealth breakers at long distance, forced encounters with end game enemies in groups and so on. It's very Final Area.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I understand disliking the feeling of a time limit in a video game on principle but you have to get lost and deliberately travel back and forth or try to explore every tile methodically to risk the water chip timer and even if you do get a bad draw you just use what you learn to shotgun the quest steps next time. I did it blind in like 1/3rd the time. It's very generous.

You're far more likely to make a character that gets stonewalled in combat and reroll because of that for FO1. :haw:

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 1, 2023

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

"lol all you have to do to defeat the invincible ghosts that shoot you with energy weapon grade lasers is to ignore them, run by them and attack hidden emitters while they shoot you in the back and you're choking to death in a weird fog, what a stupid plan Elijah"

I guess it'd be stupid if Elijah had to ask you to wait to fight while he physically walks the emitter over to the battle site. :v: Pretty nightmarish and effective defense for the average wastelander.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

He's just a guy in a hard lovely world doing what he sees as work he can handle to survive. He's got nothing on the brahmin barons.

quote:

"Between having to hire protection and getting slapped with taxes, it's more profitable to stick to Arizona and New Mexico. But, I do cross the river from time to time when an opportunity comes along."

"Hell, I don't even need to travel with guards most of the time in Legion territory. All the bandits are dead or run off."

Hiring protection which itself has a chance to just rob you is a lot more substantial than trade taxes, especially trade taxes for a government that can't keep the roads safe. Even assuming 100% benevolence that's a huge profit hit for walking enormous distances.

Security vs Freedom is one of the better arguments the series makes overall in a lot of cases and probably the only true sticking point the Legion has. It's really hard to argue morality if the alternative is being dead, though that itself is a pretty hard moral argument, living as a slave vs dying free, etc. And the Legion suffers from having indefensible evil stances like misogyny and slavery so I can't do anything for them unless that playthrough is one where I say "he heh I think I'll be bad this time."

But I can't really fault a guy who wants to use the safe roads and has no reasonable power to change things on either side of the river. He could do trading and bring supplies to those who oppose the Legion but the NCR doesn't give him much reason to believe in them. Think of it this way when you consider the importance of secure roads: going from Goodsprings to Novac will likely get you attacked by at least two groups of raiders and the only realistic reason you survive is because you're a video game character with abstracted physical capabilities.

Maybe it'd make more sense if you could introduce him to the Crimson Caravan, who'd I assume can have protection on staff and roll it into merchant dues/taxes.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I'm sure they do but there's loads of mention and several direct quests that the NCR are stretched so thin that several large stretches of New Vegas are just "lol good luck."

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Somebody at Bethesda in charge of writing triple downed on the dumbest parts of 3 going into 4 and beyond so I'd buy that. :v: Ever since I saw the Brotherhood zeppelin fly in in 4 I've wondered who on staff is eternally mad.

But realistically a corporation just shrugged and followed a contract to the letter of the law to save a small amount of money and it feels bad because New Vegas would go on to become the gold standard of the series, especially in writing. IMO Bethesda should've just given them the bonus even if much later to be nice.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

The actual fly-in is fine spectacle. I've got nothing against the b-movie charm. It still represents somebody looking at the writing in 3, the fan reaction, and thinking "I'll show them" immediately after mixed reception there and universal praise for the Brotherhood of 1, 2 and NV. And of course the sum total of the writing for each major faction in 4 speaks for itself as to how good a job anybody did on defending the Bethesda vision of the world.

I could argue that the 4 Brotherhood is actually a faithful interpretation of the isolationist and xenophobic brotherhood of 1, 2, NV but then Bethesda went and made everybody really god drat stupid in the end. But it is also my personal speculation, that a major writing manager at Beth committed a petty grudge to major world building. :allears: While we're making baseless guesses about how two game companies feel about each other ten years ago and all.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

If you see death claws en route to the Khans you're off track.

If you see the OTHER horrible death monsters, giant wasps, then you're on the right path. How the gently caress do the Khans live there

Also consider bringing lots of land mines to deal with death claws. You can't blame them for charging prey and obliterating it considering how good they are at that but you can certainly exploit it.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I think any group that doesn't have it would have a high chance of falling in line for dedicated food, water, shelter, heating, cooling, refrigeration, lighting, other electrical luxuries, automated security, huge financial gain, raw power, weapons and House's assertion that if you get in his way he'll kill you.

And the swank duds, of course.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

I found her to have as much wacky casual adventure buddy vibe and nuanced character development as everybody else. I guess nerds don't need much excuse to bash their targets for being remotely adjacent to whatever offends dumb nerds? I didn't know Felicia from anything else, Veronica was just a notch higher on wacky than average. Everybody can be pretty god drat funny but dial it back for good world building when you want a conversation break between gunfights and to push their quests which are all well-written and moody and dramatic as hell.

ED-E: cute pet robot, goes beep boop, plays THEME MUSIC. Probably least offensive overall.

Rex: cute pet robot dog, goes beep bark, also hard to take any real stance against unless you hate dogs.

Cassidy: rootin' tootin' shootin' shitkicker pal. LONG DICK JOHNSON. Cucks you?!?!?! I'm sure there's nerds that hate women and hate both of them but Cass seems to dodge the lightning drawn to Veronica.

Boone: So god drat serious that itself is a bit wacky. Like if you take his hat away it's comedy gold in the delivery. May actually be too straightforward otherwise, not a lot of nuance past "sniper" and "100% dead serious" and "lovely recent history."

Raul: So people hate Veronica for being wacky but you can adventure with this guy, my favorite companion by a mile. Nerds are dumb.

Lily: I guess the wacky balances out with the endearing and people really can't hate on adventuring with swole grandma. Her personal quest is way too sad for anyone to be taken seriously trying to take a swing at Lily!

Arcade: One of the most nuanced fellas, I often give him a pass because I'm having too much fun with the usuals. I don't like that I have knowledge of the current cultural zeitgeist and that I suspect some people sell him to Caesar and gently caress him over for some sort of "owning a leftie", but I'm also happy to not spend too much time imagining strawmen like that. I think making Arcade your buddy requires a very specific RP concept of the Courier because otherwise he's the no-fun allowed guy in my dumb personal head canon. "Smart Guy and Idiot" is a classic pairing though.

Veronica: Voiced by nerd culture girl. Slightly too wacky. Criminally wacky. An actually perfectly reasonable development for somebody who spends their entire life in a rigid orderly sect that offers no reasonable future.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

Wait, when does that happen? That'S hilarious.

"Cass survived to see the NCR flag flying proud over Hoover Dam, and thought for a moment... this is what a hero must feel like. She was about to tell the Courier not to get too proud of himself/herself, then she figured he/she knew that already...

... That night, Cass kicked in the door of his room to celebrate, only to find the man on the bed was an NCR soldier whose barracks had been destroyed. He was cute, though, so after having her way with him, she got the hell out, leaving an empty whiskey bottle as a note. As she walked along the Dam in the night, she felt drunk, content, and happy to be alive. Which to her, was the whole point of it all." - Side with the NCR at the end, complete Heartache by the Number, and play as a male courier.

I find it funny too but I was airing a little stream of consciousness about why lamer nerds might get mad about the NV companions and I've seen that one before in the wild.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

If that isn't a dog named Bark Obama it really should be. :mad:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

"Your actions have consequences, Courier! You should've opened that package!"

"Bro do you know how incredible it is that there are people willing to deliver goods and don't just steal the package every time in this setting to begin with? You want me to open and tamper with peoples goods?"

"You should've looked!"

"OK, it's a random technological device. I should've recognized this?"

"Uhh... Bear and Bull!"

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

DeathChicken posted:

Honest Hearts is odd in that the main story of it is really short, but there is a great big and interesting sidequest to do that's much longer (and you are not steered into recognizing its existence at all)

I know I'm going to hurt myself by learning about this for the first time, but I have to ask what sidequest is that?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Shop prices buying and selling.

Drug duration and reduced chance of addiction.

Companion Damage, HP and Defenses.

Uhh. Energy weapon damage. No, I won't be explaining how it works.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Alpha Protocol really deserves a successor in dialogue writing if it can't get a sequel.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

DM and LR certainly feel the longest. LR is for optimized combat characters and if you hate the story the story elements can really drag and add next to nothing. It's a dangerous area without a lot of "soft" moments like casual exploration and relaxed conversation/questing in a town hub or anything.

DM is a great self contained story and extension of some bits of NV but it is very, very long to learn blind with lots of OHKO death traps and dangerous environments/enemies that demand more from you than usual. The story bits and writing are great but definitely demand you be interested and focused to appreciate them the most. Maybe I'm a genuine dim bulb but I assume if you're not in the mood then stuff like talking to Dog/God will just be a numb haze you'll miss entirely and not appreciate.

Both good DLCs on average, since I've heard people hate and love them in equal measure but not because they're poorly made. The bonuses and items are cool to use but total victory lap territory.

Rockstar Massacre posted:

some people will also swear DM is very difficult and frustrating but i think they just handle pressure badly, i think it's the most engaging one. also the level-scaling won't hit you as hard there.

DM asks you to play the game in a way most people don't in 3/NV/4 and is very punishing if you mess it up, as well as with an equipment reset and the no mercy death traps. Once you know what to do then yeah, it's easier than LR, but going in blind and already feeling fatigue...

I had to take a break during DM release because I was physically getting sick. It's a really oppressive experience so well done but still tiring.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 3, 2023

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

:smug: Graham has to change his bandages daily and you meet him checking guns en masse. You're wearing his leftovers and extras, I see no problem with this as long as I look drip AF.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

If disqualification for any faction being the correct one is "has made <X+1> mistakes since their founding" then Yes Man is the best ending since nothing will ever meet that standard but at least I'm personally satisfied. :v:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

esquilax posted:

Fallout isn't LOTR. It's hard to ruin an IP where the initial marketing push was "Victims don't just perish, they get cut in half, melt into a pile of goo, or explode like a blood sausage"

You say that but the worst parts of FO3 and 4 by far are writing the motivations of the characters for drama. Maybe Bethesda isn't involved there or they sent the Far Harbour crew over. :v:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Gonna chuckle for the rest of my life at the idea that the average courier would know what an eyebot does and that it's linked to those nukes by breaking sanctity of the package and looking at what they're delivering. Ah yes, a robot. The moral path forward is clear.

Gotta take risks to innovate but didn't quite hit the mark.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

A comedy where Ulysses is actually the only reliable narrator because he can see you do actions within video game parameters. Every time he points this out to anyone else you are immersed and acting/talking normally. It's like Michigan J. Frog.

"They can stop time! Heal and run indefinitely! How can you not see this!? They just convinced a man to reverse his entire world view in a sentence!"

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Do you find that funny, Courier Six!? :allears:

Original Beavis and Butthead Clip.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Feels like changes in development over time. Like they had the Strip entrance multi-path functional and added in Victor later, since I always feel like he was a bit of a late addition and goes missing for long times narratively. Just my opinion, I don't have the facts here. I'd always see Victor after long hours and think oh yeah this guy exists. Given the quick dev time and that it's a pretty solid foundation all the same keeping it in is an easy win for a layered, multiple path section.

Also in any problem solving in vidya assume that half the playerbase is dumb as a box of rocks, playing blind and not genre savvy in the least and giving them a strict 2k caps to get in at least sets their focus... and they'll discover all these extra ways in trying to do side jobs for cash if for whatever reason saving money is alien to them. (Bad, very bad, blow all your savings on consumable and new guns constantly, etc.) I like to think of it as "ah yeah, games were a lot harder when I was a kid too."

House forcing you to demonstrate initiative is on brand too.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

It'll at least be a perfectly above average paint by numbers nerd action show if the antagonist has a motivation more advanced than "my plans are too advanced to be explained to you, also I'm putting you in charge of the Institute in a direct act of nepotism."

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

There isn't a chance in hell they'll let anything from FO1 or FO2 limit them which is almost a reasonable idea but we'll wait to see how unreasonably far they carry it. "The show takes place X years after FO1 so that area changed this way" vs "The Brotherhood exists in 76/who cares about ghoul lore, nerds."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

dolphinbomb posted:

No matter how you treat Dean for a majority of Dead Money, if you passed the barter check in your initial conversation with him, he will always turn on you.

gently caress Dean.

I love this bit the most. It is so, so rare for a dialogue game to write engaging outcomes that don't punish you for success but flow naturally from the outcome leading to a mixed result. Dean being that petty and spiteful is wonderful.

I haven't played as many good dialogue games as I'd have liked to so the only other one I remember is Alpha Protocol where you specifically have to make a guy develop a grudge against you by being an unprofessional jackass to him as often as possible so he'll abandon his pragmatism just to kill you.